• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonF

If it had Dark Souls 3 combat I’m sure it would be best game ever.
Yeah. I played it right after finishing Bloodborne and I was bored all the time. That floaty, clunky low impact combat...I just couldnt. I believe fromsoftware has ruined lots of games for me. I feel almost the same about Horizon Zero Dawn.

Dark Star

I don't have a Switch or whatever, so I don't play any Nintendo games aside from OG Mario lol. So I can't comment on Zelda or anything in that category, but I don't think any of those games can be overrated when they're so based and original.

PS4 games? Now we're talking. It's surprising to see so many MGSV mentions ITT. I thought it was incredibly UNDER-RATED from the beginning. Everyone knew it was unfinished, at least story wise, but the gameplay and graphics are really second to none. Fantastic game. Same thing with Bloodborne. Everyone knows it barely runs at 30fps, but it's still the best Souls game and dripping with atmosphere and lore.

Overrated games? I'd say Horizon : Zero Dawn was really boring, and the hype for it's release was unreal. Same thing with RDR2. Just a really slow paced experience that takes up too much of your time. Likewise, The Witcher 3 has an amazing story, but the combat is just not good.

I enjoyed most of the other games:

Spider-Man? Awesomesauce
God of War? Badass
Uncharted 4? Cool
Inside? Unique

I haven't played TLOU 2 yet, but I'm sure it's a fine game. Same thing with Sekiro and RE2.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Maybe I'm too old or just don't play enough games, or both, but I enjoyed The Witcher 3's combat. I looked forward to every enemy encounter, especially a big group of goons for me to slice up real nice. The melee weapons felt like they had some weight to them. On PC, of course.

.Pennywise

Banned
Maybe I'm too old or just don't play enough games, or both, but I enjoyed The Witcher 3's combat. I looked forward to every enemy encounter, especially a big group of goons for me to slice up real nice. The melee weapons felt like they had some weight to them. On PC, of course.
The Witcher 3 bad combat is an hyperbole at this point. It isn't the best of combats, but it ain't that bad.

dano1

A Sheep
Red dead 2. The shooting was just plain bad no matter how you adjusted it!! And it seemed boring after a couple hours Looked nice though

Max_Po

Banned
Easily, Witcher 3.

Over hyped with Insane Graphics, under delivered even on PC.

The game was plagued with terrible FPS drops on consoles in dense forest specific areas. ... took Y E A R S to address.

More importantly, MOST BORING GAMEPLAY EVER. FUCKING WEAK sword action ... even The Last of US 2 has one of the best animations and superb game-play even if you hate story.

Fucking even weird spell names... I think ROSS from friends came up with better spell name... OOONAAGI ... break the disc in half and scratch the depths of your ass crack...

I own the game on PC/PS4/Xbox .... and even got an r9 290x on PC for 1080p.

Easily, Witcher 3.

Over hyped with Insane Graphics, under delivered even on PC.

The game was plagued with terrible FPS drops on consoles in dense forest specific areas. ... took Y E A R S to address.

More importantly, MOST BORING GAMEPLAY EVER. FUCKING WEAK sword action ... even The Last of US 2 has one of the best animations and superb game-play even if you hate story.

Fucking even weird spell names... I think ROSS from friends came up with better spell name... OOONAAGI ... break the disc in half and scratch the depths of your ass crack...

I own the game on PC/PS4/Xbox .... and even got an r9 290x on PC for 1080p.

You bought the game three times even though you didn't like it?

THEAP99

Banned
On this list i picked MGS 5. That game blows it load within the first hour with that cool opening sequence. After that, it's a repetitive open-world game.

But most of all, i believe assassins creed odyssey, far cry 5, watch dogs 2, and control are the most overrated games this generation.

iorek21

Voted for The Witcher 3, even if it's one of my favorite games. I'm still butthurt by the downgrade, and I think that the gameplay is mediocre at its best and terrible at its worst; not going to develop more about it, as I've written about it a couple of times already.

Other strong candidates:

- TLOU2: gameplay is stuck in 2013, lots of pacing issues, not to mention all the terrible choices in the story;

- Inside: VERY overrated, I'm with Joseph Anderson's review for this one;

THEAP99

Banned
i think as time goes on it's clear that launch/marketing/review embargo/streamer hype plays into how much some love a game at launch or enjoy it at launch.

i played spiderman/red dead2 at launch with all the hype and everything and loved it at the time and thought it was one of the best things ever.

i played witcher 3 and god of war months/years after the hype and it took me a little while to get into both games. though i ended up loving both, it's clear i would've enjoyed it with the hype..

do u guys feel what I'm trying to say? I believe most games are probably overrated and not as good as initial hype/marketing/reviews all say they are.

that's not to say all games are bad, but rather that it's important to not let hype and all that stuff fuel your enjoyment of the game. because months/years later if you replay it you may not have that same feeling.

this can also work with movies or any other media really. infinity war was great to experience the day of release bu i went to see it again a few weeks later and i realized it is kinda lacking a lot.

Last edited:
Among the ones I have played or strongly familiar with, BOTW easily.
I seriously wanted to love BOTW. I bought a system for it. I was primed and ready for a great game, and I get quite possibly the worst Zelda game I have ever played, and quite possibly the winner for most disappointing game I have ever played. Of course to be overrated you need to be more than that and it is as it is both widely critically acclaimed and held up by its fans as the next coming. Instead it is deeply flawed in all kinds of ways and was an utterly slog to get through. It isn't the worst game I've played, not even close, but definitely up there in the disappointment scale.

ZZZZ

TLOU2 and it's not even close.
Schindler's list of videogame my ass.

Sure i think RDR2 is Overrated and maybe Botw because i didn't like it, but those games weren't compared to Schindler's list, and you don't have fans screaming from the rooftops like it's the best thing ever created in video game history.

For me Monster Hunter World. Bought it some weeks ago, when there was a discount on PSN, played for 2 boring hours and uninstalled it again. Probably it is more fun with other players, but for me it felt somehow unpolished and not engaging at all.

Perhaps it is also a game, where you need to have a ton of free time on hand to enjoy, which I don't have as a father of 2 young children, but I had fun with every other game on the list I have played.

DelireMan7

Mario is synonym of overrated for me (I have the feeling just releasing a Mario game whatever the game is about, people will praise it like it's their new god). So I'll go for Odyssey.

I haven't play everything from this list but from the one I played Sekiro is also pretty overrated for me. So surprised it got the GOTY award.

DavidGzz

Did you play with mouse and keyboard? Cause I felt the same way once I switched to that. I never play action RPG's in that fashion but for some reason it felt better to me there. I loved it on PC, especially with some quality of life mods.

Last of Us 2 and Uncharted 4, both have huge pacing problems.

Just gone through Uncharted 1 and 2 and both are wonderfully paced. The wheels start to fall off in 3 and completely disengaged by 4.

Unfortunately, I don't see ND returning to the great pacing phase with all the talent they've lost

Pre-purchased on PC from a Gaffer months before release - 17 CDN
Pre-Ordered it on PS4 ... 30 to 45 % off
GamePASS XboxONE

Still doesn't answer why you did that if you hated it

I also don't understand pre ordering on multiple systems

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
BOTW. I saw a few 11/10 reviews, which is the literal definition of overrated.
Still doesn't answer why you did that if you hated it

I also don't understand pre ordering on multiple systems

I pre-ordered due to the GAF hype. One gaffer was selling PC Steam key for 17 CDN like 8 months before release and at that time I didn't have a gaming PC. The retail game price on steam was 59 or 69.99

As for PS4, I got a deal for 39.99 pre order when the retrail price was 79.99

These prices are in CDN $$$

Guilty_AI

Either The Witcher 3, RDR2 or God of War for me. I decided to go with God of war because at least RDR2 had a really great story and TW3 had a lot of really good side quests, both of which explain people's reactions to a certain degree.
Meanwhile GoW is just 'fine'. It got praised all around for a lot of things but in reality its really just 'fine', i've seen nothing to justify the overwhelming praise it gets.

The only reason i don't include TLoU2 is because a lot of people saw through this journalistic praise shit and openly criticized it, so i wouldn't exactly say it was overrated aside from official reviews.

Last edited:

DogofWar

Should I ever start dating or recruit new friends I will present them with this poll. Anyone answering Bloodborne is out immediately.

Seriously, did you not find the weapons in the beginning and tried to kill every single enemy using pebbles or how can you say that game is bad?

I haven't played all games on this list but voted for RDR2. It just did not captivate me at all the way the first one did.

Was a tough one really with Red Dead on the list, but I voted Breath of the Wild. Love the franchise, but given all the hype I was expecting a lot more from it, unless there's some inexplicable improvements to the Switch version that makes it naff on WiiU 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom