• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

TheKyle07

After seeing mentions in the Skyward Sword E3 thread of a connection between Pols Voice and the Running Man, I noticed that they changed his dialogue in this game from "I bet with those long ears you can hear the voices..." to "I bet with those long ears you can hear the voices of spirits."

I never would have noticed otherwise. Now I wonder what other subtle changes they've made to the text?

Nemesis_

NEO0MJ said:
Oh. Though I read they recycled all the old animations? Thanks. Haven't really been following the news on this game, was an impulse buy.

They defintiely have added new ones in. I even noticed Mido actually WALKS instead of sliding around the area he guards.

The most obvious ones are also the Honey and Darling dancers in the Market.

Love the way the ReDeads have been redone too.

Replaying this game has reminded me of some story elements that always niggled me as a child.

If you've made it to Adult Link...
Who wrote Ruto's letter? Always got the impression it was Ganondorf after his interference with the Kokiri and the Gorons.

If you've completed the game...
Are the sages dead people or just sleeping people? Maybe it was seeing Hyrule transformed into a gloomy future for the first time as a kid, but I always got the impression that the sages were people that had died at the hands of the temple monsters either sometime during the 7 years you were asleep or right around the time you awake. Impa went off to fight the monster again and never returned... you see Darunia go to fight the monster but when you get there he's gone but the monster isn't... Ruto seems to haunt the Water Temple as she leads you places then disappears... and Nabooru appears to be killed right before your eyes! (- depending on your interpretation.)

AniHawk

well, bringing in the sequel is kinda cheating but
if the sages were dead, they wouldn't have been killed off between oot and tww.

KevinCow

Banned
demonturkey said:
Replaying this game has reminded me of some story elements that always niggled me as a child.

If you've made it to Adult Link...
Who wrote Ruto's letter? Always got the impression it was Ganondorf after his interference with the Kokiri and the Gorons.

I just assumed it was Ruto being prissy and refusing to admit she asked for help.

As for the second part... holy shit, I'd never thought of it like that, but it totally makes sense.

About the spoiler stuff above, wow, that would make a lot of sense, but here's the thing about Impa...

Shiek (aka Zelda, the 7th Sage) knew that Impa was the Sage before you even went into the Shadow Temple. Shiek said something like "Impa went into the Shadow Temple to stop the monster. Impa's one of the 6 Sages, you have to help her, Link! Here's the Requiem of Spirit..."

Big One

Banned
AniHawk said:
well, bringing in the sequel is kinda cheating but
if the sages were dead, they wouldn't have been killed off between oot and tww.
Pretty positive sages died a natural death in between OoT and TWW. Don't think there is anything that implied otherwise

BY2K

Membero Americo
Jesus Christ, Stalfos' jump attack takes out 4 freaking hearts.

I have 7 right now in the Forest Temple. I'm getting my ass kicked.

Why would you do that? said:
About the spoiler stuff above, wow, that would make a lot of sense, but here's the thing about Impa...

Shiek (aka Zelda, the 7th Sage) knew that Impa was the Sage before you even went into the Shadow Temple. Shiek said something like "Impa went into the Shadow Temple to stop the monster. Impa's one of the 6 Sages, you have to help her, Link! Here's the Requiem of Spirit..."

Oh yeah, for some reason I had thought Shiek was telling you what had happened in the past here, about Impa going to seal the monster away for the first time. But s/he's talking about Impa heading to the temple at that moment to chase the monster. I guess it's the fact you don't see Impa in the future in person outside of the Sacred Realm that made me think that.

It's weird because another thing that gave me the impression Impa was dead was how Shiek describes her/himself as survivor of the Shiekahs... as if s/he's the only one left... (obviously s/he's not even a Shiekah in the first place, but you know...)

Enk

makes good threads.
rhino4evr said:
Kinda feel bad for the folks that can't see or stomach 3D. I have no problems and it totally adds To the experience for me

Eh, 3d is ok in this when it works but I much prefer the gyro camera over it. It feels nearly cinematic running across the field while holding the L-Trigger and positioning the view like you're holding a film camera in your hands. It's something that I've never quite had with the right analogue stick.

bumpkin

BY2K said:
Jesus Christ, Stalfos' jump attack takes out 4 freaking hearts.

I have 7 right now in the Forest Temple. I'm getting my ass kicked.
I'm on the forest temple now too and I think I have seven or eight hearts... If you have the Hylean (sp?) shield, you can hold R to block their strikes; block and counter attack.

BY2K

Membero Americo
bumpkin said:
I'm on the forest temple now too and I think I have seven or eight hearts... If you have the Hylean (sp?) shield, you can hold R to block their strikes; block and counter attack.

I perfectly know that. >.< C'mon.

The problem is I sometimes don't time my attacks right and end up hit.

KevinCow

Banned
Stupid spirit temple. I swear I've checked everywhere I can and I can't find this damn key I need to progress.

BY2K said:
I perfectly know that. >.< C'mon.

The problem is I sometimes don't time my attacks right and end up hit.

Just hold your shield out until the attack, block their attack, then counter.

Combat in this game is pretty terrible, honestly. If you do anything aside from this, you're almost assured to get hit. Yet using this method is extremely dull.

Muskweeto

KevinCow said:
Combat in this game is pretty terrible, honestly. If you do anything aside from this, you're almost assured to get hit. Yet using this method is extremely dull.
I prefer to trick the Stalfos into doing a jump attack, then I jump to the side to dodge and land a jump attack on them.

Pie Lord

Is anyone else having trouble finding the running man in Hyrule field to sell the bunny hood to? I've been running around for damn near an hour and haven't seen him at all.

Muskweeto

Pie Lord said:
Is anyone else having trouble finding the running man in Hyrule field to sell the bunny hood to? I've been running around for damn near an hour and haven't seen him at all.
How far are you in the game? I think you need to have all three spiritual stones before he appears.

-PXG-

In terms of diificulty, furst being the most and last being the least, it goes:

Water
Shadow
Forest
Fire
Spirit

Spirit is linear as hell and such a cakewalk. There is little logic in navigating the Water Temple. A lot of it is trial and error and just dumb luck. It's "hard" due to sloppy design. Great Bay Temple in MM had logic, therefore, its difficulty was legitimate.

But after replaying MM ( my personal favorite Zelda game) I can see why people don't like it. It can be cheap and overly frusturating. Even when you slow down time, there is never enough for you to do everything you want to do. It seems like with the time limit and it's strict conditions for certain quests, that the game is never on ypur side. You feel hopeless and at times at the mercy of the game, just as the people of Clocktown are at the mercy of the moon....

Pie Lord

Muskweeto said:
How far are you in the game? I think you need to have all three spiritual stones before he appears.
That would explain it. Ugh, so much for knocking out all the side quests early on.

Pie Lord

-PXG- said:
But after replaying MM ( my personal favorite Zelda game) I can see why people don't like it. It can be cheap and overly frusturating. Even when you slow down time, there is never enough for you to do everything you want to do. It seems like with the time limit and it's strict conditions for certain quests, that the game is never on ypur side. You feel hopeless and at times at the mercy of the game, just as the people of Clocktown are at the mercy of the moon....
How did the clock work in Mojora's Mask again? 24 minutes to the day without slowing time wasn't it?

-PXG-

Pie Lord said:
How did the clock work in Mojora's Mask again? 24 minutes to the day without slowing time wasn't it?
1 Termina hour = 1 real life minute

Play the inverted song of time to make 1 hour into 3 real minutes instead.

I forgot how much I hate the Forest Temple. I like the twisty hall part, but there's always so much tedious backtracking after I find the bow. I've never felt like I understand how the layout of that dungeon is set up, it's just never felt fun to me.

When I was a kid playing this dungeon the music freaked the hell out of me. Now I find the constantly pulsating rhythm to be really annoying.

-PXG- said:
In terms of diificulty, furst being the most and last being the least, it goes:

Water
Shadow
Forest
Fire
Spirit

I'd put Shadow below Fire; it's linear as hell and the puzzles are very straightforward. Still my favorite dungeon though.

Muskweeto said:
Have the stones but he still doesn't appear :(

Busaiku said:
Anyone else feel that the bow handles much better than the slingshot?
I spent probably 1.5-2 hours total on that first shooting range, but it took me only 4 tries with the bow.
I think the bow's projectile is bigger, thus making hits easier so you don't have to be super precise. I found both to be very easy with the gyro, I only paid once for both (getting freebies by almost hitting them all).

zychi said:
getting epona in this version of the game sucks, such a pain in the ass with the little nub analog stick.
Got her on my first try with no problems whatsoever. Maybe there's a problem with your slide pad?

Pie Lord

Gravijah said:
re: running dood
There's a tree outside of town where he stops to rest at night, have you waited there for him?
Yes. I have been waiting along his route for about an hour for three days in a row now. Has anyone actually found him in-game yet? Or is it possible he's bugged.

Muskweeto

Pie Lord said:
Yes. I have been waiting along his route for about an hour for three days in a row now. Has anyone actually found him in-game yet? Or is it possible he's bugged.
I found him right away after finishing the childhood dungeons and returning to Castle Town.

Gravijah

Pie Lord said:

Found him after getting the Ocarina of Time and before going into the Temple of Time.

cacophony

I haven't played in two days after getting killed in the Forest Temple. I need to start again.

WHY DO I ALWAYS DO THIS WITH ZELDA GAMES. and then I regret it when I want to play again but it's not fresh in my mind so I start over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enk said:
Eh, 3d is ok in this when it works but I much prefer the gyro camera over it. It feels nearly cinematic running across the field while holding the L-Trigger and positioning the view like you're holding a film camera in your hands. It's something that I've never quite had with the right analogue stick.
This is one of the few games where I fan push the 3D to max and can appreciate it. BUT, I have to focus a little harder, and with the gyro aiming I have to shut off the 3D or close one eye. Generally I just have to concentrate too much and it tires me out. So for short bursts it's ok but I often flick back into 2D. The gorons town is pretty spectCular in 3D though

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I find it difficult to work out what I can do now, and what I need to come back to later. Eg, can I get all the chickens immediately? Can I get to the guy on the roof? Or do i have to wait until i'm grown? The 2D zeldas were usually a little easier to understand when they had areas blocked off due to lack of ability - very metroidesque

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont recall Impa's house in Kakariko Village having so many clues. Thanks to the higher quality textures her house is now littered with hints on how to use items.

Its a nice little detail.

jman2050

mrklaw said:
I find it difficult to work out what I can do now, and what I need to come back to later. Eg, can I get all the chickens immediately? Can I get to the guy on the roof? Or do i have to wait until i'm grown? The 2D zeldas were usually a little easier to understand when they had areas blocked off due to lack of ability - very metroidesque

I'm not sure if this is the intended way or not, but for the chickens:
you can use another chicken to float over the fence leading to the last two, but you have to do it from on top of the fence in front of the windmill. The other five are easy enough to find.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EatChildren said:
I dont recall Impa's house in Kakariko Village having so many clues. Thanks to the higher quality textures her house is now littered with hints on how to use items.

Its a nice little detail.

holy FUCK when did you get made a mod

Muskweeto said:
Hmm... have you gotten the
Ocarina of time
yet?
Gravijah said:
re: running dood
There's a tree outside of town where he stops to rest at night, have you waited there for him?
Have and did. Dunno, I'm not really OCD so I will let it rest for now but I wanted to tie up the loose ends before proceeding. But since a lot did meet him it probably ain't a bug.

Just did the
bottom of the well
and I totally forgot about that one. Felt brand new to me - and a pretty cool dungeon too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jman2050 said:
I'm not sure if this is the intended way or not, but for the chickens:
you can use another chicken to float over the fence leading to the last two, but you have to do it from on top of the fence in front of the windmill. The other five are easy enough to find.
Yeah, did that one, its one of the 'easy' ones i'm missing. Seems to be near the tall observation tower from the sound of it's clucking.

mrklaw said:

you can do all that,
at the top of the lookout tower you can z-target and sidestep jump to the left... you do it facing the mountain road... you will land on the high fence right next to the roof guy walk up the roof talk to him and then drop down on the chicken and carry it up stairs throw it... another chicken is up behind the windmill if you climb the latter you'll see it... don't fall in that hole in the grown or you will have to do your chicken run again

liger05

Pie Lord said:

Just locate yourself near the ranch. He will turn up.

Top Bottom