• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lion King and Aladdin Game Remasters Announced

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Today, during GameStop Con, it was revealed that remasters of The Lion King and Aladdin games are in the works, and coming to all consoles. Unfortunately, not many further details are divulged, such as specific platforms, a release date, or how robust the remasterings will be, but we do know they will include the original soundtracks and come with the Sega Genesis/SNES versions of the games. Further, they should get a proper unveiling soon, as the titles will be available to pre-order from GameStop starting tomorrow.

For those that don't know: Disney's Aladdin is a platformer from 1992 based on the animated movie of the same name. Developed by Virgin Games and Disney Software, the title released via the Sega Genesis in November 1993. Later, the game was ported to other platforms. To this date, it's one of the best-selling Genesis games ever, with an impressive four million copies sold, plus more copies sold across the NES, Game Boy, Amiga, and DOS computers.

A remaster collection including the 1993-released Aladdin game and 1994-released The Lion King game, both originally developed by Virgin Interactive for Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo Entertainment System (The Lion King-only), will be available to pre-order for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch starting August 28 at GameStop and launch this fall, the retailer announced during a presentation at the 2019 GME Conference.

Video out:

LK: Genesis/SNES/GB games included
Aladdin: Genesis/GB games included

Last edited:

Verdanth

You mean Kimba OP.

Kimba_the_White_Lion_%28Ultra_Edition_DVD_art%29.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Pass on The Lion King (personally), but I'm excited to see how they handle Aladdin. The Genesis (Virgin) and SNES (CAPCOM) versions were very different from one another and both were great games, so I'm kind of confused by this announcement. It seems to imply that the games are one and the same.

Pass on The Lion King (personally), but I'm excited to see how they handle Aladdin. The Genesis (Virgin) and SNES (CAPCOM) versions were very different from one another and both were great games, so I'm kind of confused by this announcement. It seems to imply that the games are one and the same.

They're citing only Virgin Interactive so definitely the Genesis version when it comes to Aladdin. I preferred that version to Capcom's even though it was sloppier in some ways.

Agreed with passing on Lion King, not that this collection gives that option. =P

Petrae

As someone who never saw the films or their live-action remakes, and someone who never played these games on the SNES or Genesis, I can’t muster any interest in these. I heard that the Aladdin games are decent, but when I have no connection to or affinity for the source material, I can’t be bothered to try.

Very cool for fans of the games and/or movies, though.

Saber

Gold Member
Wow, that was unexpected. Now theres hope for things like Mickey Mania and World of Illusion being remastered as well. Both great games.

If it ends well, then I will be glad to buy.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Funny as i was walking in london you had a disney popup store.
And they had Aladdin arcade cabs.

It all makes sence now 😍

dolabla

Very interested in this. I played Aladdin (Genesis) not too long ago. I haven't played Lion King since I was kid and have thought about buying it recently.

I hope they do a good job with these.

DansDans

I'm wondering if the Switch will get the SNES versions of the games (with the better soundtrack on The Lion King) and the PS4/X1 will get the Mega Drive versions

Fake

Best news today. Just give me the PC version from both and I'll be very happy.

Last edited:

Banned
Good, the SNES version of Aladdin is vastly superior! So it's neat that we get both.

I can't believe people still think the mediocre Mega Drive version is the "good" version...
just looking at who developed each game should tell you which one is better
we have Virgin on one hand and motherfucking CAPCOM on the other hand...

oh gosh I wonder who made the better game?

I think most people who are favouring the MegaDrive version have their nostalgia goggles on... it's so much worse.
the hit detection of the sword is ridiculous, the controls are clunky, the leveldesign is straight unfair at points, with blind jumps and other bullshit and the graphics are worse...

yes the sprite animation is made by Disney animators, but everything else just looks less detailed and less colourful... also good movie animation =/= good game animation... which is one of the reasons the MegaDrive version feels floaty and clunky, the aimations are obviously made by people who didn't know how to make good attack and jump animations for a videogame.
meanwhile, Capcom employees did know how to do that!

DansDans

I'm in for Aladdin, probably won't touch lion king after hearing how hard it is.

Its not hard at all - you just need to exercise a tiny bit of logic and puzzle solving to pass the often complained about 2nd level (Can't Wait to be King - seriously you just have to roar at the right monkeys in the right order) and the way to defeat Scar at the end of the game is obvious if you've seen the movie

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I'm wondering if the Switch will get the SNES versions of the games (with the better soundtrack on The Lion King) and the PS4/X1 will get the Mega Drive versions
hopefully both systems come w each game. or maybe both are sold together in a 4 game pack. i mean each game has to be, what, 3 MB? you could put every 16-bit game ever on a SD card. it is up to them how they are sold and at what price. ill likely skip out but for sure revisit them via emulators.

we had the SNES Aladdin. my friends down the street had the Genesis version, and I was super jealous at the time, cos it was really high quality animation. looking back on it, it may look better, but the level design & playability of the SNES version is superb. i find the Genesis game a little too fast as well, and the hitboxes a bit harder to deal with, but i can see why people would prefer it. The Lion King i feel like was pretty similar on both systems. depending on how much these are, i may end up just getting SNES Aladdin.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Excellent game for its time....I remember a magazine from back then calling it best title of 1994!

I love how Iago gets shot and goes CAW! at the Sega logo every time you boot the game :D

Lion King I played later and didn't impress me very much...

Last edited:

Ban Puncher

So that's why the originals recently fucked off of Steam.

Would be funny if these remasters were basically just reskins of the old games but with new live action film art assets.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
This is great news for me. I never dug into the Disney Collection because I’ve always been a 16bit man, but this one will tickle me in the right spots.

ljubomir

Its not hard at all - you just need to exercise a tiny bit of logic and puzzle solving to pass the often complained about 2nd level (Can't Wait to be King - seriously you just have to roar at the right monkeys in the right order)
Dude, we figured it out while 10 years old. I can't believe adults can seriously complain about it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Great games. The Genesis version was the superior choice IMO. Shame about the devs that made it though :(
Great news.
I disagree, I can see how disney will make this a digital only title and will pull it down from the store in a year or so
DISREGARD GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE? Hopefully Gamestop can like not die before it releases these games?

Last edited by a moderator:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Great games. The Genesis version was the superior choice IMO. Shame about the devs that made it though :(

I disagree, I can see how disney will make this a digital only title and will pull it down from the store in a year or so
DISREGARD GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE? Hopefully Gamestop can like not die before it releases these games?
inb4 Gamestop and Disney+ introduce their streaming games platform partnership

SALMORE

Awesome News ! glad that they are releasing them physically 😀 but i wish they added more games in the collection , like Toy Story & maybe Pocahontas

Now we wait for the TMNT collection

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'd like Aladdin, but Lion King is a stinker if there ever was one. Not sure why that it worth a remaster.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
World of Illusion being remastered as well
If they do this, I hope it's by the same team that did Castle of Illusion on PS360. This is one awesome remake and leagues better than the original. Also the Kirkhope interpretation of the soundtrack is amazing.

Kagey K

Banned
I always thought as a kid that the Genesis games were better. I’m excited as an adult to see if that holds true.

mango drank

As someone who never saw the films or their live-action remakes, and someone who never played these games on the SNES or Genesis, I can’t muster any interest in these. I heard that the Aladdin games are decent, but when I have no connection to or affinity for the source material, I can’t be bothered to try.

Very cool for fans of the games and/or movies, though.

Your post is hilarious, dude. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm gonna start popping into random threads like, "I have no experience with any of the IP related to this game, no opinion one way or the other about the game itself, and no intention to play it, ever. But I've heard good things, and I wish you all the best. Glory to NeoGAF."

(Just busting your balls, not trying to be a jerk)

Enjay

Banned
They probably aren't aware that the Aladdins are different games.

Kagey K

Banned
Your post is hilarious, dude. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm gonna start popping into random threads like, "I have no experience with any of the IP related to this game, no opinion one way or the other about the game itself, and no intention to play it, ever. But I've heard good things, and I wish you all the best. Glory to NeoGAF."

I’d like to know how it’s possible to not be exposed to either of these properties by accident.

I don’t believe there is a person in the world that hasn’t heard all or any of the following songs. A Whole New world, The Circle Of Life or Hakunna Mutattah (I know I spelt them wrong)

Nevermind all the parodies that have been done from these ip.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member

What do you want though? Hundreds of consecutive posts saying "Can't wait for this!". That's pretty dull. I find it far more interesting when someone isn't into something popular (as long as they're not being deliberately stupid) as I am often the same (although you get accused of being "edgy" on here for that).

I have zero interest in anything to do with Disney and I've never played Aladdin or The Lion King either - I found it interesting that someone else had a similar opinion.

I might end up playing these games - I might not - but I think it's fair to comment either way if you're interested or not.

Top Bottom