• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

shaowebb

SNR1 got released in the US and bomba'd down to $10 in less than a year because Ubisoft is terrible and who in their right mind would pay $60 for a shit localization like that.

DUO is region locked for god knows what reason. GRev claimed certification differences between regions when I emailed them about it (you can even read the thread where I found out about it lol).

Sucks that Duo is locked, but is the first one that came over playable or not? Whats wrong with it?

Also on a side note Im dropping almost every game Im playing now trying to get those 200million points on Akai Katana Origin mode. God damn that mode is a different beast than Slash. I keep getting a buttload of points and then finding that without katanas to save me between modes I don't know where ANY safe zones are anymore to position in to set back up. I think I'll switch to the 3rd ship Shion for the spread.

Sucks that Duo is locked, but is the first one that came over playable or not? Whats wrong with it?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the original Senko no Ronde or its localization. I think the problem was more the target audience for the game simply doesn't exist in large numbers over here - the reviews on Amazon are a painful reminder of that.

Duo is the sequel, and from what I've heard, an improvement over the original.

shaowebb

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the original Senko no Ronde or its localization. I think the problem was more the target audience for the game simply doesn't exist in large numbers over here - the reviews on Amazon are a painful reminder of that.

Duo is the sequel, and from what I've heard, an improvement over the original.

So no reason not to pick it up to try out later with my friends locally then? Cool. I'll try to nab it up after the holidays so I dont get distracted from Origin mode. Till now all I'd mainly done is Slash mode. I think I had only popped Origin on maybe once during the first week or so and its a whole new game again trying to grind that 200 mill for that artbook.

My main beefs was the lack of content (we're talking on the order of vanilla Skullgirls barebones) and that Ubisoft's idea of a localization was just to translate the menus and subtitle story mode dialog. And considering a lot of dialogue happens during matches where you're too busy worrying about not dying...

But yeah worth picking up for $10.

cuilan

As you can probably guess by my username and avatar, I'm a big fan of Senko no Ronde. If anyone wants to play, either Rev.X or DUO, hit me up on XBL.

DUO is the better of the two overall, but it's not flawless and there are some aspects of Rev.X that I prefer. DUO is definitely better for beginners though.

According to the Cave blog (http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/), the Cave Shooting collection for the JP X360 will be released in February. Each game will have a full color picture label on the game disc and all of the discs will be presented in a single collection box (so, no individual DVD case for each game). Preorders will close in mid-January, and they'll just print up enough to fill the preorders and apparently that will be it.

Glad to hear that the games will be on separate discs. I was afraid that they'd try to squeeze all the games together into as few discs as possible.

The Amazon listing for the collection has also been updated.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00AE12R1K/

It looks like DFK and DFK BL will be on separate discs. Oddly, MMP + PS and Akai Katana Shin are shown as if they'd be on the same disc, but it's probably an error. Guwange won't be on a disc, and instead be a download code (wonder if it'll be redeemable on non-JP accounts...), and there is further confirmation that all of the DLC will be on a separate install disc.

Yes Boss!

So going by the new Amazon.jp listing (using translate) the box breaks down like this?

1) Deathsmiles
2) Deathsmiles 2X
3) Mushihimesama
4) Mushihimesama Futari
5) Dondonpachi Daifukatsu
6) Dondonpachi Daifukatsu BL (Ketsuipatchi?)
7) Espgaluda II
8) Akai Katana Shin
9) MMP/Pink Sweets

1) Deathsmiles Official DVD
2) Muhihimesama Futari Official DVD
3) Futari BL and Deathsmiles MBL Official DVD
4) Espgaluda II Official DVD
5) Dodonpachi Daifukatsu Official DVD
6) Dondonpachi Daifukatsu BL Official DVD
7) Akai Katana Shin Official DVD

Download Code for Guwange

Install disk with ALL first-print bonus downloads

Book

SOME-MIST

I'd guess that everything that's already region-free will be region-free, and deathsmiles IIX, mushihimesama, akai katana shin, and dodonpachi daifukkatsu bl won't be... but then again, if MMP/PS and AKS are on one disc, I have no idea how part of it would be locked and the other part region-free.

I kinda want it for the book and a disc with all first print bonus downloads although I already have all the first print bonus downloads :O

Zissou

So going by the new Amazon.jp listing (using translate) the box breaks down like this?

1) Deathsmiles
2) Deathsmiles 2X
3) Mushihimesama
4) Mushihimesama Futari
5) Dondonpachi Daifukatsu
6) Dondonpachi Daifukatsu BL (Ketsuipatchi?)
7) Espgaluda II
8) Akai Katana Shin
9) MMP/Pink Sweets

1) Deathsmiles Official DVD
2) Muhihimesama Futari Official DVD
3) Futari BL and Deathsmiles MBL Official DVD
4) Espgaluda II Official DVD
5) Dodonpachi Daifukatsu Official DVD
6) Dondonpachi Daifukatsu BL Official DVD
7) Akai Katana Shin Official DVD

Download Code for Guwange

Install disk with ALL first-print bonus downloads

Book

Dayum. It's time to sell all my cave shooters and preorder this.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
PSU still isn't in and I'm going nuts. x:

Bought this while cursing USPS.
3i8zn.png

Interesting that everything in the box is either region free or available in the west besides Mushihime-sama. Maybe there's a localization planned for it?

jlevel13

Any idea why several Cave games have been removed the (UK) App Store/iTunes?

Maybe it's related to Openfient servers being shut down breaking the games? Just a guess. I noticed the other day a couple of their titles were updated to remove openfient - perhaps the other titles were taken down until they can fix them too...

BOTEC

WASi303 is a pretty cool guy. He made Psyvariar 2 and doesn't afraid of anything. He thinks that dudes who dig his stuff are pretty cool too, so he decided to release a six track EP of some (re)remixes of his work on DODONPACHI MAXIMUM, called MBS Ver2.02 Soundtrack. It's pretty neat, and free, and will be available until December 31st via famitsu.com.

http://famitsu.jp/sp/dodonpachi/dl.php

Here's also a big ass interview with the guy on Famitsu.com's dedicated app portal.

http://app.famitsu.com/20121221_116078/

The fact the Famitsu has a dedicated app portal fills me with profound sadness. But hey, them's the times we live in.

Those .mp3 files have no ID3 tag info, or clever names, so I decided to pretty them up a bit with proper metadata. I'm sharing the archive via Google Drive, which I've never used before, so let me know if I fucked anything up. This file will be available until Google shuts me down for TOS violations.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8iQQ5ml7GhLWXY3ZEs3aXA4VkU/edit

(Too bad Google throws up that virus warning. I can guarantee you that it's 100% safe and malware free. I work as a computer technician as my 9-5 and cleaning up and securing people's PC's is a huge part of my workload. I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.)

Kraftwerk

So I played dodonpachi maximum on my iPhone and loved it.

Since there is a cave sale right now, I would like to take advantage of it.

Recommend me 2 must haves.

shaowebb

I found out you can download a free program called bluestacks that lets you access and use appstore stuff from your PC. Since I don't have access to the Cave store for the sale I was hyped for this, but I can't find their titles. Anyone know if this or some other similar program will allow me to access the cave store game apps from my PC and play them?

5amshift

Banned
So I'm fairly certain I'm getting an X360 for the Holidays and the one thing I'm pumped for is the sh'mups I've been missing out on all these years. I already own Ibara and Mushihimesama on PS2 for the longest time and wanted to jump into Deathsmiles, ESPgaluda, and Mushihimesama for the console. Where is a good place to pick the games up for cheap if anybody knows.

Also, are all the JP sh'mups region free? I remember knowing that a few are them definitely are.
In the OP it would be great listing what systems the games are for, as well as what region they are available to play on.

braves01

Banned
So I played dodonpachi maximum on my iPhone and loved it.

Since there is a cave sale right now, I would like to take advantage of it.

Recommend me 2 must haves.

Espgaluda 2 (my personal fave)

Bug Princess 2

Dodonpachi Resurrection

Pick two, you really can't go wrong.

So I'm fairly certain I'm getting an X360 for the Holidays and the one thing I'm pumped for is the sh'mups I've been missing out on all these years. I already own Ibara and Mushihimesama on PS2 for the longest time and wanted to jump into Deathsmiles, ESPgaluda, and Mushihimesama for the console. Where is a good place to pick the games up for cheap if anybody knows.

Also, are all the JP sh'mups region free? I remember knowing that a few are them definitely are.
In the OP it would be great listing what systems the games are for, as well as what region they are available to play on.

There are more region locked releases that region free releases, but between the region free releases and US/EU releases you can get most of what's come out so far. Mushihimesama HD is one of the ones you can't get without owning a Japanese 360 though.

5amshift

Banned
There are more region locked releases that region free releases, but between the region free releases and US/EU releases you can get most of what's come out so far. Mushihimesama HD is one of the ones you can't get without owning a Japanese 360 though.

Would you happen to know a list of all X360 releases that are out right now and what can be played on a NTSC-U console?

shaowebb

So is anyone else trying out app store PC devices to see if they can grab cave games for mobile to play on PC? Im still trying to find a way to make this work since I don't bother with the whole phone craze due to it being an unnecessary expense in my situation.

DESTROYA

Is there a IOS cave section or something at the APP store? I love there games but unless you type inthe specific name of gamed it's a little hard finding them.
Or someone can just list all the Cave games for IOS or Android.

Never mind:

http://www.cave-world.com/en/

jlevel13

Would you happen to know a list of all X360 releases that are out right now and what can be played on a NTSC-U console?

Region free Japanese releases...
Muchi Muchu Pork / Pink Sweets
Espgaluda II
Mushihimesama Futari

Region free UK release
Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu

US releases
Death Smiles
Akai Katana

Downloadable
Death Smiles 2
Guwange

Region Locked japanese releases
(not available elsewhere yet)

Ketsui
Mushihime-sama
Do Don Pachi Daifukkatsu Black Label

shaowebb

OMG I can use bluestacks to play Cave games on the app store from my Computer! Grabbing Espgaluda now for $5 instead of for $50-ish since my disc was bad last time. Now if this program gets I-cade support I can use a stick as well. That is if the app version was controller compatible at least...

Is there a cave store bundle for the app store or just the normal sale stuff?

EDIT: Wow multitouch games like espgaluda are harsh dancing from the steering to the buttons at the bottom, but its is SUPER tight on the steering. Like better than a stick IMO. Im going to see if multitouch is available for this via a combination of WASD and mouse. If it isn't bluestacks is in beta and Espgaluda is now something I own via my google account and G GEE thingy so I'll always have it for the day I do need a smartphone or for when bluestacks gets multitouch settled. In any case this thing is pretty amazing. Other than the autofire thing how is this different than the console version?

Wow multitouch games like espgaluda are harsh dancing from the steering to the buttons at the bottom, but its is SUPER tight on the steering. Like better than a stick IMO. Im going to see if multitouch is available for this via a combination of WASD and mouse. If it isn't bluestacks is in beta and Espgaluda is now something I own via my google account and G GEE thingy so I'll always have it for the day I do need a smartphone or for when bluestacks gets multitouch settled. In any case this thing is pretty amazing. Other than the autofire thing how is this different than the console version?

The smartphone versions are essentially different games because all limits on character movement are removed, pretty much throwing game balance out the window.

Zeth

Finally unlocked the final stage in DDP Maximum. Any tips for scoring? Is the Akai Katana plane a high scorer? Any use for bombs in scoring?

Yes Boss!

Finally unlocked the final stage in DDP Maximum. Any tips for scoring? Is the Akai Katana plane a high scorer? Any use for bombs in scoring?

Akai Katana ship is key...fastest recharge rate. Bomb every opportunity you get initially then learn bit by bit if waiting a second or two or three before bombing to get that chain up to 9999 as often and as quick as possible. Key is the red-tower sequence...where you will make most of your money.

Wish there were replays. The top scores are 40-50 Billion now.

Zeth

Awesome, I'm gonna give it a shot tonight. Firepower just feels pretty weak after using laser and lock-on type to clear most of the game. But I want to go back and increase all my scores now.

5amshift

Banned
Just picked up DDP Resurrection and just played a quick game of it and I'm LOVING IT. Just played Novice, but going to try X360 mode when I have more time.

Top Bottom