• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

BOTEC

Oh I see now, that makes sense.

Everyone seems to agree there should be no deadzone on this stick, so I'm going to try to return it (may have to get ebay involved).

Edit: Just heard back from seller, he says I "may have to tighten it down, but it should be fine since i only played on it an hour total". Not sure what to make of that.

A stick is an investment. I would keep it, as long as the actual enclosure is intact, and the internal circuitry works properly. Get yourself a screw driver, some pliers, and head on over to focusattack.com for a new LS-32-01. Fiddling around with these things is half the fun.

A stick is an investment. I would keep it, as long as the actual enclosure is intact, and the internal circuitry works properly. Get yourself a screw driver, some pliers, and head on over to focusattack.com for a new LS-32-01. Fiddling around with these things is half the fun.

The HRAP EX-SE actually uses an LS-32 not an LS-32-01. The difference is no 5-pin connector. You'll have to de-solder if you want to replace it.

Finally got to play around with Mushimesama HD. It's pretty, and I love some of the screen options they put into it, but I'm going back to Futari.

Visually, I felt like the stages weren't as vibrant as Futari, and weren't distinct from each other. Boss design felt a little lacking as well.

On the gameplay side, again the stages didn't feel very distinct, just more of the same in each level.

Still a great Cave game, but since I still haven't mastered Futari (can only get to Stage 4 on one credit) I don't see myself putting much time into M HD for a while.

Wait, what?

Visually, Mushihimesama is way more unified than its sequel; you are venturing deeper and deeper into the insects' forest, trying to find the cause of them running amok. The stage and boss progression in Futari, on the other hand, makes no fucking sense - you're dropped in a rockside with floating rocks to fight a T-Rex that shoots bullets out of its hands, then suddenly find yourself in a frozen tundra and blast your way through crab monsters to fight a giant floating jellyfish. What?

On the stages not feeling distinct... did you even play Mushihimesama stage 3? It's probably one of Cave's most distinctive stages ever, across all their games.

Beckx

Visually, Mushihimesama is way more unified than its sequel; you are venturing deeper and deeper into the insects' forest, trying to find the cause of them running amok. The stage and boss progression in Futari, on the other hand, makes no fucking sense - you're dropped in a rockside with floating rocks to fight a T-Rex that shoots bullets out of its hands, then suddenly find yourself in a frozen tundra and blast your way through crab monsters to fight a giant floating jellyfish. What?

I'm saying I liked that. :) No accounting for taste, etc.

Edit - I see what you mean about unified. For me, that meant "everything feels the same" whereas I liked Futari's "each stage is different, if batshit insane."

Ra1den

The HRAP EX-SE actually uses an LS-32 not an LS-32-01. The difference is no 5-pin connector. You'll have to de-solder if you want to replace it.

Sounds like more work than I'm up for. Especially considering this guy seems to have straight up lied about the condition of the stick.

edit: posted a video in the arcade stick thread

Zeth

I'm gonna play some Futari tonight. I use a madcatz fightstick with aftermarket buttons and stick. But the stick is definitely a fighter stick. It's a JLF model with a square gate. Would a new Seimitsu stick be much better for shmups? I've done okay with it for a while now, and I've definitely adapted to using an arcade stick.

Edit: it's definitely a Sanwa stick and buttons. Any options that omit soldering? I'm probably willing to solder if necessary. (I don't play fighters much) Bat top or ball top?

SOME-MIST

I'm gonna play some Futari tonight. I use a madcatz fightstick with aftermarket buttons and stick. But the stick is definitely a fighter stick. It's a JLF model with a square gate. Would a new Seimitsu stick be much better for shmups? I've done okay with it for a while now, and I've definitely adapted to using an arcade stick.

Edit: it's definitely a Sanwa stick and buttons. Any options that omit soldering? I'm probably willing to solder if necessary. (I don't play fighters much) Bat top or ball top?
between Sanwa and Seimitsu, it's really all preference - though you'll notice a lot more shmuppers stick to Seimitsu.

andymcc

Banned
On the gameplay side, again the stages didn't feel very distinct, just more of the same in each level.

it's been a few years since I've played the first Mushihimesama but the only stage I can recall is the third one where the entire stage is you flying alongside (and dismantling) a giant bug. i remember the music being pretty rad as hell.

japtor

No, it's the other way around. An analog stick is designed to provide much more information than a classic shmup needs, so you end up doing unnecessary work. When you press left on an analog stick you can choose "how much left" you want to input but the game doesn't need it, it's just left. When I was playing on the 360 pad, in the most frantic moments I used to tilt the analog stick all the way to the left (or right) and it felt sloppy and slow. I also like using my entire left hand to input directions, I feel like I have more control over it. If you're used to play by making only tiny movements with your thumb, it may be different. After all, I managed to 1CC Death Smiles with the 360 pad, so it's not like those games are unplayable with an analog input, it's just that they were designed with digital inputs in mind and so they tend to work better with digital.
I forget which game, but I remember playing with the pad once and being surprised that it had analog control, or probably just directional analog, but still it felt weird.
I figured it's mostly personal preference. Maybe I'll change it up and give the bat top a try.
Definitely preference. I used to play with a big ass Happ stick way back before getting an Astro City and getting used to that...which appeared to come with both a Sanwa and Seimitsu stick, along with a mix of buttons. I just replaced the whole panel (cause it had rust and other cosmetic issues along with old controls) and got all Sanwa just cause it was easier to get. Just swapped in octagonal gates (never did like the squares) and have been fine with it since then.

Beckx

it's been a few years since I've played the first Mushihimesama but the only stage I can recall is the third one where the entire stage is you flying alongside (and dismantling) a giant bug. i remember the music being pretty rad as hell.

I did have sound turned down, need to play again at some point to get the full audio experience, I love the soundtrack.

I'm not saying M HD is terrible, btw, what I'm saying is that it doesn't do it for me as much as Futari does. But you guys all raise some great points that will get my attention when I come back to it.

Which isn't going to happen til I get the damn 1CC in Futari. :|

I did have sound turned down, need to play again at some point to get the full audio experience, I love the soundtrack.

I'm not saying M HD is terrible, btw, what I'm saying is that it doesn't do it for me as much as Futari does. But you guys all raise some great points that will get my attention when I come back to it.

Which isn't going to happen til I get the damn 1CC in Futari. :|

Mushihimesama is way, way easier than Futari. Mushi a (forgiving) maniac shooter, and Futari is a fast paced bullet hell. Mushi has the aesthetics and production values, Futari has the challenge, stage design, and scoring mechanics.

Quality-wise, I'd say Mushi is somewhere in the middle of Cave's line up and Futari is at the top.

jbueno

Mushihimesama is way, way easier than Futari. Mushi a (forgiving) maniac shooter, and Futari is a fast paced bullet hell. Mushi has the aesthetics and production values, Futari has the challenge, stage design, and scoring mechanics.

Quality-wise, I'd say Mushi is somewhere in the middle of Cave's line up and Futari is at the top.

Indeed, I love Futari and it is easily in my Cave's top 3, along with Espgaluda II and DDP Daifukkatsu Black Label. The only exposure I've had to Mushihimesama was the shoddy PS2 port, and besides the nice music the game didn't really click with me, I actually found it boring after the novelty of the game graphics passed out.

Teknoman

Just got around to finally renting Deathsmiles...and its kinda awesome. The soundtrack is really nice, the boss of the graveyard's animation is just...creepy, but the dodging and left/right fire mechanics are taking some getting used to. Not accustom to being able to actually see your hitbox/ being able to touch bullets without dying.

So many different versions included in one game too.

I've really neglected Deathsmiles. When it came out, my friend and I credit fed through it to see the story and that's about it. I've probably listened to the AST more than playing the game itself.

I've really neglected Deathsmiles. When it came out, my friend and I credit fed through it to see the story and that's about it. I've probably listened to the AST more than playing the game itself.

Play 1.1 and Black Label 1.1. Totally awesome variations that are among some of CAVE's best arrange modes.

Do not play vanilla and normal Black Label. Although they have their appeal, the scoring systems are puzzle-based and require very strict timing.

Yes Boss!

Never really played Deathsmiles either. Put some good time in on IIX, though. And DS iOS is easily my most played iOS game by a long shot.

Guiz

Play 1.1 and Black Label 1.1. Totally awesome variations that are among some of CAVE's best arrange modes.

Do not play vanilla and normal Black Label. Although they have their appeal, the scoring systems are puzzle-based and require very strict timing.

1.1 BL is my favorite mode of the game by far. Even if you're not playing perfectly well, you can make a pretty decent score easily.

Speaking of Deathsmiles, I just noticed that 2X was available as Game on demand on the US Store.
Do you know if I can download the game with an EU xbox ? I tried with my EU account on the website and it didn't work.
Do I have to create a US account or it won't work anyway?

Speaking of Deathsmiles, I just noticed that 2X was available as Game on demand on the US Store.
Do you know if I can download the game with an EU xbox ? I tried with my EU account on the website and it didn't work.
Do I have to create a US account or it won't work anyway?

You will certainly need a US account to make the purchase. Furthermore, being Games on Demand, it might be IP locked, so you would have to purchase and download from an IP within the US if so.

Guiz

You will certainly need a US account to make the purchase. Furthermore, being Games on Demand, it might be IP locked, so you would have to purchase and download from an IP within the US if so.

Thanks for the advice, but apparently Microsoft check if you're using a VPN too. So I think that the only thing that left is hoping that Cave or Rising Star Game will release the game for EU one day.

Ra1den

Alright going to probably order a new J360 tomorrow from HMV! Anyone got a read on how fast things get to the US from them?

I'm jelly...you should go for that massive Cave bundle coming out soon. I'd be all over that if I didn't already have most of the games(and had a J360). Just be aware that some games are missing(most notably Ketsui).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm jelly...you should go for that massive Cave bundle coming out soon. I'd be all over that if I didn't already have most of the games(and had a J360). Just be aware that some games are missing(most notably Ketsui).

Yeah I wasn't planning on buying any of the games that came in the bundle that I didn't have already. (Have DeathSmiles, Espgaluda II, and Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou BL Extra.)

Yes Boss!

Alright going to probably order a new J360 tomorrow from HMV! Anyone got a read on how fast things get to the US from them?

Well UPS and Fedex are often 24 hours (since you are going back in time). Shit arrives quick. Maybe 48 hours max. EMS a bit longer. 3-4 days.

Have fun! J-360 is the best investment this generation!

danmaku

Sounds like they are really close to Microsoft, people still asking for PS3 ports should just give up. PC market could work for them, but they would need to lower their prices. No way you can sell a full priced shmup on PC.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I got the 360 and Senko no Ronde Duo in the cart right now! Anything I'm missing that isn't going to be in the CAVE pack? (Already have Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou BL Extra, DeathSmiles, and Espgaluda II.)

Guiz

Well I got the 360 and Senko no Ronde Duo in the cart right now! Anything I'm missing that isn't going to be in the CAVE pack? (Already have Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou BL Extra, DeathSmiles, and Espgaluda II.)

Mushihime Sama is mentionned in the cave collection but it doesn't say if it's Mushihime sama HD or not.
You can still go for Ketsui which is not included in the collection for sure.

BriBri

So does anyone with an iPad 2, 3 or 4 AND an iPad Mini say which is the best pad for Cave and Cave-esque shooters? Thanks.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Friend says they'll sell me their copy of Ketsui and IM@S Live for You! I just need to pick out a stick or pad to use and I'll be good.

EDIT: Bah I was told they'd ship out to the US themselves.

This order includes items which are prohibition of export.

EDIT2: Friend found me a good deal on an Asian model so I should have my new 360 by the end of the week!

Just got #1 on the Futari God Mode leaderboards. I've been working on this for a few months so I'm pretty happy right now~

XRwSu.jpg

Now I hope NAK will turn on his Xbox some day and upload a really godlike 6+ billion run.

Top Bottom