• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

It's a really good time, though the fest seems to be in a weird transitional phase right now. It kept getting bigger for a while but this year they scaled it back. Outside portion is gone, bands now don't start until 3 (it started around noon on weekends in previous years) also seems like headliners are scaled back. Thought Emperor would be a lock for this year with them reuniting for select dates but nope

Aside from seeing ANB, Insect Warfare, and Morbid Angel on Saturday night this was probably the weakest I've been to lineup-wise. But I think I actually had the best time out of my 5 years attending. Granted, I go with a pretty large group and we generally have like 20+ people we know from the Chicago area attending. I was feeling really meh on the lineup before going and I can't say going really changed that. I guess it's a good problem to have when the list of bands you actually haven't seen keeps shrinking but it definitely makes the lineup less appealing.

Worst part about this year was the time overlaps and delays completely ruining the schedule. They already had a pretty dumb schedule between the two venues with stages overlapping by like 10/15 minutes (and it's a 5 minute walk across the block, not including lines) but the second venue was running 20 minutes late on multiple days. Pretty stupid

Can't say I miss the outside portion, if they iron out timing/overlap issues I'm all for it. I'd just like the lineups to be a bit more interesting because the main appeal has always been "see bands you can't see anywhere else" and it sucks when I've already seen them and they're pretty much all coming to Chicago

c33gPYE.png

made this pic mainly as a joke for another thread, but I thought it looked cool enough to post. Also a preview for another vinyl pickups post.

I was feeling really meh on the lineup before going and I can't say going really changed that. I guess it's a good problem to have when the list of bands you actually haven't seen keeps shrinking but it definitely makes the lineup less appealing.
They've basically already booked every realistic option for bands people would want to see.

I'll go regardless next year, but hopefully they finally get Viscera Infest (and lose a bunch of money in the process).

They've basically already booked every realistic option for bands people would want to see.

I'll go regardless next year, but hopefully they finally get Viscera Infest (and lose a bunch of money in the process).
I just want Jig-Ai

The two bands I'd like who have eluded MDF booking (that seem reasonable) are Jig-Ai and Krypts. Though based on my luck from past years they'd probably play at the same time.... I'm legit surprised about Krypts because Ram's Head dorks would eat that shit up

For a while they were making dreams come true every year with Lycanthrophy, Afternoon Gentlemen, etc. Insect Warfare was that this year but that doesn't count since they disappeared for 10 years. Haha

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Saw Insect Warfare tonight and it was probably the best show I have seen since "Nasum" in 2012. Soooo goood.
Whaaa they're around again? Didn't they split up? New album? Zomg!
After Human 2.0, World Extermination is the best grind album of the 2000s.

Whaaa they're around again? Didn't they split up? New album? Zomg!
After Human 2.0, World Extermination is the best grind album of the 2000s.
They reunited only to play Obscene Extreme 2016, and that's it, forever, for real

They also played like 5 other shows

Sounds like they are done after their limited run this year, but who knows at this point.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
They reunited only to play Obscene Extreme 2016, and that's it, forever, for real

They also played like 5 other shows

Sounds like they are done after their limited run this year, but who knows at this point.
;_;
My hopes were raised and dashed quite expertly.

I just want Jig-Ai

The two bands I'd like who have eluded MDF booking (that seem reasonable) are Jig-Ai and Krypts. Though based on my luck from past years they'd probably play at the same time.... I'm legit surprised about Krypts because Ram's Head dorks would eat that shit up
They booked Jig-Ai in 2009, actually. They played the festival and also the pre-fest with Ghoul. MDF also booked a spin-off fest the week before in Brooklyn that year, and Jig-Ai played that as well. Needless to say, they were fucking nuts live. They definitely need to come back finally.

They booked Jig-Ai in 2009, actually. They played the festival and also the pre-fest with Ghoul. MDF also booked a spin-off fest the week before in Brooklyn that year, and Jig-Ai played that as well. Needless to say, they were fucking nuts live. They definitely need to come back finally.
Yeah, I've only been going since 2013. There's plenty of others from before I regrettably missed (Exhorder is a big one)

Any Mutoid Man fans here?

Some of the new stuff is great, there's even a power ballad.
http://www.stereogum.com/1941258/mutoid-man-bandages-feat-chelsea-wolfe/premiere/

Full album streaming now :) I love it! Can't decide what's my favourite song...Like Bleeder this one just works as a whole!
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/mutoid-man-war-moans-album-stream

My contender for AOTY right there. Not everyone's taste, I'm sure but it just kicks ass is such a positive way.

Melchiah

Wonder if they will ever create athletic leggings for men in Metal, that would be pretty cool as well.

Though I'm pretty sure they do.

A male friend of mine who went at MDF bought some Malignancy leggings for himself LOL. He's pretty skinny though, and still wore large. Dude gives no fucks.

That reminds me of the idea of making "Grey Skin" titled pantyhose merchandise, with a crescent moon on the ankle, for my former band. Too bad that never came to being. =)

A male friend of mine who went at MDF bought some Malignancy leggings for himself LOL. He's pretty skinny though, and still wore large. Dude gives no fucks.
Random fact: there was a guy selling "100% Pedophilia" sweatpants at MDF years ago (for the band Purulent). And yes, people bought them.

Out of boredom, my unrealstic hopes for Soundstage/MDF 2018:

Carcass (doing "Symphonies of Sickness"), Cock And Ball Torture, Disgorge (Mexico), Viscera Infest, Phrenelith, Lord Gore, Pregnancy, Biological Monstrosity, Acid Feast, Reeking Cross

Assück, Disfear, Capitalist Casualties, Wormrot, Looking For An Answer, Gronibard, Flesh Parade, Sex Prisoner, Grotesque Organ Defilement, Durian

Dead Cross, Naked City, Melt-Banana, Carpenter Brut, Agents of Abhorrence, Brutal Blues, Umbilical Tentacle, Child Abuse, Radiation Blackbody, Stimulant

I got dangerously excited for the new Phobia from the first couple of tracks, checked out the full album and ehhhh. It's good but it's certainly a Phobia album

Out of boredom, my unrealstic hopes for Soundstage/MDF 2018:

Carcass (doing "Symphonies of Sickness"), Cock And Ball Torture, Disgorge (Mexico), Viscera Infest, Phrenelith, Lord Gore, Pregnancy, Biological Monstrosity, Acid Feast, Reeking Cross

Assück, Disfear, Capitalist Casualties, Wormrot, Looking For An Answer, Gronibard, Flesh Parade, Sex Prisoner, Grotesque Organ Defilement, Durian

Dead Cross, Naked City, Melt-Banana, Carpenter Brut, Agents of Abhorrence, Brutal Blues, Umbilical Tentacle, Child Abuse, Radiation Blackbody, Stimulant
Carpenter Brut is likely, seems like the MDF guys are all in on the synthwave hotness. Though it seems like they'll be touring frequently now so who knows (not that that affected their booking this year, lol)

As far as wishlists go.... Stuff I want to see/have seen that would be dope as hell:

Ram's Head:
Gorgoroth, Vio-Lence (don't care just figure it out, vocals + drums with guests), Revenge I guess?

Soundstage:
Jig-Ai, Archagathus, Cloud Rat, Coke Bust, Excruciating Terror, Skitsystem, Agathocles, Kromosom, Warwound, fuck it Regurgitate reunion or something. They're running out of dream headliners lol. Idk get Sacrilege to do another reunion set of classic material, they still sound super rad

Soundstage thursday brutal death special:
Cephalotripsy, Parasitic Ejaculation, Devourment, Aborted. (I actually think some form of this is likely). Wouldn't mind Dying Fetus as a headliner, they obviously tour a lot but they're local and are the only "old MDF" band that haven't played in years. Would be fun at Soundstage (plus it's the only thing they play on the PA, may as well just book them)

Ohnonono

I got dangerously excited for the new Phobia from the first couple of tracks, checked out the full album and ehhhh. It's good but it's certainly a Phobia album

Carpenter Brut is likely, seems like the MDF guys are all in on the synthwave hotness. Though it seems like they'll be touring frequently now so who knows (not that that affected their booking this year, lol)

As far as wishlists go.... Stuff I want to see/have seen that would be dope as hell:

Ram's Head:
Gorgoroth, Vio-Lence (don't care just figure it out, vocals + drums with guests), Revenge I guess?

Soundstage:
Jig-Ai, Archagathus, Cloud Rat, Coke Bust, Excruciating Terror, Skitsystem, Agathocles, Kromosom, Warwound, fuck it Regurgitate reunion or something. They're running out of dream headliners lol. Idk get Sacrilege to do another reunion set of classic material, they still sound super rad

Soundstage thursday brutal death special:
Cephalotripsy, Parasitic Ejaculation, Devourment, Aborted. (I actually think some form of this is likely). Wouldn't mind Dying Fetus as a headliner, they obviously tour a lot but they're local and are the only "old MDF" band that haven't played in years. Would be fun at Soundstage (plus it's the only thing they play on the PA, may as well just book them)

Revenge is a good pull. I would love to see them.

Toxi

Banned

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I need some new video game soundtracks, what are your favorites I should check out?
I don't know which ones you already have/heard but here are those I own and my absolute favourites:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Bloodborne
Final Fantasy Tactics
Wild ARMs: Complete Tracks
Wild ARMs: Alter Code F
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Genso Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia
Genso Suikogaiden vol. 2: Last Duel at the Crystal Valley
Jamestown
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Final Fantasy IV
Shining Force II: Symphonic Suite
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Dark Souls III

Games whose music I greatly enjoy but don't have the OST (yet):

Pretty much every Ys game
Soul Blade
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (I don't think the OST exists, only for MH Tri, but 3U added more tracks which are among the best ones, so I'd want that!)
F-Zero X: Guitar Arrange
Guilty Gear XX
Astal
Alundra
The Witcher III

Most of these OSTs should be on Youtube, and one of them has a bandcamp.

Phew, that's a lot. Well, I can do a genre/mood breakdown if you want more details, as these soundtracks greatly vary in style. But you like metal and/or dark music, I absolutely recommend SotN, Bloodborne, and GGXX.

That should keep me busy for quite a while, thanks! Symphony of the Night of course is the soundtrack that I'm most familiar with, still one of the best soundtracks ever and pretty much flawless. I gotta check out the Souls soundtracks, and Bloodbone as well.

I've been wanting to get FFVI via iTunes, I'll probably end up doing that soon.

Don't worry about a breakdown, I'll be able to get the moods from the soundtracks myself.

EDIT: I picked a random soundtrack and F-Zero X was the soundtrack. This is some pretty awesome Metal.

fallout

The Super Hexagon soundtrack is sublime.

In addition to the other classics mentioned, I've always been a fan of the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross soundtracks (the latter, in particular).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Chrono Trigger has a great soundtrack, but I never understood the massive boner the Internet has for Chrono Cross', other than the title track. <shrugs> Every time someone tries to convince me it's great and posts song samples, it's always coma-inducing stuff. xD

Chrono Trigger has a great soundtrack, but I never understood the massive boner the Internet has for Chrono Cross', other than the title track. <shrugs> Every time someone tries to convince me it's great and posts song samples, it's always coma-inducing stuff. xD

Oh yeah, I can think of plenty of soundtracks in gaming that tend to bore me despite how much people love it. Bastion's soundtrack and Hotline Miami's OST.....I just don't get the appeal.

On the topic of Mitsuda, I still need to listen to Xenogears OST. A lot of these JRPG games I've actually never played but fuck I'll listen to the soundtracks anyway (given how little free time I have, I won't be playing them anytime soon).

Top Bottom