• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The making of Castle of Illusion, Quackshot and World of Illusion by Strafefox

As usual, here's another excellent in-depth video by Strafefox, this time the video deals with some of the early Disney titles that made an appearance on the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis.

The Illusion series was an important pillar for SEGA. It offered a high quality line of family-friendly games. In this episode we discover the history and development of Castle of Illusion, Quackshot and World of Illusion as well as Fantasia

Did you play these games? If so, did you enjoy them? I did, and am very pleased we see Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion on the upcoming Mega Drive/Genesis Mini.

nush

Didn't know the backstory of Fantasia for the Megadrive, now I understand why is was so shit. Taught me a valuable lesson though to wait for reviews before buying. That's probably saved me £1000's over the years. So thanks Fantasia I guess.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Cool video. I find the idea of changing Mickey lives with tries very stupid, since that doesn't even actually happens to Donald and pretty much every game at those days use lives and it didn't actually sound dark at all. Also, I fail to see how Castle of Illusion could capture Mickey personality. Unlike Donald and Goofy, which btw both have glaring and very defined personalities, Mickey is a bunch of nothing.

But as much as the visual of CoI stands, I still rather stick with the Master System version. The game is way more charming and fun to play.

World of Illusion on the other hand is a pleaseant visually. The collors, the artwork and visuals are trully shining in this game. Is alot of fun knowing that the game has like 3 different paths for players. Standart for Mickey, one for Donald and one for Co-op. It really is something else. But I must remind the guy from the video that the co-op is far from "family" type of game. That because players both share the same tries. Which means once one spend all of them, its not only game over for him/her, but also for the lone player once he fails.

Quackshot is another interesting game I played, but it didn't catch me enough to repeat playing after I beat it. Again very stupid reasoning this "pacifist route". In case nobody kbows, Luck Dime carper can use a hammer(and discs) to defeat enemies...and they were worried about penguins? Like, Donald there pretty much defeat bears, bees, piranhas and they changed penguins to snow monsters because of this? Pathetic if you asked me.

Anyway, Lucky Dime Carper, alongside Deep Duck Trouple, is another piece of game which is fun to play.

Another honorable mention is Mickey Mania. That thing is a gem and beat both Illusion and Quackshot easly.

Great video. I think people overlook the efforts made by some devs on the Master System. SEGA's own teams and SIMS really did some wonderful work on the system and really managed to get it singing.

dirthead

Banned
Quackshot does have realy nice pixel art. They really are just simple games for kids, though. The gameplay depth isn't there in any of them.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
World of Illusion and Sonic 2 was all I needed in until Sonic 3 was released. My parents didn't really buy me many games back in the 16-bit days so yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazza

Castle of Illusion was a very important game for the system. Pre-Sonic, it needed a kid-friendly mascot platformer to compliment the other more adult/teenager games (there's a nice Al Nilsen video that I can't find right now, where he sows off the game on a TV show). The Megadrive Alex Kidd game felt a bit too 8-bit, whereas Castle of Illusion felt truly next-gen, with its colour, animation and backgrounds. It was one of the games that most blew me away, and I loved the creative levels (especially the miniature one where you could jump in the cup of tea and the glass of milk etc).

Didn't know the backstory of Fantasia for the Megadrive, now I understand why is was so shit. Taught me a valuable lesson though to wait for reviews before buying. That's probably saved me £1000's over the years. So thanks Fantasia I guess.

I had a similar experience with Fantasia, bought it "day one" on the back of Castle being so good, but was very disappointed. It was funny back then not being able to look online and see what other people thought. I was so sure that it was going to be good that I couldn't really believe what I was experiencing - I thought maybe I was just playing it wrong? After hours of gameplay I just accepted that I had bought a dud. It's a shame as you can tell it had some potential (nice graphics and animation, for a start), but it was obviously rushed and needed an extra 3-6 months development. Sega lucked out with Disney demanding it being pulled off store shelves and also compensating them.

Quackshot and World of Illusion were both welcome returns to form. Looking forward to replaying the Mickey games on the Megadrive Mini.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

If you enjoyed this, I'd encourage you to watch his other videos. He's also covered Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Streets of Rage, Link to The Past, and more.

Top Bottom