• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

takriel

luison_28: "i don't like Zelda fanboys"

i would love to kno if this is the same person (on zelda amino.....some site for zelda fanboys)

nLS2YAc.jpg
nice detective work!

the hypocrisy would indeed be funny

I played both the Wii U and Switch versions. Actually playing the Switch version now and imo, I'm not impressed. I find it unacceptable how they release it in this state. All I see is framerate dips everywhere I go. This is docked, which is what I thought should be the definitive version. The game's still good, but for Kotaku to give this a 40/40 is wrong. I'd rather stick to the Wii U version.

You're upset about the frame rate/performance of the Switch version, yet you say you'd rather stick with the Wii U version, which runs even worse?

I'm not excusing the frame rate or saying you shouldn't be upset, but everything we've heard about the Wii U version paints it as, comparatively, running like total shit. I'd think if anyone wanted to play it, especially someone concerned about the performance, you'd want to stay with the 'definitive' version on Switch. Right? I mean, you've played both so I'd guess you know better than I do but the Wii U version sounds just abysmal from what I've read.

The positive reviews are just as bad, fucking fan boys

Everything is perfect, best game ever - 10

Everything is shit, worst zelda ever - 1

Won't happen, I've calculated to correct score now and it is:

97,56 (the game has 38 perfect 10s by the way)

So it's barely a 98 on meta, well I've heard they put more weight into scores that come from more known magazines(most likely the US ones, I guess?), so the score might be a bit more in Zeldas Favor but I am expecting the game to perhaps even drop to a low 97 metascore at some point.

Without wanting to be a dick about this how can you possibly have calculated the score if you don't know the weighting?

The positive reviews are just as bad, fucking fan boys

Everything is perfect, best game ever - 10

Everything is shit, worst zelda ever - 1

Without wanting to be a dick about this how can you possibly have calculated the score if you don't know the weighting?

True the 10/10 fanboys are also bad. But the thing is, a 10 is much closer to the truth than a 1 will ever be when it comes to Zelda, like a 1 is closer to the truth for Umbrella Corps. So those low ratings destroy the weight of the user score while 10s will most likely happen anyway and won't increase the average by much. Way too many titles where you can't take the score serious because of that.

sirap

You're upset about the frame rate/performance of the Switch version, yet you say you'd rather stick with the Wii U version, which runs even worse?

I'm not excusing the frame rate or saying you shouldn't be upset, but everything we've heard about the Wii U version paints it as, comparatively, running like total shit. I'd think if anyone wanted to play it, especially someone concerned about the performance, you'd want to stay with the 'definitive' version on Switch.

It does not run "like total shit", but it does suffer from severe frame-rate drops in very specific areas (I've only played the Switch version for 1-2 hours so I can't tell you how those areas perform) Other than that, it runs at the same consistency as the Switch version, only with 2-3 lower fps during the drops on average (I don't have a frame counter but that's what it feels like to my eye)

I think what TLZ meant was that if you already had a Wii U, there's no need to go out and buy a Switch just for Zelda. Performance isn't flawless on either platforms and if you wanted to save a few hundred dollars, there's nothing wrong with the Wii U version. I've played it for close to 50 hours and I'm still having fun.

I also understand his disappointment with BOTW's overall performance considering Nintendo's pedigree. Still, I'm willing to cut them some slack...this is their first open-world game and everything else about it is fantastic.

Mantorok

Man, so hyped for BotW, but also I've been secretly hoping that its design has inspired Nintendo themselves to make a new Metroid with the same ambition.

Just imagine...

Don't......just don't do this to me, I'll only end up dissappointed when it never happens.

-MB-

Not really when it's predominantly Nintendo fanboys who will likely never play Horizon who are fueling this fire. I seldom see Sony fanboys going into Zelda threads to shit up the place with Horizon chest beating, whereas the opposite has been true for weeks now. I think most Horizon fans will be glad to see the back of this pathetic conflict.

Now, how I'm going to divide my time between both games this weekend is going to take some long and hard thought :/

Considering the install bases for both, I would wager it will be exactly the opposite.

unrealist

Some "user reviews", especially those 0s or 1s on Metacritics include spoilers. Be careful, they are just out to spoil everyone's launch day lol

It does not run "like total shit", but it does suffer from severe frame-rate drops in very specific areas (I've only played the Switch version for 1-2 hours so I can't tell you how those areas perform) Other than that, it runs at the same consistency as the Switch version, only with 2-3 lower fps during the drops on average (I don't have a frame counter but that's what it feels like to my eye)

I think what TLZ meant was that if you already had a Wii U, there's no need to go out and buy a Switch just for Zelda. Performance isn't flawless on either platforms and if you wanted to save a few hundred dollars, there's nothing wrong with the Wii U version. I've played it for close to 50 hours and I'm still having fun.

I also understand his disappointment with BOTW's overall performance considering Nintendo's pedigree. Still, I'm willing to cut them some slack...this is their first open-world game and everything else about it is fantastic.
Ahh I see, yes that would make sense then I suppose. Even if you're someone hung up on performance I agree that a ~$360 purchase isn't worth it for some stability. I have a Wii U but I'm gonna get a Switch anyway (should be here tonight by 8pm eee) so I figured, why not get the best version? But yeah if all you want is Zelda and you have a Wii U then I can see that.

As for it running like shit I did say comparatively (ie compared to the already rough Switch version) but again that's just going off what I've heard. Likely hyperbole I guess.

web01

Playing the game on WiiU and enjoying it alot but it certainly has flaws and nothing so amazing to justify the super high review scores from what i have seen so far. Reviewers seem to generally go easy on Nintendo games.

Edit:

The Kotaku review (linked in the OP) covers what Zelda games were and (now) are very well. There are superlatives, though. Honestly, most reviews will have them. Jason is not overzealous with them, if that helps.

Ghah, the wait is unbearable. Share one thing. Any one thing, no matter how seemingly trivial. ;)

Difficult to find reviews without superlatives related to the game design at least. But I think the 10-minute video included in the Trusted Reviews review included what you're looking for pretty much. (It was actually kind of spoilerish regarding story and such.)

Also, the Waypoint review was pretty informative, with lots of different angles.

Kotaku review was also good and informative.

Maybe try Kotaku (Jason Schreier) or Waypoint's review. They focus on stories they made in game rather that what changed from Zelda series.
Thanks, I'll give these a look.

Real Hero

Playing the game on WiiU and enjoying it alot but it certainly has flaws and nothing so amazing to justify the super high review scores from what i have seen so far. Reviewers seem to generally go easy on Nintendo games.

or you just don't see what they do. They didn't 'go easy' on this game they praised it

sazzy

Been playing mostly on the Wii U gamepad. The game looks incredible. Just got done with the first 4 shrines ... been playing for about 4 hours.

edit-

the cut scene after you finish all the plateau shrines was really dorky

Been playing mostly on the Wii U gamepad. The game looks incredible. Just got done with the first 4 shrines ... been playing for about 4 hours.

edit-

the cut scene after you finish all the plateau shrines was really dorky

Aaaw :D I'll probably smile all through the game, haha. I spoiled one cutscene for me...It was very 80's action adventure anime. <3 I hope this game has at least some of the quirky humor or characters Majora's Mask had.

The_Lump

Banned

Opinions really are hard.

Reviews are subjective by nature. One review can never be taken as difinitive.
By gathering the opinions of lots of well regarded reviewers (ie they understand how to critique a game, even if it's not necessarily to their individual tastes) we can get a "general consensus", which is why sites like metacritic exist.

The weight of highly regarded opinion dictates that this is an exceptionally excellent game. You personally may see it differently, but that doesn't change the general consensus and it doesn't call into question the integrity of that consensus.

Lynd7

Not being snarky, but is there any other game that gives the player this much control and freedom over the world and what they want to do in it? Simply rock climbing freeform and finding places to rest is more rewarding than pushing up on a pre-determined path up one.

Wedge7

Siiiick CITY

Man, these reviews are making me so hyped.

Cant wait till I get my switch and Zelda tommorow (If it ships...)

Trying to keep my expectations in check, but I gotta admit, its tough. Hope this game really Wows me!

Siiiick CITY

Man, these reviews are making me so hyped.

Cant wait till I get my switch and Zelda tommorow (If it ships...)

Trying to keep my expectations in check, but I gotta admit, its tough. Hope this game really Wows me!

From what I heard the game doesn't necessary have an immediate wow-factor. It just seems to be really good as a whole. Just expect to unover its merits slowly over time. :) That's what I'm doing anyways.

I always love attention to detail in games and from what I'm reading that's what makes it so special.

Celine

So now the question, for me, is: it's really worth a new console for a great game?
It's not like Switch won't receive any other games after the launch day.
So the question should be:
Do I really want to play what it looks like an exceptional game or not?
Can I wait?
Do I have the money and time to play BotW?

Lynd7

From what I heard the game doesn't necessary have an immediate wow-factor. It just seems to be really good as a whole. Just expect to unover its merits slowly over time. :) That's what I'm doing anyways.

I always love attention to detail in games and from what I'm reading that's what makes it so special.

Agreed, I'm still super early but get that impression. Although I've been wowed from the initial plateau.

Sjefen

Damn really want too play this game but can't justify buying a console for 1 game. Other Nintendo franchises don't interest me

purdobol

The Metacritic user score is a multiplayer game in itself. Capture the flag style, even. :D Which is, of course stupid and – like you said – meaningless.

Nah it's ok when the dust settles. I look more at the user score than critic score. Especially when looking for older lesser known titles. Right now it's meaningless though that's true.

Celine

It still blows my mind that Nintendo managed to create something that is loved by EVERYONE.
Nintendo has produced many games highly praised universally in the past.
To pick an example for each Nintendo home console:
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), Super Metroid (SNES), Ocarina of Time (N64), Metroid Prime (GC) , Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), Mario Kart 8 (WiiU) and now of course Breath of the Wild (Switch).

Edris

Fuck.. I should play this game. Its getting way too good review scores. I had tried old zeldas but didnt like them so much. Maybe this will change my mind

walei

Really love the game so far (4 hours in), but you guys need to stop hate on SS.

Ancient Cistern and the Sandship alone makes the game 9/10. SS has the best traditional Zelda dungeon design of the franchise and I loved every wii motion plus moments of it.

DavidDesu

Fuck.. I should play this game. Its getting way too good review scores. I had tried old zeldas but didnt like them so much. Maybe this will change my mind

In the same boat. Played about 10 minutes of an N64 Zelda and tried Windwaker but never got far but this sounds and looks so much better, I've bought it to collect tomorrow. Can't wait.

Generate

Banned
So far, from playing just the plateau part, it deserves these scores. The framerate does drop pretty noticeably but never affected combat so I give it a pass. All the screen tearing nonsense Im used to seeing in HD games has pretty much lead me to ignore minor graphical snafus. Whats here is just incredibly enjoyable in so many ways.

Really love the game so far (4 hours in), but you guys need to stop hate on SS.

Ancient Cistern and the Sandship alone makes the game 9/10. SS has the best traditional Zelda dungeon design of the franchise and I loved every wii motion plus moments of it.
Glad you're enjoying it. The motion controls have a surprising learning curve and thus aren't as intuitive as one might expect, but if if you are prepared to take your time and master them, the game is lovely. I also agree with the shout-out for the Ancient Cistern. It's one of my favourite dungeons in the series. It's aesthetically very pleasing, has some fun puzzles, and the design and flow of the place really make the self-contained dungeon feel like a journey. Great boss to cap it off too.

spekkeh

Banned
Blows my mind that there are so many people who've never played a Zelda game before. I guess Nintendo hasn't really been relevant for almost a decade but still, Zelda is like, the grandmother of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom