• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lion King and Aladdin Game Remasters Announced

DansDans

What is the difference between Mega Drive and SNES versions of Lion King?

Mega Drive has poorer graphics and sound quality

Anyway

"Console S" (check the video out)? What is with this stupid tradition of being to scared to name a console over 30 years old? Are they that scared that Sony/Microsoft will reject the game because of the words "Super Nintendo" written?

I'm pretty sure the main character in Gone Home mentions playing "Super Nintendo" when she was young on the PS4 version - so its not like there isnt precedent... this corporate pissing is annoying

DansDans

I hope they do something about The Lion King because it's EXTREMELY HARD. And not the balanced and fun kind.

PS: Aladdin Genesis > SNES

The Lion King isnt hard - one (repeat ONE) stage offers a slight challenge and all of a sudden its a hard game?

BTW If I've read/watched correctly, this package will include a "hand holding" mode so people can finally pass that really tough "Can't Wait to the King" level and play the rest of the game...

Last edited:

jadefire66

The Lion King isnt hard - one (repeat ONE) stage offers a slight challenge and all of a sudden its a hard game?

BTW If I've read/watched correctly, this package will include a "hand holding" mode so people can finally pass that really tough "Can't Wait to the King" level and play the rest of the game...

One stage? Are we talking about the same game here? Almost every stage in the game is some of the hardest shit in the entire console library. I googled the "Can't Wait to the King" level (didn't know it by name) - it's actually one of the easier stages; no idea why you mentioned it. I mean it's stage 2. It pales in comparison to the difficulty of the rest of them. Wait till you get to the waterfall level lol.

Last edited:

SALMORE

finished The Lion King multiple times back in the days and i don't remember it being hard ? the only frustrating part is the ostrich section in the 2nd level

sol_bad

The difference is Mega Drive version > SNES version.

lol
So they are still the same basic game. RE better graphics, if it's one thing I have noticed in terms of graphics, the SNES has better colour but a lower resolution. It's a positive and a negative. The lower resolution means you see less on screen at once and you need faster reaction time which can be bothersome. Not all but many 2D platformers I have noticed this issue with the SNES version.

TLZ

Banned
lol
So they are still the same basic game. RE better graphics, if it's one thing I have noticed in terms of graphics, the SNES has better colour but a lower resolution. It's a positive and a negative. The lower resolution means you see less on screen at once and you need faster reaction time which can be bothersome. Not all but many 2D platformers I have noticed this issue with the SNES version.
I edited my post and added a YouTube clip.

They're actually different and not just ports.

Last edited:

DansDans

One stage? Are we talking about the same game here? Almost every stage in the game is some of the hardest shit in the entire console library. I googled the "Can't Wait to the King" level (didn't know it by name) - it's actually one of the easier stages; no idea why you mentioned it. I mean it's stage 2. It pales in comparison to the difficulty of the rest of them. Wait till you get to the waterfall level lol.

Dude... finished the game was I was 13 - its not hard at all

It's the other way around.

Not for the Lion King, which was what he was asking about. I dont know anyone who prefers 10-pack a day Simba saying "cool" on the Mega Drive VS the clear sample on the SNES. Also the opening song. Also all other songs

Bankai

sol_bad said:

Also, Megadrive has higher resolution and (therefor) a bigger play-field. SNES has more colors and better music/sfx quality (the Yamaha soundchip of the Megadrive isn't very well suited for this kind of music).

Three

I can't believe people still think the mediocre Mega Drive version is the "good" version...
just looking at who developed each game should tell you which one is better
we have Virgin on one hand and motherfucking CAPCOM on the other hand...

oh gosh I wonder who made the better game?

I think most people who are favouring the MegaDrive version have their nostalgia goggles on... it's so much worse.
the hit detection of the sword is ridiculous, the controls are clunky, the leveldesign is straight unfair at points, with blind jumps and other bullshit and the graphics are worse...

yes the sprite animation is made by Disney animators, but everything else just looks less detailed and less colourful... also good movie animation =/= good game animation... which is one of the reasons the MegaDrive version feels floaty and clunky, the aimations are obviously made by people who didn't know how to make good attack and jump animations for a videogame.
meanwhile, Capcom employees did know how to do that!
Virgin made amazing games back then though. Remember Cool Spot?
I played both versions and preferred the 'genesis' one.

cireza

MegaDrive looks "HD" as always, with its higher resolution and wider display area. Also MegaDrive usually has more frames of animation, since it is more capable in this domain, and this is pretty much the case everytime in Disney games, so I would not be surprised if it was the case here as well.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

The Lion King wasn't "hard". I know, I beat it on a weekend rental as a 14 year old kid back then. It was just badly designed like most western games from the era.

Hot Take: And that includes Genesis Aladdin.

Last edited:

Fake

Music and maybe loading time. I remember at least Malu Donald having loading screen unlike the Mega Drive version.
Music different is already know.

petran79

Banned
DOS version of Aladdin and Lion King have missing sfx issues. So the Remaster would be a nice addition.
hope for an orchestral soundtrack too but it would be far fetched

Silent Duck

As someone who never saw the films or their live-action remakes, and someone who never played these games on the SNES or Genesis, I can’t muster any interest in these. I heard that the Aladdin games are decent, but when I have no connection to or affinity for the source material, I can’t be bothered to try.

Very cool for fans of the games and/or movies, though.
Your post is hilarious, dude. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I'm gonna start popping into random threads like, "I have no experience with any of the IP related to this game, no opinion one way or the other about the game itself, and no intention to play it, ever. But I've heard good things, and I wish you all the best. Glory to NeoGAF."

(Just busting your balls, not trying to be a jerk)

And now, for a dramatic re-enactment of neogaf conversation as told by History Channel.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

sol_bad

It's a real mixed bag between them.

Stage 1 and 3 look better on Mega Drive where as stage 2 looks better on SNES. Stage 1 has too much contract on the SNES.
The title screen music is better on the SNES but I like the stage music better on Mega Drive. The SNES music sounds like it missing certain frequencies and doesn't have as much going on with them instrumentally.
As for the voice samples, some sound better on Mega Drive and other on the SNES.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
The snes version isn't in this package, am I right?

A shame if so, it was far better than the shallow MD version.

shaddam

I played Aladdin on my PC as a child, never could finish it. How is the license of the game? Ducktales was delisted weeks ago after the license expired. Will this game be on PSN 10 years later?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I always thought as a kid that the Genesis games were better. I’m excited as an adult to see if that holds true.
In case of Lion King you were wrong, because it is just an uglier version of the same game.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The Genie is blue and non-binary! How DARE you question the game inclusiveness?

Its cool when they use the non-binary character as furniture! the genie does absolutely nothing in the game but act as a save point. Not a fan of important characters who represent the majority of the population be portayed as useless objects.

I don't get it, a remaster now is the old game running with some CRT filters? Or did they add animation frames? I mean, the graphics seem to be straight from the Genesis version, hopefully they will add some colors in the gradients, use real transparency where they used other tricks because of hardware limitations, save games, just like the Sonic games got in their whithead remasters.

Wonko_C

I don't get it, a remaster now is the old game running with some CRT filters? Or did they add animation frames? I mean, the graphics seem to be straight from the Genesis version, hopefully they will add some colors in the gradients, use real transparency where they used other tricks because of hardware limitations, save games, just like the Sonic games got in their whithead remasters.
They're roms slapped into an emulator, the "remaster" thing is just marketing.

Last edited:

The Snake

As someone who never saw the films or their live-action remakes, and someone who never played these games on the SNES or Genesis, I can’t muster any interest in these. I heard that the Aladdin games are decent, but when I have no connection to or affinity for the source material, I can’t be bothered to try.

Not to be a dick, but why did you click on the topic to tell us all this?

Wonko_C

I don't think it's necessary to have a connection to the source material to enjoy the games, and that applies to everything. Treat it as its own thing. I played the games back in '94 when they were new. Wanna know when I first saw the movie? April 2019, a whoppin' twenty-five years later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom