• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

And you can go see this

Now that you're done deflecting, why don't you go on and say how every Kingdom Hearts game is essentially the same and how Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep or Dream Drop Distance plays exactly like the original Kingdom Hearts and how it has aged so poorly compared to the great Wind Waker.
What "work"? The game looks and plays exactly the same. Am I supposed to praise them for bundling in another game I bought 2 times over? Cash-in.

Tripon

LOL, I bet people who complained about earthbound's price are sooo pissed right now!

Nintendo could release the rom of Starfox 2 on the Wii U virtual console for $12, and some people on Gaf and other places would rip them for paying four dollars more than the average, despite the game never been offically released.

"Ah yes.. I'll buy it at a high price!" *RE4 merchant voice.

No, but seriously. WW was a masterpiece in many ways. I don't doubt for a second I'll get my money's worth if I bought it at $50 for this visually re-done version.

cacildo

Games should be cheaper

Like starting at $30

You see, im tired of playing earthbound. I wish i could buy a new game and i can only buy games from the eshop.

If they had good games for $20 to $30, i could buy a new game out of the blue right now.
But since they cost $50 to $60, ill hold to my money for the new releases.

People defending Kingdom Hearts HD is incredibly laughable. At best that turns the debate into "my franchise loyalty is better than your franchise loyalty!".

re-releasing old content and doing the bare minimum needed to get the games warranting a home console release. obviously, that is OK with some people. i'm even OK with it, those are some of my favorite games of all time. i'm fine with them getting some love. however, i'm not deluding myself into thinking that they're being pro-consumer and not doing the bare minimum needed to earn the highest return per dollar... which is exactly what Nintendo is doing. however, it's apparently outrageous with nintendo does it.
Original Kingdom Hearts assets lost, assets had to be recreated for 1.5

Bare minimum huh
What "work"? The game looks and plays exactly the same. Am I supposed to praise them for bundling in another game I bought 2 times over? Cash-in.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=505212&

Keep digging that hole. Still waiting for the explanation of how they're all the same.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
This game should be 5 dollars because that's what GameStop used to give for trade in value!!!! In this day and age when some one makes a rerelease, I expect it to be cheap as hell! Fuck Nintendo!! LOL

People defending Kingdom Hearts HD is incredibly laughable. At best that turns the debate into "my franchise loyalty is better than your franchise loyalty!".

Does Nintendo have viral marketers on GAF now? Lots of suspicious posts from juniors lately...

re-releasing old content and doing the bare minimum needed to get the games warranting a home console release. obviously, that is OK with some people. i'm even OK with it, those are some of my favorite games of all time. i'm fine with them getting some love. however, i'm not deluding myself into thinking that they're being pro-consumer and not doing the bare minimum needed to earn the highest return per dollar... which is exactly what Nintendo is doing. however, it's apparently outrageous with nintendo does it.

Laughing my fucking ass off

Drago

People saying SE are doing the bare minimum for their HD Collections are delusional. KH HD probably has more work done to it than WW HD, and KH incleds 2 games (and a third game in cut scenes) for less than the price of WW. And these games include new content previously Japan exclusive, localized for the West! And its the same case for the FFX collection (International versions).

If you're gonna call out companies for doing the bare minimum with HD Collections, SE is not the one to criticize.

hamchan

Redone character models and textures in FFX and X-2. New camera angles to support widescreen.

The original KH assets were lost according to Nomura, so they had to recreate nearly everything for HD. They also changed the camera in the original KH so that it's used with the right stick instead of shoulder buttons, which is much much better to play btw. Also apparently reaction commands that appeared in KH2 are now in KH1.

International/Final Mix content for both.

You either really didn't know about the changes or are being disingenuous.

I understand people wanting it to be cheaper, but anyone paying any attention to Nintendo should have known it wasn't going to happen. I've got my copy pre-ordered and I can't wait personally, but it is what it is.

i suppose one could say that if the assets were lost, then digging them out from the game and working from there would be the bare minimum. sure. not sure what that has to do with anything. that isn't some bright and shining example of going above and beyond at all.

original.jpg

It's a good thing rebuilding the games weren't the only things they did.

jts

...hate me...
Hey! KH 1.5 HD doesn't have enough bloom to warrant that extra $10. >:U
It also helps that it's KH, not Zelda.

resident-evil-4-wii-edition-big.jpg

I paid 50 eurobux for the ultimate edition of Resident Evil 4. Totally worth it.

There's a difference between these great timeless pieces like RE4 and TWW and your average PS360 HD remake of series that are mainly popular to the dudebro/japanophile audiences and in reality are not really that good or can properly stand the test of time.

Sami+

There's a difference between these great timeless pieces like RE4 and TWW and your average PS360 HD remake of series that are mainly popular to the dudebro/japanophile audiences and in reality are not really that good or can properly stand the test of time.

Please tell me you're joking.

Dipswitch

I don't see how this is worth $50 personally. Other remakes of this ilk (i.e. Halo, etc) seem to go for $30, give or take. Which is about what I'd pay for this. Especially since I've played it through to completion on the Gamecube.

I'm looking for excuses to get a Wii U to play with my son and between this and the console pricing itself, they ain't making that decision an easy one.

BY2K

Membero Americo

jts
...hate me...
(Today, 12:55 PM)

This is not going there, please tell me this isn't going there.

Holy shit

Gartooth

I'm out, no longer willing to argue this shit anymore when people are completely unwilling to talk about this logically and instead are resorting to fanboyish "well my favorite game is better than your lame game so of course it should cost more!".

Hoo-doo

Banned
Should be 30 bucks max.
Good game or not, it's still an old game nearly everyone has played already.
Creating an actual brand new experience from scratch deserves 50/60 dollars, merely updating an old-ass game to look shiny does not.

Sami+

i suppose one could say that if the assets were lost, then digging them out from the game and working from there would be the bare minimum. sure. not sure what that has to do with anything. that isn't some bright and shining example of going above and beyond at all.

They rebuilt the game, fixed the controls, added new content, added another game, and redid the story of the DS game in movie form; what the fuck else do you want?

Darryl

Banned
They rebuilt the game, fixed the controls, added new content, added another game, and redid the story of the DS game in movie form; what the fuck else do you want?

i never said i wanted anything. i'm saying they did what they needed to do to make it a convincing package to sell to people. that's what nintendo and companies in general do. however, apparently people should be excited at one and upset at the other. even funnier, we only know how the first 15 minutes in wind waker HD plays.

I'm out, no longer willing to argue this shit anymore when people are completely unwilling to talk about this logically and instead are resorting to fanboyish "well my favorite game is better than your lame game so of course it should cost more!".
Don't blame him. It was a fairly reasonable discussion until people started bringing up other games.

Also no, not all games are of the same quality, but if people can't even admit that then they shouldn't be in here attempting to play the comparison game.

No, the debate turns into who is completely ignorant and who isn't.

Here are the facts

Square-Enix rebuilt two games, one of which has never released outside of Japan, and turned a DS game into a movie for people to experience that game's story. They are charging $40 for it and are including an art book.

Nintendo is rebuilding one game and is charging $50.

Now if you want to go on a diatribe about how that one game is a masterpiece and Square-Enix can't even lick Nintendo's boots to compare to them so they have to do more work and charge less, that's fine. Just know that you sound deluded.

BY2K

Membero Americo
For the sake of information, here's what we know so far about WWHD.

- Updated visual (higher-res textures, no higher polygon count, better shaders)
- The D-pad is now used to bind key items such as the sail and the Wind Waker
- The Tingle Tuner is replaced by the Tingle Bottle, a Miiverse focused feature
- Playing songs and changing the wind direction is faster
- Text is faster
- The end-game Triforce Hunt has been retouched but how we don't know.
- New item that boosts the King of Red Lion's sailing speed by 50%

one of which has never released outside of Japan

Which one?

Here are the facts

Square-Enix rebuilt two games, one of which has never released outside of Japan, and turned a DS game into a movie for people to experience that game's story. They are charging $40 for it and are including an art book.

Now if you want to go on a diatribe about how that one game is a masterpiece and Square-Enix can't even lick Nintendo's boots to compare to them so they have to do more work and charge less, that's fine. Just know that you sound deluded.
Okay, since this is where the convo has ended up, I'll play ball.

KH is easily in my top 5 of all time favorite franchises. A top 5 that doesn't even consist of Zelda, I just happen to think WW is an amazing game. If you disagree then that's fine too, we're not here to compare favorites and I never intended to. I just feel that WW warrants the price compared to it's original game. I'm not going to sit up here and try to dissect why SE priced KH HD at $40 as if their actions dictate how Nintendo should be valuing their games.

"Because they did it!" will never be a legitimate reason for me. If it is for you then great, but you're going to lose out every time with that mindset. You could just as easily head to a swap meet and buy a used disc or better yet, pay $100 on Amazon for a fresh, sealed copy of the GCN version.

Sami+

Here are the facts

This.

Seriously; the reason this price is so fucking ridiculous is because other people have delivering way more value and content for years now. I don't care how good Wind Waker is, it's ridiculous that Nintendo is doing this.

You're the one that used completely bogus comparison shots. You used an Emulator shot of KH, and I don't even know what shot that is of WW.

This is how i know you used an emulator shot for KH1.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42874567&postcount=1096

The shots you used are unfair representations of both games.

Ok, what's your point? Does WW have more polys than KH? Does it have greater geometry? Draw distance? Higher framerate or resolution? More AA?

If you'd rather look at Link instead of Sora and his Disney pals, that's one thing. But saying one game aged well while the other gives eye cancer is flat out wrong. That's not an opinion. It's wrong.

Somnid

Why are they pricing on this arbitrary set of rules? Surely they should price on this other arbitrary set of rules.

Here are the facts

For all I care, SE could remake in HD and sell all KH games together for $10, but at the end of the day, I am going to take much more pleasure in playing a Zelda game, a single Zelda game, and I pay according to the amount of joy a product can bring for me, not based on how much money the developer spent on making it.

It is true for every other product, specifically true for artistic products.

People are willing to pay $50, because they will be playing one of the best games ever made, and one of the best games to come out this year by current standards.

For the sake of information, here's what we know so far about WWHD.

- Updated visual (higher-res textures, no higher polygon count, better shaders)
- The D-pad is now used to bind key items such as the sail and the Wind Waker
- The Tingle Tuner is replaced by the Tingle Bottle, a Miiverse focused feature
- Playing songs and changing the wind direction is faster
- Text is faster
- The end-game Triforce Hunt has been retouched but how we don't know.
- New item that boosts the King of Red Lion's sailing speed by 50%
There's a new difficulty mode as well.

WillyFive

This game should have been on the 3DS, and A Link Between Worlds should have been on Wii U. The 3DS doesn't need help this year, but Wind Waker HD will do very little for the Wii U. A portable Wind Waker with 3D visuals would have been great.

For all I care, SE could remake in HD and sell all KH games together for $10, but at the end of the day, I am going to take much more pleasure in playing a Zelda game, a single Zelda game, and I pay according to the amount of joy a product can bring for me, not based on how much money the developer spend on it.

It is true for every other product, specifically true for artistic products.

So it's not rape as long as you enjoy it.

Ok, what's your point? Does WW have more polys than KH? Does it have greater geometry? Draw distance? Higher framerate or resolution? More AA?

If you'd rather look at Link instead of Sora and his Disney pals, that's one thing. But saying one game aged well while the other gives eye cancer is flat out wrong. That's not an opinion. It's wrong.

I never said that, you did. You said Wind Waker looks like shit, and I disagree. You then posted my quote with two bogus pictures. I haven't said a single word against KH or Disney or whatever. I don't care what either look like. I will be buying all 3 HD remakes at whatever price, because I don't care how much they cost.

Stop manipulating everything everyone says.

thefro

Wait, what.

From the Amazon description:

Key Features
Play the definitive version of this timeless classic on the Wii U console, now with stunning HD graphics and new game features.
Guide Link as he sets out on the massive Great Sea to find his kidnapped sister.
Sail the seas in search of lost islands, fight fearsome enemies, and take on mighty bosses.
Discover Miiverse messages that wash up in various locations—it’s like finding a message in a bottle.*
Take on a more challenging difficulty level.
Manage your inventory and view maps on the Wii U GamePad controller.
* Broadband Internet access required

This game should have been on the 3DS, and A Link Between Worlds should have been on Wii U. The 3DS doesn't need help this year, but Wind Waker HD will do very little for the Wii U. A portable Wind Waker with 3D visuals would have been great.
People would have shat blood if an overhead Zelda ended up on Wii U for full price. This isn't 1992.

I never said that, you did. You said Wind Waker looks like shit, and I disagree. You then posted my quote with two bogus pictures. I haven't said a single word against KH or Disney or whatever. I don't care what either look like. I will be buying all 3 HD remakes at whatever price, because I don't care how much they cost.

Stop manipulating everything everyone says.

Uh, there are people in this thread saying all the ps360 remasters should be cheap because they look like shit compared to WW.

So it's not rape as long as you enjoy it.
Of course I would rather not pay $50 and still play the game, but eventually, I believe paying $50 for it will be one of the best ways to spend that $50.

And that's definitely how I pay for any other games. I regularly pay full price for a lot of games on GoG that normally are on sale for less than half their original price, but haven't paid more than $30 for a single HD game this generation.

Sami+

For the record, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Wind Waker HD gameplay-wise. It's a great game, and the new changes warrant playing it again.

... Just not for fifty fucking dollars. The only thing I have an issue with is the ludicrous price, made worse by the fact that other companies are doing the same and more for a lower price.

WillyFive

People would have shat blood if an overhead Zelda ended up on Wii U for full price. This isn't 1992.

If Nintendo can make a 2D platformer for a home console at full price and become one of the best selling games of the generation; then I'm sure a 2D Zelda would be able to work too. Besides, a New Legend of Zelda title is what I've seen many ask for since the first NSMB in 2006; especially after many feared that Minish Cap was going to be the last 2D Zelda due to the release of the DS.

Mory Dunz

If $50 dollars is too high, sales will show. GAF doesn't represent casual fans who might randomly see WW HD in a store.

If $50 is more than what consumers think it's worth, then they won't buy it. If $50 is what consumers value it at, then they will buy it.

Just let the eventual sales decide.

Top Bottom