• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Media still think the Wii U is the Wii?

Dinjooh

Well yeah, you see the media calling ps4, playstation and xbox one, xbox too.
I don't think there's any confusion anymore

There most definitely is. I bought my first Wii U game at retail only a couple of days ago (Super Mario 3D World)

Cashier: You do know this is a Wii U game and not a Wii game, right?
Me: Yes
Cashier: It won't play on a Wii
Me: I know
Cashier: Good good, cause we've had a lot of returns on this.
Me: *Shrugs*
Cashier: So.. Insurance?

StuBurns

Banned
It's not that they don't know, they just don't see it as a meaningful distinction to make.

If the iPhone 6 bombed, it would just say iPhone too.

Forkball

Those specific media outlets are foolish for not doing (very little) homework, but the confusion is 100% Nintendo's fault.

1. Debuted Wii U at E3 only showing the gamepad (a pic of the console was hidden away on the official site) thus starting the confusion
2. Wii U logo is terrible. A lot of people probably wouldn't even know the symbol next to Wii is supposed to be a U, nor what it denotes.
3. Having no real games from Nintendo that showcases the jump in power. Yeah, obviously NSMBU looks better than NSMBWii, but for your random person I bet they could hardly tell the difference.
4. The name U is so ambiguous. Sony aren't exactly the pioneers of console naming, but at least you knew PS4 was the next one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So 95 million people think Wii U is merely a pad controller upgrade to their existing Wii, yet aren't bothering to buy one.

Nikodemos

The blame falls squarely on Nintendo and their marketing team.
One moment of laziness = four years of pain. They could've went for a similarly shitty name (GameTab?), and it would've been better (at least it wouldn't have caused considerable confusion among Nintendo's previous audience, the casuals, who aren't tech-savvy in the classical sense).

95 million people ain't using their Wii anymore.
<avatarquote>

jimi_dini

There most definitely is. I bought my first Wii U game at retail only a couple of days ago (Super Mario 3D World)

You should have returned to the store 5 minutes later and say: "This fucking game doesn't play on my fucking Wii. I want to return it".

kiguel182

There is a reason some stores have warnings close to Wii U games that they don't work on the wii. The confusion exists.

GameStop? I swear I've had the exact same conversation with an employee there before. Sad but true.

Massa

I don't see it as any different than the media referring to the Xbox One as "the Xbox" or the PS4 as "the Playstation". That doesn't mean people think the Wii U is the Wii, and from what I can see in the very blurred picture it's definitely not the case here.

liger05

I don't see it as any different than the media referring to the Xbox One as "the Xbox" or the PS4 as "the Playstation". That doesn't mean people think the Wii U is the Wii, and from what I can see in the very blurred picture it's definitely not the case here.

But people clearly do as highlighted by the poster who spoke of his experience buying a game.

Terrified

Company: Sony. Brand: Playstation. History: Playstation, Playstation 2, PSP (Playstation Portable), Playstation 3, Playstation Vita, Playstation 4

Company: Microsoft. Brand: Xbox. History: Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One

Company: Apple. Brand: iPhone. History: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Iphone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S/5C

Company: Nintendo. Brand: ???. History*: NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Micro, DS, DS Lite, DS XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS

You can see why there's a branding awareness issue here, I think.

*These obviously aren't in order, as I'm at work, my brain is mush, and I don't have time to google timelines.

moolamb

Company: Sony. Brand: Playstation. History: Playstation, Playstation 2, PSP (Playstation Portable), Playstation 3, Playstation Vita, Playstation 4

Company: Microsoft. Brand: Xbox. History: Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One

Company: Apple. Brand: iPhone. History: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Iphone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S/5C

Company: Nintendo. Brand: ???. History*: NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Micro, DS, DS Lite, DS XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS

*These obviously aren't in order, as I'm at work, my brain is mush, and I don't have time to google timelines.

Company: Nintendo. Brand: Nintendo.

MrKeinov

I can't express the feelings of dissapointment I had when they first announced the system. The naming, the games they showed(other than zelda demo they were all upscaled wii games and multiplats), still yet to be announced online features. It was doomed when it was announced, 1.5 years before its release.

Note: I have a wii u and played all the 1st party games, still dissapointed

I can't express the feelings of dissapointment I had when they first announced the system. The naming, the games they showed(other than zelda demo they were all upscaled wii games and multiplats), still yet to be announced online features. It was doomed when it was announced, 1.5 years before its release.

Note: I have a wii u and played all the 1st party games, still dissapointed

It has great games.

Khrno

If all the consoles were clearly branded "Nintendo ****" (****: any correspondent console name), then the brand would be Nintendo itself, and people would talk about the Nintendo home console or the Nintendo handheld of the moment, but they made the mistake to separate the Wii (and Wii U) from the Nintendo brand, at least the DS and 3DS did kept the Nintendo name.

you call an Xbox an Xbox no one has problem with it even when you were talking about the 360 when you said Xbox

you say Playstation and everyone assumes you meant PS4

but say Wii for Wii U and OMG

Akai__

Articles like this will often just use Playstation or Xbox without the number in the headline.. so.. no

I don't think, that's always the case. It's just poor research.

My local newspaper called GTA5 a FPS game, for example and they exactly described, what a FPS game is.

hohoXD123

Or it could have just been, you know, a typo as suggested by them talking about the Wii U in the body...

There was a lot of confusion initially but it seems to have gotten better recently, though there are probably people still out there who think it's a peripheral for the Wii.

erawsd

Yeah, its something that happens with every consumer electronic. Based on the body of the article, Its obvious the article it isnt confused.

you call an Xbox an Xbox no one has problem with it even when you were talking about the 360 when you said Xbox

you say Playstation and everyone assumes you meant PS4

but say Wii for Wii U and OMG
The difference being that the Xbox and Playstation brands are well established over several years.

Nintendo just smacked a U, a tablet and a hardware upgrade onto a freakishly popular product and expected that the 90+ million people who came out of the woodwork to purchase the Wii would immediately buy in. Bad move. No arrangement of letters or hardware could ever cause a statistical anomaly to become the norm.

Myriadis

Everybody points out the name as a flaw but it's really a non issue as far as sales go, to buy a gamepad you have to buy the console. No one is being tricked into it. The problem is just that the Wiiu doesn't appeal at all to the casual audience and Nintendo has done a poor job of catering to the hardcore.

The Problem is that they tried too much catering to the hardcore. They didn't learn from the gamecube and n64. That and the name, making it not clear enough to the public .

erawsd

The Problem is that they tried too much catering to the hardcore. They didn't learn from the gamecube and n64. That and the name, making it not clear enough to the public .

In what way did the WiiU cater to the hardcore? If it were, I imagine it would have no gimmick, a regular controller, "next gen" graphic capability, and Metroid as a launch title.

Haunted

This was in last weeks Sunday Express

Bn51MSmCMAEi2vG.jpg:large

Quite why they think the Wii is worth £500, even with a (free) Karaoke game, is baffling too.
Holy shit, awesome, it even comes with one of those new tablet controllers for the Wii!

Metro is a free paper handed out on the tube, and it's a Murdoch publication too. Before we condemn the whole media, we need to know what The Daily Mail and National Enquirer think.

Edit: actually not Murdoch, I'm thinking of MX the Australian equivalent.

The difference being that the Xbox and Playstation brands are well established over several years.

Nintendo just smacked a U, a tablet and a hardware upgrade onto a freakishly popular product and expected that the 90+ million people who came out of the woodwork to purchase the Wii would immediately buy in. Bad move. No arrangement of letters or hardware could ever cause a statistical anomaly to become the norm.

I give you the point that Nintendo's branding needs help but it is hard for me to see anyone talking about Wii U and not just lazily calling it a Wii

Wii U is just special to the fans who own and love it, to anyone else it is just a Wii not even exciting enough to get the name right. So the media calling it a Wii is not as shocking or a failure at branding. The point is Wii is in the Name if I don't say the U part I am not really wrong. The only people seeing fault in this is Us gamers.

Woffls

For mainstream media, all they see is a brand name. And now that most people's view of technology is through iterative smart phones and tablets, 'Wii' is just perceived as the latest iteration. If they don't feel like they need an update, then Wii U won't sell.

Two things killed Wii U before it even got to market:
1) Ignorance in the mass market
2) The Nintendo staff responsible for keeping the Wii brand

There's a Postman Pat movie? Why wasn't I informed.
Heh, it has Kaz Miller in it running a talent show or something.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It isn't the media's fault or their stupidity, it's Nintendo's fault for not taking into account the stupidity of the media. If they can't even get the mainstream to say the name right, they failed in their most important mission, and blaming someone else for being confused is silly.

This is true.
But I still can't understand why a number is more clear than a letter.
PS3 and PS4 have the same difference than Wii and WiiU to me :\

PS: I don't like the WIi U name, just to clarify.

redcrayon

I've got the Metro in front of me. It says 'Wii U' in the standfirst beneath the headline, and another five times in the article, and clearly states each Mario Kart is on which Nintendo console in the artwork. This particular case looks more like the sub-editors were struggling to fit 'Wii U' in the small space left for the headline to me.

I think this would look nice, or some type of variant. The U could even be smaller or appear as an exponent like in the N64 logo.

UDpr7kd.png

This is true.

You should go out for a walk if you don't get the superiority of consecutive numbering vs. random letters.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You should go out for a walk if you don't get the superiority of consecutive numbering vs. random letters.

Sorry, but to me if a name have a different letter is a different name.
It's not so hard to understand that iPhone5 is not iPhone5S

MrKeinov

This is true.

People think its like a minor upgrade. Like when a game comes out named "Tales of Graces f" do you think its like a succesor to Graces? It gives an impression of "renewed" to most people. Like iPhone 4->4s doesnt look like a major upgrade but 4->5 does. Just sayin.

I doubt it's the naming at this point. It's the system's lack of popularity. Nintendo have not provided enough new experiences to entice casuals and the mainstream media to actually want to learn more about the system. If they had a "Wii Sports" phenomenon, it wouldn't matter what the hell they named it. Everyone would learn it.

Top Bottom