• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

Was thinking twice when it was 50 but for 60? nooooo i love WW but i can't justify spending that much for something I've played a million times already.

It does if they want a lot of people to buy it. It's either that or add a bunch of new content to justify the cost of a new game. This is doing neither.

The cheaper the better yes, but we are not entitled to budget pricing on every HD remake. And besides they are adding in some of the main things a lot folks complained about in the original. And this is Nintendo we are talking about. I would be shocked if they changed the price to $39.99.

Regiruler

I saw this coming from a mile away after they got away with Ocarina 3D. All of you let it happen.

I had never played Ocarina of Time so full price was OK with me.

Not really as interested in WWHD though as I have a full plate (Sonic and Pokemon yo).

Pappasman

kinda sucks that its gonna be $60, but the price doesn't affect my budget for games this fall so whatever. I'll still get it.

Appleman

For me playing my favorite 3D Zelda game in 1080p and widescreen is easily worth the full price of a game. I would pay that for Dragon Quest VIII and Star Wars KOTOR HD remasters as well. Just because an older game gets remastered doesn't mean it has to be value priced.

Yep, I'll pay full price for GameCube remakes in 1080p with this treatment. Metroid Prime 1 and 2? I'd pay hundreds for Wii U remakes of those

The cheaper the better yes, but we are not entitled to budget pricing on every HD remake. And besides they are adding in some of the main things a lot folks complained about in the original. And this is Nintendo we are talking about. I would be shocked if they changed the price to $39.99.
They can price it however they want, but it doesn't make consumers entitled when they don't buy it at that price.

People are well within their rights to compare it to similar HD collections and wonder why they're paying more for less.

majik13

I'll give you OoT as a "remake-lite" but Star Fox 64 3D had completely overhauled graphics and re-recorded dialog.

OoT3D had completely overhauled graphics as well. Not to mention new interface/control stuff.

OoT-Comparison-1.jpg
ocatime.jpg

28525.jpg

OoT-Comparison-7.jpg

Shiggy

OoT3D had completely overhauled graphics as well. Not to mention new interface/control stuff.

The graphics weren't completely overhauled. Some rooms were completely overhauled, but in most places only textures were improved. The polycount often stayed the same. So it's similar to Wind Waker HD, which is an enhanced port of the original where they also just improve some textures (in terms of graphics).

Edit: Apparently I am wrong about the polycount.

$60 is way way too much for a single HD remake from previous gen. Nintendo is really sticking it to their fans on this one..

The sad part is some hardcore N fans that are trying to justify the reasons it might be worth it. But they are adding this or that to it! They made travel quicker! Delusional...
HD game development is hard. You up the resolution and that in and of itself balloons the development budget to astronomical proportions. I retroactively ballooned System Shock 2's budget by installing some fan-made mods and turning the resolution up to a whopping 2880x1800.

also, glad I got in at $50, lol

majik13

The graphics weren't completely overhauled. Some rooms were completely overhauled, but in most places only textures were improved. The polycount often stayed the same. So it's similar to Wind Waker HD, which is an enhanced port of the original where they also just improve some textures (in terms of graphics).

yeah probabaly in some cases there were similar polycounts, but for 95% of the game I would say everything was redone....as you seem to see now.

Shiggy

yeah probabaly in some cases there were similar polycounts, but for 95% of the game I would say everything was redone....as you seem to see now.

Yes, I looked at comparison videos again. I wonder why they didn't do more with the graphics when they were already at it.

Persona7

Banned

They basically took the original game and ported it to the 3DS and then built on it from there. You can even perform glitches that were in the original N64 game.

Upgraded port.

HD game development is hard. You up the resolution and that in and of itself balloons the development budget to astronomical proportions. I retroactively ballooned System Shock 2's budget by installing some fan-made mods and turning the resolution up to a whopping 2880x1800.

also, glad I got in at $50, lol

A couple of SweetFx-esque bloom shaders and holee shit, you've just quadrupled the budget right there!

majik13

Yes, I looked at comparison videos again. I wonder why they didn't do more with the graphics when they were already at it.

I think it turned out pretty great for what they had, the 3ds version matches the original concept art much better than the n64 version ever hoped to do.

Fandangox

I don't know how to feel about this cause I think it should be $39.99, but if they were to do the exact same thing with an HD F-Zero GX port I know I wouldn't think twice about getting it full price despite how broke I am.

That's a pretty big leap in logic. $20 more than expected for a game is not comparable to spending hundreds more buying/upgrading a PC.

Even more, this game is not just an uprezed port of the original. There's also new gameplay features with the gamepad. As well as a higher difficulty mode.

I won't be buying it for $60, tho. Some people can afford it. So why not.

Eusis

I really hope they aren't actually sticking with $60: I can defend $50 to an extent and see nothing wrong with $40, but $60's just taking the opposite extreme more than anything else, and screw that.

Gabe3208

Banned
I just contacted Amazon because I had the game in my cart but forgot to check out with it, and they actually went ahead and honored the $49.99 price for me. Awesome! I never got to play Windwaker back in the day because I had just joined the military and wasn't really gaming at that time, so this'll be a new experience for me.

We are entitled to compare value though and buy accordingly.

They are not adding anything significant, imo. Miiverse posts showing up as messages in bottles, a faster boat, hard mode, a modified tri force hunt, some bloom and updated textures seem pretty minor compared to actual remakes like Metroid: Zero Mission, Pokemon FrLgHGSS, REmake, The Twin Snakes, etc. They some how forgot to add one of the major things people complained about, the cut dungeons. They certainly can't use them now they been repurposed for Twilight Princess, but they're not exactly building anything new to compensate, unless they've been keeping new dungeons secret all this time and are waiting to surprise us. Though I kind of doubt it.

Yeah, it is Nintendo, but selling for a lower cost isn't that beneath them, looking at stuff like Rhythm Heaven or Touch Generation games. Even Square-Enix who's well known for over pricing their games has done a lot of work in remastering FFX, X-2, KH, KHReCoM and rebuilding all of the important cutscenes from 358/2 Days all the while selling those games as bundles at a much cheaper price. It's out of character for them too.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Had they added new dungeons I would have gladly paid 60 bucks. However Graphics were never WInd Waker's weak point, and it's probably the one Zelda game with the least to gain from HD.

Majora Mask
Twilight Princess

60's bucks day one!

Wind Waker, nope! It was too short and easy.

Wow only 60 bucks!! That's a steal. Everyone should pick this up. When i heard this I thought the price would be between 300-1000 bucks. Man i can't wait.

Acerac

Banned
It was already unlikely to get this game but for that price? Wow!

I'll echo the sentiments of others who said they got more for less when they got the game a decade ago.

Which dungeons?
I played the gamecube game. It was fantastic.

I love it too, doesn't stop the fact that they cut dungeons to get the game out on time. The fetch quest was added to replace them and extend the games length.

Apparently the dungeons can't be put back in, because Nintendo said the ideas from them were used in Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword.
Coz you know, it's impossible to come up with two new dungeons for this HD version, lol. So lazy.

Instead they've added a Dark Souls online hint system, for an 11 year old game that's notoriously easy. Such a waste of resources, the planners on the HD version just don't get it.

Instro

Admittedly a lot of work has gone into this, but they must be out of their mind to think they can charge $60 for something that is not a complete remake.

Yep, I'll pay full price for GameCube remakes in 1080p with this treatment. Metroid Prime 1 and 2? I'd pay hundreds for Wii U remakes of those

Prime is one of my favorite games of all time but I wouldn't pay more than $20 for an HD remaster. Same goes for my other most wanted GCN games like Sunshine and Eternal Darkness. $60 is asking way too much.

NR1

Wow! I still can’t believe the amount of discussion going on over Wind Waker HD’s price. It seemed so obvious from the get go that this was going to be $59.99 just for the simple facts that it’s a Zelda game and its made by Nintendo. I hope anyone interested in getting the game took the opportunity to grab it off Amazon for $49.99 while they could. I did!

It’s interesting, I’ve been trying to finish out my GameCube collection over the last 4 months thanks to the “NeoGAF GCN Appreciation Thread” and every weekend I will visit my local used game shops in Dallas, TX (Entertainmart, Movie Trading Company, Play N Trade, CGX, and Game Trade) to see if I can find better deals on games than on Amazon Market or eBay. It’s been my experience that very rarely will you find used copies of Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, or most any major Nintendo release. In the off chance you happen to come across one of these title, they charge premium dough for it (typically $35 to $50). Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the Cube were like spotting Bigfoot for the longest time, but interestingly enough just this week copies of Wind Waker suddenly started appearing at most of the game shops and they are all charging $49.99, which is exactly what I paid at launch 10 years ago. I asked one of the store clerks about it and he seemed pretty surprised by how many copies have appeared in his store lately too. He suspects that many owners are trying to “cash in” on the high value before Winder Waker HD is released and crashes the 2nd hand value market.

Biker19

Banned
Read up on the game. Redone art assets, textures, shaders, etc on top of the technical improvements. This is far more rework than "every single other HD remake".

And this is what most posters here have been ignoring. This is key to why it's $50 (or $60).

But I wouldn't buy it for either of those prices.

amnesiac

Wow! I still can’t believe the amount of discussion going on over Wind Waker HD’s price. It seemed so obvious from the get go that this was going to be $59.99 just for the simple facts that it’s a Zelda game and its made by Nintendo. I hope anyone interested in getting the game took the opportunity to grab it off Amazon for $49.99 while they could. I did!

It’s interesting, I’ve been trying to finish out my GameCube collection over the last 4 months thanks to the “NeoGAF GCN Appreciation Thread” and every weekend I will visit my local used game shops in Dallas, TX (Entertainmart, Movie Trading Company, Play N Trade, CGX, and Game Trade) to see if I can find better deals on games than on Amazon Market or eBay. It’s been my experience that very rarely will you find used copies of Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, or most any major Nintendo release. In the off chance you happen to come across one of these title, they charge premium dough for it (typically $35 to $50). Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the Cube were like spotting Bigfoot for the longest time, but interestingly enough just this week copies of Wind Waker suddenly started appearing at most of the game shops and they are all charging $49.99, which is exactly what I paid at launch 10 years ago. I asked one of the store clerks about it and he seemed pretty surprised by how many copies have appeared in his store lately too. He suspects that many owners are trying to “cash in” on the high value before Winder Waker HD is released and crashes the 2nd hand value market.

I was surprised when I tried to get a hold of some Gamecube games a few months ago that I never bought initially. The prices were ridiculously high. It sucks.

Top Bottom