• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

Hypatia

Hah, I have no idea which parts of Zelda I love the most.

I mean MM has very few dungeons and they're not that well designed but it's my fave 3D Zelda. Plus I love LTTP but I think it's largely for the dungeons. Not that I think the overworld is bad but the story and sidequests do nothing for me.

And I loved LA's overworld AND dungeons yet I still prefer MM to it.

Then you have WW which has pretty rubbish dungeons and not that great an overworld ... but I still love it loads. I guess I love it's sense of exploration and how alive the world feels (even if it has almost no side quests or interesting characters >_> ).

So, yeah, I guess it just depends on the game?

sphinx

the piano man
Hah, I have no idea which parts of Zelda I love the most.

So, yeah, I guess it just depends on the game?

I think all Zelda games are really outstanding but I see myself gravitating towards a certain group of games, less to another group of games and downright avoiding another group, this is how it goes for me

Group 1, play regularly

.- Link's Awakening
.- Minish Cap
.- Wind Waker
.- Twilight Princess
.- Spirit Tracks

Group 2, play once in a while, every couple of years

.- Majora's Mask
.- Ocarina of Time
.- Zelda 1
.- Zelda 2

Group 3, not playing anymore, not sure why as I liked them the first time

.- Link to the Past
.- Phatnom Hourglass

SS, I am not sure where it will fit, but at least in group 2 as I will play it for sure a 2nd time.

tumblr_ml3zfsJvde1qcbajko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ml3zfsJvde1qcbajko2_1280.jpg
tumblr_ml3zfsJvde1qcbajko3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ml3zfsJvde1qcbajko4_1280.jpg
tumblr_ml3zfsJvde1qcbajko5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ml3zfsJvde1qcbajko6_r1_1280.jpg

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/47724463171/inspired-by-anita-sarkeesians-video-game-tropes

ugly

I wonder if the 3ds original Zelda title will star the Link from A Link to the Past? Nintendo are releasing the Oracle games on the virtual console and Link's Awakening is already out for it. Plus didn't Miyamoto say he'd be keen on doing something related to Alttp? Hmm...

Doubt it

CorvoSol

I wonder if the 3ds original Zelda title will star the Link from A Link to the Past? Nintendo are releasing the Oracle games on the virtual console and Link's Awakening is already out for it. Plus didn't Miyamoto say he'd be keen on doing something related to Alttp? Hmm...

Doubt it

ALttP Link has already gone on like, 4 adventures. He's kind of the LOAT now. And this is excluding the question of whether or not he is the same Link who showed up everywhere in the SNES era, like SMRPG and DKC3.

ugly

ALttP Link has already gone on like, 4 adventures. He's kind of the LOAT now. And this is excluding the question of whether or not he is the same Link who showed up everywhere in the SNES era, like SMRPG and DKC3.

Ah yes, LOAT.

Link on a table?
Legend of aging toast?
Urban dictionary seems to think it means a fantastic squash player.

I think theres always room for more. They never really put story before gameplay, and so if it suited them to revisit that guy I'm sure they would. It's not like he's been used recently either!

RedShift

Doubt it

Bam

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Watching the downloadable video on the 3DS makes it look much better, in my opinion. Dungeons seem a bit better than the small bit of overworld they showed, but I still don't think it's bad. Legend of Zelda artwork style seems to be what they're trying for and I'd say they succeeded.

CorvoSol

So I bought and am now replaying Skyward Sword. I don't get the hate. I got the complaints when the game came out and I had just played it the first time, and I still see the rational complaints for what they are, but man do I not get the panic induced hate some people feel for this game.

OceanBlue

So I bought and am now replaying Skyward Sword. I don't get the hate. I got the complaints when the game came out and I had just played it the first time, and I still see the rational complaints for what they are, but man do I not get the panic induced hate some people feel for this game.

I don't get it either. I never really had a problem with the controls and I generally didn't call Fi too much, so I was never really bothered by the most common complaints people have with the game.

Then again, I actually liked the motion controls, so maybe things like that are where the opinions differ.

CorvoSol

I don't get it either. I never really had a problem with the controls and I generally didn't call Fi too much, so I was never really bothered by the most common complaints people have with the game.

Then again, I actually liked the motion controls, so maybe things like that are where the opinions differ.

I have issues with the controls, but nothing super severe, and nowhere near to the level I did with the controls for Spirit Tracks.

Volotaire

So I thought it might be fun to bring up, what story/setting would you like Zelda WiiU to be set in. We got the timeline so where would you like it to be placed.

For me there are a few places that might be interesting to start with:

1) End of Failure Timeline ( It's a pretty inersting timeline as Hyrule is pretty much destroyed and is very different, might be nice to revisit it, but unlikely now that ALLTP2 exists) - it feels to me that this timeline now exists for one style of game unfortunatley (the 2D games)

2) End of Adult Timeline (we have a new Hyrule, new land) Everything can be set to square one, and if Nintnedo wanted a new setting or set Zelda in a more technologically capable setting than this may be perfect fro them. Doubt it however.

3) The Era of Chaos (Hyrule Kingdom establishment). The formation of a Royal Family might be interesting. (The Hero of Men? look suspiciously like the Link)

4) Between Twilight Princess and Four Swords Adventures, there is little connection and there is plenty to play round with there

5) Not an original idea, but one that keeps cropping up. The Hero of Time Trilogy. Majoras Mask 3DS keeps cropping up for a possible remake. So if Nintendo does go with this idea, why not release it with a story that ends the Hero of Time's story. I think a lot of people are expecting the next Zelda game to be darker again as it is going to be a Zelda WiiU showpiece, so it would be perfect to come back here.

My theory, it won't be in the Link failed timeline as LTTP2 exists, and will most likely be a child timeline game as there is not much there at the moment. Also, they have't produced a game in there for quite a bit and they aren't constricted to story canon much.

EDIT: Even though it's nice to have an open ending for Majoras Mask into the Hero's Shade, it's such a great setting for a character of Link. His is filled with regret, the legends of him saving Hyrule will never be known, he has lost his best friend Navi and is eternally searching. I think it could be a brilliant set up for a regret filled adult link. Moreover, if they are going for a non linear/open Zelda, then a Hero of Time that is eternally searching the wilderness/Lost Woods is brilliant concept that could be fleshed out. All in all, I think it is a perfect idea for the setting. It would be more than just more Ocarina/OoT link, they could go places with this Link in my opinion.

Of course a new setting/ would be nice as well, but something sticks with me with the Hero of Time.

Volotaire

I'm trying to think of a place where Zelda hasn't been set before. We've had:

Fields (expansive)
Skies
Oceans
Deserts

What else could they do? A predominant forest setting? That would be good for a open world type zelda. Bu then so could the stuff above.

They'll probably won't go back to that Hyrule, probably just leave it to be lost forever.

Link Man

Banned
I'm trying to think of a place where Zelda hasn't been set before. We've had:

Fields (expansive)
Skies
Oceans
Deserts

What else could they do? A predominant forest setting? That would be good for a open world type zelda. Bu then so could the stuff above.

They'll probably won't go back to that Hyrule, probably just leave it to be lost forever.

How about Mountains and Caves?

Link Man

Banned
Could be cool, makes me think of Zelda 1 and 2. Undergound?

Sure thing! Massive caves, stalactites and stalagmites, absolute darkness necessitating a lantern, gemstones and geodes, underground rivers, phosphorescent fungi, lava, bandit hideouts...

So many ideas available.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm feeling like experiencing Majora's Mask again, but I don't want to play it myself, so I'm looking for a good let's play with all masks. Hoping one exists that isn't a speed run (or I know everything anyway so I'm cutting stuff-run), that is played by a nice person who commentates at times.

Any pointers?

Andrew J.

Zelda hardcover guide box set.

• The guides will be contained in a unique, high quality box that is The Legend of Zelda™ themed and held closed by an embedded magnetic clasp.

• An individually numbered certificate of authenticity will be included for collectors, with a signature and message from Mr. Eiji Aonuma, Producer/Director for The Legend of Zelda™ series.

• A high quality, 2-sided laser etched metallic bookmark will be included with the box set to help players keep their spot in over 2,000 pages of The Legend of Zelda™ strategies. The bookmark is 7.5 x 2.5 inches and includes a protective case.

• The set includes 6 hardcover collector’s editions for The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time 3D, The Legend of Zelda™: Spirit Tracks, The Legend of Zelda™: Phantom Hourglass, The Legend of Zelda™: The Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda™: Twilight Princess, and The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword. Many of these hard cover guides are out of print and not available anywhere else.

• All 6 of the guides will be on high quality paper with gilded edges, giving the guides a gold shine along the pages.

• For the first time ever, The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time 3D guide is available in hard cover and exclusive to this box set.

• The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword guide has been revised and expanded by over 100 pages.

• This limited edition set will only be printed once, when it is sold out they will be gone forever!

CorvoSol

Thread is hella dead, but I thought maybe I'd try and revive it by bringing up a topic for debate: In the Fallen Timeline, where the Hero of Time loses to Ganon, does he die or is he merely beaten? I know it doesn't make much difference and that the quickest answer is that Ganon kills him because why wouldn't Ganon do that if he could, and how would Link rest, knowing Ganon had won? However, Hyrule Historia seems pretty vague about it, using the word "defeat' instead of "killed." Unless, of course, it is more specific in Japanese? Another reason I think that Link may have survived is because, among other things, the Link in A Link to the Past is told he has the blood of the Hero in his veins.

Your trial in the desert has made you stronger. The blood of the Hero must be in your veins..

Every time blood is brought up in A Link to the Past, it is in terms of physical descent, as in Link is the last of the blood-line of the Knights, in him flows the blood of the Knights, and so we are to assume that Link is literally the descendant of the Knights of Hyrule, the bloodline from which a Hero emerges. And here we see that in him also flows the blood of the Hero, a Hero who couldn't pass on that blood if he were to die without leaving behind progeny. What's more is that it is in the Child's Timeline, where Link leaves Hyrule, that his spirit is restless, and not the Fallen Timeline, where he loses to Ganon.

The game also says the following:

If the evil one destroys the Hero, nothing can save the world from his wicked reign.

Destroys, not defeats. So if Ganon had slain Link, nothing could have saved the world, but Link lived, and Ganon's defeat happened, however temporarily.

Plus it'd just be really depressing if the Hero flat-out died. So I propose that Link only lost, but did not die in that battle. What say you, Zelda GAF?

CassSept

I guess it's a better thread than any for this post. I decided to finally fill my embarassing gaps in Zelda franchise and play through at least some GameBoy Zeldas before the end of the years (I'd really like to pick up ALBW this Friday but hell, I fear it would distract me from SM3DW too much and I prioritize this game and will only pick up ALBW shortly before Christmas).

Jesus, you guys weren't kidding about Link's Awakening. Throughout the years I somehow never got around to playing this one. I kinda feared it to be honest. It just has so much hype around it, I thought it would never be able to deliver for me. But oh it does. What an excellent game.

It certainly is bizarre, unlike any other Zelda game (perhaps the weirdest one), but it's so fine, especially considering tech-wise it should be closer to NES Zelda than to ALttP.

There are some drawbacks of course, more hardware limitations than anything else truthfully. Item shuffling gets annoying at times, but that's expected of a console with barely two face buttons. Also the last two dungeons I played so far (L5 and L6) started getting frustrating, especially the latter. Though I guess Level 6 is something special since I started googling "Link's Awakening level" the second suggestion was Level 6 so heh, I guess it is a notable one.

Well, this one, Oracles, and I will have played all Zelda games except for FSA (well, technically I never gotten around to finishing Zelda II, but this game is >HARD<). At last, pretty weird these were the last 3 Zelda games I'll finish, especially as GameBoy was my first console ever.

Chinbo37

Not sure if this is the right thread but I am just about to finish Skyward Sword and looking to play TP.

I played about 20% of the game on my Gamecube about 5 years ago but never finished.

I dont have my GC anymore and I want to experience the game in the best possible way. My options to play it are:

GC version in my Wii with a wavebird controller
Wii version
Dolphin emulated version (the GC version).

Anyone have a recommendation? I am not a fan of the motion control in general ....

If your computer can handle it and you have the right hookups, play the Gamecube version through Dolphin with a Gamecube controller. If you don't mind playing with another USB-compatible controller, use that. Otherwise, the Wavebird option will be great.

The games are the same (albeit mirrored), and the controls for the Wii version are superfluous. If you already find motion controls a turn-off, there's no reason to play the Wii version.

Chinbo37

Thanks I guess my comp can handle it, I have a 3770 k (not overclocked
And a gtx 680, I heard that no matter what you do there is slowdown on the over world but I guess it looks great on dolphin. I would use a 360 controller which should be fine I guess...

Cross post from Dec 2013 pick up topic:

My collection is complete !!!! :D:D:D

Been collecting since 1998 do not have all the guides but at least the CE hardcovers from 2006 to 2013 and now the CE BOX that I will leave unopened for about 20 years.Also now have 3 version of OoT :p.

zelda17jfn4.png

zelda274fcw.png

zelda3jwcaj.png

zelda47qi6q.png

zelda5nviis.png

zelda6vffdy.png

zelda7hnf9t.png

zelda8mjcq1.png

zelda9ejdbw.png

zelda10n7dus.png

zelda1113dwm.png

zelda12ouidh.png

zelda13lfequ.png

CorvoSol

So...how about that new Zelda game?

I think it looks great and can't wait to play it. I really don't get the complaints in that thread. If it looks unimpressive graphically it is because it is still in development. If you don't like Musou, oh well. For myself, though, I'm really excited to play it. Looks like a lot of fun.

-Horizon-

I think it looks great and can't wait to play it. I really don't get the complaints in that thread. If it looks unimpressive graphically it is because it is still in development. If you don't like Musou, oh well. For myself, though, I'm really excited to play it. Looks like a lot of fun.

I also think it looks like a good Zelda action game with those high paced over the top flashy attacks and waves of enemies.
Also dat scarf!

oatmeal

Banned
An interesting zelda concept would be one where link is asked to tie up the three timelines back into one. So he's going between the three and making changes to eventually get everything back into one linear timeline.

CorvoSol

So I've seen it come up a few times now, and I thought I should address why "Hyrule Warriors" still could conceivably be the Imprisoning War by explaining away some misconceptions I have seen in various other Zelda threads of late.

Misconception #1, Link dies: Hyrule Historia never actually says the Hero of Time dies. It says he is defeated or that he loses to Ganon, but it very carefully avoids the word "death". That alone might not be enough to matter, but it also says that the Knights of Hyrule are descendants of the Hero of Time. I suppose this could be a matter of translation, but two different things supporting a point don't seem like baseless assumption to me.

Misconception #2, the Imprisoning War happens immediately after Link's loss to Ganon: which really, Hyrule Historia clears up pretty well. In the Hero's "Fall" Timeline, Link loses to Ganon, and Zelda and the Sages seal Ganon and the Triforce away. Time passes and then Ganon escapes and the Imprisoning War is fought. They're two separate events, separated by some time. Technically this same event happens across all three Timelines. At the end of Ocarina we see Ganon swear he will escape. In the prologue to Wind Waker he does, no Hero is present to stop him, and Hyrule is flooded. In Twilight Princess, rather than be sealed in the Sacred Realm, the sages who lived prior to Ocarina's events chose to seal Ganon into the Twilight Realm. His escape from thence triggers the events of the game. In ALttP's prologue he escapes and is defeated by the Knights of Hyrule and sealed by the Seven Sages. Another point proving this is that, if the Knights are descended from the Hero, time must have passed for Link to sire such an army.

The remaining question then is "Why were there people to stop Ganon in the Fall and Child Timelines but not the Adult?" The answer, I think, is that because Link was removed from the Adult Timeline, he had no posterity in it (hence the Link in Wind Waker is not his blood relative, but the heir to the Hero's Spirit) whereas in the Child and Fallen Timelines Link did have descendants who inherited his blood and spirit and Hyrule was thus ready to combat Ganon when he returned.

Top Bottom