• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Capcom Super Top List Thread: Championship Edition

robut said:
progear_usa_010117.png

Gunbird-2-jap-1.jpg

These two aren't really Capcom games. They were developed by Cave and Psikyo, respectively.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I came into this thread ready to write up a list, then I realized that there's no way in hell I could pick just 10 or 15 Capcom games. There's just too damn many awesome ones.

By far my favorite developer ever.

Seraphis Cain said:
I came into this thread ready to write up a list, then I realized that there's no way in hell I could pick just 10 or 15 Capcom games. There's just too damn many awesome ones.

By far my favorite developer ever.

Yeah, it'd be a pretty monumental task to come up with a complete & comprehensive list of all of Capcom's great games. Even chopping it down to 10 or 15 of their absolute best would be really tough. Their library is completely unrivaled.

Hunahan

Banned
seady said:
Capcom - the best developer of all time.

Their output (quantity) of games is enormous, but they also manage to keep the quality and variety of games very high. I don't think any developer/publisher can do so well with quantity+quality+variety. Not even Nintendo (who loses in the 'variety' department imo).

Nintendo is pretty much the only other developer that I consider to be on par with Capcom in terms of breadth and depth over an extended period of time.

Many other developers have been equal for a short period of time, but none have just consistently delivered, adapted, and revolutionized as much as those two.

Sega was in the running for a great long stretch there, but they've been off the wagon for too long these days to really keep in line.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy shit not a single mention of Black Tiger? I can maybe understand Hunahan passing on it but nearly fifty posts in this thread and it's like the game didn't even exist.

I think it's one of Capcom's best games of the 80s. Obviously it's not going to have some "classic" appeal considering nobody else in this thread has brought it up but as far as action-platformers go it's solid as stone with flawless controls, an excellent difficulty curve, and hell I don't know it kicks ass.

and again Holy shit not a single mention of Dragon Quarter?
I guess Dead Rising is a viable substitute but man DQ is a masterpiece. I'd post more but I think I said everything I ever wanted to say in this blog-post.
Black Tiger is definitely a cool game. I personally wouldn't put it near the top of Capcom's output, but I have enjoyed it over the years.

robut said:
Heh. I was waiting for someone to mention Progear. The thing about Progear to me is that it really doesn't feel like a Capcom game in any way. It's pretty much just a Cave game that happens to be published. Sort of like God Of War in Japan. Still a cool game.

....but seriously yuck @ Strider 2. One of the worst sequels ever made, in my opinion. Completely misses every point of the original game to me.

Tain said:
The list of masterpieces developed by Capcom is pretty god damned big. That's what happens when you've been at the tip top of arcade game development, though.

I'll have to think about this one.
Yeah, it's super tough. I edited my list at least a dozen times before posting it.

I'm still am a bit unsure about some of the last swaps, to be honest.

IrishNinja

robut said:

:lol tired meme, but i can't pass it by.

fantastic OP. i was gonna mention the lovely triumvirate of Clover efforts but page 1 nailed that one down.

it's hard to not put capcom in a respectable top 5 dev list, i think: so many classics there, and many i'd argue hold up very well over time as well. sure, that drops off as the list progresses, but i'd argue even some of the misses are more due to the huge hits that preceded them - i.e., RE5 isn't really a bad game, i think, it's just lackluster after the wonder that was 4.

in addition to the new IPs (however mangled some of them have been by farming em out - i personally forgive a lot of sins for the Phoenix Wright trilogy though), another great strength of the brand for me is the sometimes capitalizing on their catalog: MM9 and SF IV are great follow-ups, few others as well..admittedly not as many as i'd hope for (seriously, not even an XBLA Strider 3?), but a similar thread on Konami would be kind've depressing, watching such a diverse and beautiful catalog drop down to like 2-3 games or so. it's even worse when you think about how they're not Sega or Square or any other character that got gutted after one/several massive flops that almost destroyed them.

Hunahan said:
....but seriously yuck @ Strider 2. One of the worst sequels ever made, in my opinion. Completely misses every point of the original game to me.

...really? it's quiet different (read: way, way easier) but i don't know if i'd go that far. can you elaborate?

entremet

The funny thing about the Konami/Capcom meme is that it isn't relevant anymore. Back during the 8bit/16bit and even PSone era I can understand. But Konami is basically the Metal Gear factory these days, while Capcom is still supporting older IP--SF, Resident Evil, MM and new ones--Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Monster Hunter, etc. The companies couldn't be further apart today.

Hunahan

Banned
One thing I love about Capcom, is that they are not afraid to champion the underdog platforms--Mega Drive, at least in Japan, Dreamcast, and the PSP.
Yeah, this is definitely true.

I don't think I've ever owned a platform for which there wasn't an amazing Capcom game to play. They really know how to spread the love.

Dead Rising (Xbox 360): I clearly remember the preview for this game on the 1up Show (RIP). This game sold me on the 360. I'm not really a graphic whore, but seeing all those zombies animating on screen with no slowdown, showed me that this game could not be possible on the hardware I was rocking--PS2/Gamecube. The game itself turned out to be very fun and infinitely replayable.
Man, I love Dead Rising.

I'm just finishing up the second game, and I am really amazed how well they did with turning that game into a franchise.

I just love the whole concept of the "perfect run" - really the first compulsorily replay driven mechanic that's worked for me since the death of relevance for "high scores" in top games.

entremet

Hunahan said:
Yeah, this is definitely true.

I don't think I've ever owned a platform for which there wasn't an amazing Capcom game to play. They really know how to spread the love.

Man, I love Dead Rising.

I'm just finishing up the second game, and I am really amazed how well they did with turning that game into a franchise.

I just love the whole concept of the "perfect run" - really the first compulsorily replay driven mechanic that's worked for me since the death of relevance for "high scores" in top games.
Even the 3DO got love! It was only home console with Super Turbo for a while there.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
woodypop said:
lol, I remember wanting a 3DO just for SSF2T! :lol

I would LOVE to talk to someone from Capcom and find out exactly what they saw in the 3DO to make it the only home system to get Super Turbo (for a long time, at least).

Well either that, or find out how much money Panasonic shelled out for exclusivity. :lol

entremet

Seraphis Cain said:
I would LOVE to talk to someone from Capcom and find out exactly what they saw in the 3DO to make it the only home system to get Super Turbo (for a long time, at least).

Well either that, or find out how much money Panasonic shelled out for exclusivity. :lol
By the time the Saturn and PSone rolled around they were on the Alpha series. They did eventually release it under Street Fighter Collection.

woodypop

Seraphis Cain said:
Now that is a story I'd like to hear, too!

Does anyone know the first console game that used the yellow-and-blue "CAPCOM" logo intro with accompanying jingle (which has changed throughout the years)? SFII for SNES is what comes to mind for me, but was there anything before that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GJ3dCE2wIA#t=0m04s

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
woodypop said:

Does anyone know the first console game that used the yellow-and-blue "CAPCOM" logo intro with accompanying jingle (which has changed throughout the years)? SFII for SNES is what comes to mind for me, but was there anything before that?

Final Fight Guy used that logo and jingle, and beat SFII to the market by three months in Japan. That's the earliest one I can find that used it.

EDIT: Magic Sword for the Super Famicom also predated SFII's usage of the jingle in Japan, by about a month. So yeah, there were at least two games before SFII that used the jingle.

entremet

woodypop said:

That's the first one I remember. Isn't that also where you enter the Championship Edition code?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hunahan said:
I love this game so very much despite being terrible at it. The execution barrier is just rough, but even simple stuff can be flashy and hectic as hell so it's still good times among friends. Has an outstanding and unique cast of characters to boot.

Gloomy Puppet Show might be my favorite fighting game move of all time.

woodypop

Sixfortyfive said:
I love this game so very much despite being terrible at it.
Ha ha! Me, too!

The variety of sprites in Vampire Savior amazes me to no end. I love to pore over the Gamefan Books strategy guide and marvel at all the shocked, burned, various cursed, and win poses. The amount of work put into that game must have been staggering.

confused

Banned
You forgot to mention all the wonderful Disney liscensed games Capcom made during the 8-16 bit era. SHAME ON YOU !!!

Duck%20Tales.jpg
927329-chipndale_rescue_rangers_nes_us_large.jpg
NES%20adventures_in_magic%20kingdom.JPG

AladdinSNES%231.jpg
1018430.jpg

These are the games that led 6-year old me to have an undying love for Capcom which holds true even to this day.

I love Viewtiful Joe. It's my favorite game of all time.

It feels like a perfect game to me. There's no execution barrier - the controls are incredibly intuitive and fluid, and every enemy is unique. After that, God Hand is the best thing they've made. It's a little unpolished, but that actually helps it.

It'd be hard for me to go through every Capcom game I like, but I guess my favorites would include (in no order):

Mega Man: Powered Up
Mega Man 9
Mega Man X (Maverick Hunter X is great too)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Devil May Cry
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Okami

And all of the Ghosts 'n Goblins games are great. I think my favorite might be Goku Makaimura Kai, but I'm only halfway through so I shouldn't speak too soon.

They're really a great company, but it's a shame that they lost Clover.

Hunahan

Banned
woodypop said:
Ha ha! Me, too!

The variety of sprites in Vampire Savior amazes me to no end. I love to pore over the Gamefan Books strategy guide and marvel at all the shocked, burned, various cursed, and win poses. The amount of work put into that game must have been staggering.
What's really amazing is that all of those CPS-era sprite artists seem to have just vanished off of the face of the planet. Where did they even go?

13z0htj.gif

N4Us

Seraphis Cain said:

3DO was pretty popular in Japan for a while, that might've had something to do with it too.

Top Bottom