• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom has sold over 10 million copies worldwide in less than 3 days

Fucking insane. I'm enjoying the game more than BotW. Almost 50 hours in. ~70 shrines done. But I think the gameplay loop got a little boring to me. Gonna take a break and come back this weekend.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Brian Cox Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

MarkMe2525

I really hope you’re right. I adore BOTW/TOTK, but I hope we get a new game in the style of the older 3D ones at some point. I love those so damn much.
I just procured a New 3ds XL and have recently started my first play through of OOT with plans to play Majora's Mask next. Being mainly a Sega and PlayStation kid in the late 80's and early 90's, I was aware of Zelda but never had an opportunity to play them. To my surprise, Zelda games are very similar to metroidvanias. Very cool stuff and I imagine a new Zelda entry with this play style would be amazing.

The Shepard

Game is great, I've only done one dungeon but explored loads and done loads of shrines. Much prefer it to BOTW so far. The abilities are much better, flying in the sky never gets old and the dragons tear story parts are pretty good. This is the switches best game imo.

BlackTron

no i think will evolve like they always do. people forget that we were stuck with the OOT fomula for a long time. let not go back. let them continue to evolve. Keep the OOT formula for the 2D Zelda games.

Why? Nintendo makes 2D Mario, 64 Mario, and the hybrid 3D World style Mario all at the same time, and they're all pretty good after a long history of experience and lessons from all their predecessors. OF COURSE we will get another open world game, but wait for it at the END of Switch 2 or even the next system. In the meantime, Switch 2 will need different Zelda stuff than just TOTK.

For example. Maybe we will get a 3D Zelda that is more focused, but it adds multiplayer with player 2 able to be Zelda. Which is a great reason for it to be a more focused game, and it can be built around facilitating this and whatever gimmick makes the 2 player tick. This would be a valid game but sit alongside TOTK on the shelf, not replace it, like the giant wall of Mario at Wal-Mart.

2D game remakes are already being rendered in 3D like Link's Awakening. There's no power reason to limit it to 2D gameplay anymore.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
holy-shit-holy-fucking-shit.gif

Wonder what they’ll do with the next one. They’re going to want to keep riding this wave for better or worse.
It's going to take a while. They will have time to think about it. My bet is they will move away from cel-shading. They have been using it for too long.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Cool. Maybe Nintendo can afford to buy a camera to take one picture of Metroid Prime 4 to show everyone :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Should be a pretty exciting battle between TotK and Hogwarts Legacy for the crown of best seller this year with apparently no CoD to compete with.

Quietly I'm rooting for HL so it will be even more funny when the entire gaming media pretends it doesn't exist when GOTY voting starts and it's not an available option to vote for!
Cod is coming out this year, they chalked their 2 year plan for mw2 lol. now its gonna be a "full priced expansion" whatever that means.

Fredrik

Deserved!
I’ve had to set a timer at the evenings so I don’t forget to go to bed so my work days don’t get ruined from playing TOTK til the morning.

John Wick

And there were clowns trying to compare this behemoth to Horizon.......................not for any actual useful purpose but for warring purposes. It's like making a statement that water is wet.........

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
/jk, noticed I have to add these now cause people are too serious these days.
when you're on a site like NeoGAF you have to specify because people say outlandish shit here all the time in the sake of console warring, lol

atmosphere is a lot different in a place like discord where jokes and irony are very common

Last edited:

HofT

Why? Nintendo makes 2D Mario, 64 Mario, and the hybrid 3D World style Mario all at the same time, and they're all pretty good after a long history of experience and lessons from all their predecessors. OF COURSE we will get another open world game, but wait for it at the END of Switch 2 or even the next system. In the meantime, Switch 2 will need different Zelda stuff than just TOTK.

For example. Maybe we will get a 3D Zelda that is more focused, but it adds multiplayer with player 2 able to be Zelda. Which is a great reason for it to be a more focused game, and it can be built around facilitating this and whatever gimmick makes the 2 player tick. This would be a valid game but sit alongside TOTK on the shelf, not replace it, like the giant wall of Mario at Wal-Mart.

2D game remakes are already being rendered in 3D like Link's Awakening. There's no power reason to limit it to 2D gameplay anymore.
Like Link's Awakening, albeit a remake, it was a surprising great treat to play. The more variety of different gameplay options for Nintendo's franchises the better.

Woopah

Dunno man. Elden Ring sold 13m in its first 5 weeks but only just hit 20 million this year. A lot of sales are front loaded but Nintendo games have legs like no one else so you may be correct.
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet did 10 million in 3 days and it hit 20 million in 6 weeks.

Now obviously we are outside the holiday season so TOTK won't do it quite as fast, but definitely by the end of the year.

John Wick

I ended up buying the OLED switch, the game, the amiibo and the pro controller...They got me good!
You got off easy. We have two Oled Switch and two enhanced battery Switch. Also two copies of a lot of the classics. The Amiibo is a scam.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Dunno man. Elden Ring sold 13m in its first 5 weeks but only just hit 20 million this year. A lot of sales are front loaded but Nintendo games have legs like no one else so you may be correct.
Elden Ring isn't on the same plane of existence Zelda is in terms of marketability and name recognition. Not to mention, it's just open-world Dark Souls, which is going to cap out at some point.

Nydius

Looking at the sales figures for this, Jedi Survivor, Hogwarts Legacy, and God of War Ragnarok (PS5), I think we can officially put the claim that people won't pay $70 for games to rest.

They clearly will.
And in record numbers.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I couldn't get around my head when people said Spiderman, Starfield or Hogwarts Legacy would be bigger than Zelda. Never made sense to me.

Maybe they are too used to ignore Nintendo (somehow) and this is the first time they pay attention closely.

I said earlier: A Zelda release is kinda Fifa world cup or Olympic games type of event for gaming industry, not even Mario has that privilege.

No other game has that privilege actually... Zelda is just legendary.

Top Bottom