• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Man in the High Castle EP1&2 available to stream on Amazon Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

8EtStTK.png

Obviously 1 has been available for a while now but seeing episode 2 a month early is pretty cool.

Edit: Turns out it's free for everyone on the 23rd.
http://deadline.com/2015/10/man-in-the-high-castle-amazon-1201589863/
The pilot and episode 2 will be available for no-charge at http://www.amazon.com/maninthehighcastle beginning at 12 AM PST on Friday, October 23rd and ending at 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, October 25th in the U.S. and UK. Following the Preview Weekend, the show’s second episode will available exclusively to all Amazon Prime Members, prior to the season launch of all episodes on November 20th.

cirrhosis

Saw the first episode two months back and sort of want to catch the second, but yeah, think I'll wait till the rest of them hit Prime.

Phenomenal show from just the first episode from anyone still on the fence. I'm expecting good things from the rest of the season just based on that first one. Producers nailed the atmosphere from the book, plus I'm a sucker for well done alt-history.

Thanks for making the thread. I tweaked the title to hopefully garner a bit more interest. I'll try and check this out if I have time.

Ruruja

Just watched the two free episodes on Amazon. Wow, this is great so far! Might have to snaffle Prime to watch the rest in a month.

Actually, I see you can just purchase the videos part for £5.99 a month, could I do that in November and watch this with that?

Nice to see Rufus Sewell in a good role too.

Huh. Didn't expect to see Daniel Roebuck in this. I feel like I haven't seen him in anything since Nash Bridges, though IMDB says he's been in tons of stuff.

Ark

Have never even heard of the book but decided to check this out, and I'm really impressed. The first two episodes have totally sold me and I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it when it all releases in like a month[?].

Chris1

First episode was amazing but I'm gonna wait until it comes out and rewatch it all. This and Jessica Jones in the same day... god damn.

Hazanko

Banned
Wasn't going to watch it because it didn't seem to interest me. I was bored and gave it a go and it's a damn good show so far. Worth checking out. Only downside is that I want to watch more!

thenexus6

I watched the pilot a month ago? Just watched episode two and feel like something must be different at the end of episode 1 compared to the pilot. Episode 2 just started a little disconnected.

Coolluck

I will watch an episode a year. Glad I got to check out episode 2. It basically proves that I'm very interested in the world more than the story itself. Like The Martian, I'm refraining from reading the book just in case. A friend said that the pilot was already different from the book but still, I'll just wait for the season to come out now.

Absolutely lovely villain. The second episode delivered as well. Like a prostate orgasm, pleasure relentlessly reverberated throughout my body.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Absolutely lovely villain. The second episode delivered as well. Like a prostate orgasm, pleasure relentlessly reverberated throughout my body.

Holy shit this is quite the recommendation lol.

Book was right up my alley, in theory, but in actual reality I didn't enjoy it that much. Will probably give the show a go anyway, the concept is cool enough to give it another try.

jesu

I pay for Prime but don't watch much on it, looking forward to this.
Reminds me of Fatherland, might need to read that again.

Kvik

Episode 1

I like the world-building on this one. They somewhat nailed the oppressive atmosphere both in the pacific/atlantic coasts. Probably one good thing that come out of the Reich was the monorails in NYC. I like the twist at the end as well.

definitely staying for Episode 2 then.

Can someone who has read the book and watched these episodes elaborate on whether it's more interesting? The book was well reviewed and came recommended but almost sent me to sleep with characters just sitting around for ages using the I Ching or discussing it. I found the historical counterfactuals to have held up very poorly to aspects of modern scholarship and there was little redeeming in the book for me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The big problem with the Amazon pilot idea is that by the time new episodes come out, the pilot is a distant memory but I don't want to watch it again either. I'm just going to go into episode 2 and hope it all comes back.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Can someone who has read the book and watched these episodes elaborate on whether it's more interesting? The book was well reviewed and came recommended but almost sent me to sleep with characters just sitting around for ages using the I Ching or discussing it. I found the historical counterfactuals to have held up very poorly to aspects of modern scholarship and there was little redeeming in the book for me.

This is exactly how I felt, despite being a big history nerd and loving the concept.

jesu

The big problem with the Amazon pilot idea is that by the time new episodes come out, the pilot is a distant memory but I don't want to watch it again either. I'm just going to go into episode 2 and hope it all comes back.

I don't watch the pilots, I just wait until the whole thing is released, or not.

I love the book and these first 2 minutes episodes, but I suspect those that didn't like the book will like this show. There are more moving parts and its sort of doing to the book what Fuller did to Hannibal. It starts much earlier in the timeline and as such changes a lot of things up.

As for the historical counterfactuals, PKD went pretty far out there. It didn't remotely bother me because he created a world to explore his themes. He wasn't trying to do some academic exercise. The show seems more believable if that is a concern. The pilot does present some hints of something strange going on that might mean this series is not simply alternate history.

The thing I really like about PKD in general is his concepts often seem mind blowing, but they are presented as dramatic fiction written within a universe where these things do happen. His books have always seemed pretty easy to follow along. I could see how that might bore others.

As for the historical counterfactuals, PKD went pretty far out there. It didn't remotely bother me because he created a world to explore his themes. He wasn't trying to do some academic exercise. The show seems more believable if that is a concern. The pilot does present some hints of something strange going on that might mean this series is not simply alternate history.

To clarify it wasn't the stuff going on in the world per se, it was just an irritation to see how they explained the difference in the timeline with various ways that the Axis changed up what they did in real life. Usually in reference to various "mistakes that the Axis made" (as perceived by popular understandings of the war). I can't for the life of me remember what the exact one that irritated me were, I just recall being unhappy with it at the time of reading.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The book is, like nearly all PKD books, about the nature of reality and perception. The historical fiction(s) part is just window dressing. In the show the historical fiction is much more important and the 'what if' is the most significant part of the plot so far. Living in Nazi and Japanese ruled America is what is driving the plot, and we see how the world is still changing and progressing with the uneasy axis alliance. Enjoying the book or not is unlikely to be any predictor on whether you like the show or not, it's really it's own thing.

ivysaur12

Banned

I agree -- I also think they changed some things in the pilot, which is even more annoying.

Walshicus

I'm liking both despite the differences. I mean the book was written in such a way as to propose that both the Nazi reality and our 'real' reality were wrong
British Super Empire being in control of earth is the true true...
which I doubt is going to come up in the show.

There's a lot less I'Ching in the show so far too. I wonder if the creators used it in real life to determine it needed less screen time, just like PKD did with the book...

Zyzyxxz

I didn't read the book but from reading a review of the pilot by someone that did his main gripe is that while the book is more slow moving the world it created was more morally complex. In the book people have lived under Nazi rule for some time already and have adjusted to it. While in the show its much more black and white and we know who are the good guys and who are the villains. The way I see it the show makes it obvious its patriots against invaders while the book its more of who are the insurgents and are they just terrorist or do they have a just cause?

Timbuktu

Watched the pilot and the world building is really impressive. I can't say I really can about pretty and young protagonists and thought the Japanese trade minister to be the most interesting by far. I'm not sure if I'll get tired of it if the world building ever drops or if production quality falls off like the Walking Dead and become about a bunch of people in non-descript places. I would like to see more of Grasshopper, but it seems to only be our reality.... I would be really disappointed if it is some time travel or mirror universe sci fi thing is actual plot element. I can't help but feel that the show is always presenting things from our point of view, I mean as if the way things turned out is our actual history is the 'correct' way and characters here are somewhat aware of their world being the alternate version of things.

Walshicus

I'm waiting to see if they introduce Robert Childan or not. He (and the Kasouras) was my favourite character from the book; the way he mangles his own thoughts to be both impressed with, culturally assimilated by and contemptuous toward the Japanese was well written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom