• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Nikus

Like I said, I avoid Dragon Age threads because because I understand that. Talk all the Dragon Age spoilers in Dragon Age threads, but I shouldn't have to avoid a Mass Effect thread to avoid Dragon Age spoilers. If that's the way people feel though, I'll just unsub this thread. What a shame.

Sorry man, I also talked about DA:Origins without spoilers tag. I feel bad because I've myself been spoiled twice about Dragon Age in Mass Effect threads :/
Forget about this and play the first one !

Big Nikus

I'm not in the US and my spoken english is terrible. I love to listen to my fellow gaffers entries though. Some of them are crazy good.

Patryn

I honestly hate the voice acting contest and everything about it.

Having a contest related to an upcoming game is cool, sure, but every time a show/game/whatever has a contest for audience participation, it sucks.

All this contest means it that there will be at least one subpar NPC that would have been improved by having a professional do the job, and the game will be just the minutest bit lesser for that fact.

Give fans as much free shit as you want. Bring them out for studio tours! But this is a bridge too far for me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Having a contest related to an upcoming game is cool, sure, but every time a show/game/whatever has a contest for audience participation, it sucks.

All this contest means it that there will be at least one subpar NPC that would have been improved by having a professional do the job, and the game will be just the minutest bit lesser for that fact.

Give fans as much free shit as you want. Bring them out for studio tours! But this is a bridge too far for me.

That seems like a ridiculous thing to hate about. I mean,.. it's called a contest, obviously they're going to pick someone who they think is very good, and the actual recording is going to be done with the help of professionals, so they're going to include it in the game when they think it's good enough like the rest of the voice acting. Plus, it's probably just one or two minor npcs in a very small part of the game, who cares?

Patryn

That seems like a ridiculous thing to hate about. I mean,.. it's called a contest, obviously they're going to pick someone who they think is very good, and the actual recording is going to be done with the help of professionals, so they're going to include it in the game when they think it's good enough like the rest of the voice acting. Plus, it's probably just one or two minor npcs in a very small part of the game, who cares?

I will. Every time I encounter those NPCs I will likely cringe.

Big Nikus

Err, most likely, you won't be able to tell which ones they are. Except if you look it up beforehand or if you learn the contest part by heart just so you can cringe when you hear it in the game (regardless of the quality of the acting).

I think it's a nice gesture and surely there'll be some voice acting that's up to par in all the submissions? And let's be honest, a lot of the smaller parts in these games aren't all that special even when professionals do it. I cringed at plenty of barkeeps, courtesans, servants, thugs and guards in every RPG I ever played.

The only niggle I have is that it's only for the native English speakers (obviously)... would be nice to contribute something without that requirement.

This seems a little over the top to me. They're not looking for a professional for these small NPCs because this isn't about voice direction or tone or any such thing, they're simply looking for the right voice to fit the character. There's a difference.

The VO director at the studio will decide the tone and inflection of the lines...there's already been some fantastic recordings in that thread.

There have been plenty of cringey VO from "professional" voice actors in the past.

Patryn

This seems a little over the top to me. They're not looking for a professional for these small NPCs because this isn't about voice direction or tone or any such thing, they're simply looking for the right voice to fit the character. There's a difference.

The VO director at the studio will decide the tone and inflection of the lines...there's already been some fantastic recordings in that thread.

There have been plenty of cringey VO from "professional" voice actors in the past.

What can I say? It's a pet peeve of mine, and I remain skeptical. However, you might all be right and I might be being overly pessimistic.

Sou Da

That's ridiculous, the winners of the DAI contest were indistinguishable from the other pro VAs. For a game like this, this is the perfect way to do community participation.

tumblr_mljed1ou4G1ruc976o4_500.jpg

Patryn

I see your Allers and raise you:

That's just bad writing.

And I need to stop focusing on the negative, but I really do think ME3 is a great game. There are just a few glaring elements that are so bad.

Hopefully, the amount of time that's been given to Andromeda will allow it to fully bake in a way that none of the previous ME games have (with ME3 the most egregious example).

Going back and really looking at the trailer, Andromeda really is looking gorgeous.

DevilDog

The main narrative post ME1 hurts my brain. Who the hell decided to bring in these space ninjas and IGN interviewers into our grounded sci-fi?

That's just bad writing.

And I need to stop focusing on the negative, but I really do think ME3 is a great game. There are just a few glaring elements that are so bad.

Hopefully, the amount of time that's been given to Andromeda will allow it to fully bake in a way that none of the previous ME games have (with ME3 the most egregious example).

Going back and really looking at the trailer, Andromeda really is looking gorgeous.

Every Mass Effect game has ''really bad'' elements but what happened in ME3 with that Jessica Chobot was baffling.
There is just too much quality control with characters in bioware to convince me that the team was OK or ''excited'' or ''loved' her being in the game. I wonder who made that decision to include her.
Maybe the marketing department?

Bisnic

Maybe someone, somewhere, at EA, though that adding a website gaming "figure" in a game would give it some more sales, interest, or whatever.

Thing is, they never thought that gamers actually don't care about this kind of shit, especially when it's someone as forgettable as Chobot.

That or IGN had a lot of money to waste and they decided to throw it at EA while begging "please please, add someone from our team in your game!".

Patryn

Honestly I find it slightly distasteful any time this happens, and I say that as a big fan of Giant Bomb and Dan Ryckert, who has made appearances in a couple games.

That's just something really unsavory about the whole process. The Chobot thing was just the most extreme case, and the most annoying given that the lore already had a character that would have been an absolutely perfect fit for the same role in Emily Wong, who instead got unceremoniously killed off on Twitter.

Meowster

Never played past the first couple of missions on the original Mass Effect despite playing (and beating) the two sequels. Decided to pick up the trilogy for the PS3 and have a full playthrough before Andromeda comes out. Having fun so far. Just beat Virmire
and sacrificed Ashley but managed to save Wrex
. I can see why a lot of people prefer this style of gameplay over the more cinematic shooter aspects of 2 and 3. It feels very KOTOR-ish, which is refreshing. The plot is really decent here but I just don't like these characters as much as the ones from Mass Effect 2.

DevilDog

Never played past the first couple of missions on the original Mass Effect despite playing (and beating) the two sequels. Decided to pick up the trilogy for the PS3 and have a full playthrough before Andromeda comes out. Having fun so far. Just beat Virmire
and sacrificed Ashley but managed to save Wrex
. I can see why a lot of people prefer this style of gameplay over the more cinematic shooter aspects of 2 and 3. It feels very KOTOR-ish, which is refreshing. The plot is really decent here but I just don't like these characters as much as the ones from Mass Effect 2.

This is the last great plot from Bioware. Easily the best I've ever seen. I have to agree about the characters, the animations/dialogue is just more interesting in the sequels.

Except Wrex, Saren, anderson, Liara and
Sovereign

Patryn

Some portraits Bioware posted.

Given that I can identify Ryder and the mystery Asari that is a squadmember, possible the Salarian and Krogan are also squadmates?

Regardless, appears to be confirmation that we'll be seeing both races in Andromeda. (OR NOT, see below)

EDIT: Possible this is just fan stuff? I'm not sure...

Bisnic

Can someone please repost that config command you can enter in ME1 on PC to speed up everything? I'd love for things like walking and elevators to not take so damn long.

DevilDog

Can someone please repost that config command you can enter in ME1 on PC to speed up everything? I'd love for things like walking and elevators to not take so damn long.

There is a mod that halves the elevator timings, just enough to make the dialogue between teammates play normally.

is everyone cool with the whole brother/sister/ryder thing?

if i understand it you play as male ryder and make decisions with him and sister is unaffected & same the other way around?

Patryn

if i understand it you play as male ryder and make decisions with him and sister is unaffected & same the other way around?

We know absolutely nothing about how it will work, how you will make decisions, what the dialogue system is like, what the progression system is like, what pretty much most systems are like.

All we know is that they are siblings and they are both in the game.

AFAIK, nobody really has any issues with it inherently.

Nobody knows yet. I don't think the in-game dynamic or lack thereof has been explained yet.
Ok. At first I thought it was kinda weird that they were doing that, but now I am thinking that it can be interesting.
We know absolutely nothing about how it will work, how you will make decisions, what the dialogue system is like, what the progression system is like, what pretty much most systems are like.

I guess we'll find all we need to know out on n7 this year, yeah?

i'll wear that hoody to work that day too.

Pretty much this. I have no issues with the character having as sibling, and since that's all we know...

Mediking

You WILL end up playing as the opposite sibling in some form.

Or the sibling will be used as a cool plot device.

Yeul

siblings in your party is one thing, but you being one sibling or the other depending on what you choose is another. that's what Me4 is doing.

It was depending on what you chose. You either played a male or female Hawke but rather than the gender of your sibling being determined by you being male or female, it was dependent upon which class you chose. (i.e. mage, warrior, rogue). So, if you played a warrior, you'd have a mage sister.

It was depending on what you chose. You either played a male or female Hawke but rather than the gender of your sibling being determined by you being male or female, it was dependent upon which class you chose. (i.e. mage, warrior, rogue). So, if you played a warrior, you'd have a mage sister.

interesting. i forgot about the whole class shit in ME games. so then it is kinda the same thing right? you are hawke, and you have a sibling. depending on your class, you either have a brother or a sister.

the difference in Me4 is that it is either male or female regardless of class, it's always gonna be a brother and sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom