• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most popular game console on Black Friday 2021 isn't the PlayStation 5 — it's the $300 Xbox Series S (due to availability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
Argos in the UK sold out again, must have shipped some units.

Seems to be available to be shipped....

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8448248?clickSR=slp:term:xbox series s:1:197:1

Edit: Available for pick up today....

s2UuAuC.png

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Is there a reason why Microsoft can pump out a lot more series s than series x?

I know everyone will claim it is because no one wants one, that's why they are readily available, but are the parts inside the little machine more readily available?

Because I feel surely Microsoft would use these parts on the more expensive series x instead, if they did use mostly the same parts.

Last edited:

I know everyone will claim it is because no one wants one, but are the parts inside the little machine more readily available?

Because I feel surely Microsoft would use these parts on the more expensive series x instead, if they did use mostly the same parts.
That's a good question. A member here on GAF said they use the same hard to get components/ressources, but i still can't believe it.

wolffy71

Banned
There's no doubt that people are just gonna start to get impatient. I think a lot of people were hoping for a big holiday supply. No alas, we're screwed

anthony2690

Banned
That's a good question. A member here on GAF said they use the same hard to get components/ressources, but i still can't believe it.
I honestly can't believe that either.
I ordered a series x for a mate, who has been struggling all year in the UK, and it won't arrive till the 17 December latest, I assume it was a back order/preorder or whatever, I ordered this nearly two weeks ago as well!
But series s stock, seems to very frequently replenish compared to the series x.

Last edited:
I honestly can't believe that either.
I ordered a series x for a mate, who has been struggling all year in the UK, and it won't arrive till the 17 December latest, I assume it was a like order preorder or whatever, I ordered this nearly two weeks ago as well!
But series s stock, seems to very frequently replenish compared to the series x.
I mean it could be possible, because Microsoft thinks they will sell more S than X. Maybe the just ordered much more S and so S is faster in stock. They also needed lots of Series X for their servers farms mid year.

anthony2690

Banned
I mean it could be possible, because Microsoft thinks they will sell more S than X. Maybe the just ordered much more S and so S is faster in stock. They also needed lots of Series X for their servers farms mid year.
Ah yeah, I completely forgot about the cloud server farm, I can imagine that is the reason why the series x is in stock less frequent, wonder how many systems they are using for these cloud servers.

Ah yeah, I completely forgot about the cloud server farm, I can imagine that is the reason why the series x is in stock less frequent, wonder how many systems they are using for these cloud servers.
Yeah that would be interesting to know. I think at least tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands.

kingfey

Banned
I think you severely underestimate the demand for proper next gen console. Theres a reason both of these machines are scalpers primary target and nobody bothers to do the same for Series S.
And you are severely underestimating the number of people who will spend 500$ easily.

Xss is in perfect time. Pandemic, and its 300$ console. Perfect for people with low income who wants the new console.

Rykan

And you are severely underestimating the number of people who will spend 500$ easily.

Xss is in perfect time. Pandemic, and its 300$ console. Perfect for people with low income who wants the new console.
Yeah okay, that’s why the ps5 and xsx are in a constant state of sold out and are the primary target for scalpers.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah okay, that’s why the ps5 and xsx are in a constant state of sold out and are the primary target for scalpers.
Because of early birds. People who have money to spend on.
First year will always go to these guys. Its what comes after.

The ps4 sold alot, because of the 300$ price, which parents were able to afford them. Same thing for switch.

These 2 consoles are 500$. These normal families who bought these consoles for their kids won't afford that much in this pandemic. Its why that XSS is great target for them.

Until both companies lower the price for both consoles in the future, it won't sell alot.

FyI. Ps5 is at 13m while Xseries is 8.5. That is 1/11 ps4, and 1/6 x1. We still haven't reached those audiences.

DaGwaphics

I mean to be fair many of us said XSS would be big at Christmas, i mean its totally obvious, and that was before launch when we didnt know how bad supply issues would be for PS5 and XSX.

I also wonder if Microsoft held back any XSX stock for Christmas, just so they can say they 'had a great November and December'. XSX availability seems to of been even worse than normal the last 3 or 4 months.

I wonder if there are a lot of the Halo custom consoles on the ready for Halo day.

DaGwaphics

I know everyone will claim it is because no one wants one, that's why they are readily available, but are the parts inside the little machine more readily available?

XSS uses basically the same parts, but less of everything (smaller APU, fewer memory modules, less nand, etc.). Plus, manufacturing it in good numbers might help MS keep pace in the overall next-gen race, depending on how much contention there is over silicone. If the S model didn't exist, there would likely be a lot fewer Series systems on the market, it wouldn't be a 1:1 flip IMO.

XSS uses basically the same parts, but less of everything (smaller APU, fewer memory modules, less nand, etc.). Plus, manufacturing it in good numbers might help MS keep pace in the overall next-gen race, depending on how much contention there is over silicone. If the S model didn't exist, there would likely be a lot fewer Series systems on the market, it wouldn't be a 1:1 flip IMO.
You can also air fright the Series S during the port grid locks. Series S is a way smaller and lighter package than Series X or PS5.

Just everything is so much easier with Series S

Mr Moose

Must be my postcode, can't pick up or have a delivery here.
Good people can get something for Xmas, I'm sure retailers would rather have something to sell than not.
Argos are out of stock for me, too (collection and delivery).
Amazon has them if anyone needs one, delivery for tomorrow with Prime:

FREE delivery: Tomorrow
Order within 8 hrs 54 mins

Smyths and Curry's has them in stock, also.

Hezekiah

Banned
Argos are out of stock for me, too (collection and delivery).
Amazon has them if anyone needs one, delivery for tomorrow with Prime:

FREE delivery: Tomorrow
Order within 8 hrs 54 mins

Smyths and Curry's has them in stock, also.
Amazon always has them in stock, and you can get it delivered for tomorrow with Prime here.

Arioco

It looks like Microsoft is prioritizing Series S production over Series X. I'm sure most people would like to get a Series X, but Series S is selling just as much (or even more) and that's just because their availability is very different. In my country for instance you can buy a Series S whenever you want, I see them available every day and even below the official 299€. But getting a Series X or a PS5 has become almost impossible, even though Microsoft consoles don't usually have a huge demand over here. There seem to be very few Series X units on sale and when I see them available (which is not very often) they only last a few minutes. Series X is a expensive piece of hardware to manufacture, MS is probably loosing money on each unit they sell and I think they've just realised that Series S is more profitable.

The series S is an excellent entry point into next gen. Good business strategy by MS, the goal is to democratize access/creation, you do that by lowering barriers to entry!

I suspect this little machine will only gain momentum moving forward!

Switch / Series S makes a great economical combo.
Nvidia and AMD do the same thing on the PC front with different GPU SKUs depending on what consumers want. It makes perfect sense. It's a good thing MS didn't skimp on the CPU because the GPU is the most scalable part. Glad to see more consumers will be able to game in the coming months and years.

Nvidia and AMD do the same thing on the PC front with different GPU SKUs depending on what consumers want. It makes perfect sense. It's a good thing MS didn't skimp on the CPU because the GPU is the most scalable part. Glad to see more consumers will be able to game in the coming months and years.
Absolutely ! People often forget that the enthusiats make up only a very small portion of consumers! Consumers are value driven, whatever offers the most value wins. If you have a family you can't beat a cheap GPU or a Series S W/GamePass

Neo_game

It looks like Microsoft is prioritizing Series S production over Series X. I'm sure most people would like to get a Series X, but Series S is selling just as much (or even more) and that's just because their availability is very different. In my country for instance you can buy a Series S whenever you want, I see them available every day and even below the official 299€. But getting a Series X or a PS5 has become almost impossible, even though Microsoft consoles don't usually have a huge demand over here. There seem to be very few Series X units on sale and when I see them available (which is not very often) they only last a few minutes. Series X is a expensive piece of hardware to manufacture, MS is probably loosing money on each unit they sell and I think they've just realised that Series S is more profitable.

SS is not profitable either but definitely they can produce more. For every 1 million XS they can probably do 1.8million I guess because SS chip size is 197 compared to 360 mm² for the SX

ethomaz

Banned
Doubtful.
Here is our local expert telling us that it's the least desirable console:
You know both are true, no?

Series S is indeed the least desired console but when you don’t have the others what you buy?

In simple terms if there is PS5 or Series 5 available most people buying Series S may ending buying PS5/Series X instead.

Last edited:
Absolutely ! People often forget that the enthusiats make up only a very small portion of consumers! Consumers are value driven, whatever offers the most value wins. If you have a family you can't beat a cheap GPU or a Series S W/GamePass
Everyone keeps talking about how great of a value the Series S is but just because something is cheap does not make it valuable.

The lack of having a disc drive will make buying games expensive for it unless you plan to subscribe to game pass and pay $10 a month for the next 5-7 years (rest of the console gen).

Than you still have to buy another hard drive because the internal drive that comes with it is very low on storage for a all digital console. I don’t think it’s a good value but to each his own.

Hopefully MS, Sony and Nintendo can get more consoles out next year so everyone can get the consoles they really want without any issues.

Last edited:
SS is not profitable either but definitely they can produce more. For every 1 million XS they can probably do 1.8million I guess because SS chip size is 197 compared to 360 mm² for the SX
Out of all 4 next gen consoles, Series S is definitely the most profitable one.

It can't be overstated how cheap that console is to produce and ship compared to PS5 and Series X.

The ranking is XSS > PS5 > XSX > PS5 DE
When it comes to hardware margin.

Everyone keeps talking about how great of a value the Series S is but just because something is cheap does not make it valuable.

The lack of having a disc drive will make buying games expensive for it unless you plan to subscribe to game pass and pay $10 a month for the next 5-7 years (rest of the console gen).

Than you still have to buy another hard drive because the internal drive it comes is very low on storage for a all digital console. I don’t think it’s a good value but to each his own.

Hopefully MS, Sony and Nintendo can get more consoles out next year so everyone can get the consoles they really want without any issues.

Lucikly math doesn't need your endorsement.

The series s is a great machine, everything is going digital consoles are just behind. PC made this transition years ago and its arguably the cheapest software eco system. Your arguments rest upon assumptions that are completely divorced from reality.

Also sub services have only gotten more popular , people have been subscribed to things for years but staying subscribed to GP is somehow unfathomable....... right

Last edited:

MaulerX

People gobbling up Series S's because that's the only thing they can find proves it was a great decision by MS to offer a cheaper alternative that's probably easier to produce and cheaper to ship.

I know they didn't forsee this happening but the pandemic, chip shortages and the volatile economic market combined with an attractive price point has really helped to push this over the top.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
And you are saying those systems won't sell then? Just because something is in stock doesn't mean it isn't selling. The original argument was that it would be discontinued. Now it's 'it' s not outselling PS5!' Pretty big distinction. Goal posts have moved.
You just strawmanned an argument I didn't make and tell me I've moved the goal posts?

I never said they would never sell and I never said they would be discontinued. But the facts are that the other consoles are soldout as soon as they are available versus the Series S who stays available for quite a while longer, meaning less demand for it.

The series s is a great machine, everything is going digital consoles are just behind. PC made this transition years ago and its arguably the cheapest software eco system. Your arguments rest upon assumptions that are completely divorced from reality.

Also sub services have only gotten more popular , people have been subscribed to things for years but staying subscribed to GP is somehow unfathomable right
If you don’t like having options than your correct, the series S is the perfect console for you.

No option for using discs or blu rays, no option to use 4K content in the future and less gameplay performance with some games (Gap will only get bigger in the future).

If you don’t like having options than your correct, the series S is the perfect console for you.

No option for using discs or blu rays, no option to use 4K content in the future and less gameplay performance with some games (Gap will only get bigger in the future).
Sure, this is nonsense. @ me again when you have something of relevance/consequence to say instead of wasting your time trying to stealth troll so corny.

Topher

Gold Member

Also sub services have only gotten more popular , people have been subscribed to things for years but staying subscribed to GP is somehow unfathomable....... right

PC game publishers don't have to worry about the money they have tied up in physical inventories like they do with consoles though. Digital pricing in consoles won't be comparable to PC until consoles follow the same entirely digital path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom