• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharbhund

Chittagong said:
castle_kingscastle.jpg

King's castle.

I don't think this set was the first Legos I owned, but it was my favorite as a kid. I still have some pieces, but I'm sure it's not a full set. I've considered rebuying it on eBay.

MisterNoisy said:
God, I used to have so much LEGO - enough to fill two of those huge underbed Sterilite containers. I ended up giving them all away to a coworker for their kid's birthday.

Only thing left is this little dude, who stands watch over my desk:

h1zwt.jpg

Awesome. Do you have a parts list for this or instructions?

rezuth

Didn't Lego come close to bankruptcy recently? I remember they had to overhaul the process they used to make the blocks with.

wetwired

I'm pretty sure I've posted some of these before in other threads but here's a few of my creations

Front View by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Lego Batmobile Tumbler by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Costume Corner by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Town View by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Accident by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Apprehended by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Frank Profile Left by Brent Waller, on Flickr

ALA-N Exploring by Brent Waller, on Flickr

AU20-C "Nugget" Starfighter by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Half the fun is photographing them, I have tons more photos in some fun setups for the robots etc.

KingK

wetwired said:
I'm pretty sure I've posted some of these before in other threads but here's a few of my creations

Town View by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Half the fun is photographing them, I have tons more photos in some fun setups for the robots etc.

Holy shit dude. Those are all pretty impressive, but this one made my jaw drop.

Nice work

wetwired

KingK said:
Holy shit dude. Those are all pretty impressive, but this one made my jaw drop.

Nice work

To clarify the middle building I built, the rest a actual sets you can buy, I built my building to suit and fit with that line of sets.

MisterNoisy

moop2000 said:
Awesome. Do you have a parts list for this or instructions?

Thanks! As for instructions, I'm afraid not - it's mostly just the result of trying to find a way to make use of a limited number of small pieces. I will say that the 'Builder' series sets have a lot of the sorts of parts I used for this sort of thing, though.

KingK

wetwired said:
To clarify the middle building I built, the rest a actual sets you can buy, I built my building to suit and fit with that line of sets.

Ah, ok. Still really impressive and I love your other stuff too. Especially the tear drop on the ambulance robot. lol.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
This thread is making me want to get the old lego out.

I probably had more Star Wars than anything else.

Favourite set was probably the soccer field, since it was actually half fun to play. Use to replace the soccer players with good guys Vs bad guys from the Star Wars sets.

wetwired

wetwired said:
I may have to buy this new one to compensate

4588130390_238d3c105a_b.jpg
Well my wife bought this one for me today for my birthday, I just have to wait a month before I can get it. Got it pretty cheap too in the local (Australian) end of year toy sales.

SmokyDave

mrklaw said:
hey, why do you work? To earn money to rebuy all your childhood favourite toys on ebay of course!

I remember that Space set, think I had it too. But my favourite set was this Technic Chassis, which I bought off ebay last year - used but in good condition

http://i.imgur.com/GWdML.jpg[/snipIMG][/QUOTE]
I can't see that image at work but I'm guessing it's the one from 1980, (8860). Owning that was my childhood dream. My plan is to acquire that bad boy and these two over summer....

[IMG]http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kt2467KhNR1qzh0pgo1_500.jpg
512qwWnb65L.jpg

And then my life will be complete. The Shock Cycle was by far my favourite as a youngster.

Woorloog

Banned
Cool stuff Wetwired, cool stuff.
I never took pics of my creations.. but then i liked building things far more than watching or playing with them.

Let's see what i've build... Chess board and pieces. Wasn't completly white and black board, ran out of flat white pieces.
A miniature (30cm across?) Halo.
Venator-class Star Destroyer from Star Wars (again, 25cm long maybe, not sure)
Working non-motorized crane, you know, tall (usually) orange ones.
Marauder-mech from Battletech
"MCV" from C&C. It could be deploeyd though it didn't form a roof.

And a bunch of others probably, though i cannot remember all my creations. Mostly they're broken soon after construction.

Milchjon

wetwired said:
*pics*

Love all those. 2 Questions:

Can you actually put a minifig in the Tumbler?
And wouldn't it make sense to take the hands off the clothes on the clothesrack?

wetwired

Milchjon said:
Love all those. 2 Questions:

Can you actually put a minifig in the Tumbler?
And wouldn't it make sense to take the hands off the clothes on the clothesrack?

1) Yes you can and the roof fits back on when he's in there.

EDIT> For some reason that image below isn't working for me, if it doesn't for you click the link to see the interior.

3230014655_45137d8e99_z.jpg

Lego Batmobile Tumbler by Brent Waller, on Flickr

2) Yes, but I'm lazy and was worried I'd lose them if I did

I actually made instructions for it using a Lego CAD program, you can find them here if you're interested

MisterNoisy said:
God, I used to have so much LEGO - enough to fill two of those huge underbed Sterilite containers. I ended up giving them all away to a coworker for their kid's birthday.

Only thing left is this little dude, who stands watch over my desk:

h1zwt.jpg

where can i find this guy?? i have a friend whose a Gundam nut. this would make an awesome gift for him.

wetwired said:
1)

I actually made instructions for it using a Lego CAD program, you can find them here if you're interested

You're awesome dude. I love when the curtain is pulled back on some of these creations instead of people hoarding how to make them. Just a few questions. Did you use the official set as a basis for this one? If so, did you feel that you wanted to improve upon it? Would you be down to work on a Thundertank? I've seen attempts at the Thundertank but it would be so cool to get some instructions on one. Thanks again for the instructions.

wetwired

BGBW said:
Series 5 minifigs look cool.

Yeah I'll get the whole set as usual, but for me there isn't as many "must haves" or ones I want multiples of, like the zombies, elves, musketeers and biohazard guys previously

mrklaw

MrArseFace
at the moment, I'm tempted by the Imperial Shuttle and Tower Bridge, both of which are really expensive.
pe4EH.jpg

PTeQY.jpg

My most recent few purchases were that large shuttle (very nice), a remote controlled bulldozer, and the fully remote controlled excavator. That thing is nuts. Three sticks, you can move it forward/back with independent track controls, and spin the body raise/extend the boom arm.

hN72T.jpg

And I like the modular shops that wetwired showed. Would make a nice centerpiece for a town

MisterNoisy

panama chief said:
where can i find this guy?? i have a friend whose a Gundam nut. this would make an awesome gift for him.

HammerOfThor said:
Do you guys know what set this is from?

I just put it together from small pieces I had laying around - it's not from a set, unfortunately.

hiro4

I used to play so much till almost 20 years ago. Now as a parent I started buying whole new sets again.

I'm a lucky man with my gf as she is a Lego nut too. Unfortunately my son likes to destroy the Lego more then making them but he will turn around.

My last buy (besides a Duplo plane for my son) was a Lego creator set of a off road car. Thing was awesome to build. Took 6 hours I think together with my gf.

My most recent LEGO purchase is (apart from some cheap Toy Story stuff and a few minifigs from Series 1 and 2) something I bought a couple of months ago already. It was on sale for half of what it should cost and being a huuuuuge F1 nut I could not resist:

8157-1.jpg

It looks really cool in person. I still want the original F1 one too (I believe that is a Technic set). Apart from this I have a couple of Star Wars sets (AT-ST original series, Vader's TIE-fighter, the Clone Wars Attack Ship thingy and the Rogue Shadow from the Force Unleashed games (cool set!)), a few Toy Story ones and a shitload of original CITY and just random adventure sets from when I was a child.

I used to spend hours gazing into the massive displays they created for the LEGO catalogues. HOURS.

My Dad was best mates with the local LEGO representative in Victoria, so we'd get all the sets with one piece missing. I had probably close to 50 sets. It was fucking heaven.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Subitai said:
My fav that I owned.
6895-1.jpg
Hell yes! Also: The Airport Set mentioned before was amazing, so much value in there and small details.

Those 'castle' themed Robin Hood sets were awesome, too. I have to buy me some Legos soon :(

Acid08

Banned
I work for this company. Basic gist is that we use Legos to teach engineering basics to kids. I helped teach one of the summer camps this week, was tons of fun.

Lego's by far my fav toy ever.

Even at 25 I'm still collecting and hope I can pass it on to children some day.

My most recent purchase was this Enzo:
enzo_ferrari_lego_02.jpg

Almost due for another I reckon!

Boogiepop

God do I ever love Legos, but they're just so expensive that I couldn't imagine getting back into them anytime soon (damn you other expensive hobbies!)
Still, I'll never forget how sad I was when they came out with a set for giant robots... well after I stopped collecting. I swear, I spent so much of my childhood trying to make giant robots out of my Legos, always with shoddy results...

Subitai said:
That is a sic deal.

Most impressive monorail set-up video I could find. Trains get way move love since they get space at model rail conventions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghY0nmVUgyA&NR=1

Yeah, I figured this would be a great set to resell as these parts are hard to come by and the train fanatics are all over them. The guy who sold it to me seemed to know what most of his stuff as worth but for some reason he didn't have a clue about this.

SmokyDave

SmokyDave said:
Must. Stop. Spending. Money.
This mantra didn't work. I bought Technic Set 8865 (The awesome car chassis). Now I have my childhood dream set, I'm hoping I won't be compelled to buy any others.

I've just spent a couple of hours going through worldbricks.com, downloading all my instructions in PDF format to use on my iPad. Incredible stuff, it means I can store the originals safely. I also grabbed a few of the 80's catalogues to flick through on a lazy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom