• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Capcom Super Top List Thread: Championship Edition

Hunahan

Banned
fp3ub6.png

If there's one thing I've noticed that GAF likes to do, it's debate the quality of lists. Today, instead of profiling the quality of Gamescoop's latest link, I figured we could stir up a little homebrew, and take a touch of personal ownership for the slapfight spawn point.

2q86gat.jpg

About Capcom:

In the year 1983, a super video game company named Capcom was created. I.R.M. and Japan Capsule Computer created Capcom to stop the evil desires of shitty arcade companies.

However, after their defeat, shitty arcade companies created 8 million bad games to counter Capcom.

2q86gat.jpg

About the Thread:

This thread is a place to discuss, list, rank, and whine about the games of Capcom's storied history in the video game biz. Feel free to contribute in any way that you see fit. In order to make this thread as enjoyable as possible, please try to stick to the following guidelines:

- Dissenting views are welcomed and encouraged, but try to keep things civil.
- Please try to keep at least vaguely on topic.
- For Stumpakapow's sanity, expend a little effort in creating a list.

2q86gat.jpg

About the List:

This list is meant to construe my personal opinion, and is, of course, not definitive for anything else. Feel free to comment on, criticize, or supplement it in any way.

There are certainly dozens of additional fan favorite Capcom games that did not make this list. I had a difficult time narrowing this down. I recognize that many series of Capcom's have extraordinarily dedicated fanbases, and I welcome those fans to contribute in a far better way than I would be able to.

So, quanitity. 20 seemed bulky, 10 was too tough. I settled on 15. Feel free to pick whatever number you want.

Other notes:
- I tried to consider games based on what they actually are, rather than how I remembered them.
- I couldn't decide on any reasonable way to rank them, so my list is chronological by release.
- I tried to stick to one game per series. Not entirely successfully.

2q86gat.jpg

The List

All right. Here we go.

1) Mega Man (1987 NES)
28gwlr4.jpg
2i9sg7b.gif
108cy6f.gif

Yeah, in some ways Mega Man 2 is probably the better game. But Mega Man will always be number one in both chronology, and in my heart.

With one of the most iconic sprites in the industry, a soundtrack that would spawn remixes for decades, and an extraordinarily clever upgrade mechanic to boot, the release of Mega Man is easily one of the defining moments of the NES.

Cliched box art jokes aside, there's something about this game that continues to define what the entire 8-bit era was all about.

After decades of attempts to update and modernize the formula, it was Mega Man 9, with it's retro visuals and chiptune soundtrack, that finally returned the bomber to glory. Proof positive of just how timeless the complete package of Mega Man's first foray actually is, and how complete the execution.

One of the few games to ever turn a hardware limitation into an integral part of it's design, Mega Man did not just exist in 8-bit, it thrived.

2q86gat.jpg

2) GHOULS 'N' GHOSTS (1988 CPS)
9qws9d.png
2ahv4ar.png
14tlhl3.png

From the pacing and design, to the graphics and controls - even decades later, everything about Ghouls 'N' Ghosts still seems immaculately constructed.

While Ghosts 'N' Goblins was certainly a fine piece of entertainment in it's own right, Ghouls 'N' Ghosts was the entry that forced me to recognize the series as a serious contender for inclusion in the pantheon of action game greats. Despite some disappointing follow-ups throughout the years (Golden Knights 2 is atrocious), the second entry still remains untarnished as a masterpiece.

Featuring one of the many Capcom soundtracks that will forever be burned in my brain, Ghouls N Ghosts is easily amongst my favorite games of all time.

As much as I try to reserve myself about such things, I am geeked about Arthur's inclusion in MvC3.

2q86gat.jpg

3) Strider (1989 CPS)
optqo7.png
24cuyiw.png
70bb6g.png

With an incredible amount of bizarre creativity, a breakneck pace of shifting objectives, a constantly refreshed event-driven soundtrack, and one of the most iconic weapons in arcade video game history, Strider still stands tall as the greatest 2D roller-coaster of an action game ever created.

From the surprsing takes on gravity manipulation, to the death-defying cartwheel jumps off exploding snowscapes, Strider just never stops it's forward momentum - one of the secret elements of the recipe that it's sequel unfortunately forgets.

Despite omnipresent accolades, and blockbuster sales throughout the 16-bit era, very few of the unique qualities that Strider brought to the genre were ever incorporated amongst it's piers. Perhaps this is why it still stands up as well as it does. A must-experience treasure of the arcade scene.

2q86gat.jpg

4) Final Fight (1989 CPS)
2db8hfm.png
x6stk.png
21m884m.gif

Sure, there was Double Dragon and River City Ransom. Even Golden Axe beat Final Fight out of the gate. But whenever I think of the beat-em-up genre, this is the game that comes to mind. Definitive and timeless, Final Fight is a pillar of my arcade days.

And while most of the genre has rendered itself moot by the slow progress of time, I can still enjoy a few rounds of Final Fight whenever the opportunity presents itself.

To be fair, the game would be marginal to pointless without the inclusion of Haggar - but the world's favorite pipe-swinging mayor persists, and so does this title as a result.

Classic in every sense of the word.

2q86gat.jpg

5) Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991 CPS)
sq0f0l.png
2v34s3n.png
25uh1rc.png

I still remember the first time I ever saw this game. With a line stretching across the arcade, and those iconic sampled battle cries echoing through the room. Walking up and seeing twin 6-button setups, players shoulder to shoulder manipulating the joystick in every direction.

While every game on this list holds a special place in my heart, Street Fighter II is the game that changed the world. If you weren't alive for the spawn, it is impossible to relay just how monumental this game was. One minute, the words "fighting game" meant nothing, the next, no one was talking about anything else.

Of course there were the constant revisions and changes and new characters and competitors. After a while, it just became a part of the video game landscape again.

But for a time, Street Fighter II was the biggest thing in the world. It resurrected the arcade, then buried them to extinction. It created the competitive scene, and laid out the template for every single fighting game that would ever follow in it's wake.

It's all there, in that one game. In a word, amazing.

Capcom fan, fighting game fan, or naysayer, there is no way to refute that Street Fighter II is undeniably one of the 5 most important video games of all time.

2q86gat.jpg

6) Midnight Wanderers (1991 CPS)
29c77l0.png
2nhhlbl.gif
28iz1hd.gif

I very well might be the only person in the world who would include Midnight Wanderers on a top list of Capcom games, but at least you know that you're getting my straight, unwavering opinion by it's inclusion.

Sandwiched by mediocrity on the arcade multiplay "3 Wonders," Midnight Wanderers manages to defy expectations and stand up as a worthy participant in the Capcom action side-scroller legacy.

Playing most similarly to the GnG franchise - complete with broken armor boxer shorts and power-up weapons- Midnight Wanderers manages to carve it's own path with multi-tiered stages and an exaggerated, consistent art style.

Balanced more like a console release than an arcade game, Midnight Wanderers is probably one of the most "fair" and balanced games of it's era - making it insanely replayable to this day.

An overlooked gem.

2q86gat.jpg

7) Vampire Savior (1997 CPS-2)
28cjamc.png
2djaog0.png
wvai5t.png

The Darkstalkers series started a little rough for me. Feeling a bit too much like a Street Fighter clone, and feeling a bit too "weak" with it's gameplay, I wasn't immediately taken by the formula.

But by the third game, even the most ardent critic had to take notice, myself included.

Vampire Savior just seems to pull it all together, creating one of the most fluid and frenetic fighting games around. Amping the comedic value, boosting the pacing, and finally getting the damage options steadied, the Darkstalkers franchise really got into gear here, and earned it's inclusion in the list.

2q86gat.jpg

8) Marvel Vs Capcom: Clash Of Super Heroes (1998 CPS-2)
fcnvgn.png
2e52uye.png
o9l4qt.png

"Let's Go Crazy!!"

The entire Marvel license franchise is a fairly meaty chunk of the mid to late nineties Capcom, and really - there aren't a whole lot of truly worthless games in the lot.

While the sequel seems to be the game that lives forever with enduring popularity, Clash of Super Heroes is the one that remains my personal favorite.

Insane without being incomprehensible, combo-crazy without bordering on masochism, and a featuring a limited roster that allowed the average player to actually wrap their head around the choices in front of them - Clash basically sits right at the sweet spot for what the appeal of these games actually is to me.

In addition, the cohesive, 2D artstyle still stands out as vastly superior to the messy conglomeration of it's sequel. While MvC2 still feels like a precursor to MUGEN, MvC plays like a complete, well designed package.

"Hyper Combo Finish!!!"

2q86gat.jpg

9) Resident Evil 2 (1998 Playstation)
30b2sgp.jpg
2vaawcy.jpg
4zun20.jpg

There's no denying it - the original Resident Evil was a landmark release. Simultaneously creating and defining the "survival horror" genre, it stands as a tentpole of video game creation - terrible acting intact.

But it's the sequel that makes my list here. Contained on an amazing double-disk package that allowed the player to experience two variations of the adventure, Resident Evil 2 is still one of the most jaw dropping, action packed sequels I have ever experienced, and one of the defining moments of the PS1 era.

The peak of the series, in both action and suspense, Resident Evil 2 set a bar that even it's own lineage failed to match.

The entire genre, for me, never got quite this good again.

2q86gat.jpg

10) Street Fighter III: Third Strike (1999 CPS-3)
2s5z1gn.png
2ue62dk.png
2ufr9md.png

So I'm kind of breaking my one game per franchise rule here, but the chronologically numbered versions of Street Fighter always felt like a franchise of their own, with various releases and sequels contained within.

Outside of that, what needs to be said?

With a creative, interesting cast, insanely detailed animation, and one of the deepest fighting systems ever created, Street Fighter 3 was the ultimate service to the hardcore, 2D fighting fan.

To this day, it still feels like this game marks the end of an era. There has never been, and probably never will be, a 2D game quite as intricately crafted as Third Strike.

2q86gat.jpg

11) Breath Of Fire IV (2000 Playstation)
2cmlx81.jpg
9ftkqq.jpg
2rh337p.jpg

With charming characters, an interesting world, and some of the most beautiful spritework to ever grace the genre, Breath of Fire IV is one of the few PS1 RPGs that I can still stand to look at.

An addictive ability-stealing battle system, well designed dungeons, and instant-swap combat keep things moving, while the visuals continue to impress with simply gorgeous animation.

Often seen as the black sheep of the BoF series, it still stays as my favorite.

Deal with it.

2q86gat.jpg

12) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (2005 Nintendo DS)
ngek5s.png
2937c6b.png
2j4ebky.png

God dammit. I'm just going to cheat. Number 12 is the whole Ace Attorney series.

I know, I know.....Objection.

Well...overruled.

Honestly, I can't decide between the Ace Attorney games, so I'm just throwing them all together.

One of the only titles in history that I can continue playing just for the story, Ace Attorney is a gem of modern gaming, and the best thing to happen to the Nintendo DS, pal.

With an insanely loveable cast of characters, clever cases, and an additive sountrack, Ace Attorney really grabs me like few other portable games can.

Quite possibly the finest "adventure" game ever created - even a foolish fool can see that.

2q86gat.jpg

13) Dead Rising (2006 Xbox 360)
ndoj8y.jpg
15f5ddt.jpg
30u343p.jpg

Dead Rising is a game about being on time. And everything around you, from Pyschos, to Zombies, to incompetent AI, are just there to slow you down.

It's also one of the most creative, replayable, and original games to be released in the current generation.

From the plethora of secrets, to the effective black comedy, to the thinly veiled take on American culture, Dead Rising is an amazing experience that considerably helps to define the modern Capcom.

2q86gat.jpg

14) Bionic Commando Rearmed (2008 Xbox 360/PS3/PC)
ouz1o8.png
71gspx.jpg
30bclg0.jpg

Capcom obviously put a lot of time and money into a full-blown 3D sequel to their NES classic, and it's really a shame.

Quite simply, this was all we ever needed

Bionic Commando, like many early games, just doesn't translate to 3D. The gameplay is inexorably linked to the side-scrolling format, and how fortunate we are that this downloadable title allowed everyone to realize that.

I debated for quite some time on which version to include on this list, but in the end - ReArmed does everything that the original did, and does it better.

Still the gold standard for franchise resurrection via downloadable game. I truly can't wait for the sequel.

2q86gat.jpg

15) Street Fighter IV (2009 Xbox 360/PS3/PC)
538hvb.jpg
28wecee.jpg
ic1ws5.jpg

The return of the legend.

I will never forget the feeling of tracking down one of these machines when they hit the United States. A decade later, and it felt like no time had passed at all.

Sure, there had been a few Namco and Arc games along the way. A Virtua Fighter here and there, but this was the one that brought it all back. While the 3D graphics still draw in the haters, the "return of the fighter" didn't truly happened until Street Fighter said so.

Playing great, looking great, and introducing an entire new generation to the magic of the shoryuken, this is a moment to celebrate.

Yeah, I know. 3 out of 5 Street Fighter game series made the list, but I personally just find it impossible to ignore them.

Each one is on here for a different reason, and each one earns a place by it's own independent merit.

2q86gat.jpg

All right. Have at it.

yurinka

<3 Capcom
The best gaming company ever created. Great thread, even I don't agree with the order of the list and I miss a ton of games.
It would be cool to create some kind of giant poll where you could rate each game, at least each one the top 100 of Capcom history.
It would be like a Capcom Gaf mini metacritic.

Requeim

Solid list

Stuff that i would add

Knights of the Round
The King of Dragons
Magic Sword
Devil May Cry 1/3/4
Okami

Really nice stuff. A few additions need to be made(such as my avatar), but overall its a very great appreciation style thread with actual info and not just pics slapped all over the place. Great job :D

Hunahan

Banned
john tv said:
Nice thread. Needs more Monster Hunter though. :)
I have to defer to the experts on Monster Hunter. I've only played the 2nd one for about 5 hours. Any inclusion would be purely out of respect for it's accomplishments.

One of these days I'll give the series a better shake. I have no doubt that it's solid.

yurinka said:
<3 Capcom
The best gaming company ever created. Great thread, even I don't agree with the order of the list and I miss a ton of games.
It would be cool to create some kind of giant poll where you could rate each game, at least each one the top 100 of Capcom history.
It would be like a Capcom Gaf mini metacritic.
The order is just chronological by release date.

If there's enough interest, I'll consider compiling the statistics of any toplists generated in this thread.

Requeim said:
Solid list

Stuff that i would add

Knights of the Round
The King of Dragons
Magic Sword
Devil May Cry 1/3/4
Okami

The King of Dragons was actually one of the last cuts that I made. Definitely my favorite fantasy-themed beat-em-up.

Any list containing console games and Crapcom sh*t post 2001 is invalid.

For example, OP list is golden until #8, then the wheels fly off the wagon.

That is all.

Hunahan

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
Never heard of Midnight Wanderers!

It's fantastic. I highly recommend giving it a spin.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Any list containing console games and Crapcom sh*t post 2001 is invalid.

For example, OP list is golden until #8, then the wheels fly off the wagon.

That is all.

Damn. I knew I should have left Varth and Tiger Road on the list.

G0DLIKE

My top 15:

15. Viewtiful Joe
14. Alien vs. Predator
13. Street Fighter Alpha 3
12. Final Fight
11. God Hand
10. Ghosts 'n Goblins
9. Resident Evil
8. Capcom vs. SNK Millennium Fight 2000
7. Resident Evil 4
6. Capcom vs. SNK Mark of the Millennium 2001
5. Resident Evil 2
4. Devil May Cry 3
3. Super Street Fighter IV
2. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
1. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

<3 Capcom

1. RE4
The best game of last gen, improved on the Wii & infinitely better than its sequel.

2. God Hand
Closest thing to a Final Fight style game in 3D that I have played, & has a tongue firmly wedged in its cheek

3. Viewtiful Joe
Updated the 2D side-scroller with time-bending effects with lots of little nods to B-movies.

4. Power Stone
An interesting take on the beat-em-up that needs to be revived.

5. SF2:Turbo
Broke numerous pads, watched real life fights break out due to this game, & one of those games that everyone recognises.

6. Phoenix Wright: AA
I had never really played a Japanese point 'n' click before & AA was worth it, well written & actually funny with a memorable cast.

7. DMC
1st game of its type that I played, has been surpassed by some of its sequels(& Bayonetta) but still has its own style(& is easier than 3)

8. Aladdin
The best Movie to Game before Goldeneye came out, a polished platformer that was a bit too easy, had smooth animation & a good soundtrack.

9.Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Decent fighting game with fan service dripping from every orifice.

10.Gun Smoke
Not the best game they've made, but the 1st one I ever played. A vertical scroller similar to Commando with a wild-west setting.

Dascu

Viewtiful Joe

A stunning cel-shaded sidescroller with fast-paced gameplay. One of the few games where story and gameplay are closely linked together. Slowing down time and zooming in to perform long combos never gets old. The robot enemies slowly break down as you punch them, giving the combat a very strong sense of impact. Some of the later bosses can be quite the challenge, but attacks are always telegraphed well in advance with visual and audio cues, so that the game remains fair.

dKYCR.jpg
FGvv7.jpg

Okami

A 3-in1 epic quest where you fight ancient demons and restore colour to the beautiful lands. Okami is filled with colourful characters and has more than enough gameplay elements to set it apart from the Zelda franchise. The paintbrush mechanic allowed for a lot of creativity in regards to both the combat as the level and puzzle design. It's a long adventure, but the world is so well-realized that you're encouraged to carry on and destroy the evil that is threatening it.

7RN9b.jpg
hWEcW.jpg

God Hand

The graphics are terrible. The story itself is boring. The camera could use some work. The level design is laughably bad. But goddamn if the actual gameplay isn't some of the most refined and enjoyable beat'em-up combat ever designed. So much variation is possible to accommodate each situation and type of player. The characters are batshit insane and the soundtrack is a thing of beauty. Once you invest some time into God Hand, it'll grab you by the balls and won't let you go.

mU6yk.jpg
v5IxN.jpg

Capcom, despite all of the Inafune mess that makes me sad and jaded, is STILL consistently my favorite developer.
My son too is also a convert at just 7 years old. His favorite franchises being Bionic Commando Rearmed, 1942/1943, MegaMan, and GnG series.

I guess my current list would look like off the top of my head:

1. MegaMan 2 and 9

2. Mohun!
Monster Hunter

3. Resident Evil OG, 4, and 5

4. Arcade Ghouls n' Ghosts

5. Bionic Command/Rearmed

Dascu said:
God Hand

The graphics are terrible. The story itself is boring. The camera could use some work. The level design is laughably bad. But goddamn if the actual gameplay isn't some of the most refined and enjoyable beat'em-up combat ever designed. So much variation is possible to accommodate each situation and type of player. The characters are batshit insane and the soundtrack is a thing of beauty. Once you invest some time into God Hand, it'll grab you by the balls and won't let you go.

mU6yk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/v5IxN.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Story is anything but boring...

Dascu

AgentOtaku said:
Story is anything but boring...
The story itself is just a bunch of demon dudes acting evil. More or less your average Power Rangers episode. The characters however are amazingly hilarious.

RetroGreg

Yes Boss! said:
Indeed. I think my only option is getting it on the PSP Remixed collection. I'll download that next week once I get paid.

You can get the 3 Wonders disc for the Saturn (JP) if you'd rather play it on that. :D

Yes Boss!

RetroGreg said:
You can get the 3 Wonders disc for the Saturn (JP) if you'd rather play it on that. :D
Well now. I have a J-Saturn and that seems much more pleasant! Thanks for the heads up on that port of the game...been watching youtubes and it is looking great.

cvxfreak

Nice thread!

Just FYI to the OP: you have 2 screenshots of RE3 in your section about RE2. :p

My list would predominantly be RE, Onimusha and Phoenix Wright. I'll come up with one soon.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Capcom is still my favorite 3rd party company hands down. I'm not even unhappy with them currently, for all the hate they get for not meeting the extremely precise desires of fans who refuse to try anything different than their like 1 favorite game.

Add Clover's games in and you have a basically unbeatable catalog.

Their performance this generation has been kicked back up to classic levels IMO thanks to the sheer quality of their fighting game revival. So what if Lost Planet 2 went in the wrong direction? In exchange they give you Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Super SFIV, Marvel vs Capcom F**kin' 3, and hell, why not, Basara 3. And Dead Rising 2 demonstrates they /can/ build, maintain, and grow new franchises correctly.

Yes Boss!

What is the general consensus the Capcom hardcore of the Super Fami/SNES Mickey and Alladin? These two were well, well-loved by me and my friends at the time.

OP needs more Devil May Cry 3. Still the king of the stylish action genre.

Capcom is and probably always will be my favorite developer in the world. They have their ups and downs, but they're still pretty much the best developer for every generation of hardware.

woodypop

Forgotten Worlds

Forgotten_Worlds_GEN_ScreenShot2.gif

One of my favorite shmups. I played the Genesis version endlessly. The 3-button pad worked remarkably well. But it didn't hold a candle to the arcade's joystick/dial combo. The stage and weapon variety were fantastic, with both vertically and horizontally scrolling, and two-player co-op. Awesome music, too!

Sega's Capcom conversions (Ghoul's 'n Ghosts, Strider, Forgotten Worlds, etc.) were a godsend for us early 16-bit adopters.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
For me my Capcom experience can be summed up by three games, in order even :)

-DuckTales
-Street Fighter II (and yes, III and IV later on)
-Monster Hunter

Each one brought something completely different to the table and kept me glued to the screen for well over hundreds of hours.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When you guys reply to this thread to add games, try to put 1/10th of the effort the OP put in to your replies. He got all sorts of screenshots and a pretty lengthy description. You can put in enough effort to get one screenshot and a line of text. Some of the replies so far have been great!

andymcc

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
What is the general consensus the Capcom hardcore of the Super Fami/SNES Mickey and Alladin? These two were well, well-loved by me and my friends at the time.

i haven't played aladdin in years, but i prefer the genesis mickey mouse games by a pretty large margin.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
woodypop said:
Forgotten Worlds

One of my favorite shmups. I played the Genesis version endlessly. The 3-button pad worked remarkably well. But it didn't hold a candle to the arcade's joystick/dial combo. The stage and weapon variety were fantastic, with both vertically and horizontally scrolling, and two-player co-op. Awesome music, too!

Sega's Capcom conversions (Ghoul's 'n Ghosts, Strider, Forgotten Worlds, etc.) were a godsend for us early 16-bit adopters.
<3 this man. And he knows the whats up with the original arcade game.

Edit and how can we forget Ducktales/Chip 'n Dale/etc? I would love to know who the producers on those games were.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
andymcc said:
i haven't played aladdin in years, but i prefer the genesis mickey mouse games by a pretty large margin.
Personally preferred the SNES versions, but the Genesis originals had AMAZING animation

cvxfreak

My personal list of top 10 Capcom games would be some combination of the games below. The order isn't necessarily fixed. For example, I've found it difficult to replay through Phoenix Wright, Dead Rising and Devil May Cry in spite of being thoroughly impressed with them the first time around.

Silent Hill
My first survival horror game ever. Still one of my favorites!

2. Resident Evil 4
Probably Capcom's finest game ever produced on an overall scale. It had beautiful visuals, and innovative and well-crafted gameplay.

3. Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
The game that got me into the franchise in the first place. That has to count for something.

4. Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Loved the 5 protagonists, chapter-based story and the refined gameplay variety. I definitely got a lot of value out of this game, which even launched at $40 instead of the usual $50 of the PS2 gen.

5. Resident Evil (GameCube/Wii)
Traditional Resident Evil at its finest. The original gameplay has been perfected, with amazingly beautiful visuals to go with it. The attention to detail in the background visuals and menus is something that is still rarely matched in games made today. Hard to believe it's been 8 years.

6. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
A great way to wrap up a trilogy. The final chapter brought everything together so well from the first three games, and it was a satisfying ending as a result.

7. Dead Rising
This game was unique when it first came out. It wasn't completely polished in terms of visuals and gameplay, but it was good fun that didn't take itself so seriously. I have yet to play the sequel, but I hope to get around to that soon.

8. Devil May Cry
I was never really into its sequels, but the original game is still something I remember fondly. The influences from RE were obvious, but the notion of a fast mix of sword and gun gameplay with an emphasis on speed, combinations and style was still very new to me back then. Loved the environments, too.

9. Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
That introduction video was amazing, and the game was extremely well-paced. Beautiful pre-rendered visuals and more polished gameplay than the first game. I managed to get through the game in Japanese in spite of not knowing a lick of the language at that time.

10. Resident Evil 5
This game is a blast to replay. What I love about the game is its improvement on the RE4 formula and some of the plot elements. As a big fan of Jill, I loved seeing her story in the game and especially enjoyed when they made her playable in the two DLC chapters in Gold Edition.

11. Super Street Fighter II
I've never been good at Capcom's 2D fighting games, but this deserves a mention anyway. It was probably the first Capcom game I ever played as a child, and I'm very familiar with the franchise overall. Favorite fighter's E. Honda.

Honorable mentions:

12. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
13. Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
14. Resident Evil 2
15. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
16. Resident Evil Outbreak

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
_dementia said:
And Vampire Savior didn't come out until 1997

And Mega Man came out in 1987.

And the screenshots he used for Resident Evil 2 are from Resident Evil 3.

Hunahan

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Nice thread!

Just FYI to the OP: you have 2 screenshots of RE3 in your section about RE2. :p

My list would predominantly be RE, Onimusha and Phoenix Wright. I'll come up with one soon.
That was just there too test you.

whoops....fixed
Yes Boss! said:
Well now. I have a J-Saturn and that seems much more pleasant! Thanks for the heads up on that port of the game...been watching youtubes and it is looking great.
Yeah, the Saturn version is definitely the best home port.
Kaijima said:
Capcom is still my favorite 3rd party company hands down. I'm not even unhappy with them currently, for all the hate they get for not meeting the extremely precise desires of fans who refuse to try anything different than their like 1 favorite game.

Add Clover's games in and you have a basically unbeatable catalog.

Their performance this generation has been kicked back up to classic levels IMO thanks to the sheer quality of their fighting game revival. So what if Lost Planet 2 went in the wrong direction? In exchange they give you Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Super SFIV, Marvel vs Capcom F**kin' 3, and hell, why not, Basara 3. And Dead Rising 2 demonstrates they /can/ build, maintain, and grow new franchises correctly.
Yeah! I'm totally with you on that. Current gen Capcom is really impressing me. I don't get the hate.

Honestly, I don't think any 3rd party has been consistently this strong over such a long period of time.

When you compare Capcom's current releases to their contemporaries like Konami, Namco, and Sega, it's not even in the same league anymore, imo.
woodypop said:
Forgotten Worlds

Yeah, I have incredibly fond memories of Forgotten Worlds. It may not hold up nearly as well as I remember it, but at the time it was amazing.

The biggest problem I have with Forgotten Worlds these days is that the character hit-box just seems unwieldly compared to the environment hazards and bullet patterns.

I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of this franchise, though. They could make a pretty amazing game with twin sticks, imo.
Yes Boss! said:
They were great at the time. Capcom's NES games were pretty well loved as well. I have a tough time going back to any of that stuff, however.

16-bit Disney is actually a pretty heated debate on the retro scene. The Sega versions and the Capcom versions go back and forth depending on who you ask.
Busaiku said:
3rd Strike didn't actually come out until 1999.
Heh. Whoops. Fixed.
_dementia said:
And Vampire Savior didn't come out until 1997
Geez, I did a terrible job here.

The only defense that I have is editing a post that big gets completely impossible to keep up with. I don't know how all these game Official Threads do it.
Mael said:
Wow I really need to get started on Okami :D
What's a Chamionship?
Gah! I can't fix that one. :(

Maybe a kind mod will assist.

Hunahan

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
And Mega Man came out in 1987.

And the screenshots he used for Resident Evil 2 are from Resident Evil 3.
I'm just trying to set a record for most factual inaccuracies in an OP.

Thanks for all the help guys. ;-)

seady

Capcom - the best developer of all time.

Their output (quantity) of games is enormous, but they also manage to keep the quality and variety of games very high. I don't think any developer/publisher can do so well with quantity+quality+variety. Not even Nintendo (who loses in the 'variety' department imo).

Holy shit not a single mention of Black Tiger? I can maybe understand Hunahan passing on it but nearly fifty posts in this thread and it's like the game didn't even exist.

I think it's one of Capcom's best games of the 80s. Obviously it's not going to have some "classic" appeal considering nobody else in this thread has brought it up but as far as action-platformers go it's solid as stone with flawless controls, an excellent difficulty curve, and hell I don't know it kicks ass.

and again Holy shit not a single mention of Dragon Quarter?
I guess Dead Rising is a viable substitute but man DQ is a masterpiece. I'd post more but I think I said everything I ever wanted to say in this blog-post.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I used to be Capcom obsessed.... these days I realize I gave Konami the short end of the stick. They are both equal IMO.

entremet

In no particular order.

Mega Man II (NES): This was the first Capcom game I played with me being aware it was made by Capcom. What can I say that hasn't been said countless times. This was also my first Mega Man game. I still adore the soundtrack, the robot master designs, the levels--The Wily Stages are still the best IMHO.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (ARC): I played the original in the arcades when it was hype. I was extremely impressed at the sprite work, music, and controls--SFI controlled like crap. I played the game in the arcades religiously until ST. While I adore SSFIV, the arcade scene will be missed.

Resident Evil (PSone/GCN): This game sold me on the PlayStation as my primary platform in that generation. I played the PlayStation version countless times and adored the GameCube remake. Mikami really set the bar high on how a remakes should be done. Twin Snakes, the other PSone to GameCube remake looked like a joke in comparison.

Mega Man X (SNES): I remember the Nintendo Power feature on this game. It turned out to be everything I wanted and continued the MM formula--beautiful art direction, amazing music, and great level design. Sadly, the sequels never recaptured the magic--MMX4 came close, though.

Little Nemo: The Dream Master (NES): I bought this game on a whim and it ended up consuming me. I loved the power up mechanic and varied world design.

Mega Man Powered Up (PSP): Yes, this is my third Mega Man title on the list. What can I say? I'm a fan. One of my greatest gaming wishes would be for a Powered Up version of Mega Man 2. I don't care about the platform. Mega Man Powered was chock full of content--you can play as any of the 8 robot masters, the game had two major campaigns--original and remixed, and challenge levels a la Bionic Commando Rearmed. It is a shame that Capcom abandoned this style of MM game. I would have loved the first three games done in this style.

Ultimate Ghouls and Ghost (PSP): One thing I love about Capcom, is that they are not afraid to champion the underdog platforms--Mega Drive, at least in Japan, Dreamcast, and the PSP. With MMPU and UGNG Capcom created two excellent installments, with amazing graphical fidelity and production values. I was too weaksauce to enjoy the previous installments. Ghost and Goblins tortured me as a kid. This one had more accessible difficulties, although the ring fetch quests were a bit tired.

Dead Rising (Xbox 360): I clearly remember the preview for this game on the 1up Show (RIP). This game sold me on the 360. I'm not really a graphic whore, but seeing all those zombies animating on screen with no slowdown, showed me that this game could not be possible on the hardware I was rocking--PS2/Gamecube. The game itself turned out to be very fun and infinitely replayable.

Okami (PS2): I was hyped for this game as soon as I saw the screenshots. It looked lovely. It still remains one of my top 20 games of all time and easily one of the best adventure games. While some complain that it may drag on a bit, I never wanted it to end.

Resident Evil 4 (GCN): RE4 was a bold rebooting of the franchise. The over the shoulder cam was genius and the game never lets up on the action. It definitely deserves a replay soon.

Tain

The list of masterpieces developed by Capcom is pretty god damned big. That's what happens when you've been at the tip top of arcade game development, though.

I'll have to think about this one.

Top Bottom