• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most popular game console on Black Friday 2021 isn't the PlayStation 5 — it's the $300 Xbox Series S (due to availability)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riky

$MSFT
They aren’t. Returnal is a new IP and ratchet has never been synonymous with the PlayStation brand. Halo, gears and Forza are 3 franchises that people associate with xbox brand. That’s not what I see, it’s just how things are.

And? One of the games was a Gears game, at launch.
So by your reckoning Sony haven't managed to release a "flagship" title in the whole lifetime of the console.

MonarchJT

Banned
And plenty of other games will be on those "other platforms" and not on XSS. What's your point?
comparing the number of studios developing exclusives i think will be lots more the opposite in the next years....it's like 23 studios from Ms...and 14 from Sony?

Last edited:

twilo99

I'm surprised the price didn't dip into the $250 range for the S.. maybe Christmas? Its coming for sure, its just a matter of time.

And yes, this machine is a great deal at $300..

ManaByte

ratchet has never been synonymous with the PlayStation brand
A franchise that's always been 100% exclusive to PlayStation by one of their flagship studios isn't synonymous with PlayStation?

Come On Reaction GIF

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's pretty naïve.

This thread sums it up, some people buy it just because there is nothing else to buy.

A fair few people in there wanted something / anything and immediately regretted it. And go on to advice the OP against the idea. It happens.
You know you linked to a thread here, right?

FrankWza

And? One of the games was a Gears game, at launch.
So by your reckoning Sony haven't managed to release a "flagship" title in the whole lifetime of the console.
It was a gears rts game. Neither ratchet or Returnal are to PS what gears and halo and forza are to xbox. If Sony gimped production to subsidize their lesser console right before gran turismo you could make the same claim.
A franchise that's always been 100% exclusive to PlayStation by one of their flagship studios isn't synonymous with PlayStation?

Come On Reaction GIF
You know what I mean if you read for context. I’m surprised you had time to post this? Shouldn’t you be on the phone with your lawyers trying to get that free series s?

true romance GIF by Morgan Creek

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
comparing the number of studios developing exclusives i think will be lots more the opposite in the next years....it's like 23 studios from Ms...and 14 from Sony?

I didn't even mention Sony. Microsoft beefed up their studios which they desperately need to do and that's fine. That doesn't change the fact that there are still plenty of compelling games on other platforms.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It was a gears rts game. Neither ratchet or Returnal are to PS what gears and halo and forza are to xbox. If Sony gimped production to subsidize their lesser console right before gran turismo you could make the same claim.

None of what you're saying means anything, there is a worldwide chip shortage, it's nothing to do with "gimping" anything.
You said they hadn't released any first party titles for a year, that was a lie.
Since the chip shortage is continuing and word is it could go on to 2023 then there isn't going to be available PS5 consoles before Forbidden West or GT7.
Will you be making the same ridiculous statements then, I doubt it.

FrankWza

None of what you're saying means anything, there is a worldwide chip shortage, it's nothing to do with "gimping" anything.
You said they hadn't released any first party titles for a year, that was a lie.
Since the chip shortage is continuing and word is it could go on to 2023 then there isn't going to be available PS5 consoles before Forbidden West or GT7.
Will you be making the same ridiculous statements then, I doubt it.
Dude. This comment was part of the conversation I was in that you replied to to start this chain. I assumed you were paying attention and were still aware I said this. That’s what I meant by gimped. They are taking those chips that could be allocated to their x production and are instead using them for their servers. At least, that’s is the speculation. Of course there is a chip shortage too. The PS5 production cannot be gimped to use their chips in a lesser console because there is no lesser console. They have 2 skus that are identical aside from the disk drive.
The speculation is that they need the x chips to boost their servers so they are making s to have something on shelves and it’s easier to source components.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Aside from availability, it's almost as if this was the plan for the Series S all along: to be base $ entry for next gen and move a lot of units (especially during holidays).

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Dude. This comment was part of the conversation I was in that you replied to to start this chain. I assumed you were paying attention and were still aware I said this. That’s what I meant by gimped. They are taking those chips that could be allocated to their x production and are instead using them for their servers. At least, that’s is the speculation. Of course there is a chip shortage too. The PS5 production cannot be gimped to use their chips in a lesser console because there is no lesser console. They have 2 skus that are identical aside from the disk drive.

Try maths.
They can make more Series S out of a wafer than Series X as it's smaller. So more people can play those "flagship" games.

FrankWza

Try maths.
They can make more Series S out of a wafer than Series X as it's smaller. So more people can play those "flagship" games.
On a lesser console. It costs less so there’s some math. It’s less powerful so the specs are lower so theres more math and it’s less in demand. Which is what I was saying. They released 2 of their 3 flagship titles and their flagship device is unavailable because they are using one of the 2 scenarios that you and I are representing to produce more s than x. They are taking a representative approach instead of putting their best foot forward with the series x. So if it’s your reason with splitting wafers or my reason with using it for their servers they are still gimping production of the series x to produce more s.

Riky

$MSFT
On a lesser console. It costs less so there’s some math. It’s less powerful so the specs are lower so theres more math and it’s less in demand. Which is what I was saying. They released 2 of their 3 flagship titles and their flagship device is unavailable because they are using one of the 2 scenarios that you and I are representing to produce more s than x. They are taking a representative approach instead of putting their best foot forward with the series x. So if it’s your reason with splitting wafers or my reason with using it for their servers they are still gimping production of the series x to produce more s.

I'm sure they are more interested in more people signing up for Gamepass and selling more games by having more users, they are not interested in your "flagship" "gimping" or putting "best foot forward" they want more paying customers, which is what they are getting.

People keep mentioning studio numbers like that's the most important. I don't get it.
Sony has at least 5 or 6 studios doing more than 1 fully AAA title. It's about how many teams and how many games are in production.

. Insomniac is doing Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine.
. Naughty Dog is doing TLOU Remake, Factions and as far as I know they are working on the Uncharted collection internally (for the PS5. PC is someone else)
. Sony Santa Monica is working on God of War and Cory is working on a new IP since he finished God of War in 2018.
. Guerrilla is doing Horizon and another game. We're hearing about this since last year
. Sony's recently acquired studio Firespeite is working in 2 big games and a smaller sized one.

I just mentioned 5 studios and 12 games in full production.

Sony has a well oiled machine right now and they know it. People keep throwing the number of studios like it's the most important and it's weird..
Meanwhile MS had to hire Crystal Dynamics to help one of their internal studios developing a single game.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Aside of the mumbo jumbo talk which i dont understand, there us demand for the console.

Ms isnt stupid to make a console, if there isn't any demand for it. They know there is a market for it. And they have the killer app for those people.

Gamepass is what will move this console and MS knows it. Its why its 300$ and has gamepass tag with it.

kingfey

Banned
People keep mentioning studio numbers like that's the most important. I don't get it.
Sony has at least 5 or 6 studios doing more than 1 fully AAA title. It's about how many teams and how many games are in production.

Naughty Dog is doing TLOU Remake, Factions and as far as I know they are working on the Uncharted collection internally (for the PS5. PC is someone else)
. Sony Santa Monica is working on God of War and Cory is working on a new IP since he finished God of War in 2018.
. Guerrilla is doing Horizon and another game. We're hearing about this since last year
. Sony's recently acquired studio Firespeite is working in 2 big games and a smaller sized one.

Sony has a well oiled machine right now and they know it. People keep throwing the number of studios like it's the most important and it's weird..
Ms haven't focused on 1st party games last gen. Sony on other hand focused on their 1st party from ps3.

FrankWza

I'm sure they are more interested in more people signing up for Gamepass and selling more games by having more users, they are not interested in your "flagship" "gimping" or putting "best foot forward" they want more paying customers, which is what they are getting.
Sure. Something is better than nothing.
Aside of the mumbo jumbo talk which i dont understand, there us demand for the console.

Ms isnt stupid to make a console, if there isn't any demand for it. They know there is a market for it. And they have the killer app for those people.

Gamepass is what will move this console and MS knows it. Its why its 300$ and has gamepass tag with it.
kenan thompson snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

MonarchJT

Banned

. Naughty Dog is doing TLOU Remake, Factions and as far as I know they are working on the Uncharted collection internally (for the PS5. PC is someone else)

Meanwhile MS had to hire Crystal Dynamics to help one of their internal studios developing a single game.
This also applies to the 23 studios.most of them have seen an exponential growth of the team after the acquisition .. almost everyone is working on at least two projects, some even 3. playground, ninja theory, 343i,coalition, just Bethesda is working on 4 games or more etc etc. Hiring external people is so much normal ...6 studios helped doing the last of us 2 if I'm not wrong .

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
This also applies to the 23 studios.most of them have seen an exponential growth of the team after the acquisition .. almost everyone is working on at least two projects, some even 3. playground, ninja theory, 343i, etc etc. Hiring external people is so much normal ...6 studios helped doing the last of us 2 if I'm not wrong .
The 23 studios, aside of the main studios haven't made anything exclusive for MS.

The 1st exclusive would be this summer, which is redfall. After that Starfield.

AaA studios take 4-6 years to make games. Last of us 2 took 6-7 years to make. God of war took too long since last God of war game. Same for horizon zero down.

Playstation is waiting until 2022 to get God of war 2, that is if its releasing next year, and won't get any more delays. That is how long these games take.

Ms wont see any return soon from the studios they bought.

MonarchJT

Banned
The 23 studios, aside of the main studios haven't made anything exclusive for MS.

The 1st exclusive would be this summer, which is redfall. After that Starfield.

AaA studios take 4-6 years to make games. Last of us 2 took 6-7 years to make. God of war took too long since last God of war game. Same for horizon zero down.

Playstation is waiting until 2022 to get God of war 2, that is if its releasing next year, and won't get any more delays. That is how long these games take.

Ms wont see any return soon from the studios they bought.
You probably need to look back at both publishers' roadmaps and realize how much weight the acquisitions Microsoft has made in recent years

• 343 industries: Halo Infinite, unannounced game in Halo universe
  • Compulsion Games: Unannounced third-person action game
  • Double Fine: Unannounced projects, Psychonauts 2
  • inXile: Project Cobalt, Wasteland 3 updates
  • Mojang: Minecraft updates, Minecraft Dungeons updates, two unannounced projects
  • Ninja Theory: Project Mara, Hellblade II
  • Obsidian Entertainment: Grounded 1.0, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, unannounced project
  • Playground Games: Forza Horizon 5, Fable
  • The Coalition: Gears of War, unannounced project
  • Rare: Sea of Thieves updates, Everwild
  • The Initiative: Perfect Dark
  • Turn 10: Forza Motorsport 8
  • Undead Labs: State of Decay 3
  • World's Edge: Age of Empires IV, partner projects
  • Bethesda Softworks: Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout 76 updates
  • id Software: Unannounced projects
  • Arkane Studios: Deathloop, RedFall
  • Tango Gameworks: GhostWire Toyko, unannounced project
  • Machine Games: Indiana Jones, Wolfenstein III
  • ZeniMax Online: Elder Scrolls Online, unannounced projects
  • Xbox Publishing: Project Indus, Project Dragon, Project Belfry, Project Shaolin, As Dusk Falls, Contraband
Some of them just released

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They haven't seen any return from Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, Skyrim Anniversary, Quake or Deathloop?
Deathloop, ps5 exclusive. F76 last gen, eso last gen, quake last gen, skyrim Anniversary last gen.

Starfield is their return.

kingfey

Banned
You probably need to look back at both publishers' roadmaps and realize how much weight the acquisitions Microsoft has made in recent years

• 343 industries: Halo Infinite, unannounced game in Halo universe
  • Compulsion Games: Unannounced third-person action game
  • Double Fine: Unannounced projects, Psychonauts 2
  • inXile: Project Cobalt, Wasteland 3 updates
  • Mojang: Minecraft updates, Minecraft Dungeons updates, two unannounced projects
  • Ninja Theory: Project Mara, Hellblade II
  • Obsidian Entertainment: Grounded 1.0, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, unannounced project
  • Playground Games: Forza Horizon 5, Fable
  • The Coalition: Gears of War, unannounced project
  • Rare: Sea of Thieves updates, Everwild
  • The Initiative: Perfect Dark
  • Turn 10: Forza Motorsport 8
  • Undead Labs: State of Decay 3
  • World's Edge: Age of Empires IV, partner projects
  • Bethesda Softworks: Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout 76 updates
  • id Software: Unannounced projects
  • Arkane Studios: Deathloop, RedFall
  • Tango Gameworks: GhostWire Toyko, unannounced project
  • Machine Games: Indiana Jones, Wolfenstein III
  • ZeniMax Online: Elder Scrolls Online, unannounced projects
  • Xbox Publishing: Project Indus, Project Dragon, Project Belfry, Project Shaolin, As Dusk Falls, Contraband
Some of them just released
All these means shit, if you don't have anything right now. And none of those studio, aside of the core one has anything to show for MS. Even Psychonauts 2 was multiplat.

2022 is their return from these studios.

Ms didn't even bother giving their IP to 2nd party, like Sony did with spiderman, before they bought Insomniac, or returnal, demon soul remake.

Industry is ruthless. Without gamepass, MS would have lost the momentum.

johnjohn

It still makes me laugh that a lot of people thought the Series S was going to be a failure when it was so obvious to some of us that it was a genius move by MS. And this is just the beginning, just wait until the more casual gamers decide they need a next-gen console, or when PS5 owners decide that they need a way to access Game Pass and all of the Xbox exclusives.

kingfey

Banned
They will be making money out of those games, so they are already seeing a return.
Those won't sell consoles. You helping other consoles.

Ps5 was taunting Deathloop as an exclusive console game, a ms 1st party game. How do you think general people will react to that? They won't associate that game with Xbox, because it isn't on that console.

Riky

$MSFT
Those won't sell consoles. You helping other consoles.

Ps5 was taunting Deathloop as an exclusive console game, a ms 1st party game. How do you think general people will react to that? They won't associate that game with Xbox, because it isn't on that console.

That's not what you said.
You said they won't see a return for a while, do you think they burn the money coming in from the games I mentioned?
They are getting a return on those games right now.

kingfey

Banned
That's not what you said.
You said they won't see a return for a while, do you think they burn the money coming in from the games I mentioned?
They are getting a return on those games right now.
A game that is exclusive to their system. I listed redfall and starfield for you.

Riky

$MSFT
A game that is exclusive to their system. I listed redfall and starfield for you.

It doesn't need to be exclusive to see a return from it, they receive money from every sale exclusive or not.
Therefore they are seeing a return from their purchase now.

kingfey

Banned
It doesn't need to be exclusive to see a return from it, they receive money from every sale exclusive or not.
Therefore they are seeing a return from their purchase now.
Money=/= their return.

They bought these companies for a reason. and if they cant get that reason right now, they arent seeing their return.

Riky

$MSFT
Money=/= their return.

They bought these companies for a reason. and if they cant get that reason right now, they arent seeing their return.

They are receiving money.
Do you think they buy these companies with no idea what their development roadmap is? Companies don't do these sort of deals for millions and billions of dollars and not know these things.

Ozriel

M$FT
You know both are true, no?

Series S is indeed the least desired console but when you don’t have the others what you buy?

In simple terms if there is PS5 or Series 5 available most people buying Series S may ending buying PS5/Series X instead.

bolded is mere conjecture on your part. It could be just as likely that most folks picking up the cheaper console are just price sensitive consumers who would have been reluctant to jump in at $499.

DaGwaphics

Industry is ruthless. Without gamepass, MS would have lost the momentum.

True. But for the first time, they put the money where it was needed to fix the problem going forward. It may take a minute, but it is certainly the best decision.

Previously, they had been propping up their launches with exclusives from third-parties. But that is hard to maintain, which created the pattern of Xbox generations starting strong and weakening as time went on (speaking of games). Hopefully now they can emulate Sony/Nintendo and have quality software releasing all throughout the generation.

kingfey

Banned
They are receiving money.
Do you think they buy these companies with no idea what their development roadmap is? Companies don't do these sort of deals for millions and billions of dollars and not know these things.
Money means nothing to a company that is trillion dollar. They need healthy base for their console. Games which will attract those people.

You dont buy something to get more money. You buy them, to have future investment. MS didnt buy bethesda, because they needed quick cash. They bought them, because it gives them new IPs for their new service. Same thing for the studios they bought.
IP is a king in content world. And you need new or existing IPs to get those content.

kingfey

Banned
True. But for the first time, they put the money where it was needed to fix the problem going forward. It may take a minute, but it is certainly the best decision.

Previously, they had been propping up their launches with exclusives from third-parties. But that is hard to maintain, which created the pattern of Xbox generations starting strong and weakening as time went on (speaking of games). Hopefully now they can emulate Sony/Nintendo and have quality software releasing all throughout the generation.
Buying bethesda was their 1st smart choice, getting in to the new gen. Having those new IP helps their new console.

twilo99

The usual people are freaking out that people might want and prefer a Series S. Who would have thought?
The Series S, especially with Game Pass is a great choice to enter the new gen.

Most people don't need the series x, just like most PC gamers don't need a 3080 and if you actually look on steam the GPU breakdown shows that a huge % of gamers have been using low end GPUs for a long time and that doesn't prevent them from enjoying all the "current generation" games.

The series s is perfectly fine for most people but the marketing/stigma around is very poor.

kingfey

Banned
Most people don't need the series x, just like most PC gamers don't need a 3080 and if you actually look on steam the GPU breakdown shows that a huge % of gamers have been using low end GPUs for a long time and that doesn't prevent them from enjoying all the "current generation" games.

The series s is perfectly fine for most people but the marketing/stigma around is very poor.
People cant seem to accept that fact. They think you need 3080 like console to enjoy the next gen games. Most pc gamers play dota, counter strike and those low end gaming pc games. same thing for consoles. Graphics or fps is just rich people's word.

ReBurn

Gold Member

People cant seem to accept that fact. They think you need 3080 like console to enjoy the next gen games. Most pc gamers play dota, counter strike and those low end gaming pc games. same thing for consoles. Graphics or fps is just rich people's word.
It's mainly for show on forums and social media where Series S gets hate. People who spend all of their time talking about video games are the ones who have the problem with it. People who actually play video games don't have a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom