• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix Box Set!!! DVD Details And Release Date Inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leguna

Banned
B0002Y69NG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Ultimate Matrix Collection

RELEASE DATE: Decemeber 7

PRICE: $55.94

DVD BOX SET DETAILS:
Disc 1: The Matrix
New digital transfer
A written introduction by the Wachowski Brothers
2 new commentaries by philosophers and critics
ROM feature

Disc 2: The Matrix Revisited
A feature-length mind-expanding look at The Matrix from conception to phenomenon
17 behind-the-scenes and making-of featurettes
Music-only audio track

Disc 3: The Matrix Reloaded
New digital transfer
ROM feature

Disc 4: The Matrix Reloaded Revisited
Go to the second chapter's furthest reaches
21 behind-the-scenes and making-of featurettes
23 extra scenes shot for Enter the Matrix video game

Disc 5: The Matrix Revolutions
ROM feature

Disc 6: The Matrix Revolutions Revisited
The cataclysmic final confrontation is chronicled
29 behind-the-scenes and making-of featurettes

Disc 7: The Animatrix
9 short films from pioneering anime directors exploring the world of The Matrix

Disc 8: The Roots of the Matrix
Cinematic, historical, philosophical and technological inspirations are explored
2 insightful new documentaries

Disc 9: The Burly Man Chronicles
Probe the society of actors, craftspeople, and filmmakers who shaped the movie trilogy and Enter the Matrix video game
21 featurettes

Disc 10: The Zion Archive
Production assets developed for The Matrix Universe
Concept artwork
Storyboards
Drawings
Music videos
TV spots and trailers
Number of discs: 10

Here's the source of my info:
Amazon.com's Ultimate Matrix Collection Page

Ristamar

While I wouldn't mind having a Matrix box set, I don't know if want 10 discs worth. Bleah.

Pochacco said:
Too bad it includes Revolutions - that movie really sucked.

Wait, wait, wait... I thought everyone agreed that Reloaded was the sucky one, and Revolutions was sucky, but not quite as sucky.

Prospero

Number of discs: 10

And only discs 1 and 7 are worth a damn.

Though I do want to hear those commentary tracks--between the bullshitting "philosophers" on one track and the haters on the other, they'll be a laugh a minute. Maybe I'll buy it and eBay it when I'm done.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
umm....

a) I call shenanigans on those screen caps... seriously.. the matrix was reference quality when it was released on DVD and those pics are shit... I'm taking the same screen caps when I get home and posting them for a real comparison.

b) so basically if we have Matrix and Animatrix, we can pass on this..... :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
borghe said:
b) so basically if we have Matrix and Animatrix, we can pass on this..... :lol
Yeah pretty much.

The whole "commentary by philosophers" business makes me want to bury my fist in somebody's face. :lol

Dujour

Banned
Wasn't the tinted look of the "in-matrix" shots done intentionally? I thought that was always cool, but now they're clearing them up? That bites.

XS+

Banned
DeadStar said:
First movie looks so much better now
Dunno about that, but it looks a lot like the sequels (meh, I liked the pea-soup green tint of the first flick)

After watching Dark City, I, Robot and Matrix 1, it's crazy how much M1 resembles a Proyas-directed movie. The Matrix sequels and Bound are totally different.

EDIT: Everybody has their reason to hate the Matrix sequels, so here's mine: M1 was perfectly edited and to-the-point, and M2/M3 was too drawn out with its 10-20 minute action and rave sex scenes. A severely edited 3 hour Matrix sequel (rated PG-13, because, well, that's the rating the Matrix trilogy deserves) would have worked better, and still would have grossed the same BO amount M2 and M3 pulled combined.

Phoenix

Ristamar said:
While I wouldn't mind having a Matrix box set, I don't know if want 10 discs worth. Bleah.

Wait, wait, wait... I thought everyone agreed that Reloaded was the sucky one, and Revolutions was sucky, but not quite as sucky.

Right. Revolutions was at least watchable whereas Reloaded was as if they let loose some fanboys on the set, running around trying to look cool all the time :)

Is the first Matrix being released seperately?

Because I really want it for the new digital transfer. It looks waaaaay better now.

Jim Bowie

I don't like the remaster. I thought the green filter gave The Matrix some mad style.

I would consider the boxset if I didn't already buy the movies.

I think the remaster IS how the movie looked like in theaters though.

I remember thinking the DVD transfer back in 1999 seemed really "muddy" compared to the theaterical version.

You have to remember with the original Matrix DVD they squeezed some pretty lengthy extra features/docs right onto the main disc, that probably ended up compromising picture quality considerably.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Ristamar said:
Reloaded was great.
The freeway action scene made the movie watchable in itself!
The only problem with Reloaded was that it brought up way too many confusing questions at the end...
....and Revolutions didn't answer any of them clearly. Hence, Revolutions is to blame.

Jim Bowie said:
I don't like the remaster. I thought the green filter gave The Matrix some mad style.

It's still obviously using a green filter, just not a pea-green one. The DVD IGN article says just as much, but really, all you need to do is look at the images.

Incidentally, the "special edition" set looks terrible.

EDIT: Everybody has their reason to hate the Matrix sequels, so here's mine: M1 was perfectly edited and to-the-point, and M2/M3 was too drawn out with its 10-20 minute action and rave sex scenes. A severely edited 3 hour Matrix sequel (rated PG-13, because, well, that's the rating the Matrix trilogy deserves) would have worked better, and still would have grossed the same BO amount M2 and M3 pulled combined.

I agree a recut would have helped (some of the ETM footage would have helped too) but it still would need a workable final fight and ending (...this makes me think I'm talking about Halo 2 here...) The final fight could theoretically be recut into something good, but it would take something else entirely to save the ending.

Jim Bowie

Crazymoogle said:
It's still obviously using a green filter, just not a pea-green one. The DVD IGN article says just as much, but really, all you need to do is look at the images.

Well, yeah. By "the green filter", I meant the green filter that they used. Now it's just sort of green. Like, nigh-transparent green. I like the deeper green.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Here's why Reloaded and Revolutions aren't ass good as The Matrix. The fights are meaningless.

Go watch The Matrix. Every fight scene in the movie has a specific reason for it happening.

That is not the case in the sequels, and some people say it's because the Brothers lost producer Barrie Osborne to the LOTR trilogy (he was on The Matrix, but not the sequels). Those people say that he was the voice of reason to Silver's "Explosions! Explosions!" mentality of what makes a good action movie.

Phoenix

ManaByte said:
Here's why Reloaded and Revolutions aren't ass good as The Matrix. The fights are meaningless.

Go watch The Matrix. Every fight scene in the movie has a specific reason for it happening.

That is not the case in the sequels, and some people say it's because the Brothers lost producer Barrie Osborne to the LOTR trilogy (he was on The Matrix, but not the sequels). Those people say that he was the voice of reason to Silver's "Explosions! Explosions!" mentality of what makes a good action movie.

Yes... original movie was masterful in doing a lot within a believable scope of realistic opposition. The second 2 movies went so over the top that the action was so gratuitious and self indulging that it became insultingly stupid.... kinda like T3.

Ristamar

Pochacco said:
Reloaded was great.
The freeway action scene made the movie watchable in itself!
The only problem with Reloaded was that it brought up way too many confusing questions at the end...
....and Revolutions didn't answer any of them clearly. Hence, Revolutions is to blame.

But Revolutions didn't have the mind numbing, never ending Burly Brawl.

Regardless, Mana basically echoed my exact feelings on the series.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ristamar said:
But Revolutions didn't have the mind numbing, never ending Burly Brawl.

I love that fight... but I tried to watch Reloaded 3 times with the missus and each time she feel asleep during the fight. Aftewards she would always say it was just too much, just too draining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom