• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most innovative title in the last 2 years?

until-dawn.png

What did this game do that was innovative??

HoodWinked

Gold Member
i think undertale is really fantastic but not sure why people consider it innovative.

keep talking is something that i'd consider a pretty new idea it doesnt even have a clear genre that it could be classified under. some of the jack box games are sort of under the same umbrella.

ccking

Neo Member
destiny-the-taken-king-expansion-pack.jpg

Took the popular cooperative elements of Phantasy Star minus the massive aspects of an MMORPG and made it one of the most culturally successful multiplayer shooters for the past year, catering to both mainstream and hardcore gamers alike.

Plus it achieved the highest OTs in GAF history. No game has ever came close.

Maybe not so much innovative. But if you've been gone for awhile the overall presentation of Witcher 3 will blow you away.

A combination of graphics, story telling, character development, world building, etc. that I've never seen before.

Brawl96

Took the popular cooperative elements of Phantasy Star minus the massive aspects of an MMORPG and made it one of the most culturally successful multiplayer shooters for the past year, catering to both mainstream and hardcore gamers alike.

I was going to post Destiny as a joke, but you beat me to it!

1upsuper

Both Splatoon and Undertale are good choices, I'd say.

This. Though I'd say Undertale moreso.

i think undertale is really fantastic but not sure why people consider it innovative.

Knights in the Knightmare is the only thing that comes close to resembling Undertale's bullet hell battles in the genre. Also, the entire theme of (gameplay spoilers)
the player's ability to spare every enemy by talking his/her/their way out and also having it impact the game itself
is pretty underutilized in games more generally.

Today I learned that a lot of people don't know what the word innovation means, which is slightly scarier to me than the lack of innovation in the AAA scene as of late.

Definitely agree with Splatoon and Papers Please even thought it just missed the cutoff. Can't wait to play Undertale when I have time. Can't say I agree with Until Dawn despite loving it because 999 and VLR did similar things first.

The Butterfly Effect. Although I've never played a Telltale game/Life is Strange so of course I probably don't know what I'm saying.

It's a slight twist on something VLR already did though, at least they are similar enough to me.

TWD and LIS don't have that though so don't worry haha. But if you liked Until Dawn jump on those! You'll have a great time.

Since no one has said Super Time Force yet, I'll say it: Super Time Force. The time rewinding and saving/absorbing previous characters is surprisingly cool.

Alien Isolation felt like a new kind of survival horror to me. Things like the overall immersive atmosphere and feeling of hopelessness against one enemy might have bee small steps, but when the AI was, likely not possible until recently, it felt like a revelation in a genre I normally wouldn't have paid attention to.

The last two gaming innovations that really hit me:
1 Vs 100 (live massive communal game show experience) felt like a potential huge innovation that would have far-reaching impacts in this generation but so far...nothing. A communal Jackbox would be HUGE.

Nhl skill stick (controlling your hockey stick independent of your body). It was the first time I felt I could play hockey like I would in real life-the first time a sports game felt like it encouraged creativity.

Sadly, those have been quite a few years removed at this point.

Just wait for DOA extreme 3 and prepare to have your whole worldview changed!

Aside from that some games have created innovations in gameplay systems Batman assassins creed combat, last of us crafting will be used more I bet. Not exactly in the 2 year window but I'm having difficulty thinking of any games that have had a similar effect in the past 2 years.

P.T. changed the horror genera I guess.

Corpekata

Banned
Diablo 3 beat a lot of that to the punch with it's own Nemesis.

They aren't really that similar. They're only similar in that in Mordor they can appear in friend's games too but that's not what people are really drawn to about the Nemesis system in Mordor.

Teknoman

PC? Undertale. The combat system, the way the story twists, and the soundtrack (while not innovative, is pretty top tier stuff). It even uses PC crashes / glitches in an interesting way.

Splatoon is your standard choice for GAF, but I'd say Hearthstone. Free to play done really well in a genre that never made it anywhere. Great game for PC and mobile.

Malus

Definitely echoing Splatoon. The ability to dive into the ink your bullets leave behind works so seamlessly and naturally. It doesn't stick out like, "Hey, here's this new extra feature you can use if you want." It's totally integral to the experience and the little universe they created to match it fits like a glove. It's an innovative combination of third person shooting and 3d platforming.

edit: Undertale is getting mentioned a lot, and it's a really cool game, but I dunno that it's innovative. Maybe the battle system? It mixes together a bunch of different genres (bullet hell/top down shooter, platforming, light RPG mechanics), but Undertale doesn't really try to blend them together or evolve them.

Cuzco

Banned

giphy.gif

I mean let's not kid ourselves. Splatoon is fun but de blob and that XBLA game do exist.

That's only true on a very superficial level. Neither of those games have the movement mechanics that to me make Splatoon so unique. Without the squid system Splatoon wouldn't be the game that it is and probably wouldn't be that successful.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter brought photogrammetry to gaming in a big way. Shadows of Mordor's Nemesis system was definitely interesting, even if the game itself wasn't amazing. Stanley Parable, Papers Please, and Undertale are all games that show narrative can be king.

Hearthstone brought a genre typically ignored into the mainstream with unprecedented success. Shame that the developers have only managed to slowly drive a game with 10+ year promise into a game that looks like it'll fade out in the next 2 by making awful decision after awful decision.

I'm sure I'm not remembering something.

I mean let's not kid ourselves. Splatoon is fun but de blob and that XBLA game do exist.

I hope you're being sarcastic, the painting aspect isn't what makes it unique. That's super basic. Its the squid mechanics and the strategy that's built around it. The single act of swimming through the ink makes you go fast (a 'run' button essentially), be stealthy, and reload all at the same time. And touching enemy ink hurts you. It streamlines the mechanics of a shooter all into one mechanic that simultaneously changes the strategy of the game. This gives the game a dramatically different play style from other shooters. It really makes the game feel super fresh.

killroy87

MGSV innovates so much on the open world game tropes, and makes the core gameplay legitimately incredible, and not just an addictive feedback loop like most other open world games these days.

Shadow of Mordor - despite being a medicore game, the Nemesis system is really one of the best things to come out of games in recent years

PrankT

My vote goes to Talos Principle. There are other puzzle games, but this one brought some great philosophical ideals into the mix.

I'm going to say Undertale. I've had fun with plenty of games in the last two years, but nothing felt quite like Undertale.
Splatoon is definitely the most innovative shooter.

Breads

Banned
Dark Souls 2. Soul Memory was a very creative way to ruin PVP in the souls series.

Granted it's still the best with it's functional covenants and myriad viable builds, but Soul Memory was a needlessly devastating blow that was acknowledged by the existence of the agape ring but mind numbingly enough not removed in Scholar of the First Sin.

Probably not the most innovative title overall, but I thought haggling with real money as a game mechanic in Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was really interesting.

I've definitely never seen the haggling mechanic with real money used in another game.

What a great game. I need to get back to playing it.

matt05891

I don't think anything innovative has truly come. I will second Papers Please and Stanley parable. I also agree with Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes for its mix of playing the defused and communicating with others reading the bomb defuse manuel. That's probably my top pick. Even people who don't care for video games in my experience find it fun.

Durante

I'd say it's Divinity: Original Sin.

It innovated in two ways:
  • By having the first tactical RPG battle system with complex environment interaction (and in which the environmental effects interact with each other in multiple ways).
  • Even more importantly, by fully integrating co-op gameplayinto a story-driven RPG, where both players are equal "main" characters and contribute to dialogue. As far as I am aware (and I have played more RPG than anyone should) this had never been done before.

JoseLopez

I'd say it's Divinity: Original Sin.

It innovated in two ways:
  • By having the first tactical RPG battle system with complex environment interaction (and in which the environmental effects interact with each other in omultiple ways).
  • Even more importantly, by fully integrating co-op gameplayinto a story-driven RPG, where both players are equal "main" characters and contribute to dialogue. As far as I am aware (and I have played more RPG than anyone should) this had never been done before.
I'm pretty sure dungeon siege 3 had all players interact in dialogue

Gilby

best answer. Nemisis system is probably the most innovative thing only made possible by current hardware.

I laughed, well done.

But on a serious note there's tons of innovative stuff constantly releasing in the indie space. People have pointed out Undertale which I think is a good pick for recent stuff. But there's a TON of ways a game can innovate, for instance Gone Home made an entire game around physics-based animations, Kentucky Route Zero is about player dialog choices that wasn't just decision-trees, Star Seed Pilgrim made a game about discovering how to play the game!

If you want a game with an innovative system like Shadow of Mordor, Dwarf Fortress absolutely dwarfs it (get it?), and can be run on a fraction of the hardware. Which doesn't mean that the nemesis system isn't innovative mind you, just one of many and not AT ALL dependent on hardware.

Durante

I'm pretty sure dungeon siege 3 had all players interact in dialogue
True, but I played Dungeon Siege 3 (in coop even!) and it's not really comparable.

Divinity: OS is a full CRPG with all that entails, and both player characters can independently accept quests, fully interact with the world, and even quarrel over their choices.

Z..

I don't know why it's so depressing, gaming as a whole has just been further and further refinement of ideas established decades ago.

Because with stuff like Her Story, Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, Papers Please, Splatoon, Lumino City, This War Of Mine, Undertale and countless others, that's all you could think of. What makes it depressing is that you are sadly speaking for most gamers. The mainstream side of the industry has become a bloated corpse, much like the music, film and literary industries... capitalism corrupts everything.

Top Bottom