• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

japtor

I think you're referring to this:

I8YmbEE.jpg

Title starts with a "do" and ends with "n". Looks colorful and in a similar cute-em-up style as Muchi Muchi Pork. It doesn't say anything about it being "Social shooting", they just say it's a new type of shooting game aimed at people in their 30s~40s who have frequented arcades.

They're also making a new smartphone puzzle game aimed at women.
Shmups forum picked up on this: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46618
Ganelon said:
Nobody else has Acrobat? The full title is "Donpachin." This game was supposed to be social shooting so don't expect too much.

donpachin_zps9d628e61.png~original

rancor said:
Its been known about at least since the last matsuri event. Its on the back of all of the SDOJ flyers I've been sending out:

grevpack4.JPG

... Not sure what a "social shooting game" would be.
No clue if they're getting the "social" thing from here, the PDF, or just something from before though.

I ended up getting some more time to play tonight and got the Futari BL Maniac 1CC. Nothing fancy, but I don't have the gaming time that I used to have. I still didn't get the second score extend. I like the scoring system in this one enough, so maybe I'll put some more time into this or try to learn Akai Katana Slash for score.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member
What does Ibara usually go for these days? I just bought it for £40 off eBay. I was just kinda throwing a bid in and didn't actually expect to get it. I know prices have dropped off from the triple digit numbers it use to bring. All the completed listings right now are unsold and were asking for £90+

SOME-MIST

Probably just due to a limited print run and being the only playable home console version. I still want to snag the PCB but I do enjoy the washed out waiting game version of ibara.

That's true. I remember hoping that Cave would release Ibara + Ibara Black Label on 360 after they dug into their back catalog for Mushihimesama and Mushihimesama 1.5.

I got DDP SDOJ at launch but am just trying it out now.

Damn, this is hard. Very intense and generally feels much denser than games like Mushi Futaro or Espgadula II. I played through just I could check out the full game and whoa, does of seem rough.

Any general tips for anyone just starting? This is my first DDP(outside of playing Resurrection once), so I'm not sure if there are any mechanics central to the series I should know about.

Also, is there generally a preferred mode to play?

japtor

I got DDP SDOJ at launch but am just trying it out now.

Damn, this is hard. Very intense and generally feels much denser than games like Mushi Futaro or Espgadula II. I played through just I could check out the full game and whoa, does of seem rough.

Any general tips for anyone just starting? This is my first DDP(outside of playing Resurrection once), so I'm not sure if there are any mechanics central to the series I should know about.

Also, is there generally a preferred mode to play?
For a long time the newest Cave game I played (regularly) was Ketsui or Espgaluda I, and Futari and Esp. II were just as overwhelming to me (haven't put much time into either yet though). SDOJ is still pretty hard but I can regularly get to around the stage 4 mid boss and occasionally main boss at this point.

All I can suggest is to just keep playing, and don't pick the swimsuits. Use auto bomb and just try getting through everything without bombing manually, if nothing else I figure it helps in learning patterns faster without dying as much (or just panic bombing). Along the same vein are the auto bomb and auto hyper options/cheats.

I play 1.5, the changes make it easier to get into and more fun personally, main noticeable change is that hypers build up faster. So you can build up a higher level one faster, or just have more hypers at your disposal for survival uses. I also play Novice occasionally, not too hard to clear with shot/laser, and expert seems like a decent challenge. Only gave it a serious go once or twice and finished somewhere in stage 5.

Himself

AmiAmi is listing Ketsui PS3 as out of stock. Any suggestions where else to look?

Also, how essential is this game? I own every other region-free and domestically released (US) Cave game and it seems with each one I spend less and less time playing. Unless Ketsui is considered incredibly different/important to the Cave ouvre, I may just pass on this one.

For a long time the newest Cave game I played (regularly) was Ketsui or Espgaluda I, and Futari and Esp. II were just as overwhelming to me (haven't put much time into either yet though). SDOJ is still pretty hard but I can regularly get to around the stage 4 mid boss and occasionally main boss at this point.

All I can suggest is to just keep playing, and don't pick the swimsuits. Use auto bomb and just try getting through everything without bombing manually, if nothing else I figure it helps in learning patterns faster without dying as much (or just panic bombing). Along the same vein are the auto bomb and auto hyper options/cheats.

I play 1.5, the changes make it easier to get into and more fun personally, main noticeable change is that hypers build up faster. So you can build up a higher level one faster, or just have more hypers at your disposal for survival uses. I also play Novice occasionally, not too hard to clear with shot/laser, and expert seems like a decent challenge. Only gave it a serious go once or twice and finished somewhere in stage 5.

Thanks. I was playing on Arcade but switched over to 1.5. I didn't even realize picking different outfits did. I like the autobomb option but one of my big faults in playing shmups is my bomb reaction time, or rather, that I have an almost mental block against bombing at times, so when the times comes I just won't react to do it fast enough. It seems like SDOJ is a very bomb-centric game considering the high stock, so I'm keeping it on manual to improve my reaction time, even if it does mean I overbomb.

Stage 1 and 2 seem pretty manageable. Even though I'm messing them up now I don't see them being any real issue. Stage 3 gets into some shit with the giant ship, mid-size enemies and those turrets. And Stage 4. Shit is crazy, but it has such good music that I let myself play up to it after resetting my way through 1-3 and trying to learn bits as I go. SDOJ definitely has one of the better Cave soundtracks I've heard. Up there with Futari and Deathsmiles. Ahh, that makes me want to play some DS. My first Cave game.

I totally want Ketsui just to have it. I got to play it once on a cabinet and it seemed pretty cool, but I had no real idea what the hell I was doing. I don't remember it being a loli-fest, so that's nice.

ATTN: Does anyone know a decent site for HQ Cave art/sprites? I have a project in mind and it'd be a great help.

Tain

AmiAmi is listing Ketsui PS3 as out of stock. Any suggestions where else to look?

Also, how essential is this game? I own every other region-free and domestically released (US) Cave game and it seems with each one I spend less and less time playing. Unless Ketsui is considered incredibly different/important to the Cave ouvre, I may just pass on this one.

Many consider it to still be Cave's best. I think I'm one of them.

SOME-MIST

I also consider it to be one of caves best along with progear (now that I've sunk enough time into the PCB to understand it) :)

kaioshade

How often does AmiAmi get restock or product?

I tried to get it last night, and they said they had it in stock, but its saying out of stock. Should i cancel and get it from somewhere else or should i wait it out?

japtor

Thanks. I was playing on Arcade but switched over to 1.5. I didn't even realize picking different outfits did. I like the autobomb option but one of my big faults in playing shmups is my bomb reaction time, or rather, that I have an almost mental block against bombing at times, so when the times comes I just won't react to do it fast enough. It seems like SDOJ is a very bomb-centric game considering the high stock, so I'm keeping it on manual to improve my reaction time, even if it does mean I overbomb.
I went auto bomb off for a while but kept being late on it which is why I turned it back on. There's some big caveats with it though, with shot your stock is limited at 3 and laser at 2 (and expert at 1 iirc), while if you go auto bomb off the stock increases +1 with the 2nd and 3rd lives I think.

Also when auto bomb gets triggered it clears out the current life's stock and kills your chain, while dying (in auto bomb off at least) just takes a percentage of the chain.

And yes Ketsui is great.

Himself

Many consider it to still be Cave's best. I think I'm one of them.

I also consider it to be one of caves best along with progear (now that I've sunk enough time into the PCB to understand it) :)

Ketsui is awesome. I like a few Cave games a little more, but it's up there.

Urgh. Now I have to hunt one down...
Not that it's a bad thing at all!
I'm on AmiAmi's waiting list. Why doesn't any place have this? Is it because PS3 is more popular in Japan and thus copies of the game are possibly harder to come by?

Too bad Akai Katana and Under Defeat apparently didn't do well enough for Rising Star to bother with this.

Yes Boss!

Urgh. Now I have to hunt one down...
Not that it's a bad thing at all!
I'm on AmiAmi's waiting list. Why doesn't any place have this? Is it because PS3 is more popular in Japan and thus copies of the game are possibly harder to come by?

It is because the game has not even released yet. It comes out tomorrow. All the usual suspects (NCSX, Play-Asia, Amazon.co.jp, Nippon-Yassan, Yes-Asia, etc) have it still up for preorder and release on the 25th.

AmiAmi also still has the Go Big or Go Home LE with the extra preorder disc In Stock for about $100 delivered.

meppi

Just got an email from the Japanese PSN store to say that Ketsui is up for 7,140円. :)

Also got an email from VGI telling me they are expecting the game in today along with a couple of others I've ordered.
I asked to ship everything in a week and a half since that's when my next 2 week vacation starts. Can't wait!

Beckx

So glad this is available digitally. Makes me feel less panic about trying to obtain it quickly and also now that I'm playing everything on a cab I'm addicted to the convenience of a digital library. Probably pick this up September-ish.

Yes Boss!

Lucky bastard. I just got an email from NCSX that UPS forgot the crate on the tarmac in Alaska, and it won't arrive until Monday.

Bummer.

Yeah, I been meaning to go back with NCSX since I'd used them for years (especially so since I'm now in Maryland and it is now one day shipping away) but on a whim I went with AmiAmi a year ago to grab the Persona Arena stick since it was not offered elsewhere. I've stayed with AmiAmi since they are generally lower-priced (Ketsui LE is $101 delivered vs. $120, for example) and I always get my stuff the same time I would with NCSX.

Yes Boss!

They really went bat-shit crazy with this set. I'm just currently listening to the Remix bonus DFKBL Remix album and it is pretty fun! Gonna be going through the rest of the set this weekend.

What a way to finish off the Cave releases this generation!

I'm thinking I'm going to make a weekend TATE setup for this game.

LiK

man, DDP SDOJ LE is still not here. NEVER EVER order anything with Ferry aka SAL Registered from Nippon Yasan. I can't believe it literally takes 2 months. so bad.....

jbueno

Goddamn, that LE Ketsui sure looks hot. Really tempting, hovering over the "Add to cart button" in Play-Asia as I type this.

D7isQWL.jpg

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
They really went bat-shit crazy with this set. I'm just currently listening to the Remix bonus DFKBL Remix album and it is pretty fun! Gonna be going through the rest of the set this weekend.

What a way to finish off the Cave releases this generation!

I'm thinking I'm going to make a weekend TATE setup for this game.
Wow, I didn't even realize there was a Ketsuipachi ST in there. Neat! Pleased I sprung for the LE this time. ...will probably regret it when the price collapses and I haven't spent nearly enough time with the game to have justified my purchase

Yes Boss!

Wow, I didn't even realize there was a Ketsuipachi ST in there. Neat! Pleased I sprung for the LE this time. ...will probably regret it when the price collapses and I haven't spent nearly enough time with the game to have justified my purchase

That is all I've been doing tonight. Listening to the Remix album. Got a bit drunk and went on a long walk to go cheese and indian ingredient shopping (funky stuff when drunk, yeah).

BOTEC

The Ketsuipachi disc is only a pre-order/first print bonus type thing for the LE only. It was why I switched my pre-order from the SE. Now I bet NCSX won't get enough in stock, and I'll get screwed out of mine.

BOTEC

Boss, how's the quality of the captured footage on the Blu-ray? Does it look sharp enough to see individual pixels? Or is it the same old crap image quality from superplay DVD's?

Yes Boss!

Boss, how's the quality of the captured footage on the Blu-ray? Does it look sharp enough to see individual pixels? Or is it the same old crap image quality from superplay DVD's?

I have not put it in yet. Been playing Darius Burst on iOS all morning. Going to check it out in a bit and will let you know...

Here are some screenies. Disc is beautifully produced. Even having a heart-pumping 2 1/2 blu-ray intro clip. I can't see anybody having any issues with the compression quality. Mini map on the side (like the PS2 games) is cool as shit. Lots of content here. Clocks in at 215 minutes, so bollywood or Gone With the Wind length. Each play-through uses a nice sub-menu to quickly skip to parts of a playthrough.

Mine arrived this morning from VGI, I nearly forgot about this till yesterday.

Can't wait, this is a triple dip for me mind - PCB & 360.

Also I have the previous Ketsui superplay with soundtrack, but its all good still.

G6vp9RR.jpg

Top Bottom