• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Media still think the Wii U is the Wii?

Pillville

This is true.
But I still can't understand why a number is more clear than a letter.
PS3 and PS4 have the same difference than Wii and WiiU to me :\

PS: I don't like the WIi U name, just to clarify.

As someone pointed out in a post a long time ago
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74079668&postcount=1671

The problem is that everything for the Wii had "Wii" in the name, so Wii U just sounds like another accessory.

Wii Wheel
Wii Remote
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Balance Board
Wii U
Wii Remote
Wii Fit +
Wii Play Motion

SuperHans

People shouldn't be giving the media a free pass on this. It's a journalist job to ensure what is printed is accurate. It would only take a quick google.

I don't see him saying this AT ALL, stop putting words in his mouth.
They seem to report on new Apple products fairly well. And those tend to look identical to their predecessors. It's a PR issue in most cases and Nintendo is horrible at it. No question.

Sorry, but to me if a name have a different letter is a different name.
It's not so hard to understand that iPhone5 is not iPhone5S

Ignoring the fact that Apple's marketing department is in a different league and is capable to explain and sell everything to the customers.

But 5S indicates it's a revision of the iPhone5 model and not a completly new iPhone generation, while WiiU isn't a revision of the Wii.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I feel like the U was just left out of the headline, probably for spacing reasons.
That's what I'm thinking. It's a tight fit and "U" is probably the least important part of the title. At least there's no kerning issues.

Laconic

Banned
I'll just reiterate this, here:

Nintendo:

"It's a me, Mario!"

Everyone else:

"What's a U, Mario?"

Please note that I have a Wii U and love it. Nintendo needs a new marketing department. Miis would run theirs better.

DeaviL

Banned
For their next system they should do a Street Fighter.
I'll buy an Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System Turbo HD.

I don't mind the Wii U name

LordOfChaos

I think there's still a sizable population unclear on it, but as for the OP, that's just like saying "Xbox sales" or "Playstation sales" for XBO or PS4, it doesn't have to mean they think it's the same.

Nintendo really should have just gone with Nintendo U, though.

It's a generic name associated with the line of home consoles put out by Nintendo.

Nintendo puts out Wiis

Sony puts out PlayStations

Microsoft puts out Xboxes

etc...

Nikodemos

In that case it should've been called the Wii 2, or the Super Wii, or any other name than doesn't make it look/sound like an addon for the original console. Just because a name is bland and uninspired doesn't mean it's junk. Playstation <insert_consecutive_number> is the blandest crap in existence, yet nobody cares.

NoBL3Z

This was in last weeks Sunday Express

Bn51MSmCMAEi2vG.jpg:large

Quite why they think the Wii is worth £500, even with a (free) Karaoke game, is baffling too.

Oh my......

Will not change until Nintendo gets their act together. Looks like they haven't yet.

The blame falls squarely on Nintendo and their marketing team.

right.. The media shouldn't do research and report what is plainly visible on the package/ the facts

Media has no problem telling us the differences between an iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, and iPad variants,

but when it comes to the big N and the Wii-U, no one wants to take 5 seconds to google

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
right.. The media shouldn't do research and report what is plainly visible on the package/ the facts

Media has no problem telling us the differences between an iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, and iPad variants,

but when it comes to the big N and the Wii-U, no one wants to take 5 seconds to google

I guess when people think all the media is just paid off by corporations, then yeah of course it's the coporations' fault!

In what way did the WiiU cater to the hardcore? If it were, I imagine it would have no gimmick, a regular controller, "next gen" graphic capability, and Metroid as a launch title.

It has an enthusiast focused lineup. Pikmin, W101, Donkey Kong, all games that sell to people who play a ton of video games.

Xun

I noticed this on my morning commute, and it's incredibly evident that the writer didn't come up with the headline.

The Wii U has many problems, but by far the biggest is the name (or rather overall brand). It's a mess, and the system deserves better.

213372bu

Banned
I'm not sure if I've said this before. But most of the people I know either see the Wii U as (in priority):
A) They don't know about it.
B) A tablet add-on

Very few people I know actually acknowledge the Wii U with the few mainly consisting of "hardcore" gaming enthusiasts or being my parents, (who have been somewhat into gaming since the Atari.)

This isn't surprising to me in the slightest.

Crocodile

Just curious, what do people think should have been the name? Wii 2? Super Wii? Is it actually the name that's the issue or marketing? It seemed so obvious from day one to me that Wii U =/= Wii but I post on GAF which by default makes me more "hardcore" than a lot of other customers so......... :/

Mesoian

As someone pointed out in a post a long time ago
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74079668&postcount=1671

The problem is that everything for the Wii had "Wii" in the name, so Wii U just sounds like another accessory.

Wii Wheel
Wii Remote
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Play
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Balance Board
Wii U
Wii Remote
Wii Fit +
Wii Play Motion

YURP!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The WiiU should have been called "The Nintendo Entertainment System."

FULL STOP.

Nintendo should have called it a Wii 2, as a number leaves no doubt that it's a new model.

The Wii had tons of peripherals including the Wiimote +, even worse they make the unit look like a Wii which UK stores sold both Wii's and WiiU's on the same shelf. Ditto as to why the UK is confused.

The only worse thing Nintendo could have done is call it the Wii 32X

jholmes

There is no excusing a reporter or an editor not understanding or misrepresenting the facts in a story, and certainly not something this simple and fundamental. The blame belongs to the paper alone.

If you all want to complain about the Wii U name aside from this example, go nuts.

There is no excusing a reporter or an editor not understanding or misrepresenting the facts in a story, and certainly not something this simple and fundamental. The blame belongs to the paper alone.

If you all want to complain about the Wii U name aside from this example, go nuts.

But it's not just one case, I've seen the Wii U get mistaken for the Wii multiple times here in the UK, plus there are atleast 3 examples in this thread.

Jonnax

I had a thought that what. Nintendo could have done is discontinue the Wii. And then somehow market the Wii U as something like the Wii(2012) in the style of a lot of electronics Nowadays.

But they would have had to have another Wii Sports game to hook people in.

Top Bottom