• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Chinbo37

Wasted 20 arrows trying to do this one part of a shrine, failed, and had to leave to get more arrows LUL HYPERLUL

Not sure how your money situation is but i learned pretty early to just always buy every regular arrow you see for sale from anyone. Anytime I saw Beetle or visitied a town I always bought all the regular arrows.

Realeza

Banned
In between Trial of the Sword quests, I went to look for some of my missing shrines. I found this awesome, awesome shrine in Death Mountain which was hidden in a cave surrounded by lava. The puzzle inside was awesome (you had to carry a blue light across several different obstacles.) Moments like this remind me why this game is a fucking masterpiece.

Wasted 20 arrows trying to do this one part of a shrine, failed, and had to leave to get more arrows LUL HYPERLUL

Should have saved before and reloaded :p

Not sure how your money situation is but i learned pretty early to just always buy every regular arrow you see for sale from anyone. Anytime I saw Beetle or visitied a town I always bought all the regular arrows.

Yeah this is good advice. It takes sellers forever to restock arrows, so better buy them ASAP so that by the time you need more hopefully someone will have restocked.

maxcriden

In between Trial of the Sword quests, I went to look for some of my missing shrines. I found this awesome, awesome shrine in Death Mountain which was hidden in a cave surrounded by lava. The puzzle inside was awesome (you had to carry a blue light across several different obstacles.) Moments like this remind me why this game is a fucking masterpiece.

This is the one I always recommend. One of our absolute favorites, if not our favorite, of the 60 we've found. it's like a mini traditional Zelda dungeon!

Raitaro

Thought I might as well post this here: Matt Lees did a very interesting video recently for Cool Ghosts where he highlights how well BOTW's map system is designed to keep you glued to, take in the beauty of, and freely explore the actual game world and not just focus on markers, waypoints and the map itself while playing.

He uses the question of "where does a game reside" (as in, in what area / layer of the game does the player spend the most time, which in some games could be a minimap or item menus) to compare BOTW to other open world games as well and this serves to highlight even more how BOTW's map effectively mimics old paper maps by offering an abstraction of the game world that allows for more detail when zooming in without ever taking over the play experience.

Really worth a watch imo.

Mezoly

Thought I might as well post this here: Matt Lees did a very interesting video recently for Cool Ghosts where he highlights how well BOTW's map system is designed to keep you glued to, take in the beauty of, and freely explore the actual game world and not just focus on markers, waypoints and the map itself while playing.

He uses the question of "where does a game reside" (as in, in what area / layer of the game does the player spend the most time, which in some games could be a minimap or item menus) to compare BOTW to other open world games as well and this serves to highlight even more how BOTW's map effectively mimics old paper maps by offering an abstraction of the game world that allows for more detail when zooming in without ever taking over the play experience.

Great Video, worthy of it's own thread I would say. Just don't keep the title because it would attract trolls and it's the name of the show anyway.

One thing I don't completely agree on is that you don't feel the game is like work with checklists. That is true until Armor upgrades, where you would get the urge to hunt for materials and start farming where it would feel like work. Unless of course you ignore the required materials and just pick whatever on your way.

I thought I was going to quit playing once I had "beaten" DLC 1 (altho I haven't really delved much into Hard Mode yet), but even tho I already found all the new gear and completed the trials, I just sorta... keep playing. I spent 5 hours yesterday revisiting some areas.

Loved the video. Ever since I watched Game Maker's Toolkit video (which I've seen numerous times and sent to my gamer and non-gamer friends) I looked hard for other videos of the same calibur about BotW but wasn't able to find any. This one definitely scratched that itch. Thanks for sharing it.

kennah

Picked up a super old HD crt television and wow this game is even more beautiful with the super saturated colors and all.

Raitaro

Great Video, worthy of it's own thread I would say. Just don't keep the title because it would attract trolls and it's the name of the show anyway.

One thing I don't completely agree on is that you don't feel the game is like work with checklists. That is true until Armor upgrades, where you would get the urge to hunt for materials and start farming where it would feel like work. Unless of course you ignore the required materials and just pick whatever on your way.

Please go right ahead if you feel this is thread worthy. I'm off to bed shortly and generally don't have confidence enough to make threads honestly.

That said, I do agree with your last bit and I think Matt also might be referring to this later in the video when he talks about the inevitable point in every game where one masters it and stops being in awe of the game world and such, and also about how games can try to postpone that. In BOTW mastery in part expresses itself as consciously farming for items by teleporting across the map for instance, i.e. doing the checklist thing.

Loved the video. Ever since I watched Game Maker's Toolkit video (which I've seen numerous times and sent to my gamer and non-gamer friends) I looked hard for other videos of the same calibur about BotW but wasn't able to find any. This one definitely scratched that itch. Thanks for sharing it.

You're very welcome! Game Maker's Toolkit is definitely incredible too (but people usually sleep on Cool Ghosts perhaps even though their more casually presented analyses might generally be just as in-depth I find).

Mediking

Gerudo village is best village. It's a good and bad thing that I went there first after the Plateau. It was amazing and set the bar so high.... the other villages failed in comparison.

Are there any shrines on Korok Forest, other than the ones for the Korok trials?

There is one I think. It's located
next to or very close the deku tree if I remember correctly, to the right of it (when you're facing it). I always used that point to fast travel to the forest.
There's also a hidden spot nearby with
respawning Korok spear and shield.

Well, after tracking down 119 shrines and struggling for hours upon hours to find the last one, I finally relented and looked up the location of the final one.

I feel relieved and dirty at the same time. Don't judge me!

THANK YOU for posting this. I love Matt Lees and had no idea he had a new project.

TheFatMan

I'm about 15 hours into Zelda now and I feel like I enjoy the game, but just barely....

Am I crazy for thinking the combat is clunky? Also, I feel like the game goes out of its way to take away from the fun with the constant rain showers and lightning and forcing me to use sticks and shit all the time to save my good weapons....

I mean just let me have some fun for gods sake.

The game is ok, but I just can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like about it.

I'm about 15 hours into Zelda now and I feel like I enjoy the game, but just barely....

Am I crazy for thinking the combat is clunky? Also, I feel like the game goes out of its way to take away from the fun with the constant rain showers and lightning and forcing me to use sticks and shit all the time to save my good weapons....

The game is ok, but I just can't put my finger on exactly what I don't like about it.

Well, you just named a few things you don't like about it....

You really shouldn't grow attached to your weapons. They're going to break, but fortunately, you'll never run out of new ones to find. Eventually you'll have to start throwing away weapons, due to having so many.

massoluk

Banned
When the Korok Mask start shaking and I have absolutely no clue what the fuck am I missing in this god forsaken area...

Gaaaaaaaah

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Note to self: must really get a bit more disciplined about this game, learn some proper combat skills, cook stuff etc.

Well, it started off reasonably well. Went back to the Plateau, put away my bigger weapons, practiced killing some bokoblins, grabbed a load of stuff, experimented with making recipes, yay. There's so much on this plateau that I missed first time round.

Then I made the mistake of looking out over the wall. Ooh, I wonder what that is? Whips out paraglider, clambers up things, falls off things, gets hopelessly lost, sinks in mud, drops iron box on own head, gets to ride a skeleton horse, eats all the food I'd so carefully cooked and finally gets skewered by angry Moblin in some woods I have no idea where they are.

Note to self for next day: must really get a bit more disciplined about this game, learn some proper combat skills, cook stuff etc.

Wonderful.

TheFatMan

Well, you just named a few things you don't like about it....

You really shouldn't grow attached to your weapons. They're going to break, but fortunately, you'll never run out of new ones to find. Eventually you'll have to start throwing away weapons, due to having so many.

That's a fair statement. I guess it's more the fact that none of the things I listed are bad enough to make me dislike the game, but for some reason the game still isn't clicking with me. I think maybe the insane reviews and hype on this forum set my expectations way to high personally.

Raitaro

THANK YOU for posting this. I love Matt Lees and had no idea he had a new project.

Ah, shucks...

You're in for a treat then my friend since he's been doing videos on Cool Ghosts for a while now (with his partner in crime Quinn).

His "The best game ever" series, where the BOTW one comes from as well, is especially top notch since it focuses on one or two key qualities that make the covered game so interesting, but I also like the more laidback, newer series "Don't step on my child (hood)" where he and Quinn look at an old game from either of their childhoods to see how it holds up. (Also check out coolghosts.net for additional thoughts in text form to accompany the videos by the way.)

Daft Souls I've never really have had time for but that's their podcast where they go more in-depth on games covered and not covered. What's also noteworthy, finally, is that they are completely add-free on youtube and rely mostly on Patreon for funding I believe.

Ok, my Cool Ghosts commercial is over ;-)

Highlights today:

1. That one shrine that's hidden in the pitch black island. Fighting that hinox without seeing was terrifying.
2. Rushing through shrines to get heart containers for the Master Sword, which I just got 10 minutes ago.

TheMoon

There are "good weapons" that aren't metal or sticks.

You don't happen to be in the vicinity of Zora's Domain where it happens more frequently for plot reasons?

POOPEES lol

applied for a trademark already.

dLMN8R

The biggest thing that helped me get used to the weapon durability in Breath of the Wild was to consider the weapons to be ammo instead of weapons I should grow attached to.

Use whatever you have, whatever you feel like using, and you're almost guaranteed to find more of it later.

Just hang onto a few key things at all times - like something wood that burns (or a torch), at least one one-handed weapon, and at least one two-handed weapon you can do a cyclone attack with - but other than that just use and keep whatever you like.

Don't get too precious about any weapons because inevitably you'll find more of them later, if not much better weapons all over the place.

Yukinari

Is there a particular area packed with Korok seeds?

Dunno if this glitch was posted already but its definitely related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rTSJKAgxA

I tried it for myself on my master mode file and its nuts.

I farmed gems and koroks on the plateu to get weapon slots quick. You can also farm hylian shields this way. Not sure if you can undo this cause everytime you warp after doing the glitch the world will reset again.

The biggest thing that helped me get used to the weapon durability in Breath of the Wild was to consider the weapons to be ammo instead of weapons I should grow attached to.

Use whatever you have, whatever you feel like using, and you're almost guaranteed to find more of it later.

Just hang onto a few key things at all times - like something wood that burns (or a torch), at least one one-handed weapon, and at least one two-handed weapon you can do a cyclone attack with - but other than that just use and keep whatever you like.

Don't get too precious about any weapons because inevitably you'll find more of them later, if not much better weapons all over the place.

That's what I do basically, I'd just add that it's good to have a heavy weapon (sledgehammer/stone crusher) for ores and a korok leaf in case you come across a rafting spot.

Highlights today:

1. That one shrine that's hidden in the pitch black island. Fighting that hinox without seeing was terrifying.

That was such a rush when I came across that unexpectedly. One of the best parts of the game IMO.

dLMN8R

It could be a personal preference thing but other than a couple shrines which required them, I never used a korok leaf for rafting. Even for treasure hidden in lakes, I found it easier to use Cryonis than it was to use a raft + Korok Leaf.

Acknowledging that helped me free up an inventory slot instead of carrying around a korok leaf everywhere.

Similarly with sledgehammers for ores - it was easier to just get the big clubs from enemies and use those instead. Or even keep around a cheap sword that took out ore deposits in a couple hits. Sledgehammers aren't really effective weapons so I didn't like hanging onto them at all times.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It could be a personal preference thing but other than a couple shrines which required them, I never used a korok leaf for rafting. Even for treasure hidden in lakes, I found it easier to use Cryonis than it was to use a raft + Korok Leaf.

Acknowledging that helped me free up an inventory slot instead of carrying around a korok leaf everywhere.

Similarly with sledgehammers for ores - it was easier to just get the big clubs from enemies and use those instead. Or even keep around a cheap sword that took out ore deposits in a couple hits. Sledgehammers aren't really effective weapons so I didn't like hanging onto them at all times.
I agree the korok leaf is a waste of space most of the time. Even if you didn't want to use cryosis it's easy enough to drop a metal weapon and use magnesis to push a raft. Also, unless I'm afraid of losing the ore because it'll go flying I just use bombs.

TheMoon

me:

korok leaf used to produce wind for a sail on a raft: rarely
korok leaf used in combat to push enemies off cliffs: rarely
korok leaf used as a super durable torch-replacement for shrine puzzles: 999999999999999999999999999999999

Mezoly

I use a bomb for ores. Is that wrong? do I get less materials that way.

TheMoon

Explain this one, I don't get it. You can use the leaf as a torch? And what makes it super durable? Doesn't a normal torch burn indefinitely?

Leaf burns.

I don't know how durable a torch is because I never really used one. But everything burns down eventually. Always used a Korok Leaf :D ... it's just a superior multi-tool. It creates wind and can be used as a torch. Wonderful little thing. A torch is just a torch.

Deku Tree

Dunno if this glitch was posted already but its definitely related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rTSJKAgxA

I tried it for myself on my master mode file and its nuts.

I farmed gems and koroks on the plateu to get weapon slots quick. You can also farm hylian shields this way. Not sure if you can undo this cause everytime you warp after doing the glitch the world will reset again.

Can you try something please?

Go back into the trial and leave it normally. Either finish it or die and leave.

Will that give you back your world progress? You may have to beat it because when you die it just reloads your save... well that could make it hard for people to test it rip.

Nintendo will probably patch this by preventing you from teleporting from inside the trial.

Top Bottom