• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most innovative title in the last 2 years?

ResoRai

The rewind mechanic in Life is Strange sorta changes things up a bit.

Also the gameplay in Valiant Hearts ia really neat imo.

hmm would MGS5's anouncement count or was that too long ago? that and PT hopefully will inspire more companies to reveal new games other then with cg trailers at a big event or as a cover story on game informer

Mindlog

I've been a bit out of the loop on new games in the past two years and I'm looking to catch up. And while I was reading gaming news and playing through my backlog I feel like I might miss some awesome games which didn't have enough attention in the press/blogs/youtbe/whatever. So please post what you consider the most innovative game of the past 2 years (preferably PC).
I don't know what you read.
Have you heard the good word of Kerbal Space Program. It's all about slowly learning the tools to complete increasingly complex tasks created by your own imagination.
rAiUGpT.jpg

It has been in alpha/beta for some time and finally released this year. At last I can place it at the top of a GotY list.

Polygon has a great article about the game's development.

Until Dawn's butterfly effect gameplay was quite innovative also. Especially with how there was no turning back from a mistake and everything flowed into the next scenes so well. On the interactive cinematic game front, UD killed it

Famassu

Hard to say what is "the most innovative" game, since there have been innovations in different areas. Some have done some pretty unique/innovative things with narrative & storytelling (Her Story), others have done innovative things with NPCs/enemies (Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor) and then there has been some fairly innovative gameplay ideas.

You Must Build a Boat for android/ios/PC.

Although it's only innovative for it's specific genra (match-3 puzzle games), kind of like how Gyromancer and Puzzle Quest were innovative in their time.

Same for MGS V, which wasn't particularly innovative for the game industry, but for the stealth games it kind of was, in my opinion.

What are you talking about?
I thought it was a pretty obvious joke. Anything innovative generally requires some rewarding thinking. Something absent from modern AAA titles.

I fondly remember back to something even really simple. And if wasn't the first instance of this mechanic, then I apologize. But, the original Splinter Cell titles had both light and sound meters. These required close attention, coupled with analyzing enemy distance, to learn when you'd be able to remain undetected. I really miss this kind of stuff. The game would very often not provide you pure darkness, and timing and creativity was CRITICAL. I loved it.

I thought it was a pretty obvious joke. Anything innovative generally requires some rewarding thinking. Something absent from modern AAA titles.

I fondly remember back to something even really simple. And if wasn't the first instance of this mechanic, then I apologize. But, the original Splinter Cell titles had both light and sound meters. These required close attention, coupled with analyzing enemy distance, to learn when you'd be able to remain undetected. I really miss this kind of stuff. The game would very often not provide you pure darkness, and timing was CRITICAL. I loved it.

I was responding more to your last sentence. It seemed like a jab at the community.

Akara

Banned
Tearaway and Until Dawn are definitely up there, with Tearaway being first. Until Dawn gets extra points though for all of my friends and family actually enjoying it. Especially my family, they're hard to please.

Erheller

The entire AAA industry has been stagnant for a while now, but the indie scene is positively brimming with innovation.

Here are some recent games that I've played that were innovative:

Invisible Inc. - Combines turn-based tactics and stealth mechanics into an extremely satisfying game. Each mechanic is extremely refined - there's the rewind feature, which lets you go back a turn a limited number of times during a level, making the game slightly more forgiving but also adding a layer of strategy; there's the deterministic gameplay, where every action's outcome is known (no more missing 99% shots); there's the randomly-generated maps and campaigns, which allow for a ton of replayability. Invisible Inc. introduces a huge number of mechanics to the turn-based tactics genre, and implements them flawlessly.

Crypt of the Necrodancer - A fusion of rhythm and roguelite elements, bringing the best out of both of them.

Ori and the Blind Forest - A beautiful Metroidvania platformer that has some extremely innovative mechanics, like repurposing enemy projectiles to both attack and gain another jump. The level design is also extremely good.

I'm almost certainly forgetting more. There are tons of great, innovative indies out there.

Zoggy

i'd say the really successful f2p games like dota 2 or hearthstone which all heavily encourage streaming and watching others play, as well as a very successful and accepted business model

I honestly never think about innovation. My favourite games of the current year weren't really innovative, just refining existing stuff.

Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are great, but they're less pioneers and more refined versions of existing games.

Suppose Splatoon was pretty innovative?

Nightbird

Splatoon I guess?

But then again, I don't know all Games that released in the past 2 years, so I don't know if I am qualified to give an answer

I honestly never think about innovation. My favourite games of the current year weren't really innovative, just refining existing stuff.

Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are great, but they're less pioneers and more refined versions of existing games.

Suppose Splatoon was pretty innovative?

Splatoon falls into the same category mostly. It's original in it's theme, but not innovative. It's gameplay mechanics borrow from "Capture The Zone"-type of FPS modes that have been out there for 20 years. Not sure if the squid gimmick has been done before (as in being able to dive into your own makings, not in alternative-movement-mode-in-FPS), so that might be pretty innovative.

Most games have been further refinement of established systems in the last two years, the most innovative thing i've seen is the Nemesis System in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. It's the only thing that even approaches completely new.

Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor. Overall it's definitely not the most innovative game, since it borrows a lot from other sandbox games like Arkham City and Assassin's Creed. But the Nemesis System is still one of the most interesting and exciting features to come by in recent years.

Edit: Haha damn, beaten to the punch.

I liked Shadow of Mordor and the Nemesis system was excellent, but the rest of the game was horribly derivative.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything I've played which I would consider particularly innovative. I think the Tearaway games are pretty special as they make great use of their control inputs, and I really liked The Room games on mobile for similar reasons, although I don't think the game design itself wad all that creative or anything.

At least for AAA, both Splatoon and Titanfall both did a whole lot to shake up the shooter genre, with the latter's influence being decidedly felt even today.

Oublieux

Titanfall? At least for me that was the most refreshing online FPS I've played in years. And now most FPS take cues from it nowadays.

Man, I am so sad the MP population died so quickly in this one. The verticality and complementing movement system was pure joy for me.

PaulloDEC

Splatoon would be right up there for me. The only thing more surprising than how innovative it was is how perfectly it all worked.

Something like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes might also qualify. Great fusion of video game and pen-and-paper game.

bounchfx

throwing my card in for undertale as well

id love to say rocket league too but like

ah fuck it, rocket league too

What does that game do that's innovative?

Several things mixing up together dynamically, i.e. stealth, day-night cycles, weather and affecting the difficulty, usable features, weapons, etc by doing subsidiary things in a multi-task fashion while playing the actual game.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Undertale for storytelling
For gameplay, probably Kerbal Space Program.
Factorio is also amazing and different from anything else.

Gotta be Tearaway. It utilized every function the Vita had to offer and did so without it being gimmicky or un-intuitive.

Hats off to Mm.

Top Bottom