• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Santiako

Amir0x said:
fuck me i ordered this. I told myself I wouldn't, I argued on GAF for months that I wouldn't, but I just can't...I can't not get a Zelda game on launch day. I just can't. Fuck my life.

Next time you'll tell us that you will even play it in 3D!

I want this game, but I'm afraid I won't finish it since I've already played it. I played the Master Quest on GameCube and eventually I just stopped playing it because I basically already had played it. I wish I could wait for it to go on sale or drop to $20 but I know that will never happen because Nintendo never does that.

Oxx

I'm just about to attempt to jump back into Spirit Tracks for the first time since 2009. Wish me luck.

Synless

Amir0x said:
hahahaha

no.
It doesn't take away from any graphical effects or performance. I think for this particular game you will give it a shot.

Has it been 25 years for Metroid as well? Such a depressing picture of one of Nintendo's greatest under appreciated series.

Well, just threw down 60 bucks to get Germany's pre-order bonus (just the 3DS pouch, not the game). Seems stupid Play.com won't ship to the US anymore (they're how I got my Zelda GBA SP bundle back in 2004), so I can't get the other 3DS case (for now). Pretty sure I'm gonna be out a few hundred dollars when it's all said and done collecting all this stuff (US, JPN, EU, AU versions of the game and all their pre-order bonuses).

Kaldea

I've been back and forth on getting this even though I love the game (just too many games I'm interested in this month). Ended up just preordering and sticking with it. OoT is always worth it. :D

Synless said:
It doesn't take away from any graphical effects or performance. I think for this particular game you will give it a shot.

Please. Let's not get on this subject again.

Add myself into the group of people who have never finished this game all the way. I bought it at a yardsale with a whole bunch of games and N64 for $13 last year sometime. Played through a lot of it. At least up to the second dungeon in the second half of the game. But then I got sick of looking for heart pieces and doing mini-games and crap. Think I will do less of that this time through.

Also, I want to get that CD that comes with registering it, but I'm already at Platinum. I don't want to miss out on it though, so I may just register it early before the cut-off date.

Synless

PigSpeakers said:
Please. Let's not get on this subject again.

Add myself into the group of people who have never finished this game all the way. I bought it at a yardsale with a whole bunch of games and N64 for $13 last year sometime. Played through a lot of it. At least up to the second dungeon in the second half of the game. But then I got sick of looking for heart pieces and doing mini-games and crap. Think I will do less of that this time through.

Also, I want to get that CD that comes with registering it, but I'm already at Platinum. I don't want to miss out on it though, so I may just register it early before the cut-off date.
Your right, I remember his comments in the RR thread which also didn't have performance hits.

Codeblue

Gonna go ahead and upgrade my shipping to overnight. I've only ever beaten the game once, and that was on the GCN, so I've probably forgotten almost everything about the game except the music. OoT isn't a game I'm particularly nostalgic for, but damn does the music get me every time.

jtrov

I have this and Mercenaries paid off in full already. Can't wait to play OoT again, since I haven't played it in forever, and the new coat of paint should feel refreshing enough. I'm actually really looking forward to Master Quest as well, since I never played it before.

It's going to be a fun upcoming two weeks for the 3DS. Really looking forward to it.

Snake

121pjpl.png
Damn, that's a much bigger change than I thought.

TL4E

TSA said:
Well, just threw down 60 bucks to get Germany's pre-order bonus (just the 3DS pouch, not the game). Seems stupid Play.com won't ship to the US anymore (they're how I got my Zelda GBA SP bundle back in 2004), so I can't get the other 3DS case (for now). Pretty sure I'm gonna be out a few hundred dollars when it's all said and done collecting all this stuff (US, JPN, EU, AU versions of the game and all their pre-order bonuses).
(wow, you are hardcore)

kaskade

Amir0x said:
fuck me i ordered this. I told myself I wouldn't, I argued on GAF for months that I wouldn't, but I just can't...I can't not get a Zelda game on launch day. I just can't. Fuck my life.
I don't even have a 3ds yet and I have the game preordered in full. I figured I would've bought one already. I was thinking of canceling it but then I saw the soundtrack thing.

bummyhead

Hokuten said:
Damn, that's a much bigger change than I thought.

Now that is a dramatic difference!

Really makes you see how drab and bleak OoT's world was in retrospect. So funny because I remember in the late 90s prob 1999 or so playing ALttP with my dad, and my uncle happened to stop by, and upon seeing what we were playing said "That's nothing, compared to what I am playing, you should see what I am playing!"

Turned out he had just acquired an N64, and OoT, and not long after that he brought it over and I saw OoT for the first time too, and I was so enthralled by the "AMAZING" graphics.

Contrast that to when I started playing it recently in Virtual Console for the first time in many years, and it took me forever to adjust to just how awful this game actually looks. Whether its the ultra low rez textures, the flat shaded character models, the sprite trees, the strange flat "dirt" walls all around Hyrule Field, my god, the game did not age well graphically.

It's a funny thing really, some games are timeless, and kinda loose there charm when they are updated. Mega Man, for instance, Mega Man 9 and 10 are so much better than Mega Man 8, and would have been crap had they gone the Sonic 4 route. Ditto old Sierra adventure games, the VGA remakes of the likes of Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry really lost the soul of the game.

On the other hand, I have yet to find and N64 game that I could say the same about.

Sooo looking forward to this remake!

bummyhead said:
Now that is a dramatic difference!

Really makes you see how drab and bleak OoT's world was in retrospect. So funny because I remember in the late 90s prob 1999 or so playing ALttP with my dad, and my uncle happened to stop by, and upon seeing what we were playing said "That's nothing, compared to what I am playing, you should see what I am playing!"

Turned out he had just acquired an N64, and OoT, and not long after that he brought it over and I saw OoT for the first time too, and I was so enthralled by the "AMAZING" graphics.

Contrast that to when I started playing it recently in Virtual Console for the first time in many years, and it took me forever to adjust to just how awful this game actually looks. Whether its the ultra low rez textures, the flat shaded character models, the sprite trees, the strange flat "dirt" walls all around Hyrule Field, my god, the game did not age well graphically.

It's a funny thing really, some games are timeless, and kinda loose there charm when they are updated. Mega Man, for instance, Mega Man 9 and 10 are so much better than Mega Man 8, and would have been crap had they gone the Sonic 4 route. Ditto old Sierra adventure games, the VGA remakes of the likes of Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry really lost the soul of the game.

On the other hand, I have yet to find and N64 game that I could say the same about.

Sooo looking forward to this remake!
I'm still concerned that losing that "drab and bleak" atmosphere will be a big negative of this remake.

bummyhead

FTH said:
Good luck

?

Good luck on that Final Battle. I had *loads* of fun trying to move stupid Zelda around with the stylus fast enough and have her actually go where I wanted her to go.

Not to mention how shocking it is I actually made it to the final battle in this truly lousy Zelda game, what with that atrocious, unexplorable overworld, tedious train travel that made the Wind Waker sailing look positively sublime by comparison, and annoying, (though workable) touch controls, except in the final battle that is.

I certainly do hope that when Nintendo decides to make an original Zelda for 3ds it does not include and stupid gimicks or touch controls.

shadyspace said:
I'm still concerned that losing that "drab and bleak" atmosphere will be a big negative of this remake.
Basically for me, they could add colours to Young Link's side and I would see it as a positive, but Adult Link's side should be suitably bleak and oppressive. The Temples should definitely not be compromised.

bummyhead said:
Good luck on that Final Battle. I had *loads* of fun trying to move stupid Zelda around with the stylus fast enough and have her actually go where I wanted her to go.

Not to mention how shocking it is I actually made it to the final battle in this truly lousy Zelda game, what with that atrocious, unexplorable overworld, tedious train travel that made the Wind Waker sailing look positively sublime by comparison, and annoying, (though workable) touch controls, except in the final battle that is.

I certainly do hope that when Nintendo decides to make an original Zelda for 3ds it does not include and stupid gimicks or touch controls.
What are your feeling on PH?

eXistor

shadyspace said:
I never really experienced the original OoT as being "drab and bleak", rather "subdued". For me, the remastering seems to be unlocking its full potential.

shadyspace said:

I'm not that far yet,but Death Mountain still retains the omnious and drab feeling the original had. Some areas has a lot more color, but in general I feel so far it has just added to the atmosphere, and not detracted yet.

As I said in the other thread, the game now looks like we all imagine it to look like, when we think back on it now.

And the water is not horrible when in motion, there is even a nice little effect of water bubbles coming up after Link has surfaced.

bummyhead

shadyspace said:
What are your feeling on PH?

You know what? I played it, and I did beat it, but I remember very little about this game, to be honest. I don't remember the story, the boss, the villain, nothing. That's how much an impression this game left on me.

I also barely remember the infamous temple we all hate, except that I know I hated it too. I also remember finishing the game and knowing it was the first Zelda ever that I would never play again.

I think my hate for ST is greater mainly because PH was new and experimental, so I was kinda willing to give it a bit of a break, even if I didn't think the game was worthy of being Zelda.

ST on the other hand took everything that was stupid about PH, and made it even worse, and frankly, IMO, they improved nothing. Taking the repeat dungeon and making is slightly less awful does not count as an improvement in my book. I guess you could boil it down to this:

I didn't know what to expect in PH, so it was hard to be disappointed. On the other hand, I expected ST to be a major improvement, and instead it was just as bad, and they managed to make the travel system worse. Big failure.

Every other Zelda is infinitely re-playable, except for the two DS games, IMO.

Neiteio

Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening DX are the games that got my sixth-grade self into Zelda. It's going to be a sweet, sweet homecoming of sorts to have OoT 3D in the slot and LADX a short ways over on the main menu. *koolaidman oooooohyeaaaaaah*

But Skyward Sword with its shoebill birds and robo-girl and sexually ambiguous demon lord is stealing all my hype. :-\

Well, that and ghost-busting pharoah's tombs in Luigi's Mansion 2... Gliding over pipes and pines in Mario Kart... Bopping Boom Boom as Tanooki Mario in Super Mario... Slaying Hewdraw in Kid Icarus... Etc, etc.

And that's just the Nintendo systems! Then there's PS3, with sexy Batman and sexy Dark Souls and sexy Uncharted 3... And I'm telling myself I'll hold out on Vita and the sexy OLED-enhanced Vanillaware goodness of Dragon's Crown... I must resist... Too much too soon!

Sianos

Judging by the videos of
future castle town
, they definitely still have the drab and bleak atmospehere in places where it makes sense.

Pollux

One of the greatest games of all time, now on a handheld console....god damn this is fucking awesome. I'm so ready for this shit.

Merovin

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Good idea! There needs to be a Majora's Mask remake, and then an original game after that to conclude the Hero of Time's story. But would it take place in Hyrule or some other land? Hm.

End with the death that results in his appearance in Twilight Princess if a timeline *really* exists? Lol. I'd give anything for Majora's Mask 3D though.

Teknoman

One thing i'll say, OoT and MM had a really weird art style npcs that werent important to the story.

bummyhead said:
You know what? I played it, and I did beat it, but I remember very little about this game, to be honest. I don't remember the story, the boss, the villain, nothing. That's how much an impression this game left on me.

I also barely remember the infamous temple we all hate, except that I know I hated it too. I also remember finishing the game and knowing it was the first Zelda ever that I would never play again.

I think my hate for ST is greater mainly because PH was new and experimental, so I was kinda willing to give it a bit of a break, even if I didn't think the game was worthy of being Zelda.

ST on the other hand took everything that was stupid about PH, and made it even worse, and frankly, IMO, they improved nothing. Taking the repeat dungeon and making is slightly less awful does not count as an improvement in my book. I guess you could boil it down to this:

I didn't know what to expect in PH, so it was hard to be disappointed. On the other hand, I expected ST to be a major improvement, and instead it was just as bad, and they managed to make the travel system worse. Big failure.

Every other Zelda is infinitely re-playable, except for the two DS games, IMO.

They improved with Spirit Tracks by making a great original overworld theme and actual huge bosses that looked threatening. Not much, but its still improved...and the train was alot more manageable/less boring than the boat.

bummyhead

Teknoman said:
One thing i'll say, OoT and MM had a really weird art style npcs that werent important to the story.

They improved with Spirit Tracks by making a great original overworld theme and actual huge bosses that looked threatening. Not much, but its still improved...and the train was alot more manageable/less boring than the boat.

You honestly think that the train, which was literally on rails, was an improvement on the boat? That the stupid demon trains all over the place that served only to make travel even more tedious that it already was were an improvement? Honestly?

I'll give you the overworld theme though, it was a good.

wrowa

TSA said:
You should have asked around here, the pre-order package (including the pouch) was available at most German stores for quite a while for just 5€ :/ But yeah "was", by now every store I know already sold all of their's.

cacophony said:
I'm so tempted to buy a 3DS for this. I don't think it's worth it though. The only other 3DS game I want is Star Fox.

I had the same dilema, however I held off on the DSi XL just because of the 3DS. I'll most likely be playing many DS games alongside a few 3DS (for now).

Teknoman

bummyhead said:
You honestly think that the train, which was literally on rails, was an improvement on the boat? That the stupid demon trains all over the place that served only to make travel even more tedious that it already was were an improvement? Honestly?

I'll give you the overworld theme though, it was a good.

I'd like an actual overworld to travel around without being stuck to a vehicle, but the train was something new/always gave me something to do (that and I think trains are a nice way to travel in real life so i'm a little biased), so it just didnt seem as tame as the boat from PH. People complain about the boat from Wind Waker, but I enjoyed that since the game was so beautiful, and it was actually sort of relaxing.

EDIT: Really? No early event in Houston? C'mon.

Foxix Von

Dityrink said:
Was this posted?

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/zeldaevent/

6/18: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for 3DS preview event Saturday, 1pm to 5pm. Guests in attendence will have the opportunity to buy Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time one day early at the event.
Lines may form early at some locations - call your local participating store for details.

Is the store locator in that thing working right? No matter what I punch in nothing comes up, I live in Washington state and the only thing that happens is eventually it will seem to bug out and tell me the closest store is in Redwood, Utah. The fuck?

Top Bottom