• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Moment You Realized You Were Playing One of the Best Games Ever

Around the time of "simple and clean is the way that you're making me feeeeeeeel toniiiiight"

When I realized I doomed a bunch of kids to be eaten by 3 crones living in the woods because I thought the Bloody Baron's wife could use a win.

Also, Maker's End in Horizon.

Priscilla's song in the Witcher 3.

The opening gameplay cuts in Chrono Trigger.

Realizing how broken the Hero abilities are in Patapon 2.

Seeing the first cutscene with ocelot in MGS 3.

lestar

FFVII - Aerith death, first and only game to date that make me cry like a baby

Chrono Trigger - Opening, Chrono's resurrection, Magus battle, Seal's arc, Final Battle, ending

Shadow of the Collosus - Climbing and defeat the first collosus

Super Mario RPG - all

Resident Evil 1 - the damn dog jumping off the window! the prerender graphics, the inmersion and terror

RE2 - All

Metal Gear Solid - that damn movie like scenes!

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Final battle, passing through all MGS battle themes, that big ass ending

Zelda Ocarina of Time - that graphics for that time, exit kokiri village and see the day and night transition and open world sensation

Zelda BotW - exit shrine of res. and see the beatiful and real open world, the freedom

Zelda LA - The true ending

Metal gear rising - Final battle, music

999 - the complex and mindblowing story, puzzles, real ending

Ghost trick - story, original gameplay, THAT plot twist

Journey - The sandboard part

Pokemon Gold/Silver - in a time without spoilers, find out that you can go back to kanto and fight red in mount silver was like receive that wanted unespected gift in christmas

There were many such moments in the Witcher 3 for me but playing through the first DLC is when I became certain that I was playing something unmatched in many departments by anything I've played before.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
When I started racing with other people from top100 leaderboards in WipEout HD.

LotusHD

Banned
Off the top of my head:

Undertale - Flowey battle, Undyne boss fight in the Genocide route.

NieR: Automata - Opera boss fight, Ending E

Witcher 3 - Finishing the Bloody Baron quest.

Breath of the Wild - Successfully sneaking into Hyrule Castle shortly after getting off of the Great Plateau.

Wind Waker - The first time I set sail.

Pokemon Gold/Silver: Finding out you could go to Kanto and collect 8 other badges.

Thousand-Year Door: Glitz Pit.

PSqueak

Banned
Undertale: the game really moved me emotionally when i arrived "Home" and the monsters start telling you the eponymous undertale while the song of the same name plays. But when i really knew this was a great game was when the REALLY meta things started during the Flowey battle.

Edit: huh, i just realized i had already posted before in this thread and funnily enough it had mentions of the Home segment, which i guess means it's a moment that stuck with me.

Buckle

When I realized I had been playing Fallout 3 for about a year straight and never stopped over many playthroughs, always finding a new way to play or finding something I somehow missed in the last hundred hours or so.

I got lost in that game, fell in like a hole to Wonder Land or some shit.

The opening of BotW.

I hadn't even played the game yet, but back when I saw the opening of BotW at E3 it liked like they finally made the Zelda game I had been hoping for. I was still a little skeptical that they would be able to deliver... But then I played the game and they completely delivered. Over-delivered, even.

LotusHD

Banned
Undertale: the game really moved me emotionally when i arrived "Home" and the monsters start telling you the eponymous undertale while the song of the same name plays. But when i really knew this was a great game was when the REALLY meta things started during the Flowey battle.

Oh shit, I'll include that in my post too, namely the moment where
your game crashes on you.

There's a scene in KOTOR where one of your squadmates has an opportunity to get revenge on someone who super wronged them in the past. It was in a way that really bothered me and using The Force I kinda forced them into doing something extreme to them. I felt great but then my teammate felt upset about it and I kinda regretted having forced them to deal with it in such an extreme manner that kinda hurt their growth but made me happy.

That's when I was kinda drawn it. The type of games I played up to that point were pretty kiddy up to that point and never would have had a scenario where someone calls you out for doing something crazy violent. That would have been the whole point/only option.

Xenoblade Chronicles- The constant ramping up and escalation of the story was tremendous. It just kept on getting better and better. The music also sold it as well.

Nier Automata- Ending E that is all

Tesser

R-Type III - The music of Stage 1 alone and hearing the charge-up sound which is one of the best video game SFX there's ever been

Xenoblade Chronicles - Approaching and subsequently entering Gaur Plains

Mother 3 - The scene where
Flint completely loses it after hearing about his wife's death; going as far as to attack someone in blind rage, all in front of the then-young Lucas & Claus

Super Metroid - Stepping out onto Zebes for the first time in the game and being greeted by near-silence and virtually no hostiles. Totally threw me and went against my earlier predictions.

Devil May Cry 3 - End of Mission 19: "Remember what we used to say?"

Gilby

Cresting a hill and seeing horses below me in BOTW. I had avoided media for the game, and just assumed you were given Epona at some point. I had no idea there were horses just roaming the world that you had to tame!

Climbing to the top of a peak to find a beautifully secluded lake as the sun rises and a flock of birds soars ahead. That piano kicks in. Bliss.

Breath of the Wild.

PSqueak

Banned
Mother 3 - The scene where
Flint completely loses it after hearing about his wife's death; going as far as to attack someone in blind rage, all in front of the then-young Lucas & Claus

How i realized M3 was great?

Have become incredibly afraid of replaying it since (Kinda tangentially spoilers)
My own mother passed away
since i feel now the emotional bits of the game will become unbearable.

pa22word

Re4 - village brawl

The game never even tries to reapproach a similar circumstance in the rest of the game like this one, which is kinda sad but it makes the moment stand out with such starkness to anyone who's played the game. Like I don't know anyone who's played the game that doesn't remember that section with vivid memory, even if they didn't complete the game.

Ashler

The only correct answer:
sif-the-great-grey-wolf-large.jpg

bigpumbaa

That this one might be unique to me, even though we're all playing the same game, is what made me realize this game is GOAT (and I haven't even beat it).

No serious spoilers.

Breath of the Wild, you have three temples to get to and an open world to explore them.

I just wander and happen upon the old man's cabin. He's not around. I find his diary and he talks about loving a spicy seafood and meat skewer and trading a fur coat for it.

I don't care.

I keep adventuring and manage to get 2 of the 3 shrines required to get out of the intro phase of the game (tutorial isn't exactly the right word).

I mark the 3rd, enter it, and immediately almost die of freezing cold. Because the area its in... it's cold.

So I'm lost. And confused. And I half remember the Old Man's Cabin Diary, but I didn't mark his cabin. So, old school, I open the map and look for a square. It hard to find because the world is so big, but I see a square I think is the cabin.

I run there.I read the diary again. It doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm thinking with a game brain.

I think I need this specific food item. Or I think I might need a fish? But I haven't been introduced to a body of water. Or swimming. Or anything. I haven't even seen a fucking lake.

Then it dawns on me.

I have a pepper I picked. I have a pieces of meat, cooked and uncooked. I need a fish. I need to find a lake. I need to figure out how to combine these and cook them.

I need to think with my human brain. I need a fish. So I go to the nearest lake. I jump in. And I grab a goddamn fish.

Then I try to light fire to the meat. It only roasts it (as it would IRL).

So I go back to the cabin.

Notice the little open stove. Click pause. Finally realize how the "hold" button works. Hold everything, drop it in the fucking stove.

And it makes a goddamn spicy seafood and meat skewer.

This game has just stunned me with design brilliance.

Even better. I excitedly take it to the Old Man. HE MAKES ME FUCKING WAIT FOR HIM TO WALK BACK TO THE CABIN TO HEAR ME OUT... BECAUSE HE'S STILL WORKING.

I make this insane discovery, what feels like super organically, and like IRL the ornery old man makes me wait.

Jaw dropped. Heart stolen. Done and done BotW is my GOAT and I love it irrationally and with all my being.

Persona 4 really had me grabbed once it gave me the first dungeon cycle and I suddenly was having a blast doing social links and running up the dungeon. Once the game wasn't just scrolling through endless text it instantly had me and I fell in love.

...I need to play Persona 4 again.

syncyes

When in the very beginning of Dragon Quest V, I tried to read a sign and the dialogue box said something along the lines of

"...but you don't know how to read yet!"

such a charming game

also: pankraz's death, getting married, turning into the stone statue, meeting your kids and all the party chat background info on their journey to find you in every town ;_;, finding out your son is the legendary hero, having a mc/wife/son/daughter party in th final dungeon and the party chats with them before the final boss

...kinda want to replay now haha

Dantooine

Banned
Loads of stuff from the village section of RE4, but it really hit when I was riding on the cable car and spotted a castle in the background. I said to my flatmate - wouldn't it be great to go to that castle... Then, when we finally arrived in the castle I checked the map and saw it was a huge sprawling level and the game wasn't anywhere near over. Previous to that I had thought the village was the whole game.

Didn't know anything about it, went in cold not knowing what to expect. No game has come close to RE4.

The ending of your second playthrough in Nier Automata instantly jumped it from "oh yeah this might actually be game of the year" to "throw everything else in the trash this is all I am" in under a minute. Everything after that too.

The first time I actually parried during a match in Third Strike.

The opening video for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (yeah yeah I know). Just thinking about it gives me tingles.

And Spenlunky, when I threw a rock, it bounced off the wall, hit me in the head and knocked me onto a set of spikes.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Riding into Gerudo Valley and jumping that bridge before the awesome music begins #ZeldaOcarinaofTime

Here's one of my examples:

When I inserted Persona 4 Golden for the first time on the Vita and saw that amazing intro, I knew I was going to play one of my favorite games of all time. The Golden ending and credits solidified it as I cried my eyes out.

Never played any of the Persona or Shin Megami Tensei games before either.

Top Bottom