• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lost Child (PS4/Vita) coming West in 2018 through NIS America

Tohsaka

I'll probably buy it as long as it's not terrible. It flopped pretty hard in Japan though, only did like 7.1k total across PS4 and Vita first week.

Deeda

I might get the limited edition for PS4, but I'm sad there's not a limited edition for the Vita.

Shizuka

It's a shame that the Vita release will be digital-only. I'm sure NISA could've done an exclusive run sold through their store.

*looks at the Persona dance games...and crosses fingers*

Was this originally a Vita game?

It was always on both systems.

Anyone played the japanese version and care to share some impressions? Is this a hardcore DRPG?

Going from gameplay of the beginning at least, I'd say no. It seems to be fairly average in terms of difficulty, something around where Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss/Babel are at. It ain't no Dungeon Travelers or Sword City, that's for sure.

Good news, kind of disappointed about no physical vita edition, but I guess that's just going to be more and more common for the trickle of games that come over for it.

AniHawk

It's a shame that the Vita release will be digital-only. I'm sure NISA could've done an exclusive run sold through their store.

people said this for the touhou games too. and i've mentioned this in the past, but the vita is a sort of sales vampire, especially as time goes on.

takoyaki

German games magazine M!Games (formerly Maniac) reviewed The Lost Child as part of their Import Review section.

Short translated summary since there haven’t been many impressions yet on GAF:

You play as Hayato, a rookie journalist who works for a fringe magazine that covers supernatural phenomena. One assignment leads him to a subway station were he is shoved onto the train tracks and saved at the last second by a mysterious, young woman. She hands him a strange suitcase that contains a magical pistol. After a series of convoluted events, Hayato meets another young woman who claims to be an angel. The two of them enter a dungeon (called “Layer”) and suddenly have to fight and capture demons.

Dungeons consist of multiple levels, battles with normal monsters are rather easy while boss battles always demand the right strategy. One interesting aspect of the combat system: The game lets you know which characters in your party are possible targets for an enemy attack in the next turn, so you always have to think ahead and make decisions concerning elementary weaknesses and the right defense to properly shield vulnerable party members.

The Lost Child comes off as a pared-down version of SMT (angels, demons, complex story, lots of dungeons, silent protagonist) with some wasted potential. It lacks that certain something that would help differentiate it from similar games. The story starts off slow and convoluted but gets more interesting over time. The DRPG gameplay gets more and more complex the more you play and it demands a big time investment from the player. The Lost Child is a continuation of the story from El Shaddai. Enoch and Lucifel make a return and they are joined by characters and monsters - old and new- that were designed by Takeyasu Sawaki.

+battles that require the right strategy and keep you thinking
+various kinds of Astrals
+the story is interesting (but told slowly)
+returning characters from El Shaddai

-long loading times (esp. annoying inside dungeons)
-the soundtrack doesn’t stand out
-sparse graphical presentation (esp. 3D backgrounds)
-you learn skills randomly, can’t pick and choose

72/100

Top Bottom