• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Another option it would be to spam attack as he tries to attack you. My sister did it that way lmao, she just attacket and for whatever reason thunderblight used its shield isntead of completing the attack animation, she kept attacking until it broke.

Oh nice, I should try this out! I was thinking of
activating the shrine in the castle and getting fairies before my next attempt lol.

W-00

Bomb arrows are scarce and expensive. Unless you have a good farming spot for them I wouldn't recommend farming that. You'll become stronger eventually and Lynels will be easier to kill with less resources.

Use standard arrows and practice headshots. A well placed shot will stun them. Then mount and hit away with your strongest weapon. As far as I can tell, all weapons hit an equal amount of time, and none incur a durability penalty if you strike while mounted. The only resource you'll use is standard arrows, and you'll take a slight hit on bow durability. With a little practice you should master the timing for dismounting, so you can open your parasail before he runs away, then get another headshot in so you can restart the process. Lynels become easy this way, and require much less resource expenditure than virtually every other monster in the game.

Thanks. I'll try to keep this advice in mind.

Yeah well I came across this woman who enhanced my clothing. And I found something calleda Korok seed. And I found the painter too but following him didn't help me the slightest in finding anything resembling anything I've got in my album.

So you followed Pikango up to near the
Great Fairy Fountain
? He wants you to take a picture of it and show it to him. Once you do that, every time you meet him at a stable you can show him a picture (the nearest one will automatically be chosen) and he'll give you advice on how to find it.

Red

Almost at 500 koroks and I'm still running into them in places I've already explored.

86 shrines completed. I think I have another 10-15 marked on the map, but not finished. I wonder if I've found all the non-quest shrines. I've combed the world map several times over and have not heard the sensor go off. But I have no idea if by some chance I've repeatedly overlooked a certain area, or if some shrines don't get pinged by the sensor. I have marked at least five shrines I can't yet access (one in Kakariko, one under a waterfall near the Zora village, one at the sandseal race in the desert, one on the southern coast where a woman is embracing an orb, and one on the southeastern coast where a man is trying to decipher a broken slab).

I am decked out with guardian weapons after all these tests of strength. Got a 69 damage output axe that has served me well in three tests, and is still going strong.

I also decided to explore Hateno. Bought all the armor available at the shop, and paid Bolson to buy a house. I like to think this is Link's old house from before the calamity. I lit all the blue torches, but can't yet activate the furnace by the lab.

I understand many of the frustrations people have expressed about the shrine design. Some of the puzzles are truly ingenious, and inject a new sense of play into the tired Zelda formula. Others are painfully simple. I tend to dislike shrines that rely on stasis for timing cannons and the like, though I have used stasis elsewhere for interesting results—to stop falling objects, or to hold switches before having found a heavy object. The combat shrines are not very interesting, and there are too many of them. With more variation they would be compelling. Why reuse the same enemies over and over again? It feels like this part of the game received less attention than others.

I saved in a shrine in the Gerudo area that tasks Link with bringing an ice cube through a gauntlet of fire. I think I see the path forward, and will try tomorrow. But I wonder if anyone has managed to
balance the cube on the metal box, and sent it to the upper floor by magnetizing the box.
This would bypass the gauntlet.
I tried several times but could not keep the cube from sliding off. Surely it is possible.

jariw

I can't do anything against these camps of pigs or whatever they are. I throw a bomb at them but it doesn't take them out in one explosion. And there's like 10 of them including a very tall monster here at the beach. I keep dying all the time...

Is it the side quest, where you should defeat all monsters at the beach? You can defeat them by hiding and not being at the beach. Look at the surroundings and use the tools you have in your toolkit. It'll take time, but it's doable.

piggychan

How do you get Link's classic clothes in this game?

pretty sure it was from this one. although the link classic clothes appear randomly and you can only use it once a day.
Toon_Link.jpg

I think the 8 bit Link amiibo is the only way to get the classic outfit.

I think people here are using the words "classic outfit" to mean different things. Each Link amiibo gives you the outfit he wore in the game the amiibo is from, so there are outfits​ of Link from Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and the original​ Legend of Zelda (which you get from the 8-bit Link amiibo). I think some people just want any one of those; i.e. a green tunic and pointy hat.

I like the 8-bit one in particular because it has the skimpiest "trousers":

They're even shorter than Link's default underwear shorts :p

So I just came back to the game after about a month hiatus that started while my Switch was getting fixed.

Reminded of just how gooooodd it is.

Just finished
divine beast 2 of 4 - I did Ruta then Rudania
. Now hunting for
the master sword

Pachimari

How do you get Link's classic clothes in this game?

Is it the side quest, where you should defeat all monsters at the beach? You can defeat them by hiding and not being at the beach. Look at the surroundings and use the tools you have in your toolkit. It'll take time, but it's doable.
Yes, it's the one at the beach. I've now abandoned it but there's only one little pig and a large one left there. Maybe I can stand at the top of the hill and throw down bombs to take them out slowly.

I think people here are using the words "classic outfit" to mean different things. Each Link amiibo gives you the outfit he wore in the game the amiibo is from, so there are outfits​ of Link from Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and the original​ Legend of Zelda (which you get from the 8-bit Link amiibo). I think some people just want any one of those; i.e. a green tunic and pointy hat.
But I can also get the green outfit with the pointy hat and such by completing certain objectives in the game?

But I can also get the green outfit with the pointy hat and such by completing certain objectives in the game?

Yes, by completing
all 120 shrines
, so it's one of the most difficult/time-consuming tasks in the game. And judging by how much difficulty you're having with the most basic quests... I wouldn't hold my breath :p

Mind you each "green outfit with the pointy hat" is unique and different from each other, including the one that doesn't require amiibo.

Pachimari

Yes, by completing
all 120 shrines
, so it's one of the most difficult/time-consuming tasks in the game. And judging by how much difficulty you're having with the most basic quests... I wouldn't hold my breath :p

Mind you each "green outfit with the pointy hat" is unique and different from each other, including the one that doesn't require amiibo.
Well, one day when I feel comfortable in the world I'll manage to do it, believe in me. ^_^

Hylian7

Couple of things:

I sent my friend the Wii U version (he doesn't have a Switch) for his birthday. He's playing it and telling me about it, and it made me want to pick it up again. He decided to try going straight to the castle as soon as he got off the plateau, then he was telling me something. The following is Hyrule Castle spoilers:

He said he couldn't get past Thunderblight Ganon. I said "Oh, so you went out and did a Beast?" He said no, it was in the castle in the "Sanctum". I was thinking "wtf,
that's weird." When I played I did all four beasts before doing the castle. I decided to start a fresh file on another Switch profile, and went straight for the castle. Sure enough,
in the Sanctum, Thunderblight Ganon. I had NO IDEA until now that you fight the blight Ganons if you didn't beat the Diving Beasts.

He decided to bail on the castle and go see everything else, so then he's been telling me about his experiences and it's made me want to go explore more in my original file. Already I found some interesting things that I somehow never found before, and I had over 100 hours of gameplay. I was also missing 16 shrines, and as of right now I think I am missing 14 if I remember correctly.

1. (Tabantha region):
For some reason I never bothered going beneath the great bridge. I found the golf game down there. I need to figure out how to make the hole in one. The lowest I could get is 6, but I'm sure I could probably get lower. I just decided to explore the gorge more and found the Shrine there.

2. (Also Tabantha region):
I found the Forgotten Temple. I thought that was so interesting to find something like that down there. Then I walked in and hear that angry Charlie Brown piano and A BILLION LASERS pointed right at me. Dear god that was scary. I had to back out and think about how I was going to tackle that. I determined the only way was to pop a speed food, and glide through dodging lasers.
So I did. I ended up dying once, but I was able to get through. Man that shit was nuts.
I finally made it to the shrine and did the shrine. That was a cool place that I somehow never saw before.

I'm mainly searching for shrines, but really just interesting locations in general, which I am still seeing a ton of little places along the way. At this point, there's no way any of the shrines I am missing are visible in plain sight. They're either hidden under something or require some kind of puzzle to get to. Either way I'm enjoying searching for them. I'm also in the process of getting all the cool armor I haven't gotten yet, most of it is stuff like the (Akkala)
Guardian Armor
or (Gerudo)
Armor made in the gem shop, as well as the Voe armor.

Anteo

Couple of things:

I sent my friend the Wii U version (he doesn't have a Switch) for his birthday. He's playing it and telling me about it, and it made me want to pick it up again. He decided to try going straight to the castle as soon as he got off the plateau, then he was telling me something. The following is Hyrule Castle spoilers:

He said he couldn't get past Thunderblight Ganon. I said "Oh, so you went out and did a Beast?" He said no, it was in the castle in the "Sanctum". I was thinking "wtf,
that's weird." When I played I did all four beasts before doing the castle. I decided to start a fresh file on another Switch profile, and went straight for the castle. Sure enough,
in the Sanctum, Thunderblight Ganon. I had NO IDEA until now that you fight the blight Ganons if you didn't beat the Diving Beasts.

He decided to bail on the castle and go see everything else, so then he's been telling me about his experiences and it's made me want to go explore more in my original file. Already I found some interesting things that I somehow never found before, and I had over 100 hours of gameplay. I was also missing 16 shrines, and as of right now I think I am missing 14 if I remember correctly.

1. (Tabantha region):
For some reason I never bothered going beneath the great bridge. I found the golf game down there. I need to figure out how to make the hole in one. The lowest I could get is 6, but I'm sure I could probably get lower. I just decided to explore the gorge more and found the Shrine there.

2. (Also Tabantha region):
I found the Forgotten Temple. I thought that was so interesting to find something like that down there. Then I walked in and hear that angry Charlie Brown piano and A BILLION LASERS pointed right at me. Dear god that was scary. I had to back out and think about how I was going to tackle that. I determined the only way was to pop a speed food, and glide through dodging lasers.
So I did. I ended up dying once, but I was able to get through. Man that shit was nuts.
I finally made it to the shrine and did the shrine. That was a cool place that I somehow never saw before.

I'm mainly searching for shrines, but really just interesting locations in general, which I am still seeing a ton of little places along the way. At this point, there's no way any of the shrines I am missing are visible in plain sight. They're either hidden under something or require some kind of puzzle to get to. Either way I'm enjoying searching for them. I'm also in the process of getting all the cool armor I haven't gotten yet, most of it is stuff like the (Akkala)
Guardian Armor
or (Gerudo)
Armor made in the gem shop, as well as the Voe armor.

re:final boss.

Thats why some people find the final boss disapointing and others find it amazing, it all depends on how early on your quest you try ganon for the first time.

jariw

Yes, it's the one at the beach. I've now abandoned it but there's only one little pig and a large one left there. Maybe I can stand at the top of the hill and throw down bombs to take them out slowly.

Yes, you can hide behind that hill without making visual contact with the enemies. Just make sure to complete the quest before the next blood moon.

Red

I haven't tackled the final boss yet, and so far don't find Ganon to be imposing in this game. He doesn't have much presence. It sort of feels like he's just sitting there waiting to die. He's stuck in the Sanctum and doesn't seem to pose any real or imminent threat. Even the guardians, as dangerous as they may be, don't ever encroach on towns or villages, and the divine beasts seem impotent outside maybe the elephant, who is causing some potential damage.

I'm having a hard time deciding which armor I should wear for combat situations. I'm just looking for an all-round good armor. There's also the fact that upgrading some of the armor pieces is a huge commitment...

The ancient armor seems to be the way to go, but upgrading that might take a while.

Red

I stick to barbarian armor for most fights. It saves time. Damage output is increased which helps dispatch monsters that much faster.

I'm having a hard time deciding which armor I should wear for combat situations. I'm just looking for an all-round good armor. There's also the fact that upgrading some of the armor pieces is a huge commitment...

The ancient armor seems to be the way to go, but upgrading that might take a while.

Did you buy the knight(?) armor in Hateno village? I found that one easier to upgrade than Ancient armor and its defense is just as good (minus guardian damage set bonus).

I only recently fully upgraded the Champion's tunic (the blue one that lets you see enemy health) and was surprised it became the best defense stat tunic I have. I always wondered if it was part of a set with hood and trousers that I have missed?

I change outfit pretty frequently based on situation: climbing, stealth, combat, element​al enemy/environment, and I even change into Zora set if I'll be swimming a lot.

Caelus

Well, that was fun. :) I'm actually kind of relieved that I can explore the overworld without worrying about missing a shrine. I'm looking forward to stumbling upon Korok seeds and new sidequests - my thirst for the DLC grows ever stronger.

My current getup reminds me of Link Between Worlds Link:

Feels so good to walk around in a green tunic.

aravuus

I was planning on buying a Switch soon, but since I just graduated from uni and my parents heard I wanted one, they bought it for me today instead. So now I've got a Switch! And what better game to try it out than the same Zelda game that I've already played for 25 hours on Wii U lol.

The upped res and actually stable framerate make a massive difference. Much, MUCH nicer to play. And look at. And thanks to the pick-up-and-play nature of the Switch (vs. the loud, snail-paced process of starting and playing the game on the Wii U), maybe I'll actually get a bit further in on this playthrough.

Gonna be cool to see what kinds of stuff I've missed in the early areas.

e: hell, maybe I'll go and play this damn thing in the park next to my apartment at some point since the weather's been so nice on most days. Gonna need those rubber grips for the joy-cons before I can do that though, eesh. This thing will currently kill my hands... Just like the 3DS :/

aravuus

grats on graduating!

Thanks!

Ended up playing for almost two hours longer than I was planning to. Still gonna need those joy-con grips, but when I found a bit more comfortable way to hold the Switch, laying on the bed and just running around, looking for seeds and shrines became very relaxing. Got a good feeling the Switch is going to be my favorite Nintendo console.

I finally found a Switch and started BOTW. I just got to the part where I have to find the 4 divine beasts. I'm getting 1 shot by most of the common mobs, except for the most basic ones. Is this normal? Do I just need to git gud? I haven't found any armor yet beyond the cold resistant coat and the climbing bandana. Help?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I finally found a Switch and started BOTW. I just got to the part where I have to find the 4 divine beasts. I'm getting 1 shot by most of the common mobs, except for the most basic ones. Is this normal? Do I just need to git gud? I haven't found any armor yet beyond the cold resistant coat and the climbing bandana. Help?

There's a clothing store in town, go there and buy some real armor. But yea, you need to get good. The game is supposed to be hard at the outset.

About a week and a half ago I ticked a major item off my list and tamed
the Lord of the Mountain
. Since then, I haven't played much, but I've been riding around the world just to take screenshots.

That came to an abrupt end just now in the silliest way: I fought a Stalnox in the rain while mounted (I'd defeated several Hinoxes before without dismounting so I could keep my ride), switched to shock arrows to finish it off, and fired too closely. The mount, caught within the lightning's area of effect, vanished under me in an instant.

Oh well; it was fun while it lasted. A nice conclusive end to that particular adventure before we get DLC 1 in two weeks' time. (Still three side quests left to complete, meanwhile...)

Which can I safely sell?

Diamond
Opal
Ruby
Sapphire
Topaz
Opal
Amber

I think they're used for crafting at some point but I have several of each and don't know how many I might need.

DirtyLarry

Somehow I have not stumbled upon
a single memory yet
and I am a good 80 hours in. I have not tried to find them yet, but I thought for sure I would stumble upon at least one.

Just my weekly or so post to say how I think this might be the best game ever made.
I also broke down and picked up some Amiibo cards off eBay and kind of regret it, kind of do not. I do feel as if this will be a game I replay, so now that I have used the cards I feel my current game is tainted so might as well continue using them (at least that is how I justify it in my head), and on my replay I will go with no help whatsoever.

For some reason I am just focusing on the towers right now. Not sure if that is the right approach or not, but besides the Ammibo cards and looking up recipes one night, I have not used anything else as far as guidance, so I am not really sure what the hell I am doing. I just know I have never even come close yet to getting bored doing what I am doing, which is crazy as I have not played any one single game over 40 hours in at least 5 years. And that includes MP games. I have a pretty short attention span with games and I also pick up a lot of different games as I can afford to do so and I like variety, but I have not touched any of my other systems since I got the Switch about a month ago now. And last I checked, which was last week, the system said I spent over 80 hours with BOTW, so I am probably nearing 100 hours.

That is bonkers are reason enough for me to declare it one of my favorite games ever made. I have not played a single game in a row as much as I have played this since Mario 64. Nintendo just knows how to make incredibly engaging games. This is why despite the ups and downs over the years for me, they are among, if not, the best to ever do it.

JoeNut

just got back into this and still loving it, god damn though i sold all my luminous stones for cash and then realised i needed them for that
cool suit in gerudo
and a quest

just got back into this and still loving it, god damn though i sold all my luminous stones for cash and then realised i needed them for that
cool suit in gerudo
and a quest

Luminous stones might be the easiest gems to farm. But yeah I shake my head every time I see people telling others that it's ok to sell their gems early on.

What is safe to sell?

Depends what your goals are. Technically everything is "safe" to sell because they respawn and can be farmed (with varying difficulty). I'd say keep at the very least 30 of each stone, or closer to 100 to be on the safer side if you don't want to run short when upgrading some armor.

JoeNut

Luminous stones might be the easiest gems to farm. But yeah I shake my head every time I see people telling others that it's ok to sell their gems early on.

Depends what your goals are. Technically everything is "safe" to sell because they respawn and can be farmed (with varying difficulty). I'd say keep at the very least 30 of each stone, or closer to 100 to be on the safer side if you don't want to run short when upgrading some armor.

i got 10 from the upper something where it tells you, but i could only find 10, i think
the gerudo suit requires 9
so not sure where to go now, i sold like 50 that i'd gathered too ffs

i got 10 from the upper something where it tells you, but i could only find 10, i think
the gerudo suit requires 9
so not sure where to go now, i sold like 50 that i'd gathered too ffs

Google/YouTube is your friend. Sorry I don't have any of their mining locations memorized, but I recall them being pretty common. The cliffs around Zora's domain had a lot of them, always easier to look for them at night since they glow and can be seen from a distance.

maxcriden

With the DLC 2 announced, anyone else disappointed in the story plans? I had hoped for a fresh new (small) adventure and I'm not sure seeing Link's story 100 years ago (or even playing as the champions) is an enticing proposition in and of itself. I realize there's a lot to be revealed about it but just conceptually I'm a bit disappointed.

My wife and I were planning to return to the game when DLC Pack 1 comes out and I'm feeling kinda ambivalent. We put 110+ hours in and were feeling a bit burned out...the DLC promises some great QOL additions and we still have a lot of the world to see but I'm just...unsure... hmm.

graffix13

Finished all the shrines last night. Whew. So is it worth it to upgrade
the Wild Armor set?

Just seems like a lot of work. I have fully upgraded Ancient armor.

N° 2048

Game is addicting lol

Not going to lie, a couple of times I've been asking myself what exactly is there to do but then I stumble upon something.

Great game.

aravuus

Damn, my inventory is filled with super strong weapons (for early game, at least) that I don't really dare use against regular enemies lol. Need to find that Korok forest. I can probably go there as soon as the maraca korok dude has said he's headed out there? No need to progress the story or anything

jariw

Damn, my inventory is filled with super strong weapons (for early game, at least) that I don't really dare use against regular enemies lol. Need to find that Korok forest. I can probably go there as soon as the maraca korok dude has said he's headed out there? No need to progress the story or anything

The Korok dude makes one stop on the way to the Korok forest first. Just to make sure you're in the right direction...

Also, use the good weapons. You will almost always get better ones. There are a few collectible weapons that you get for some quests, but these are really just a few exceptions.

Macchiato

With the DLC 2 announced, anyone else disappointed in the story plans? I had hoped for a fresh new (small) adventure and I'm not sure seeing Link's story 100 years ago (or even playing as the champions) is an enticing proposition in and of itself. I realize there's a lot to be revealed about it but just conceptually I'm a bit disappointed.

My wife and I were planning to return to the game when DLC Pack 1 comes out and I'm feeling kinda ambivalent. We put 110+ hours in and were feeling a bit burned out...the DLC promises some great QOL additions and we still have a lot of the world to see but I'm just...unsure... hmm.

I understand, but at the same time I think it makes the most sense for the story to cover the events pre-game. I heard a lot of feedback from critics and regular players that it was a shame that all these cool events and characters were teased in the base game, but only in short glimpses. You feel very far removed from what happened 100 years ago.

This is a great chance to flesh out what we saw in the memories, and hopefully give the narrative of the base game a lot more context. I'm also hoping that it will be very story-heavy, since I'm itching for more narrative-focus on the world and its characters.

There's always a possibility for a full sequel or something, which I totally wouldn't mind for the next Zelda.

Am I missing something or does the fact that you have basically an endless source of materials to eat and hence heal make this game really easy to cheese?

Am I missing something or does the fact that you have basically an endless source of materials to eat and hence heal make this game really easy to cheese?

You're correct. It's unfortunate if you ask me... I haven't had any combat related challenge or death since my early hours with the game. It's broken in that regard. Amazing how fun it remains despite that.

aravuus

Speaking of endless sources of materials, what does it take for stuff like plants to respawn? I'd like to get some more fairies. Traversing to high-level areas with them in my inventory is great.

Personally I'm really happy I can just hoard healing items if I want to.

Top Bottom