• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Ravager61

Just ran across this album while browsing Twitter

a0496691427_16.jpg

Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna

https://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/album/oltreluna

Crazy technical black metal. Maybe a bit like Spectral Lore. It's fucking awesome.

RDreamer

I just finished another listen and the last song is such a jam. There isn't a whole lot of vocals so the album is basically instrumental anyway. They do have that blues band feel like their way better live and that a cd can only capture so much of. Fun fact, I can't sit and listen to blues or even jazz off a disc but I love that shit live. There's just something in it that needs that live setting so I can see Elder being the same.

The way they mix the album right now seems kind of "live." I mean obviously it's not actually live but I think it does a pretty great job of getting that across in a way studio albums don't really.

I definitely wouldn't get rid of the vocals. They really add a lot and make me want to belt out the lyrics with them. Live they're probably pretty awesome, too.

lordxar

The way they mix the album right now seems kind of "live." I mean obviously it's not actually live but I think it does a pretty great job of getting that across in a way studio albums don't really.

I definitely wouldn't get rid of the vocals. They really add a lot and make me want to belt out the lyrics with them. Live they're probably pretty awesome, too.

Yea vocals are integral for me for most songs in general. I like instrumentals but shit gets old after a while with no vox and a whole album really pushes it. And a very big yes to this sounding live. I've been jamming this a good part of the day and it's pretty bad ass. Really grown on me. That let's just fucking jam vibe is strong.

Edit: It just hit me Elder feels like a metal version of Widespread Panic. My dad gave me some of their stuff to check out and this jam style feels like that to me.

sgjackson

So I've been working on learning to play guitar for about a year and a half now, and I've recently picked up some stuff to start learning how to record. First decent effort is a death metal song (sans vocals because those are actually hard to do well), figured I'd see what you guys think. https://youtu.be/Vp_RKsNJAPM

There's definitely a bunch of stuff I'm going to do better next time, but I'm sitting on some cool riffs and wanted to move onto the next project and apply the lessons I've learned there.

So I've been working on learning to play guitar for about a year and a half now, and I've recently picked up some stuff to start learning how to record. First decent effort is a death metal song (sans vocals because those are actually hard to do well), figured I'd see what you guys think. https://youtu.be/Vp_RKsNJAPM

There's definitely a bunch of stuff I'm going to do better next time, but I'm sitting on some cool riffs and wanted to move onto the next project and apply the lessons I've learned there.
For a first attempt it's alright. Some of the ideas work out fine but if you were going for a "song" it really isn't that cohesive outside of the main part that repeats at the end

I also would've had some drums in the opening slow part, just guitar alone is awkward and only makes it seem more disjointed when the next part comes in

Sounds like you're using EZ Drummer, works well enough and whatever you're using for the guitar sounds decent enough (VST I assume?)

Best advice I can give is don't try to do too much in one song. If you have one good idea in mind just work on branching that idea off into the rest of the song. Otherwise if you're just stitching together different ideas that's exactly how it'll come out

It can be tempting to just put together all of your cool riffs in one song but then you run the risk of trying to force the song to get there (which again, can come off in an unnatural way)

Generally when practicing I'm just constantly playing random improvised whatever, to the point where once I actually stumble upon something worth developing I can kind of feel out what I think should come next. Don't know your process but yea

Keep working at it. Whatever you're working on, just think to yourself "would I listen to this?" Because if you wouldn't, there's no reason to ever expect anyone else to

sgjackson

thanks for the input (it's totally ezdrummer and the guitars are bias fx)

the original song idea was "do something cool with the first and second riff after the intro", which is what i came up with when fucking around. this is what came out of that. i wasn't really sure how to do drums under the intro, which is why it's just guitars.

i think the main thing that makes it feel disjointed is the middle - it kinda sticks out from the rest. the original idea was sort of a gojira-esque slower thing using triplets, but i played it faster than i originally intended and got married to my solo since i kinda liked it.

i also have zero idea if i'd listen to this at this point because i've been exposed to this too much :V

Got see Mutoid Man and Helm Alee in Baltimore last night. Great show. The new Mutoid stuff is killer live. Anyone else gonna catch a show on this tour?

If you can get over the shit production the new Suffocation album has some pretty great riffs.

0:00-0:52 great stuff
0:52-1:09 not feeling it
1:10 that solo feels like it came out of nowhere.
1:46 the ending of the solo into this riff was pretty good
2:23 once again this part rules
ending riff was alright

Basically I liked the parts that sounded like Dismember and didn't like the parts that didn't sound like Dismember. Not too shabby for your first song! And pretty impressive if you've only been playing guitar for a year and a half. Keep it up!

I've played bass guitar for over 10 years and I've never recorded anything lol

So a youtube comment in one of the Ancient Rites albums mentioned Bal Sagoth 'Starfire Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Throne Of Ultima Thule'.

R-384280-1124207802.jpg.jpg

Confession: I had no idea. How has this not been one of my favorite albums all these years. It's like one of the most perfect albums I've ever heard. It's still heads above any other Symphonic BM out there today other than maybe Carach Angren 'Death Came Through a Phantom Ship', and Ultima Thule came out 20+ years ago. It still sounds cutting edge today. The song with the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack is too good.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I gave the new Elder several listens (even though I was consumed by Loss these last few days) and I like what I'm hearing. Gotta say I like them more on the heavier side of Lore and earlier, but I can dig the jammy atmosphere they're going for now. Nice summer album, will grow for sure.
Now back to Loss >:[[[

Bitanator

Any good Doom Metal come out recently? Or something that has its roots deep in Type O Negative influence would be great too

KXmpIxh.png

Morbid Angel (FL) - Altars of Madness (Earache; Century Media 2015)
Morbid Angel (FL) - Blessed Are the Sick (Earache; Century Media 2015)

called in sick today so I will be eating an extra large bowl of pho and listening to savage death metal in bed. I felt weird about going for the FDR Altars without Lord of All Fevers and Plague, and knowing Earache they'll release an FDR version with it included. Blessed FDR is coming in August.

for those unaware, Earache has a USA webstore though everything is still shipped from the UK. It just makes it convenient for us. You can see from their pre-order items that a ton of good FDR reissues are coming. World Downfall, FEtO, War Master, Left Hand Path, etc.

it was I think the second death metal album I fully absorbed as a high schooler and I was pretty enamored with it. I would listen to Suffocation on repeat. The break with the solo bass line is fucking perfect. Maybe my favorite song on the album.

I am appreciating Blessed a lot more these days. Despite my initially finding it a chore to get through, there's no denying that it, too, is a monument in death metal.

choodi

Banned
So a youtube comment in one of the Ancient Rites albums mentioned Bal Sagoth 'Starfire Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Throne Of Ultima Thule'.

R-384280-1124207802.jpg.jpg

Confession: I had no idea. How has this not been one of my favorite albums all these years. It's like one of the most perfect albums I've ever heard. It's still heads above any other Symphonic BM out there today other than maybe Carach Angren 'Death Came Through a Phantom Ship', and Ultima Thule came out 20+ years ago. It still sounds cutting edge today. The song with the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack is too good.

Best song titles ever too. Maybe only surpassed by the titles on the first album.

1. "Black Dragons Soar Above the Mountain of Shadows (Prologue)" 03:05
2. "To Dethrone the Witch-Queen of Mytos K'unn (The Legend of the Battle of Blackhelm Vale)" 06:45
3. "As the Vortex Illumines the Crystalline Walls of Kor-Avul-Thaa" 06:35
4. "Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule" 07:23
5. "Journey to the Isle of Mists (Over the Moonless Depths of Night-Dark Seas)" 01:11
6. "The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire" 06:03
7. "And Lo, When the Imperium Marches Against Gul-Kothoth, Then Dark Sorceries Shall Enshroud the Citadel of the Obsidian Crown (Episode: VIII)" 06:28
8. "Summoning the Guardians of the Astral Gate" 06:09
9. "In the Raven-Haunted Forests of Darkenhold, Where Shadows Reign and the Hues of Sunlight Never Dance" 06:29
10. "At the Altar of the Dreaming Gods (Epilogue)" 02:29

Holy shit am I hyped for the new Iced Earth album. I guess I don't know their old stuff as I hopped on board with Plagues of Babylon, but as a continuation of that sound, it's exactly what I want.

sgjackson

it's hilarious you cited dismember because the stuff you liked in this song basically came out of me finding the hm2 model in amplitube and fucking around for a couple of hours and going "dude, this sounds like fucking sunlight studios shit". i ended up not using the tone i was playing with, but it was definitely inspiring and made me want to pick up an actual hm2.

Spwn

Holy shit am I hyped for the new Iced Earth album. I guess I don't know their old stuff as I hopped on board with Plagues of Babylon, but as a continuation of that sound, it's exactly what I want.

As an old fan I find their newer stuff the corniest and the most unimaginative metal around. Check out the albums from Burnt Offerings to Horror Show and be amazed. I think Burnt Offerings or Something Wicked This Way Comes is my favourite.

I know a Swedish death metal riff when i hear one!

So any of you guys know about the band Wind Rose? Because I just discovered them out of nowhere and hot damn this is some prime cheesy folk/power metal. Worth a listen
Been listening to some of their stuff recently. It was either facebook or youtube that went, "have a go" and yeah, they're a lot of fun.

not sure i need any more cheesy power metal though :p

kingslunk

As an old fan I find their newer stuff the corniest and the most unimaginative metal around. Check out the albums from Burnt Offerings to Horror Show and be amazed. I think Burnt Offerings or Something Wicked This Way Comes is my favourite.

The Glorious Burden is top tier

Gave Burnt Offerings a listen. Was enjoyable enough, though I wasn't exactly blown away or anything. Solid album though.

Spwn

The Glorious Burden is top tier

It was the album that ended my Iced Earth fandom. I don't think even Barlow would've saved it. It might be the production from that album forward that feels so compressed and soulless, because they lack the heaviness of the past IE. And When The Eagle Cries is a real earbleeder.

XShagrath

Dark Saga and Horror Show are probably my favorite Iced Earth albums. I really don't think Stu is a good fit for the band. I can only really find enjoyment out of a couple songs on each album that he's been on.

lordxar

Glorious Burden sucked for me. I like their thrashier side and that wasn't. Stormrider is where I started in on them way back in the day. Everything up through Horror Show is great. Then you get Burden...meh. The two Wicked albums and Dystopia were ok but pretty much cruise control which is what I expect out if this new one coming up which is fine by me.

Glorious Burden sucked for me. I like their thrashier side and that wasn't. Stormrider is where I started in on them way back in the day. Everything up through Horror Show is great. Then you get Burden...meh. The two Wicked albums and Dystopia were ok but pretty much cruise control which is what I expect out if this new one coming up which is fine by me.

Night of the Stormrider is such an underrated album. Arguably tied with Burnt Offerings as my favorite IE album.

Night of the Stormrider is such an underrated album. Arguably tied with Burnt Offerings as my favorite IE album.

My man.

To Conkers, try searching for the original mix of Night Of The Stormrider. For some reason Iced Earth gave their early discography the Megadeth treatment in the mid-00's and wiped the original (and superior imo) mixes from existence.

lordxar

My man.

To Conkers, try searching for the original mix of Night Of The Stormrider. For some reason Iced Earth gave their early discography the Megadeth treatment in the mid-00's and wiped the original (and superior imo) mixes from existence.

Better cover art too. The cassettes I had back in the day didn't seem as cartoony but maybe I'm not remembering it well.

Spwn

My man.

I think the vinyl releases from a couple of years ago use the old mix? Fortunately I have an og copy of the CD release.

My man.

Night of the Stormrider is such a great album. \m/,

Burnt Offerings is the best Iced Earth. It is known. The fact that it's Jon Schaffer's least favourite makes me like it even more.

To be fair to Schaffer, I can at least somewhat respect why he doesn't like the album so much. Apparently his issue with it has nothing to do with the actual music on the album and instead more of just the state of mind he was in when they made the album after going through several years worth of non-stop bullshit.

That aside, Burnt Offerings is definitely the best Barlow album. I adore the gothic atmosphere that's on that album. It's not just the band's heaviest album- it's also their most atmospheric imo.

Ironically the most "Burnt Offerings"-feeling album made by anyone related to Iced Earth since BO came out in 1995 is probably lead guitarist Jake Dreyer's other band Witherfall's debut album, Nocturnes & Requiems (sorry that I'm always suggesting this album btw). It's not an exact match to BO, obviously, but it's got a similar gothic mood to it and is incredibly heavy with clean Rob Halford/King Diamond-inspired vocals.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It was the album that ended my Iced Earth fandom. I don't think even Barlow would've saved it. It might be the production from that album forward that feels so compressed and soulless, because they lack the heaviness of the past IE. And When The Eagle Cries is a real earbleeder.

Same for me. That song that you mention was over the top.

ShaneB

Well I think the Gettysburg trilogy is one of the best things they've ever done. Said it before that I wish Ripper stayed in the band. I enjoyed Dystopia, but barely checked out PoB.

My intro was Horror Show in the fall of 2001. I remember I listened to it 3 or 4 times in a row.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People who get instantly butthurt when you do the gentlest genre correction make me laugh. "Metalheads are the worst! Someone dared say my favourite band isn't metal, UGH what an asshole and terrible person" I mean, you'd think I came into their home and smashed their favourite band's records to pieces while calling them a "false" or something. Stop being so fragile lol.

Dark Saga and Horror Show are probably my favorite Iced Earth albums. I really don't think Stu is a good fit for the band. I can only really find enjoyment out of a couple songs on each album that he's been on.

I think Stu is amazing. Jon just refuses to utilize him to his full potential.
IE has become the type of band since the Glorious Burden, where only half the album is great, and the other half is pure filler. If they waited 5 years between albums, they'd be amazing.
Also, Clear The Way is excellent. Jon should stick to war songs.

ShaneB

People who get instantly butthurt when you do the gentlest genre correction make me laugh. "Metalheads are the worst! Someone dared say my favourite band isn't metal, UGH what an asshole and terrible person" I mean, you'd think I came into their home and smashed their favourite band's records to pieces while calling them a "false" or something. Stop being so fragile lol.

Hilarious post from you. Considering how butthurt you get over "wrong" metal genres as if they're written in stone and not up for interpretation. You act like only your opinion on genres is the right one.

Most people don't give a shit if a band is symphonic blackened thrash melodic death metal instead of symphonic blackened melodic speed thrash metal.

Was going to post earlier and got sidetracked. Saw the SOAD thread and just knew that's where you must've said something.

They'd have to be metal first. ;)

That's gentle? I mean I hate SOAD, but they're metal from what I remember. You seem upset that someone dare label a band you despise as metal. The horror!

I can barely be bothered to keep up with whatever mess of genres people come up with. "the metal thread". That encompasses a hell of a lot.

The new Aether Realm album rules. Fuck if I care to call it anything other than heavy metal.

Top Bottom