• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

LegoLogo.png

The intent of this thread is to be a one stop shop for all LEGO related news, releases, reminiscing about your favourite sets or themes as well as showing off any of your own creations or recent or intended purchases.

What is LEGO?

Lego (trademarked in capitals as LEGO) is a line of construction toys manufactured by the Lego Group, a privately held company based in Billund, Denmark. The company's flagship product, Lego, consists of colorful interlocking plastic bricks and an accompanying array of gears, minifigures and various other parts. Lego bricks can be assembled and connected in many ways, to construct such objects as vehicles, buildings, and even working robots. Anything constructed can then be taken apart again, and the pieces used to make other objects. The toys were originally designed in the 1940s in Denmark and have achieved an international appeal, with an extensive subculture that supports Lego movies, games, video games, competitions, and four Lego themed amusement parks.
Source Article

History

The Lego Group began in the workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen (7 April 1891 – 11 March 1958), a carpenter from Billund, Denmark, who began making wooden toys in 1932. In 1934 his company came to be called "Lego", from the Danish phrase leg godt, which means "play well".
It expanded to producing plastic toys in 1947. In 1949 Lego began producing the now famous interlocking bricks, calling them "Automatic Binding Bricks". These bricks were based largely on the patent of Kiddicraft Self-Locking Bricks, which were released in the United Kingdom in 1947. Lego modified the design of the Kiddicraft brick after examining a sample given to it by the British supplier of an injection-molding machine that the company had purchased. The bricks, manufactured from cellulose acetate, were a development of traditional stackable wooden blocks that locked together by means of several round studs on top and a hollow rectangular bottom. The blocks snapped together, but not so tightly that they required extraordinary effort to be separated.
The Lego Group's motto is det bedste er ikke for godt which means 'only the best is good enough'. This motto was created by Ole Kirk to encourage his employees never to skimp on quality, a value he believed in strongly. The motto is still used within the company today. The use of plastic for toy manufacture was not highly regarded by retailers and consumers of the time. Many of the Lego Group's shipments were returned after poor sales; it was thought that plastic toys could never replace wooden ones.
By 1954 Christiansen's son Godtfred Kirk Christiansen had become the junior managing director of the Lego Group. It was his conversation with an overseas buyer that struck the idea of a toy system. Godtfred saw the immense potential in Lego bricks to become a system for creative play but the bricks still had some problems from a technical standpoint: their locking ability was limited and they were not very versatile. In 1958 the modern brick design was developed but it took another five years to find the right material for it. The modern Lego brick was patented at 1:58 p.m on January 28, 1958;bricks from that year are still compatible with current bricks.
Source Article

Theme Highlights
Below is not a full list, just the highlights over the years
City
Space
Castle
Pirates
Technic
Duplo
Fabuland
Bionicle
Games
Creator

Licensed Themes
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Spiderman
Batman
Harry Potter
Toy Story
Cars
Pirates of the Caribbean
Duplo

Glossary
Minifig or Minifigure - The official name for the little LEGO men and women.
MOC - My Own Creation, the term used in the community to describe your LEGO creations.
Stud - The name given to the little protruding round circles on the top of LEGO bricks.
AFOL - Adult Fan of LEGO
TFOL - Teenage Fan of LEGO
TLC and TLG - The LEGO Company and The Lego Group respectively.

Links
Official LEGO Site - Official Site
The Brothers Brick - Most popular LEGO blog which promotes peoples own creations.
Bricklink - The Unofficial LEGO Marketplace, the main place to go if you want to find anything from old or new sets, to individual or bulk pieces.
Peeron - An extensive catalog of pieces, sets, themes and you can even find downloadable copies of old (and new) instructions.

wetwired

I thought I'd start it off talking about a recentish addition to their line-up, Collectible Minifigs.

They're basically blind packaging bags, each containing a single minifig. Below is series 4, but series 5 is due out some time in August or late July

all.jpg

all800.jpg

Series 1 through 3 had some good unique characters like a Zombie, Crash Test Dummy, Caveman, Mexican Wrestler, Spartan Soldier, Elf, Mime, Mariachi Guy, DJ, Samurai etc.

judhudson

I need to build my Cars Lego sets...Got the small Lightning McQueen & Mater as well as the Ultimate Build Mater & Lightning McQueen. I would like to pick up Mack as well as the Flo 8 Cafe. I don't care about the Toyko stuff, I prefer items that relate back to the first movie (would love a Doc Hudson and The King someday)

DJ_Lae

I have fondest memories of the Technic and old pirate sets - and man, I really need to grab my bins of Lego from my parents' house. I think I've got six 20 gallon Rubbermaid bins full of assorted Lego, and an old metal briefcase full of the instruction manuals for everything.

I collected all the Lego where my sister collected Playmobil. I think I got the better end of that deal.

And I really, really want to pick up a bunch of those Star Wars models.

wetwired

I think the only cars one I'd get is the mack truck one, that's mainly cause the cars franchise doesn't do a lot for me.

Those minifigs are pissing me off, i just want the hockey player! I keep getting crappy ones.

I used to use the barcodes to get my sets, but now that they use almost brail-like bumps I just buy whole boxes, keep a set for myself and sell off the rest of the sets and leftovers on eBay, I usually end up paying for my own set and then some.

Though last time (Series 4) I found a guy in Denmark on Bricklink that was selling whole sets for like $37

Sqorgar

Banned
KingHenrik30 said:
Those minifigs are pissing me off, i just want the hockey player! I keep getting crappy ones.
There's a way to tell the figures apart by divots on the packaging. Do a search for it and you'll find an image of all the configurations to help cherry pick the ones you want.

Sqorgar

Banned
I am completely in awe of Heroica, and I love the micro figs. Almost makes up for the weak Castle showing these past two years. Almost.

Puddles

Banned
I used to go crazy with the Space theme.

I got into it during the M-Tron era, kept going through Blacktron II, Space Police II, Ice Planet and Spyrius. I picked up a few Unitron sets, but kinda lost interest around that time. I think my last set was one of the UFO ones.

I created a pretty epic sandbox world for those sets with lots of characters. Probably had a better story than the Bayformers movies.

Legos lost their charm for me once every face had to have some kind of stupid smirk or expression. The OG happy faces were the best, everything after that was all down hill.

wetwired

TheWiicast said:
Are there any cool unofficial lego series? Like movie scenes or video game stuff?
Yeah but you'd probably need to narrow it down, if it's a game or film chances are someone made a Lego version, though some are better than others

SmokyDave

Great idea for a thread, I'll keep my peepers on this. I'd been itching to buy some Lego for a while and recently cracked and picked up one of the 'Racers' sets. So much fun to build.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My partner and I have already envisioned how much money I am supposed to be spending to grab a few complete sets of LEGO in the near future. Part of it is for ourselves to build and play things, but also because she wants her children to grow up playing LEGO.

My wallet already looks to the future and weeps a little.

Legos were fucking expensive. I never got any of the cool, big sets. So I was one of those poor bastards with a bucket full of randoms from little sets. Which of course was awesome. I BUILT THE UNIVERSE.

Woorloog

Banned
Star Wars legos are the best... i mean the originals. EPIII was all right but the "realistic" color of minifgs is horrible. And The Clone Wars legos are just off somehow. IMO.
I should, uh, reconstruct my SW legos, i wonder how much i've spent on those.
Fucking nostalgia, i hate that feeling.

And a question: Ninjas or Pirates? Both legos exists, which one you like more? Talking about the originals... but that's just me.

Woorloog said:
Star Wars legos are the best... i mean the originals. EPIII was all right but the "realistic" color of minifgs is horrible. And The Clone Wars legos are just off somehow. IMO.
I should, uh, reconstruct my SW legos, i wonder how much i've spent on those.
Fucking nostalgia, i hate that feeling.

And a question: Ninjas or Pirates? Both legos exists, which one you like more? Talking about the originals... but that's just me.
Look here sonny, back in my day we didn't have any fancy ninjas. It was "Knights or Pirates?". And there was never a clear answer.

Maxrpg said:
6494-1.jpg

This fucker! So many memories.
OH shit! I have completely forgotten about this set, it never gets mentioned in LEGO threads for some reason.

Being a Dane, LEGO was compulsory to play with when growing up.

My best stuff was a Mario Kart circuit completely with both a castle for Ganondorf and one for Bowser, crazy stuff it filled half of the floor in my room.

wetwired

jambo said:
My next LEGO purchase will be the Masterpiece Super Star Destroyer

GxGnF.jpg

gf01M.jpg

UPRbS.jpg

I've love that but my wife would kill me and I don't know where I'd put it.

LaserBuddha said:
Look here sonny, back in my day we didn't have any fancy ninjas. It was "Knights or Pirates?". And there was never a clear answer.

Yeah Pirates had only just come out as I started growing out of lego as a kid, I only had a few smallers sets from it though, I had mainly City stuff and a few space ships. I always wanted this set though, even though I was nearly 13 or something at the time.

1682-1.jpg

I may have to buy this new one to compensate

4588130390_238d3c105a_b.jpg

I never owned as much Lego as I would have liked, but I imagine that goes for most people too.

The biggest pack I had was the Shuttle and Plane combo. The number of times that crashed into my floor...

61Nd4BvbnGL.jpg

Sqorgar said:
I am completely in awe of Heroica, and I love the micro figs. Almost makes up for the weak Castle showing these past two years. Almost.

Is Heroica out yet? I know it's supposed to launch in June, but haven't heard much about it otherwise.

glaurung

KingHenrik30 said:
I laughed.

I was standing at the checkout in a grocery store last night and spotted the fourth series mini figure bags between chewing gum and condoms right there at the conveyor belt.

I picked it up and inspected the packaging while the preceding clients paid for their goods. I then tried to reattach the bag to the hook, but since that turned out to be pretty difficult, I simply gave up and bought it.

Sure enough, I got the hockey player. Wanted the mad scientist or the biohazard guy.

wetwired

glaurung said:
I laughed.

I was standing at the checkout in a grocery store last night and spotted the fourth series mini figure bags between chewing gum and condoms right there at the conveyor belt.

I picked it up and inspected the packaging while the preceding clients paid for their goods. I then tried to reattach the bag to the hook, but since that turned out to be pretty difficult, I simply gave up and bought it.

Sure enough, I got the hockey player. Wanted the mad scientist or the biohazard guy.

The biohazard dude is one of the easiest to find by feeling the package, his big helmet is pretty recognizable by feel as it's the helmet piece and chest piece in one, so it's pretty big and has like an upside down U shape with a lump on top.

Woorloog

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
41Cxvv-W5RL._AA280_.jpg

There's a clear answer. Who the fuck likes pirates?
Hmm, maybe i should change my avatar to Lego Darth Vader.
I like Pirates more than Ninjas... but i totally forgot about Knights.
Star Wars>Knights>Pirates>Ninjas

EDIT that new shuttle is damn nice... maybe i should get it? I never got the old shuttle...
I have a soft spot for Space Legos.

Chuckie

LaserBuddha said:

Back in my days there weren't even fancy pirates. It was Knights only.

My first knights looked like this:
lego_knight.jpg

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I love me some legos but things like that LOTR set posted above don't seem very legoy to me. Maybe I need to check it out in person but just from looking at it it looks like way too many of the pieces are not legos that could be used for anything besides the tower.

every time my girlfriend and I go to the mall, I drag her to the Lego store. I always want to by something big, but I can never make up my mind!

The 90s ice planet and space sets are my favorites :)

Lego needs to do some retro sets and bring those back!

Chuckie

itwasTuesday said:
I love me some legos but things like that LOTR set posted above don't seem very legoy to me. Maybe I need to check it out in person but just from looking at it it looks like way too many of the pieces are not legos that could be used for anything besides the tower.

I sincerely doubt that considering this thing is not one you buy at a shop but build by some 'crazy' fanboy.

The thing is almost 6 feet and as far as I can see consists only of regular standard LEGO bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom