• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

Amazing versus perfect are not the same thing. Experiences are subjective and that's fine if they think it's amazing, that's absolutely fine. If I'm going against the status quo, it doesn't mean I'm in the wrong. Jesus, I don't know who's saltier; the fanboys or Zelda fans.
But who said it's perfect?
The guy you reply to just said , correctly, that 10/10 doesn't automatically mean "perfect".

And they're putting quite the effort into it, I think there are some that even create new accounts just to downvote Zelda and some of the 0-1 Reviews are just hilarious:

funftx66.jpg

That's some of the craziest shit I've ever read.

The person who says they gave it a 0 because they couldn't give it a minus score is insane, lol.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Video games are technology. Gameplay is not the only thing that makes a game great. Technical performance is a piece of the package the same as story or music and should be judged when reviewing a game.

Unfortunately almost every reviewer has forgotten that.

Gameplay is the only thing that makes a game great, but it is not sufficient in itself, a good performance is required as well to make it possible to appreciate the gameplay and for it to work properly.

Dremark

Banned
Having gotten a chance to spend a few days playing through the game I have enjoyed it but I don't really feel it's broken too much new ground but it is a lot of fun. The Switch version is definitely the better of the two and has better performance. The WiiU version has more technical issues but still plays well and is fine if you're not looking to get a Switch or want to wait the console out but play BoTW now.

Final Scores:
Switch - 8.8/10
WiiU - 8.9/10

Gaminar

Banned
Yeah sure. :)

Thank you :)

I'm sorry, but this made me crack up. Can he make you breakfast too?

If you want more than numbers, there are numerous long form reviews from people of varying levels of prior experience. Do a little legwork and you'll see damn near everyone has the same opinions on this game. Will everyone love it? Of course not. But this really reads like you are desperate to find a review that hates the game, for whatever reason.

You are entitled to your opinion. But I don't respect it. Doesn't mean I don't have to respect you as a person.

I am getting my reviews from here because there is a Sony fanboy backlash at the moment with all these reviews and Zelda fans being... well... honestly, Nintendo fans are just crazy.

Plus the gentleman/woman said, alright. So at this point it's none of your business. I'll make them breakfast instead.

Nepenthe

Having gotten a chance to spend a few days playing through the game I have enjoyed it but I don't really feel it's broken too much new ground but it is a lot of fun. The Switch version is definitely the better of the two and has better performance. The WiiU version has more technical issues but still plays well and is fine if you're not looking to get a Switch or want to wait the console out but play BoTW now.

Final Scores:
Switch - 8.8/10
WiiU - 8.9/10

Uhm.

Gaminar

Banned
But who said it's perfect?
The guy you reply to just said , correctly, that 10/10 doesn't automatically mean "perfect".

I think I wasn't clear enough in my message. The first part was just to him/her. The second was pluralistic to everyone else.

MTC100

Banned
For a game like this, it's strange there isn't weapon crafting or repair. What a burden...

I'm open to it, it just seems very strange prior to playing. I hope it doesn't ruin the fun.

I guess it just goes a different route and the game designers want you to use different weapons all the time. I am no fan of not being able to repair my favorite weapons but I see where they're coming from and perhaps its best that way, or you'll just keep those two incredibly strong weapons and repair them all the time in some town, I guess that might get tedious too at some point.

If I look at the Witcher 3: The weapon and armor repair system was pretty horrible. You always had to have some repair tool kits with you so you could repair the stuff while you're on a quest somewhere out in the nowhere, they were expensive and it didn't really feel fun at all to use them it was just bothersome, nothing else.

purdobol

I guess it just goes a different route and the game designers want you to use different weapons all the time.

It definetly adds to the tactical side of battles a lot. I'm constantly looking for creative ways to tackle bigger groups, instead of just getting in there slashing with sword. On the other hand it really hurts when awesome weapon goes bad and you're left with mediocre ones. It does have that survival vibe because of it. Making use of everything available. I like it.

tbhysgb

Amazing versus perfect are not the same thing. Experiences are subjective and that's fine if they think it's amazing, that's absolutely fine. If I'm going against the status quo, it doesn't mean I'm in the wrong. Jesus, I don't know who's saltier; the fanboys or Zelda fans.

If you read further down, I said I haven't played either of the 2 best games reviewed so far to put me in any console war fanboy crap. So what brings you to the conclusion that I'm a salty console warrior? Your assumption is misplaced.

Thanks for your argument. Very positive and personal. Bet you do great in debates.

You see I understand everything you're saying because your opinion is based off of your own personal experience, possible brand name and subjective enjoyment. I personally enjoy the reviews that usually don't state numbers but actual opinions on if its worth buying. Numbers are more marketing hype aren't they?

I'll get back to you on that after I've played it. I didn't make an assertion because that would imply that I'm 100% on my opinion of the game being bad. I made an assumption instead on the "brand" and "nostalgia" itself and everyone seems to be angry about it... I also subjective am of the opinion that nothing is perfect and that is for ALL games.

That's fantastic to hear. Your simple short review is something important to me because it's brand new into the world of Zelda. I have played prior Zelda games and they are quite fantastic. I however also feel you're 12 hours in so the hype hasn't settled down yet. Could you PM me later and tell me exactly how you feel after perhaps end game or 40 hours in? Thank you. I'd appreciate it.
Dude calm the hell down. Use your energy on something productive or something.

MTC100

Banned
It definetly adds to the tactical side of battles a lot. I'm constantly looking for creative ways to tackle bigger groups, instead of just getting in there slashing with sword. On the other hand it really hurts when awesome weapon goes bad and you're left with mediocre ones. It does have that survival vibe because of it. Making use of everything available. I like it.

I don't have the game yet but I guess from watching some footage it's a bit like the last of us in that regard, where you also used the stuff you had found lying around to get rid of your enemies. There is one thing though I found rather interesting: The power of the Shiekah Slate, the way bombs are readily available through it, as well as the other powers, sound incredible. I guess even without weapons you're still a power to behold in a way ^^

That's some of the craziest shit I've ever read.

The person who says they gave it a 0 because they couldn't give it a minus score is insane, lol.

And now imagine that I only scrolled through the first page of the newest ratings sorted by date :D

I guess there are so many gems hidden there, yet to find, it's like Breath of the Wild in that way.

Final Scores:
Switch - 8.8/10
WiiU - 8.9/10

0/10

...my review of your post ;)

I really want this game, but I don't think I'd appreciate it as much going into it while I'm still playing Horizon. I need to put some space between the two.

EmreBFG

So are 4 other absolutely amazing Nintendo games.

Which of the things mentioned seems like the odd one out?

I'm not passing a judgement on BotW, just lamenting that I bought GTA IV Special Edition for $80, thought it was bad, and then it is in the top 10 of that list.

Speely

Banned
I'm not passing a judgement on BotW, just lamenting that I bought GTA IV Special Edition for $80, thought it was bad, and then it is in the top 10 of that list.

Oh shit sorry. Guess I am just used to folks making those associations. My bad bud!!

Astral

Final Scores:
Switch - 8.8/10
WiiU - 8.9/10

Is this a Twilight Princess joke?

Anth0ny

I finished the game.

My review video should be up soon.

I have some things to say about the game that I don't think a lot of these reviews are touching on.

Nilaul

At this point Nintendo would probably be losing profit if they've paid off everyone, lol

63 x 1000 = 63 000

That is little money to pay when you compare it to the cost of development of Breath Of Wild and Switch. Its definitely not a hefty sum for any larger company to pay.

#teambribe

Jashobeam

I really want this game, but I don't think I'd appreciate it as much going into it while I'm still playing Horizon. I need to put some space between the two.

yeah I decided to just stop playing Horizon after 2 hours in, I wasn't really feeling it. All I could think about was playing the new Zelda. I'll jump back in once i'm done BotW for sure though, well maybe after Nier and Persona 5 lol

Anth0ny

My Video Review of Breath of the Wild is LIVE

I'm going to hide now

Regarding SPOILERS:

I do not feature anything that I consider a spoiler, i.e. story elements, boss battles, cutscenes, secret locations/items/cool stuff, etc.

HOWEVER,

I do know that some GAF members are very sensitive about this stuff, so I'm going to point out a couple of things from the video that might qualify as a spoiler:

1. I play music (no video) from a location in the game for 30 seconds to prove one of my points. There is an in video disclaimer in case you want to skip ahead.

2. There is video of one of the locations in the game that you can go to after you leave the plateau.

3. I use about 10 seconds of a cutscene which features a character from the January 2017 trailer when talking about the voice acting.

it's really nothing but if you're real sensitive you might want to wait until finishing the game until watching.

hope you like it!

Gaminar

Banned
Hahahahaha wow, what a comeback! You sure showed me!

Anyway, calling all the reviewers nostalgic sure makes your "argument" "great".. Haha ha.... Hahahahahaha
Also, drop the pretentiousness.

Says the one, name calling and getting personal because the reviewer or the game owes you something? Grow up. That "Haha" seems insidiously pretentious on your end mate. Yea, you definitely "showed me" with your superior linguistical analysis of me. Fanboy or a bully? Take your pick on your reflection with your first comment to me.

Mods please feel free to delete my comments if needed.

Update: Metacritic is a horrible website with user reviews. Don't they have some kind of moderation for this kind of stupidity? My friend got the Switch so I shall come back with my own review at some point.

Dude calm the hell down. Use your energy on something productive or something.

I don't understand where I may have offended you? I'm just voicing my opinion. You can either give me a proper rebuttal or turn the other cheek. Anyway, have a good day!

63 x 1000 = 63 000

That is little money to pay when you compare it to the cost of development of Breath Of Wild and Switch. Its definitely not a hefty sum for any larger company to pay.

#teambribe

Lol I know you are joking but asking a site to sacrifice their integrity for money will cost so, so much more than that!

Lol, did you see the severe salty ones that are 0 because... no logic?

"I can't breath properly while playing this game"... 0

I saw them, but don't know why they would need to be moderated. Does anybody use MC user scores to inform their purchasing decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom