• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MGS4 NYC Midnight Launch thread of HIDEO KOJIMA

Davidion said:
I am a New Yorker. You have to take into consideration the out-of-towners getting lost and scared by the traffic and all. :x

:lol
And the jerkoff tourists stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take pictures. :|

God, I hate them.

well i ordered a $2.00 greyhound return trip ticket online using my mom's credit card and when i got my confirmation email it says only the credit card holder can use the ticket. and tickets are non-transferable so i lost 2 dollars (not a big deal). but the $2.00 tickets are now sold out from june 10th to 12th. (big deal)

you'd figure they would allow you to input a different passengers name from what's on the credit card. a lot of people buy bus tickets as gifts for fuck sakes.

Get her to write you a note.

criesofthepast said:
well i ordered a $2.00 greyhound return trip ticket online using my mom's credit card and when i got my confirmation email it says only the credit card holder can use the ticket. and tickets are non-transferable so i lost 2 dollars (not a big deal). but the $2.00 tickets are now sold out from june 10th to 12th. (big deal)

you'd figure they would allow you to input a different passengers name from what's on the credit card. a lot of people buy bus tickets as gifts for fuck sakes.

DancingCactus77 said:
Get her to write you a note.
that's a joke right?:lol i ended up getting a prepaid mastercard in my name and buying a ticket for june 9th arriving in new york the morning of june 10th and leaving june 12th in the morning. how i'll kill 36 hours till the launch, i have no clue considering i'm not staying at a hotel.

any new yorkers can recommend a safe park to sleep in? im not kidding. or places to hangout that are open 24/7? if their are really cheap hotels i'll consider that too. any tips would be appreciated. i'm going alone so this will be interesting.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
criesofthepast said:
that's a joke right?:lol i ended up getting a prepaid mastercard in my name and buying a ticket for june 9th arriving in new york the morning of june 10th and leaving june 12th in the morning. how i'll kill 36 hours till the launch, i have no clue considering i'm not staying at a hotel.

any new yorkers can recommend a safe park to sleep in? im not kidding. or places to hangout that are open 24/7? if their are really cheap hotels i'll consider that too.

No offense, but Jesus Christ...he's just a fucking videogame creator. I love Kojima as much as the next guy, but this is borderline obsession to sleep outside somewhere. Get a grip.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AlphaSnake said:
No offense, but Jesus Christ...he's just a fucking videogame creator. I love Kojima as much as the next guy, but this is borderline obsession to sleep outside somewhere. Get a grip.
Give us a break... this is our only chance we'll be able to see the guy. My reaction was just as mad when I was about to meet Yamaoka.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
AlphaSnake said:
we're videogame fans, if this isnt the shit then what is?

Davidion

criesofthepast said:

any new yorkers can recommend a safe park to sleep in? im not kidding. or places to hangout that are open 24/7? if their are really cheap hotels i'll consider that too. any tips would be appreciated. i'm going alone so this will be interesting.

Yeah I think you're being a tad overzealous there...

But all else failing, Time Square is essentially open 24/7. Stay where the crowds are and there'll be a handful of places open. Also, go down to 32nd street and Broadway and go to Korea Town if you're looking for food late.

If you really need to sleep in a park, go down to Union Square.

It's probably better if you stuck with GAFers or find a cheap place. The Red Roof inn down on 32nd/Korea Town is in a good area and has decent rates.

AlphaSnake said:
i've never waited in line for hours or been to any midnight launch for anything before. metal gear is my all time favorite game series and i've always wanted to visit new york. at $2.00 for a return ticket from toronto this is just too good to pass up. although, i agree sleeping outside is a little nuts. i will most likely stay at a dirt cheap hotel.

criesofthepast said:

You didn't read my post, did u :)
Once again guys: I contacted Greyhound and heres what happened:

- The original deal was from 22rd to 24th.
- Greyhound realized that the date isn't sufficient so they changed it to 29th till June 1st.
- They forgot to change it in system on June 22nd so whoever got through, got through!
- The sale will start AGAIN in May 29th till June 1st. Book your tickets at that certain timeframe.
- Do you rike it?

Ephemeris

Rapping Granny said:
lltp: Where are these screen comming from?
If you're talking about the screen in the first post, Virgin had that one (and only) flyer posted on the ps3 kiosk. I asked for one [to scan it], but they only had that one at the time. :/

shagg_187 said:
- The sale will start AGAIN in June 29th till June 1st. Book your tickets at that certain timeframe.

Time Paradox? o__o
Been playing MGS3 lately. Couldn't resist..

KGKK

Banned
Damn you guys who get to go:( I want to go go go to Kojima and kiss his feet for giving us the blessing that is MGS4:(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Again, if anyone is willing to wait in line (could be a long wait) or is waiting anyways to get theirs signed, I'd be willing to send enough money for your copy of the game and mine + shipping costs to have it sent to me. So pretty much you'll be waiting in line for a FREE copy of the game signed for you to treasure. ;)

Good deal I think!

Does anyone know if you can buy two copies/get two copies signed though?

kuYuri

MarkMan said:
Again, if anyone is willing to wait in line (could be a long wait) or is waiting anyways to get theirs signed, I'd be willing to send enough money for your copy of the game and mine + shipping costs to have it sent to me. So pretty much you'll be waiting in line for a FREE copy of the game signed for you to treasure. ;)

Good deal I think!

If I find out that you can get more than one copy (to be honest, I don't see why not. It's more money for them and the SE should be readily available after all), I can try to purchase more than one signed copy for people here. We shall see.

Alright guys. No time to take risk and wait for May 29th for greyhound to release tickets. I contacted Greyhound and booked 2 return tickets for myself for $13 ($4 tickets +$9 shipping). The catch is that you HAVE to go at night to get these tickets so those planning to only get to NY 6 hours earlier won't be able to get it. I am leaving Toronto @ 8pm on June 10th and leaving NYC @ 8pm on June 14th. Guess i can't complain :)

That said, i have another $2 ticket on me but the departure from NYC is June 12th so i won't use them cause i want to stay a little longer. Sadly, the tickets are NOT transferable but IF they are, i can probably give it to someone else if they need it.

Will ask Greyhound soon about those tickets if there is some way to transfer them (which i don't think they are).

:)

MarkMan said:

Good deal I think!

Where do you live? If you really ARE willing to pay that much, i might be able to do it for you. PM me :)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
shagg_187 said:
Where do you live? If you really ARE willing to pay that much, i might be able to do it for you. PM me :)

I'm in San Diego, CA. There is no way I'm going to fly out there and spend $200-300 for tickets and then BUY the game. :(

So I'd rather spend $140 if someone can guarantee me a signed copy lol. It is still a few weeks away. I'm hoping we can get some concrete details from the store if more than one signature(multiple copies) are allowed.

Ephemeris

MarkMan said:
I'm in San Diego, CA. There is no way I'm going to fly out there and spend $200-300 for tickets and then BUY the game. :(

So I'd rather spend $140 if someone can guarantee me a signed copy lol. It is still a few weeks away. I'm hoping we can get some concrete details from the store if more than one signature(multiple copies) are allowed.

I plan to go back there tomorrow or so to ask some more questions. The guy I found yesterday was hanging advertisements around the store and gave me a couple - though unimportant - details (where Kojima is going to sit, etc etc).

If someone doesn't beat me to it ( I swore I read that someone has a gf that works there) I'll try to find out if you can buy multiple copies.

Darkpen

Banned
MarkMan said:
well.... why not go to the LA one. I mean, sure it won't be Kojima, but somebody will be there, right? Maybe it'll be Shuyo Murata, the guy who's mostly responsible for the storywriting and script? D: Or perhaps our very own Novary? D:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MarkMan said:

This.

Halka

Neo Member
criesofthepast said:

1. you're insane.

2. stay away from parks. they're not safe late at night and/or you'll get kicked out by cops. do some searching online for cheap-ass hotels. i'm sure you can find something for under $100 or cheaper if you can split a room with some GAFers. worst-case scenario: You could probably catch some sleep at the New York Public Library or the subways

YMCA also rents out rooms for dirt cheap

Acid08

Banned
My relatives all live in NY. I'm going to ask them that maybe they can go and get me a signed LE for a graduation present :D

GQman2121

Banned
shagg_187 said:
LE not available at Virgin :(

Is that true? I mean why the fuck not? Does Gamestop have an exclusive or something?

edit: To the dude willing to wander the streets for two days; the place I'm staying at is $99 a night and is five blocks from times square. If you're only paying $2 for the trip, it would be worth it for you to pony up and have a place to rest your head, and keep your stuff while your in the city. Just a thought.......

GQman2121

Banned
They're going to take the plastic wrap off the games right? I would actually prefer to have the paper art insert signed, rather than the actual jewel case.

Ephemeris

GQman2121 said:
They're going to take the plastic wrap off the games right? I would actually prefer to have the paper art insert signed, rather than the actual jewel case.

I hope so. But I already planned to take off the plastic my damn self in such an event.

I might be able to get my hands on copies of the Collector's Edition early. Wonder if they would sign it for me. I mean it basically proved I broke street date lol -.-

after a surprisingly easy time with greyhound on the phone i managed to switch my ticket from june 9th to june 10th on the evening bus and come back june 12th morning bus. ill only be in new york for 24 hours so it works out better for me this way and i won't have to loiter the streets for a day. after the launch ill just go chill at penn station till my 8 am bus back home.

shagg_187, i'll probably be on the same bus as you going there.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Cirekiller said:
I might be able to get my hands on copies of the Collector's Edition early. Wonder if they would sign it for me. I mean it basically proved I broke street date lol -.-

Well if plans go right I'll have beaten MGS4 by the signing, so I'll tell Kojima my favorite part or something anywho. :lol

Top Bottom