• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Meikiyou

EatChildren said:
And Snowpeak is complete. I quite like that stretch of the game, traversing the snow, snowboading down the mountain on icy leaves, and then the dungeon itself which doesn't quite seem like a dungeon at first. It's really well designed, has quite a few gimmicks and puzzles, and looks great to boot. Mixing in the two NPCs made it feel fresh. I think it definitely ranks as one of the best dungeons in the series, but for me it is let down a bit by the boss fight, which is fine in context of the dungeon, but way too easy. It's probably the easiest boss fight in the entire game.

Still, lots of fun, and the ball-and-chain is a freakin' sweet item of doom. Now for screens!

z4cu69.jpg

[]
Don't understand why is wrote npge on the mirror seal =L

Professor Beef said:
...Someone went and translated the Hylian alphabet?
There's comprehensive guides to pretty much every major fictional alphabet. PEOPLE ARE WEIRD.

I bet the Hylian artists just did it because it looked cool and told everyone it meant something. Get a real job, you bums!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Meikiyou said:
for TP hylian
MM-OoT hylian
WW timeline hylian

as it says, TP is based in english while the others are based in japanese Kana
I love Omniglot! :D

I find it interesting that TP is based on the Latin alphabet rather than Japanese logographs. I wonder why they made the change? Language evolution and writing system modification does not happen quickly, so I have to wonder why the change was made. An outside influence from a place other than Hyrule that made them use the Latin Alphabet instead of logographs? I'm probably thinking about this too hard and am trying to apply too much real-life linguistic logic to it.
KuGsj.gif

It'll be interesting to see whether SS has its own version of Hylian (I can see this being a likely event since it's supposed to be the first game chronologically) or if it will use the same writing system as OoT/MM.

Meikiyou

Dark Schala said:
I love Omniglot! :D

I find it interesting that TP is based on the Latin alphabet rather than Japanese logographs. I wonder why they made the change? Language evolution and writing system modification does not happen quickly, so I have to wonder why the change was made. An outside influence from a place other than Hyrule that made them use the Latin Alphabet instead of logographs? I'm probably thinking about this too hard and am trying to apply too much real-life linguistic logic to it.
KuGsj.gif

It'll be interesting to see whether SS has its own version of Hylian (I can see this being a likely event since it's supposed to be the first game chronologically) or if it will use the same writing system as OoT/MM.
To me the changes was made just for the public, WW had a hylian to kana table in it's package and was cut off from the US version as it would made no sense, with The Latin alphabet type, even japanese people would get it's meaning i think.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Meikiyou said:
To me the changes was made just for the public, WW had a hylian to kana table in it's package and was cut off from the US version as it would made no sense, with The Latin alphabet type, even japanese people would get it's meaning i think.
I would completely understand if it was a cosmetic choice for players to understand it better, but I think it would be cool if Nintendo added linguistic evolution/writing system evolution to the series as well.

Have we seen any Hylian yet in SS footage/screens?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Being the Wii version, wouldn't that scene, and thus the Hylian glyphs, be reversed from their originals?

I dispute the accuracy of Omniglot's OoT/MM table. There isn't a lot of text in the games and what is there is as likely as not filled with gibberish. Going by their table, the signs all over OoT Hyrule read "Nintendou" over and over again, for instance. I do appreciate that a lot of work went into it, but I wouldn't believe the "translations" you'd get out of it. The fact that OoT 3D uses a different system (i.e. the symbols aren't fully interchangeable and text in various places has changed).

My take: OoT's text is likely only partly translatable but a lot of it will be gibberish and we have no way of knowing which is which. OoT 3D's text is likely completely translatable, but a lot of work will need to be done to do so (or Nintendo will need to publish a syllabary).

RagnarokX

Dark Schala said:
I would completely understand if it was a cosmetic choice for players to understand it better, but I think it would be cool if Nintendo added linguistic evolution/writing system evolution to the series as well.

Have we seen any Hylian yet in SS footage/screens?
Hyrule doesn't exist yet. Sky language!

Ok everyone. I absolutely have no idea where this Zelda song came from. I found it in an audio pack for Brawl Plus two years ago, but it had no identifying info. I've never heard this version outside of this instance, and I haven't tracked down its origin. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYnEV5xtpyU (still processing, give it a few minutes)

Kard8p3

TSA said:
Ok everyone. I absolutely have no idea where this Zelda song came from. I found it in an audio pack for Brawl Plus two years ago, but it had no identifying info. I've never heard this version outside of this instance, and I haven't tracked down its origin. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYnEV5xtpyU (still processing, give it a few minutes)

It sure is taking it awhile to process.

mdtauk

Once Skyward Sword is released, I will attempt to make a font out of the language like I did with the Twilight Princess font, and the Ancient Hylian Wind Waker font.

I will need to wait for the ISO to become available so I can access the textures and look at them up close.

tphylian_gcregular.jpg

AncientHylian.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished up the Temple of Time. One of my least favourite dungeons in Twilight Princess for sure. I think that derives from high expectations given the mystery and wonder of the place, and how plain the puzzles are. Its fairly linear and basic. The Dominion Rod is a really neat item, but even that is sadly underused for puzzle complexity. I guess I just don't like how its main use for the temple is dragging that big statue with you right to the first chamber.

On the plus side, the Darknut battle is ridiculously cool, and the boss is one of the nicest looking bosses in the game. Very detailed, and a cool idea, if again (like everything in Twilight Princess) far too easy.

z1af6n.jpg

z2ieuw.jpg

z3gemt.jpg

z4bel1.jpg

z59fn6.jpg

z65e6x.jpg

z7ydlq.jpg

z89dqe.jpg

z90d7w.jpg

z10sdli.jpg

z117e6f.jpg

z12rdkt.jpg

z13vdxs.jpg

z14ye9m.jpg

z15ae74.jpg

z16rdk1.jpg

I like the direction of this community thread in past few pages, it's like a mini-appreciation thread for TP.

TP had the best cutscenes in the series.

Roto13

The Temple of Time was weird because it had nothing to do with time or any other theme. :p It's just a big gray temple.

Dammit, EatChildren. You got me to playing TP again. >:V

Just finished the last Tears of Light section. I NEVER HAVE TO DO THAT AGAIN YAAAAAY.

Top Bottom