• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Middle Season 8 |OT| secret best show on TV - Tuesdays 8/7 Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

The Hecks are back for another down to earth season of life and its particulars in Orson, Indiana. Premiering tonight October 11th!!

Network: ABC
Time: Tuesdays at 8 (7 PM Central)
Genre: slice of life
What makes it so great: just like Parenthood was about these little moments and situations in life that add up to an indefinable something but in their individual parts are the stories you never see elsewhere on TV or in movies, The Middle is the comedic but often surprisingly affecting take on the same concept
Best character: Sue but seriously all of them
Last year's OT cause it's just so dang swell, huge thanks to TOOHEF for making it:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1114811
Meet the Hecks

the-middle-815x570-v2.jpg

Frankie_Heck_Middle.jpg

Frankie, the mum of the family. She's always trying to think of ways to improve life for herself and her family, while on a tight budget.

974950_1331733599217_full.jpg

Mike, the dad. He's not the most friendly guy in the world, but he loves his family, and his football team, the Colts.

latest

Axl, their oldest son. He's in college on a football scholarship, and will continue his relationship with Devin Levin from Idaho this season. (RIP AxDev ;___;)

latest

Sue Heck, their daughter, and eternal optimist. She'll be starting continuing college this year!

latest

Brick Heck, youngest son. He likes reading.

This show is awesome as fuck, and should get a lot more love, so yeah.

vypek

No problem. Looking forward to the premiere tonight. Seems odd for this to not be on Wednesdays anymore

This premiered last night in Canada, so I PVRed it and watched it. I'm glad it's still going.

The episode was pretty good. I like how Brick has changed a bit.

vypek

I watched. It was pretty good. I didn't even realize it had been on for so long. I feel like the characters haven't aged that much. Well, the actors.

I watched. It was pretty good. I didn't even realize it had been on for so long. I feel like the characters haven't aged that much. Well, the actors.

You can notice Brick's changes every season, and he looks quite different now in comparison to when the show began or was in its infancy. But he has a form of dwarfism.

Axl and Sue looks pretty similar to this day.

vypek

You can notice Brick's changes every season, and he looks quite different now in comparison to when the show began or was in its infancy. But he has a form of dwarfism.

Axl and Sue looks pretty similar to this day.

I'm sure I'll notice more easily if I go back and look at an earlier episode. I never see them though so its harder for me to see the change but I'm sure its there since Brick is the one who would definitely change the most. I didn't know he had a form of dwarfism though.

This show always reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle

I'm sure I'll notice more easily if I go back and look at an earlier episode. I never see them though so its harder for me to see the change but I'm sure its there since Brick is the one who would definitely change the most. I didn't know he had a form of dwarfism though.

This show always reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle

Yeah, you'll only notice it if you watch older episodes (which you should because it's a great show!) I wasn't sure if you had or not.

Brick has aged the most this season.

As for Malcolm in the Middle: There are definitely similarities. I know that every time I try to search The Middle on my PVR, most of the results are Malcolm. I used to love that show, but kind of grew out of it.

I'm surprised they went the dumb route for axel's new love interest. But I laughed. Also laughed that Mike doesn't give a shit at all.

maxcriden

The only episode of the show (besides the new one) I haven't seen is a Justin Bieber episode. For some reason it wasn't available to purchase when we caught up on previous seasons before we started watching the show weekly, IIRC. I think it's available now. Was it a particularly memorable ep? It's going to be weird seeing a new (to us) older ep.

krang

This show is so good, but seems to fly under the radar of most people. Really glad it's continuing this long, but a bit surprised.

The only episode of the show (besides the new one) I haven't seen is a Justin Bieber episode. For some reason it wasn't available to purchase when we caught up on previous seasons before we started watching the show weekly, IIRC. I think it's available now. Was it a particularly memorable ep? It's going to be weird seeing a new (to us) older ep.

I don't remember it. I didn't start watching on day one, though.

At first, I'd watch it if nothing else was on at 2am, but found it kind of dumb. Then it really grew on me and I'd watch every episode I could.

I think I started watching full-time a few seasons ago.

maxcriden

I don't remember it. I didn't start watching on day one, though.

At first, I'd watch it if nothing else was on at 2am, but found it kind of dumb. Then it really grew on me and I'd watch every episode I could.

I think I started watching full-time a few seasons ago.

Gotcha, thanks. Oh, so there are several episodes you've never seen?! You should try to fill those gaps in your viewing history. There are so many gems throughout the years (relative to the excellent quality of a regular episode, even!).

Gotcha, thanks. Oh, so there are several episodes you've never seen?! You should try to fill those gaps in your viewing history. There are so many gems throughout the years (relative to the excellent quality of a regular episode, even!).

I think I've seen most of them, but I may have missed a few.

I would record it every time it came on and watch those repeats. It got to the point where I'd seen everything.

I've been meaning to go through the episode list, but I don't have any streaming services I could watch it on.

maxcriden

I think I've seen most of them, but I may have missed a few.

I would record it every time it came on and watch those repeats. It got to the point where I'd seen everything.

I've been meaning to go through the episode list, but I don't have any streaming services I could watch it on.

Gotcha. Well, hopefully they'll add it to streaming for you up there in Canada soon enough and you can catch any you missed! I'm psyched to watch last night's ep tonight.

maxcriden

Oh my gosh

Mike paying Sues' tuition. I was so emotional

That was so touching. Hard to watch, but very sweet.

BTW, you wrote about Jeremy above in a way that seemed to indicate you didn't remember him/already find him unbearable from last season? :D He was in last season and totally insufferable already lol!

maxcriden

This show needs to come to Netflix.

I was sure it was on there before, but maybe I'm misremembering (and if it was there, it's been removed sadly). Hopefully it comes soon. I thought ABC shows were on Netflix a lot so I don't see why it isn't there. It's well worthy of comedy binge-watching.

Last night's episode was fantastic. The writing was great, the acting was spot on (Sue's German, especially) and the whole Brick driving plot was hilarious.

The speech Mike gave to Sue is a highlight of the series.

vypek

Last night's episode was fantastic. The writing was great, the acting was spot on (Sue's German, especially) and the whole Brick driving plot was hilarious.

The speech Mike gave to Sue is a highlight of the series.

There was an episode last night? I don't think I saw it on my DVR. I'll double check later and try to see if I can watch it on ABC's site or something

maxcriden

There was an episode last night? I don't think I saw it on my DVR. I'll double check later and try to see if I can watch it on ABC's site or something

Not to worry, Chewie's from an alternate timeline where it airs on Mondays (Canada). Looking very much forward to the ep given his praise!

vypek

Not to worry, Chewie's from an alternate timeline where it airs on Mondays (Canada). Looking very much forward to the ep given his praise!

Ooh lol. Thanks. Thought for a moment they changed the day and I hadn't been paying enough attention to catch the shift in night.

maxcriden

Sorry guys, I forgot this is the one show that airs earlier in Canada.

You're in for a real treat.

I forgot to pop back in and report my thoughts, sorry. I did really enjoy the episode, and as you mentioned Mike's speech to Sue was very well done. I'm wary of Sue going into hospitality but I'm confident she'll make the best of any situation she's in.

BTW, new episode tonight in the US -- presumably you have already enjoyed it by the time you're reading this!

chaosaeon

I catch random episodes when it's on and just saw the one where Axl meets Devin at thanksgiving. I was interested to see what might happen later with them after that episode but after reading the OP I guess I should not have gotten my hopes up.

maxcriden

I catch random episodes when it's on and just saw the one where Axl meets Devin at thanksgiving. I was interested to see what might happen later with them after that episode but after reading the OP I guess I should not have gotten my hopes up.

Sorry for the spoilers! :) The episodes with their relationship are still good. Though, the episodes with Axel's current relationship situation have been even better in a lot of ways. This season has really played interestingly with more serious arcs and repercussions for the characters. While still being delightful, that is!

vypek

Shit, I really shouldn't have read that. Dang. I thought it was for last week's ep snce I thought only OCDChewie was watching it ahead of the rest of us and you're across the pond. ;__; oh well. My fault. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

Same here. lol. Made the same mistake based on the same thought as well.

vypek

OCDChewie lured us into a false sense of security.

(whispers) security

WOOP!

Yep. Even with being lured and then surprised I'm still looking forward to the episode though.

Where's the "Youre gonna love our pizza!"? At least I'm pretty sure what the phrase was. lol

maxcriden

Yep. Even with being lured and then surprised I'm still looking forward to the episode though.

Where's the "Youre gonna love our pizza!"? At least I'm pretty sure what the phrase was. lol

I was hoping you would chime in with that one! Poor Brick. His counselor is hilarious though.

And I'm still looking forward to the ep as well! Very much so.

vypek

I was hoping you would chime in with that one! Poor Brick. His counselor is hilarious though.

And I'm still looking forward to the ep as well! Very much so.

Dave Foley? Yeah I like his character a lot. I think he is my favorite recurring character. All of a sudden I just thought that I'm surprised that Ray Romano hasn't appeared on this show as a character that pops up every now and then (or has he?)

Well now I feel bad :(

lol Don't feel bad. You didn't do anything wrong

RetroMG

Oh hey, neat, we have an OT for this show. My wife binged through this show recently while she's been on Maternity leave, and we both really like it.

Dave Foley? Yeah I like his character a lot. I think he is my favorite recurring character. All of a sudden I just thought that I'm surprised that Ray Romano hasn't appeared on this show as a character that pops up every now and then (or has he?)

lol Don't feel bad. You didn't do anything wrong

He's been in two episodes exactly. The camping episodes that opened season 3.

maxcriden

He's been in two episodes exactly. The camping episodes that opened season 3.

That's all? I'd thought he'd been in quite a few.

Fake edit: IMDb is telling me 6 eps.

Edit: this is what I get for reading too quickly! I'm dumb, lol. I thought we were still talking about Dave Foley. Sorry man. (And yep vypek that's who I meant! :) He and TimTom are faves. Brad is probably our most fave.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom