• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (20th Anniversary)

S1kkZ

that ending made me cry as a kid. man, that was just heartbreaking...

brilliant game and the best zelda in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
That means I got this game on my birthday when I was 10 years old. I remember playing it in the car sitting in my great grand father's driveway the day I got it. I remember thinking his house was so boring, it's a damn shame now as he's been gone for quite some time and I barely remember him. :\ Amazing game though, one of the absolute best of all time when it comes to hand held games.

jackal27

Banned
I really would rather a modernized sequel to this game rather than A Link to the Past. Or at least another island setting. I just love the setting a lot.

Lunar15

Tezuka was the best director the series ever had. He took the framework of the first two games, and fleshed it out into the full concept it is today in ALTTP. Then he went and directed LA, which added this whole other layer of charm on top of the already solid forumla he helped create in ALTTP.

Seriously, this man needs to do more with the series again.

mantidor

No idea about the aniversary, I got this on the 3DS VC but never passed the first dungeon, I'll play it now in honor of the aniversary, better stay away of the thread then although I stupidly spoiled the big finale to myself years ago.

Didn't really do much for me when I've played it for the first time last year. Doing Oracle of Seasons right now and enjoying it MUCH more.
I didn't like the map design in which it really felt cumbersome to get around and why the fuck do you need to tell me that some goddamn rocks are too heavy (through the same 5 second message each time) for me even if I only barely run by one?
Cool story though, I guess.

Sadist

This was my first Zelda (well, aside from little bits of Link to the Past and stuff, but I never played them "seriously") and I loved it. Love the overworld. It's so small but packed so full that it feels a lot bigger than it is.

Now I love the whole series, but Link's Awakening is still my favourite. I replayed it last week, actually, before the Oracles games were released on the 3DS Virtual Console. Still so great.
Pretty much what Roto said.

Another thing I like about Link's Awakening are the little jokes regarding the Mario universe. Winning a Yoshi doll in the crane game. The Bow-Wow you need to retrieve and use to get into Bottle Grotto. Princess Peach picture.

Plus Bird's Tower had these weird Kirby like enemies.

20 years? Wow.

I remember getting the original black and white version for my original GB. Fantastic Zelda game, really felt like they maxed out the GB at the time.

When I got my GBC I upgraded to the DX version, and i've since got it on virtual console for my 3DS too.

Fantastic game, great visuals and music. Can't believe its 20 years old!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
One of the best portable games of all times

and it's still got the most epic intro of any Zelda

My first Zelda. Played it as a kid. It took me a long time to beat it, but I managed it without help. I remember being proud about that, and very moved about the ending. Probably the first game I really got into (previously I mostly played simple platformers, which was fun, but not as fulfilling).
Afterwards I replayed it very often (still as a kid) and tried sort-of speedrunning and sequence breaking, of course without knowing these terms.

Although I have really fond memories of this game and I'd still rate it very high, today it isn't my favorite Zelda game.

jackal27

Banned
Another thing I like about Link's Awakening are the little jokes regarding the Mario universe. Winning a Yoshi doll in the crane game. The Bow-Wow you need to retrieve and use to get into Bottle Grotto. Princess Peach picture.

Plus Bird's Tower had these weird Kirby like enemies.

One of my favorite things about it too. Every Game Boy version of Nintendo franchises felt so weird and I miss that. Super Mario Land 1 and 2, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Metroid 2, Balloon Kid, Donkey Kong 94, even Kirby's Dream Land 2 were all anomalies in their respective series and super fun to boot.

It really felt like Nintendo was taking the opportunity alauded by smaller teams and smaller budgets to create really odd, creative, and unique games. I would love to see more of that.

Loved this game so much when I was young. It was the first zelda game I owned, after watching my bro and sis playing OoT. Such fond memories. Replayed it recently and it really is one of the best. It has its annoying parts, but so good overall.

Probably my favourite 2D Zelda game, there's something about the overworld map that piques my curiosity to explore more than any other Zelda, aside from the river rafting area of the map the overworld is dense and nearly each part of the grid is filled with some kind of intrigue, basically I feel that there's very little wasted space on Koholint Island.

It plays by its own bizarre set of rules as well, someone spilt Mario in my Zelda, you've got a talking animal village, 2D segments to bridge parts of the dungeons together and the fantastical elements of the setting do well to support
the dream like nature of the island seeing as it's not real so to speak
Even the music impresses for a GB title, the LA version of the Zelda overworld theme is the one that resonates with me the most.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My older brother got it for me. I asked him for some other shitty game (I don't even remember which) and he came home with this instead. Shit rocked my world. Still my favorite Zelda game.

Finished the GBC version on the 3DS virtual console last week, really didn't like it. The game's puzzles are solved in your head in an instant, but it takes a while (and mostly needless busywork) to actually solve them in the game. Good puzzles in games should be the exact opposite.

I'm not saying it's 'overrated' or that people liking it are blinded by nostalgia or something else stupid, but I just couldn't appreciate it.

Ein Bear

My first Zelda game, and the first game I ever played through to completition and made it to the credits.

Now I feel old :(

Heretic

Easily one of the best in the entire series. I remember a friend and I going to the entire game with only 3 hearts during elementary school. So many good memories.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Catch-22 plot: the idea of
waking the wind fish up, but everyone on the island disappears. Not only that, but the inhabitants were afraid of disappearing.
Yeahhhh, that was intense! I felt morally conflicted and guilty about it as a kid.

Didn't really do much for me when I've played it for the first time last year. Doing Oracle of Seasons right now and enjoying it MUCH more.
Heh, I'm playing Seasons for the first time, and I just keep on thinking to myself "Wish this was as good as Link's Awakening." It's not bad, though.

One of my favorite games,

But I absolutely despise the GBC version.
Yeah, at this point, I kind of refuse to play the DX version. It's one of the few games I'm a purist about.

Lunar15

What I loved about this game and ALTTP is that the the story is thin and mystical. It's present, but slightly off in the corners. Concepts are presented, but consequences are merely suggested. There is a minimalism that I appreciate. It's enough to make you curious, but not enough to bore you.

Timeless

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/612/

A small patch that restores some of the localization changes that Nintendo modified to fit their standards, as well as fixing a typo and adding a special something to the game. The following were modified:

The Mermaid’s Necklace was changed back into her swimsuit top; text was changed to reflect this.
The Hippo in Animal Village was restored to her original sprites.
The ‘Tale Keyhole’ typo was fixed back into ‘Tail Keyhole’.
A cave that was cut from the original game was put back in. Check around Kanalet Moat to find it!

Two patches were included - one for Link’s Awakening DX v.1.1 and one for Link’s Awakening v.1.0.

RedSwirl

I'm going to continue complaining about how in my experience this is the hardest Zelda game outside of the NES ones.

Socreges

Banned
Wow. I'm playing through it for the first time right now and I'm at the boss for Level-7. Meaning I'm very close to the end. Looks like I'll beat it today on the 20th anniversary.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rank it among the best in the series.

I haven't played Ages/Seasons, though, but plan to soon. How do you guys feel it compares to LA? I'm assuming they're built off essentially the same engine.

[edit] Q - was the 'Color Dungeon' or whatever it's called only added in the DX version to show off the GBC capabilities? What else was new?

Ferr986

My first game for the Game Boy Color (never had OG Game Boy).

What an incredible game.

The pace was fantastic, loved the dungeons and the overworld and the story, although simple in narrative, knew how to play with your feelings and made you feel attached to the world of the game.
it really made you feel conflicted about your actions in a subtle but well done way.

Wow. I'm playing through it for the first time right now and I'm at the boss for Level-7. Meaning I'm very close to the end. Looks like I'll beat it today on the 20th anniversary.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rank it among the best in the series.

I haven't played Ages/Seasons, though, but plan to soon. How do you guys feel it compares to LA? I'm assuming they're built off essentially the same engine.

[edit] Q - was the 'Color Dungeon' or whatever it's called only added in the DX version to show off the GBC capabilities? What else was new?

Depending on how you defeat the color dungeon, you could get
a tunic, either red or blue, which is basically a permanent piece of power or guardian acorn

Also, the photographs were added to the DX game.

As for what I think about the Oracle games, the world is bigger and levels are probably better, but the story isn't as good. In dungeons and caves, the rooms are bigger, making levels and boss fights feel nowhere near as claustrophobic. I just finished Seasons, and it's very action oriented, plenty of jumping, dodging, and general platforming. It's an awesome game. Ages, which is not as action oriented, is also an amazing game.

One of my favorite games,

But I absolutely despise the GBC version.

I have to ask why you don't like the GBC version? This has been my favorite game for years, and I've played both versions many times (I bet I have at least 20 playthroughs altogether). The GBC version changed so little I guess I don't see how you could be put off by it.

hachi

Banned
Not to be a purist... but too many damn color screenshots in this thread and, astonishingly, zero from the original game thus far. The DX version is cool and all... but it's essentially a modestly upgraded port, not the classic that was released on this day.

And I actually prefer the black and white (or yellowish?) art of the original.

ibpsYyMhSrYO1K.png

ibhqHB5kiaybrJ.jpg

I remember buying this game on ebay probably about 10 years ago. I bought the original however and had a great time playing it. I was so confused by all the Mario stuff included. Heck the one of the first things I bought when I got a 3DS was the DX version of this game. Playing it color was like revisiting a world all of again. This game just laid the foundations for what a handheld Zelda should be.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Not to be a purist... but too many damn color screenshots in this thread and, astonishingly, zero from the original game thus far. The DX version is cool and all... but it's essentially a modestly upgraded port, not the classic that was released on this day.

http://i4.minus.com/ibpsYyMhSrYO1K.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i6.minus.com/ibhqHB5kiaybrJ.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I would have also preferred the original b&w art for the GIF in the OP. But I'm not gonna complain. ^_^

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm slowly making my way through it for the first time.

...Might be the best Zelda. The level of invention on display here is insane. The feeling of empowerment is also handled here better than a lot of the games in the series; each new addition to Link's arsenal is seriously appreciated and almost immediately put to use in a million great ways.

It's got great character, too. The photography scenes are all so worth tracking down.

I love this one, I remember playing it due to a friend breaking her arm and she let me borrow it.

One of my favorites, probably my second favorite next to LTTP

RedSwirl

Anyway, I'm also pretty surprised at how many elements from Ocarina of Time actually came from this game. People call it the sequel to A Link to the Past, but it's also kind of the bridge between that game and Ocarina.

Just a few:
-The fishing mini game
-The text presentation after each dungeon
-The Owl
-The ability to assign items but buttons
-At least one mini boss is basically the same in both games

First ever Zelda game I ever played. I've come to really appreciate its charm and its unique nature quite a bit. I've yet to play a Zelda game that gives me the warm feelings that Link's Awakening does and I think it's just a really quirky and unique title. Some of the characters in here have influenced me in writing (Like the poor Richard) and Marin is such a sweet character...

Most memorable for me is either leading Marin across the Island to the village or walking Bow Bow and unleashing him on pretty much EVERYTHING. That guy was just so fun to have around. I've yet to complete it though...I know what the ending is and I REFUSE, absolutely REFUSE to see it. Nope, not happening at all.

ibpsYyMhSrYO1K.png

ibhqHB5kiaybrJ.jpg

Brofist! I prefer the original version too.

Top Bottom