• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly like Dragon Age.

And that's possible, but by not setting out from the start with trilogy in mind, that means that they can adjust as needed and are not stuck in the ways they were during the original trilogy.

I expect if Ryder is popular, they'll star in multiple games. If not, then they can pull a Hawke and move to a new protagonist that works a little better.
yeah, I guess that could work but like I said I feel like it'd result in the new protagonist(s) not feeling like they are as vital to the series as Shepard was, you know?

I'm guessing hawke was one of the main characters from the dragon age series?

diaspora

Exactly like Dragon Age.

And that's possible, but by not setting out from the start with trilogy in mind, that means that they can adjust as needed and are not stuck in the ways they were during the original trilogy.

I expect if Ryder is popular, they'll star in multiple games. If not, then they can pull a Hawke and move to a new protagonist that works a little better.
Honestly having a single protag and cast in the original ME trilogy made the galaxy feel like a really small place. Hopefully they'll increase the scope of Andromeda and use a fresh cast each time.

Honestly having a single protag and cast in the original ME trilogy made the galaxy feel like a really small place. Hopefully they'll increase the scope of Andromeda and use a fresh cast each time.
I think what really made it look like a small place is that you kept running into familiar people.

It was both.
not necessarily the shepard part. the ME trilogy made me feel like although galactic equality is everyone's right, mankind is overall the most effective and apex species that's a part of it. and shepard is the leader of a team that does what's necessary for the well being of the whole galaxy. so that part didn't make it the setting feel contained. at least not for me.

diaspora

not necessarily the shepard part. the ME trilogy made me feel like although galactic equality is everyone's right, mankind is overall the most effective and apex species that's a part of it. and shepard is the leader of a team that does what's necessary for the well being of the whole galaxy. so that part didn't make it the setting feel contained. at least not for me.
And this is some of the biggest problems that the trilogy faced. It felt painfully contrived, a galaxy with billions of humans and trillions of sapient beings and the best idea anyone could come up with after Shepard dies is to use space-bucks to bring him back. A galactic war and the only point of view we're offered is the only one that apparently made a difference. It all made the galaxy feel hugely inconsequential.

DA struggles with falling into this trap too but is more effective with world building than the ME series so far. It starts with a war and plague that consumes a minor nation forcing refugees North. These events cascades into a bunch of new stories with new characters, Hawke whose actions in Kirkwall and the Vimarks kicks off a whole series of new problems and stories in Inquisition where some Marcher scrub is deified by the people she the narrative of the game centers around how there's nothing truely special about you.

And this is some of the biggest problems that the trilogy faced. It felt painfully contrived, a galaxy with billions of humans and trillions of sapient beings and the best idea anyone could come up with after Shepard dies is to use space-bucks to bring him back. A galactic war and the only point of view we're offered is the only one that apparently made a difference. It all made the galaxy feel hugely inconsequential.
Well he was brought back because of what was going on. And at that time the council didn't want to acknowledge the imminent threat. By Me3, shepard wasn't raging at them like he should've so I felt like their negligence is what felt hugely consequential.

DA struggles with falling into this trap too but is more effective with world building than the ME series so far. It starts with a war and plague that consumes a minor nation forcing refugees North. These events cascades into a bunch of new stories with new characters, Hawke whose actions in Kirkwall and the Vimarks kicks off a whole series of new problems and stories in Inquisition where some Marcher scrub is deified by the people she the narrative of the game centers around how there's nothing truely special about you.
I can't really comment on this coz I've only played da3, and just a little bit of it. It was a cool game when I played it but I just couldn't get into it.

diaspora

Well he was brought back because of what was going on. And at that time the council didn't want to acknowledge the imminent threat. By Me3, shepard wasn't raging at them like he should've so I felt like their negligence is what felt hugely consequential.

I can't really comment on this coz I've only played da3, and just a little bit of it. It was a cool game when I played it but I just couldn't get into it.
He was brought back because evidently in a galaxy of trillions, spending billions of spacebucks on a literal christ resurrection was the best idea. It felt cheap.

Incidentally, spacing out the timeline between games in decades or even centuries while using new characters would allow for more creative freedom between each title. A story that takes place over the course of decades/centuries while exploring different casts of characters in each story would vastly help increase the size and scope of the overarching narrative.

Edit: this is part of what made KOTOR possible isn't it? So far removed from the OT/PT films they had the freedom to do whatever the hell they wanted. Obsidian's take on KOTOR2 was in part effective because as a new character, Revan's actions and story could be contextualized in a whole new light.

He was brought back because evidently in a galaxy of trillions, spending billions of spacebucks on a literal christ resurrection was the best idea. It felt cheap.
Because literally no one else was doing anything about it man! Not only that but by the time the events of Me2 unfolded, Shepard probably already became a living legend coz of the battle of the citadel.

Incidentally, spacing out the timeline between games in decades or even centuries while using new characters would allow for more creative freedom between each title. A story that takes place over the course of decades/centuries while exploring different casts of characters in each story would vastly help increase the size and scope of the overarching narrative.
perhaps. i'm not entirely opposed to this idea but i'll have to see how it goes, whatever the fuck it is that they have planned for Me4+

diaspora

Because literally no one else was doing anything about it man! Not only that but by the time the events of Me2 unfolded, Shepard probably already became a living legend coz of the battle of the citadel.

perhaps. i'm not entirely opposed to this idea but i'll have to see how it goes, whatever the fuck it is that they have planned for Me4+
But that's not even true. The alliance was, and nobody actually knows what the covert operations of other governments were doing.

But that's not even true. The alliance was, and nobody actually knows what the covert operations of other governments were doing.
I don't know if that's entirely true though. All we saw was that bit on horizon and whatever they had planned, if anything at all, wasn't very effective.

diaspora

I don't know if that's entirely true though. All we saw was that bit on horizon and whatever they had planned, if anything at all, wasn't very effective.
No, the alliance were running missions to take down the collectors and acquired the data to do it.

The main thing is that by using the same character over multiple titles we lose the ability to view the the world through a variety of diverse contexts. KOTOR showed us the galaxy through Revan's eyes, it showed us the story and narrative through the view of the big powerful hero and leader. KOTOR2 contextualized the world through the eyes of Revan's general, someone who wasn't one of the big epic heroes. It was viewing the events of the narrative as someone who was a participant in Revan's story/game, someone who'd offer a different take on what they did and who they were.

No, the alliance were running missions to take down the collectors and acquired the data to do it.

The main thing is that by using the same character over multiple titles we lose the ability to view the the world through a variety of diverse contexts. KOTOR showed us the galaxy through Revan's eyes, it showed us the story and narrative through the view of the big powerful hero and leader. KOTOR2 contextualized the world through the eyes of Revan's general, someone who wasn't one of the big epic heroes. It was viewing the events of the narrative as someone who was a participant in Revan's story/game, someone who'd offer a different take on what they did and who they were.
I think whatever vega's team was doing was also alliance's attempt at taking down the collector's. i'll give you that, but I still don't agree that shepard's resurrection made the galaxy feel small

Edit: this is part of what made KOTOR possible isn't it? So far removed from the OT/PT films they had the freedom to do whatever the hell they wanted. Obsidian's take on KOTOR2 was in part effective because as a new character, Revan's actions and story could be contextualized in a whole new light.

A new cast of characters (or mostly new) in each game could work, but I feel like you're taking the concept too far. A gap of decades/centuries wouldn't recontextualize the character's actions, it would bury them. You might as well invent a whole new setting each game.

And scope isn't everything. People complain about repeated appearances making the universe "feel small," but to a lot of people those familiar elements are part of why they keep coming back. Sure, they could have come up with a whole new crew for ME2 and 3, but I really liked having Tali and Garrus stick around. And even in a galaxy of billions, it's possible for one person to stand out, to be important; if it's not, then why bother playing as that person at all?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have no idea how huge the ship that went to Andromeda is, but unless it's a gigantic thing the size of the Citadel, I wonder what excuse Bioware will make on why we will (most probably) see a lot of human NPCs across that foreign galaxy.

I somehow have a hard time to believe that the only humans we'll see will be the ones in your crew(squadmate or not). But eh... maybe Bioware will surprise me.
Or create another alien race that look extremely close to humans like Asaris. Except this time, they'll have red skin and horns in their back!

diaspora

I think whatever vega's team was doing was also alliance's attempt at taking down the collector's. i'll give you that, but I still don't agree that shepard's resurrection made the galaxy feel small
What it comes down to for me is that a series- and this includes the trilogy, can be more interesting when contextualizing the stories of the previous games through the eyes of new and different characters. Going from DAO to DA2 (which had unrelated issues) you got to play the game as a Warden and build your own mythos. DA2 let's you view the events and mythos surrounding the Warden through the eyes of a refugee and you can see how the actual experience of the story differs from how someone else entirely would view it. This I think, at least allows for fundamentally stronger world building than a static paradigm through a single character.

Edit: I bring up KOTOR and KOTOR2 a lot but I think it's a good example of how lore and world building are strengthened by being able to view the narrative through different points of view. Neither game would be as great without each other.

What it comes down to for me is that a series- and this includes the trilogy, can be more interesting when contextualizing the stories of the previous games through the eyes of new and different characters. Going from DAO to DA2 (which had unrelated issues) you got to play the game as a Warden and build your own mythos. DA2 let's you view the events and mythos surrounding the Warden through the eyes of a refugee and you can see how the actual experience of the story differs from how someone else entirely would view it. This I think, at least allows for fundamentally stronger world building than a static paradigm through a single character.
I'm not opposed to the idea (I guess I just need to actually have it happen to see how I feel about it though) but I think Poodlestrike's got a point. and dragon age has always been that way, if ME switches it up there's no guarantee the transition will be as smooth if they stretch it out as much as you say they should.

diaspora

I'm not opposed to the idea (I guess I just need to actually have it happen to see how I feel about it though) but I think Poodlestrike's got a point. and dragon age has always been that way, if ME switches it up there's no guarantee the transition will be as smooth if they stretch it out as much as you say they should.
Of course shit could go sideways if they make the attempt but all they need to do then is clone Weekes.

Edit: I only used decades/centuries so BSN wouldn't be spammed with threads demanding any particular protag's return.

diaspora

Hm..so ME had a main writer but had others do certain different missions and stuff?

Well, the writing AFAIK is done in a team, it'd be nuts for a one of two people do all of the writing right? He did Tali, Jack, Mordin, and the Rannoch and Tuchanka story arcs. Probably more too but that's just what I know of.

Well, the writing AFAIK is done in a team, it'd be nuts for a one of two people do all of the writing right? He did Tali, Jack, Mordin, and the Rannoch and Tuchanka story arcs. Probably more too but that's just what I know of.
do you mean for a game like ME or for any video game's writing staff?

also...i'm guessing it was a joke when you said they should clone him? what did you really mean?

Bisnic

wtf? you said that was the joke, so what do you actually mean?

That Weekes is a good writer, but focused on DA right now, so cloning him to work on ME and fix potential issues would be nice? I mean, what's not to understand? I'm not sure what kind of joke you were expecting, it's not a "haha so funny!" kind of joke obviously lol.

That Weekes is a good writer, but focused on DA right now, so cloning him to work on ME and fix potential issues would be nice? I mean, what's not to understand? I'm not sure what kind of joke you were expecting, it's not a "haha so funny!" kind of joke obviously lol.
I got the joke. I'm trying to move passed it now and asking what he practically means, if he had a serious answer at all. If not (and the whole thing was just a joke) then whatever. That's that.

DirtyCase

When talking about cloning in real life one can assume it's a joke. He was just making it know he respects that particular writer in a joking manner, no need to get upset.

My biggest concern with ME Andromeda is that it borrows gameplay elements too heavily from DA Inquisition. Inquisition was the first Bioware rpg I did not finish since I can remember (ever?), it just felt too monotonous and a little bit shoe horned. I may sound like a hypocrite but I really enjoyed going around to all the diffetent planets in Mass Effect 1 possibly because of the cool sky boxes, music and the fact that they were entirely optional. In DA Inquisition I felt like I was missing out when ever I skipped side quests, which I tended to do more and more until finally I just stopped playing it.

AlStrong

lol this page...

do you mean for a game like ME or for any video game's writing staff?

Likely for any game with this many side characters. Just have a peek at the writers credits.

e.g. ME3 IMDB page lists 10 folks under writing. Witcher 3 had 5 people in the credits. etc.

diaspora

When talking about cloning in real life one can assume it's a joke. He was just making it know he respects that particular writer in a joking manner, no need to get upset.

My biggest concern with ME Andromeda is that it borrows gameplay elements too heavily from DA Inquisition. Inquisition was the first Bioware rpg I did not finish since I can remember (ever?), it just felt too monotonous and a little bit shoe horned. I may sound like a hypocrite but I really enjoyed going around to all the diffetent planets in Mass Effect 1 possibly because of the cool sky boxes, music and the fact that they were entirely optional. In DA Inquisition I felt like I was missing out when ever I skipped side quests, which I tended to do more and more until finally I just stopped playing it.

It depends on the gameplay elements. The armor system is IMO fucking excellent.

I wasn't getting upset if that's what it seemed like, just annoyed. After we established that the cloning thing was a joke, I just wanted to know if he meant anything at all when diaspora said "if shit goes side ways, then x..." but if he didn't mean anything it's all good.

Likely for any game with this many side characters. Just have a peek at the writers credits.

e.g. ME3 IMDB page lists 10 folks under writing. Witcher 3 had 5 people in the credits. etc.
damn, that's crazy. i'm only a bit surprised because i remember that horizon zero dawn, sony's new rpg IP, is written by one guy, same guy who wrote one of the fallout games iirc

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Honestly, when they start revealing stuff I may have to start avoiding this thread. I think I want to go into Andromeda semi-blind, similar to the way I went into ME2 and ME3.
Yeah, same here. I'm more curious than excited for ME:A.

Plus, you know the second anything major is revealed Shinobi will start a new thread in the main forum.

Mindlog

An informal community poll might not be a bad idea before stuff starts being officially revealed.
Would we want to keep spoilers out of this thread as much as possible and leave that stuff in their respective threads in Gaming? I'd have no problem with spoiler free discussion.

DirtyCase

Yeah, same here. I'm more curious than excited for ME:A.

Plus, you know the second anything major is revealed Shinobi will start a new thread in the main forum.

Too true, we can always count on based Shinobi.

When do we think this game is going to come out? Tentatively the release date says Christmas 2016, however Im not so sure we will even see this before first half of 2017

Lucreto

When do we think this game is going to come out? Tentatively the release date says Christmas 2016, however Im not so sure we will even see this before first half of 2017

I hope it is out November this year. Since there is no Assassin's Creed this year it has left the while month free for me.

There are no major titles been announced yet that are out in that timeframe I am interested in.

Playing the PC version of ME1 with the controller mod and the ultimate texture mod is great so far. After playing it so many times on both the 360 and XB1, it's pretty amazing seeing these high res textures. It's awesome that modders are basically able to "remaster" the game.

So... I hope Nintendo finances a trilogy remaster for the NX to coincide with Andromeda...

Not gonna happen, but that's really the very last possibility of getting one any time soon...

It's not going to happen.

Patryn

So... I hope Nintendo finances a trilogy remaster for the NX to coincide with Andromeda...

Not gonna happen, but that's really the very last possibility of getting one any time soon...

It's not going to happen.

Andromeda will be out before the NX, and if they're just talking about it now it's too late.

diaspora

They promised investors no later than March 2017 iirc, so that's either holiday this year or early next.

If I bought the DLC for 360, is there some way to tie it to my Bioware account and get it for PC as well?

Playing the PC version of ME1 with the controller mod and the ultimate texture mod is great so far. After playing it so many times on both the 360 and XB1, it's pretty amazing seeing these high res textures. It's awesome that modders are basically able to "remaster" the game.
I'm right there with you. Showing this game to my wife. We're playing it on the TV through Steam Link. She's digging it so far. Shepard just became a Spectre :)

Patryn

If I bought the DLC for 360, is there some way to tie it to my Bioware account and get it for PC as well?

No.

DLC bought for one platform does not carry over to other platforms. It's similar to how you can't buy the DLC for the 360 and get it for PS3. Or games, for that matter, generally.

Bisnic

You know you've played the trilogy too much, too many times, when your girlfriend who haven't played the games, and barely watch me play it(and the only reason is because her computer is right next to mine), know about Shepard, Wrex, Miranda, etc.

She even does the "Shepard." quote sometimes, whenever we hear that name, Mass Effect related or not. lol

They promised investors no later than March 2017 iirc, so that's either holiday this year or early next.
everybody keeps saying it's gonna get delayed but has there been any hint of that or is it just going by the history of this series and how the last two games just got delayed?

diaspora

everybody keeps saying it's gonna get delayed but has there been any hint of that or is it just going by the history of this series and how the last two games just got delayed?

No. IIRC EA mentioning March 2017 was so that they don't get fucked over if they don't hit their holiday target. It's just a buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom