• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most popular game console on Black Friday 2021 isn't the PlayStation 5 — it's the $300 Xbox Series S (due to availability)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC game publishers don't have to worry about the money they have tied up in physical inventories like they do with consoles though. Digital pricing in consoles won't be comparable to PC until consoles follow the same entirely digital path.
All of this is very very obvious and is embedded in the argument. Physical copies dont make sense, you just end up downloading most of the game anyway. No utility in physical, just a bunch of dinosaurs on here cant come to grips with the future.

Wulfer

I'd say MS game plan is working pretty good.

Step one play nice to get through Xbox One but, don't alienate this userbase. (Cloud gaming included in the hardware to keep those gamers happy.) Also secretly have chats with Bethesda and others about what they want as a gaming partner. Cancel any projects/studios with creative problems (The Dark Ages)
Step two have Halo and Forza Horzion 5 ready for the 4th quarter of the one year anniversary of X and S.
Step three Use Xbox One days to develop and push Gamepass.
Step four merge PC gaming and Xbox gaming bases. Everyone plays together and increases the userbase 10 fold.
Step five develop the most powerful hardware on the planet for and console and make the most powerful hardware possible for a 1080p HDTV. Both must have access to cloud and Gamepass.
Step six once consoles X and S are released focus on third party growth and Gamepass.
Step seven announce Bethesda purchase and new exclusive games.
Step eight never have empty hardware shelves on 4th quarter with high caliber releases.

We are currently on Step eight and this has been a great plan for MS. Phil should be proud.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
All of this is very very obvious and is embedded in the argument. Physical copies dont make sense, you just end up downloading most of the game anyway. No utility in physical, just a bunch of dinosaurs on here cant come to grips with the future.

Your opinion on physical is not relevant though. Why even bother talking about the "future" in reference to XSS when XSS games are still tied to physical disc pricing and will be as long as XSX has a drive? Factually MatrixReloaded101 MatrixReloaded101 is correct that the XSS has fewer options than XSX. You don't have to like it, but that is the truth.

Neo_game

Out of all 4 next gen consoles, Series S is definitely the most profitable one.

It can't be overstated how cheap that console is to produce and ship compared to PS5 and Series X.

The ranking is XSS > PS5 > XSX > PS5 DE
When it comes to hardware margin.

According to this PS5 is only 308 mm². This is heart and the brain of the console and cost deciding factor.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-5-gpu.c3480

Sony has overengineered to keep the cost as low as possible. There was also a thread where newer PS5 model have lesser, different heat sink. I will not be surprised if PS5 at 500$ is giving better margin than SS at 300$

Your opinion on physical is not relevant though. Why even bother talking about the "future" in reference to XSS when XSS games are still tied to physical disc pricing and will be as long as XSX has a drive? Factually MatrixReloaded101 MatrixReloaded101 is correct that the XSS has fewer options than XSX. You don't have to like it, but that is the truth.
Mhm argue this non-sense with yourself bye.

Topher

Gold Member
Mhm argue this non-sense with yourself bye.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
According to this PS5 is only 308 mm². This is heart and the brain of the console and cost deciding factor.

Sony has overengineered to keep the cost as low as possible. There was also a thread where newer PS5 model have lesser, different heat sink. I will not be surprised if PS5 at 500$ is giving better margin than SS at 300$

They changed the heatsink to use less copper due to the price on copper skyrocketing during the pandemic. It probably costs the same to make when you adjust for that.

kingfey

Banned
You know both are true, no?

Series S is indeed the least desired console but when you don’t have the others what you buy?

In simple terms if there is PS5 or Series 5 available most people buying Series S may ending buying PS5/Series X instead.
Series S isnt the least desired console.
Just because the console is less weaker than XSX doesnt make it shit.

How many PlayStation users will buy XSX? How many people care about the graphics in the 1st place?

The only downside for the console is the storage. Otherwise, it can play those games.

Xbox one, which was worse than normal ps4 was around. People bought it and played on it.

Graphics is only for these salty gamers, who wants pretty looks. Outside gamers, no one gives a shit about it. Or else no one would have bought the switch.

ethomaz

Banned
Series S isnt the least desired console.
Just because the console is less weaker than XSX doesnt make it shit.

How many PlayStation users will buy XSX? How many people care about the graphics in the 1st place?

The only downside for the console is the storage. Otherwise, it can play those games.

Xbox one, which was worse than normal ps4 was around. People bought it and played on it.

Graphics is only for these salty gamers, who wants pretty looks. Outside gamers, no one gives a shit about it. Or else no one would have bought the switch.
It is the least desired console.

You have 3 consoles (4 if you separate PS5 DE) in the market and Series S is less desired than others.

Switch key features lies in being a hybrid portable so it doesn’t compete with consoles… it is alone in the market until Steam Desk.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Factually incorrect. You get better deals with physical games all the time, even at launch. Like buying 80€ games for 60€. Digital is always more expensive.
Wrong. You get better sales with digital sales, compared to physical.

main good thing about these sales, is deluxe edition sales. Much better than physical sales.

Hoddi

I don't think the APU is the most expensive component any more. A single 16gbit GDDR6 chip costs almost $30 these days. Sony/MS will obviously have different contracts but even at half price then it's still $120 for the 8 chips in a PS5.

Given the shortage then I don't think it's surprising that MS would prioritize the Series S. It only needs 5 chips compared with 6+4 in the X so they can probably produce a lot more of them. And in return they gain more GP subscribers and software sales.

kingfey

Banned
It is the least desired console.

You have 3 consoles (4 if you separate PS5 DE) in the market and Series S is less desired than others.

Switch key features lies in being a hybrid portable so it doesn’t compete with consoles.
Its not. If you go with online forums, Yes, it is. But outside forums, its not.

The price is the main factor why its much desirable than the rest. Having a cheap gaming console entry is great deal for those who cant afford it. Which makes it up majority of console gamers.

If ps5 had a model like the xss, it would have outsold the other ps5.

Concern

bbc lol GIF

Watching the back and forth over sales is always amusing lol. Never got the obsession as long as they're successful.

ethomaz

Banned
Its not. If you go with online forums, Yes, it is. But outside forums, its not.

The price is the main factor why its much desirable than the rest. Having a cheap gaming console entry is great deal for those who cant afford it. Which makes it up majority of console gamers.

If ps5 had a model like the xss, it would have outsold the other ps5.
It is like I said.

You have several excuse why you brought a Series S over a Series X but none will be why it was more desired.

If you give free to anybody to choose either the Series S or the Series X… I’m sure you understand now which is more desired.

MS created it as a cheaper option to these that desire a Series X.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
With gamepass, physical games arent on the table for xbox gamers.

You have this option too.

It is like I said.

You have several excuse why you brought a Series S over a Series X but none will be why it was more desired.

If you give free to anybody to choose either the Series S or the Series X… I’m sure you understand now which is more desired.
Well ya know they aren’t free so it doesn’t matter.

real life families spending real life hard earned money dont gaf about what some random thinks on a niche forum.

Price is king.

kingfey

Banned
It is like I said.

Free would be xsx. no argument on that.

But when you have both at $300 to $500 price point, people will go for the $300, since it can basically play the $500 games.

It is like I said.

If you give free to anybody to choose a Series S or Series X… I’m sure you understand now which is more desired.

Yes a free choice between a $300 Xbox console and a $500 Xbox console why would anyone pick the $300 one?

What matters is when you factor in the price. Otherwise why is the XSS even $200 less in the first place? No offense but what a stupid post.

And the other guy is right, sure amongst hardcore gamers on Internet forums, the XSS might be the least desired console. But clearly not out in the wild. Similar to how if you went by internet feedback, Call of Duty would sell eleven copies a year and yet it sells tens of millions.

ethomaz

Banned
Free would be xsx. no argument on that.

But when you have both at $300 to $500 price point, people will go for the $300, since it can basically play the $500 games.
So you are not talking about desire.

We are in agreement but aí don’t understand why you disagreed with my comment 🤔

ethomaz

Banned
Yes a free choice between a $300 Xbox console and a $500 Xbox console why would anyone pick the $300 one?

What matters is when you factor in the price. Otherwise why is the XSS even $200 less in the first place? No offense but what a stupid post.

And the other guy is right, sure amongst hardcore gamers on Internet forums, the XSS might be the least desired console. But clearly not out in the wild. Similar to how if you went by internet feedback, Call of Duty would sell eleven copies a year and yet it sells tens of millions.
You don’t factor price in desires.

If you put price in the equation you are already making compromises and not following your desire.

You can choose to buy anything you want based in several reasons but that doesn’t make it was what you desired.

Series S is still the least desired Series console not matter the reason that make it sells more.

Edit - Fixed typo.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
And the other guy is right, sure amongst hardcore gamers on Internet forums, the XSS might be the least desired console. But clearly not out in the wild.
My friend and I play Sea of Thieves multiple times a week. He also plays CoD, Borderlands, and some Fortnite. He'll never pay $500 for a console, but he'll pay $300 without much thought (he's still on a launch Xbox One he got for $300).

It is like I said.

MS created it as a cheaper option to these that desire a Series X.
I'm a hardcore gamer and chose 2 Series S over any Series X (I sold my launch unit and even flipped a Halo Bundle)
So I had the chance to just get a Series X.

The Series S is more desirable.
I got one for 299 and the other for 222.
That's 2 Series S for the price of one X.

How is that not better value?

ethomaz

Banned
I'm a hardcore gamer and chose 2 Series S over any Series X (I sold my launch unit and even flipped a Halo Bundle)
So I had the chance to just get a Series X.

I got one for 299 and the other for 222.
That's 2 Series S for the price of one X.

Now you can tell the real reason you choose a Series S over Series X…

Be honest with us… it was not desire… if not you should not even brought the Series X to begin with.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
So you are not talking about desire.

We are in agreement but aí don’t understand why you disagreed with my comment 🤔
You said the xss is the least desired.
My main point was, the price makes it desirable.

I am from a background, where I am getting 500$ for my weekly paycheck. Majority of people in this country falls in to this category. A console at that price is good option for us gamers. No matter how strong that console is, That price is determent for us gamers.

Haggard

Banned
You said the xss is the least desired.
My main point was, the price makes it desirable.

You two can`t differentiate between "value/bang for buck" and "desirable/gimme gimme"

Cheaper doesn`t make it more desirable. A Lada is not more desirable than a Ferrari just because it`s cheaper......

Last edited:

FrankWza

And you are saying those systems won't sell then? Just because something is in stock doesn't mean it isn't selling. The original argument was that it would be discontinued. Now it's 'it' s not outselling PS5!' Pretty big distinction. Goal posts have moved.
If you predict someone with stage 4 has 6 months to live will die before everyone else in their group and then a supervirus comes that only people with cancer are immune to and kills their friends before the stage 4 guy. Then yes, you were wrong about the stage 4 guy dying first. Oops. The s is doing well on a completely circumstantial scenario of Msoft making more s and not being able to make x because of chip shortages and then needling the x chips for their servers.

Edit: I can order 2 different s versions right this second on GameStop for retail and they’re not even bundling it with accessories or games and you get a gamepass discount

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You two can`t differentiate between "value" and "desirable"

Cheaper doesn`t make it more desirable. A Lada is not more desirable than a Ferrari just because it`s cheaper......

desire: a strong feeling of wanting to have something

you desire something, if you are going to buy it. If you got the money, you have the desire to buy it.

Cornbread78

In NA It's easily available yes.
The big boys don't make it to the shelves.
Yup, I work at WM part time and we get Ser S's in pretty often, but not a single PS5/SeX since before last Christmas. Maybe they will go back on shelves once scalpers stop beating up mothers and other people to get them and/or paying people to go buy them to bypass the "1 per party" rule...

Last edited:

Reallink

So why has MS not dramatically scaled back production on the S and used all those wafers and in demand components to produce more X's? There is clearly a demand gap. They're the same process node aren't they? And the primary shortage is the main APU? Can we perhaps conclude that profits are higher in the S?

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
desire: a strong feeling of wanting to have something

you desire something, if you are going to buy it. If you got the money, you have the desire to buy it.
nonsense.... desire isn`t bound by logic and pragmatism like the reality of the weight of your wallet. If people have the unconditional choice the Ferrari/XSX always wins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom