• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom released one year ago today

sigmaZ

Happy birthday to the greatest game of all time (tied with Ocarina of Time) 🥳🎉

Please feel free to pay homage to the King.

Fond memories. Wasn't interested in the beginning found BotW to be a nice concept be padded to hell and not fully realized, but then I procured Tales of the Kingdom through unspeakable means thinking I would not enjoy it and I was amazed by how much I ended enjoying it. In BotW I explored maybe 30 percent of the entire world before I headed to Ganon, but with TotK and explored nearly 100 percent of it, sky land and underground, just because of the ease of travel from place to place. There is still a huge caveat. The need to grind for items and such severely kills the pace of exploration. I don't mind some grinding but the amount of items you need to craft or do anything is ridiculous and is obviously padding. FORTUNATELY, the dupe trick existed on the version I played and it made that a non-issue (though even with duping it wasn't always easy to get what you needed but it ironically balanced the game in my view). I loved flying around on my scooter things revisiting places I remember from the first game in a new light or the places I couldn't bother to visit. I played with highly scaled up graphics as well which made it all the more magical.
The soundtrack also fixed my grievances with the first one. There was a lot more of it and had some really cool vibes (surprisingly dark at times).

Still, I hope they try something new with the next iteration and something with less grind and more exploration and tool-based puzzle focus. I would love a game based around Shiek or Impa to change things up.

Exede

Love this game! I had a ton of fun with it. The freedom of doing stuff in the game like i want, was the best thing for me.

RCU005

To me the most disappointing part about the new Zelda format is that they finally added voice over, and it's completely wasted because it doesn't have a good story and it's very short.

BOTW had amazing characters, but the entire story is less than titktok video. Story in TOTK is even worse!

However, there's still a lot of potential, so hopefully Nintendo can see it properly and give us a great Zelda game:

- Keep the open world and exploration as is.
- Make gooddam dungeons goddammit! Not those stupid copy paste puzzle rooms.
- Bring back classic items. They could completely work whatever gimmick they add.
- STORY! You have voice over! UTILIZE IT! They did create great characters and lore in BOTW and threw it away!
- For that to work, they have to make the Story and progression linear. Many side quests and exploration could still work open-ended, but it was painful to see that NO ONE reacted to huge events because you could do everything in any order. And of course, the copy-paste puzzle rooms and cinematics.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Such a good game. Definitely in my top five of the last 10 years. Can’t believe it has already been a year since release. Time flies!

I’m currently watching my girlfriend play through it and it’s crazy how different her experience is and how every freaking puzzle solution is different to mine.

Nintendo has really made Zelda into something extraordinary.
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

I can’t wait for the next one. I hope they take the physics stuff even further. Give me Avatar Link with some crazy stuff like water/fluid bending etc. etc.

Last edited:

IAmRei

as I guess, people will still salty and consider this game is DLC without knowing that it's different game.
Both Breath of The Wild and ToTK are my best game ever now, these two expanded and among the few best examples to other dev, how to create living immersive Open World Game.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It’s 90% the same as BotW. Great game but it is what it is.
right because you spent 90% of the time doing the same things as BoTW. FFS this expansion bitching is pathetic.

Do you stop watching a show because the second episode takes place in the same setting?

So what do people think the wait for the next Zelda will be? Another 6.5 year from today is my guess.

HL3.exe

Loved it for it's physics and open-ended problem solving using systems and world-logic (instead of context sensitive scripts)

Wish more games would use this foundation.

Couldn't care less for it's quests and story, but the underlying mechanics and systems are very impressive.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I grew bored of it quite quickly. Having already played BOTW I couldn't shake the feel of "been there, done that". Might still give it another chance, but this time on an emulator since the game ran very poorly on my Switch.

I wish they went back to the classic approach of 3D Zeldas, or at least a mix of both like what RCU005 RCU005 suggests.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I grew bored of it quite quickly. Having already played BOTW I couldn't shake the feel of "been there, done that". Might still give it another chance, but this time on an emulator since the game ran very poorly on my Switch.

I wish they went back to the classic approach of 3D Zeldas, or at least a mix of both like what RCU005 RCU005 suggests.
One of the appeals of the game is seeing how much the world and its characters have changed since the first game. Then there's the entirety of the Depths (and Skys) to explore, which is completely new.

Unless you just don't care about the lore and how the world has changed, I'd say at least give it another chance. There's some great new content in there to see/do (especially a couple of the boss scenarios/dungeons) coupled with the new abilities and mechanics.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Haters gonna hate. I found it leaps better than botw.

Art direction was fantastic on this one moreso than any other Zelda.

Combat was more fun, soundtrack top shelf, and everything just works.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It was alright, way better than the performance at least. Stopped playing a bunch of hours in, but will probably pick it up on Switch 2 again.

Hudo

I might be alone on this one but I hope they make another Wind Waker style game with a huge map with water. But this time, also allow for diving with a submarine or so. And you can do an Atlantis-inspired storyline with the Zonai or something.

And then, after the mid-point of the game, it changes to a land-based Zelda because you cause Hyrule to rise up from the waters. Or you have some timeline stuff where you can travel between Hyrule before it sank and the current one. And water/flow control is one of the main gimmicks. I can see a dungeon that's just one huge-ass Pipe Mania puzzle.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So much better than Breath of the Wild that's it's not really worth discussing because it should be so fucking blatantly obvious to anyone who plays it.

Top Bottom