• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mysterious Murasame Castle |OT| Takamaru Support Group

Forkball

PdrFL3T.jpg

inflUZe.jpg
62Ra8ht.jpg

HUPqVkr.jpg

USA: August 7 (Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console) $4.99
EU: May 29 (Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console) €4.99/£4.49
JPN: April 14 1986 (Famicom Disk System), August 10 2004 (Game Boy Advance), August 19 2008 (Wii Virtual Console), July 3 2013 (Nintendo 3DS eShop), July 30 2014 (Wii U Virtual Console) 514 円
qHwhROY.png
w18lwr5.jpg
1i3FbVC.jpg

RxNduQr.jpg

For the first time ever, The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Nazo no Murasame Jō) is coming to America! Often described as a fast-paced Zelda, the game is an action/adventure title that focuses on hectic combat and quick reflexes, with some exploration and plenty of secrets to find. Released in the same year as The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus, it has long been overshadowed by Nintendo’s other franchises. Takamaru finally gets his moment overseas with a 3DS Virtual Console release and an appearance as an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.
0FUlCEj.jpg
60Y5Uyi.png
FUwYH8o.png
BqjqS1i.png

4ORFBnp.jpg

From Wikipedia:
rMdSAmx.jpg

The game takes place in Edo period Japan ruled by the fourth shogun Tokugawa Ietsuna. Murasame Castle, located somewhere in Japan, houses a gigantic stone statue known as Murasame. The people lived peacefully until one stormy night, when a shining golden object fell onto the castle from the sky. Deafening shrieks arose from the castle, and the shining object is later revealed to be an alien creature who gives life to the stone statue Murasame and takes over the castle. The alien creature extends its power to four other neighboring castles, giving the daimyo lords each an evil sphere of power. The lords are taken over by the alien's evil power, and use the spheres to summon ninja armies and monsters to attack villagers. Hearing of these strange occurrences, the shogunate sends Takamaru, a samurai apprentice, on a secret mission to investigate the castle. As Takamaru, the player must infiltrate the four castles to defeat each castle lord, before going on to face the alien entity itself.

p154txD.jpg

Each level has two parts, a field and a castle interior. Areas have many branching paths that hide useful items, so you are encouraged to explore. Fields typically have more branching paths and areas, while castle interiors have fiercer enemies and a boss battle. Before you enter a castle, you have a chance to hit statues for power ups, which you’re going to need if you want to survive. Enemies include hordes of ninjas, tengu, demon masks, samurai, naginata twirlers, bomb chuckers, axe hurlers and more. Let’s take a look at the UI.

Jth5q8b.jpg

Lives: You are given three lives after every game over. You can find more by saving princesses in the castle or finding special items.
Score: How many points you rack up. Important for self-gratification.
Item: The special item currently equipped.
Scrolls: Ammo for your upgraded projectile attacks. Don’t worry, you will never run out of these.
Level: The level you are currently battling through. As you can see there are five castles in this game (thanks for the spoilers, Nintendo).
Time: How much time you have in a level. Perhaps even more useless than time in a Mario game. It does enhance your score though.
Health: You can withstand three hits before biting it. Some items refill health.

Attacking is done with the A button, and special items for B. Takamaru’s main weapons are projectiles that he can throw quickly at enemies far away. When they get too close, he pulls out his katana for a swift strike. Takamaru can also deflect enemy shurikens with his katana, but not enemy fireballs or bombs.
LNOsOAV.gif

Special attacks include powerful lightning strikes and the ability to turn invisible. Each item can only be used three times, so try not to spam it.
lv18HcH.jpg

APlXUFr.jpg

5TKeQNy.jpg

Though the game has plenty of items, they aren’t similar to those you would find in Zelda. Items in this game are just temporary boosts. If you die, you lose all your boosts and have to recollect them. Items can be found by Tanukis, or in secret treasure chests you have to walk past to uncover. After each field stage, you get a chance to grab some items to help you with the castle.

MPsGYxe.jpg

Ln31uIm.jpg

kAWh1zD.jpg

t1CukKq.jpg

E5z1jf5.jpg

+Damage done to a boss carries over into the next life: Having a frustrating time taking down a boss? Any damage you do to the boss will carry over to the next life! That means if you were one hit away from killing him, it doesn’t reset if you die. Lives are fairly precious in this game, so use this strategy wisely.

+Deflect deflect deflect!: You can deflect shurikens! As long as you are facing the right direction, if a shuriken is close enough, Takamaru will pull out his sword and slap it away! He cannot deflect fireballs or bombs, so dodge those!

+Katana, THE BEST SWORD: Is some bomb throwing maniac dodging your shurikens? Get close to him and take him out with the sword. The katana is a powerful weapon if you can get in range.

+Be patient and aware: You may be overwhelmed by the sheer number of enemies (those ninjas just keep coming!), but don’t fret! Just pay close attention to where you are having the most trouble and try a different tactic next time. Are you deflecting shurikens like a mad man yet get picked off by a single fireball? Take that guy out first next time!

+Abuse Virtual Console save states: Hey man, this game is hard, no one will judge you.

FHBtZb0.jpg

Do I need to know Japanese to play the game?: Outside of the title screen and the ending, there is pretty much no Japanese in the game at all. Even the castle names are in English for some reason when you enter them.

How hard is this game?: THE DARK SOULS OF… ok it’s pretty hard. NES hard. There are a lot of enemies and you lose your power ups when you die. However it’s certainly not impossible. I mean I beat it… with VC save state abuse but I still did it!

How long is this game?: I beat it in 2:45 with save state abuse. It will certainly take longer for those more authentic and hardcore than me. The game starts over again after you beat it so uh, pump up that score.

What is the save system like in this game?: Fortunately if you lose all your lives, you don’t start the entire game over again. You just go back to the beginning of the area. If you lose all your lives in the castle, you start the castle again. If you’re in the field, you start in the field again.

This is an old Famicom game, so there’s gotta be some super hidden secret right?: There are two. An armor item that will probably never drop that gives you an massively upgraded projectile, and Takamaru becomes permanently invincible when you get 99 lives. Getting 99 lives requires multiple playthroughs of the game and takes at least 12 hours supposedly.

Why isn’t Takamaru a playable character in SSB4?: I don’t know man… I just don’t know.

Where else can I witness the glory of Takamaru?: There was also a board game based on this title, of which I can only find box pictures of. The game disc also appeared in Pikmin 2 as an item. Music from the game and a sticker of Takamaru appeared in SSB Brawl. The Takamaru’s Ninja Castle portion of Nintendoland is based on this game (the ninjas look very similar). Takamaru was even a playable character in a special mode in Samurai Warriors 3. As I mentioned before, he will be a *sigh* assist trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. There was also an episode of Onyako Club in 1986 based on this game. Thankfully, HG101 has a picture of this.
UOOPKA2.jpg

ToINmON.jpg

Nintendo Life: 8/10
Nintendo World Report: 7.5

Nintendo eShop trailer
Orchestral version of the main theme

Special thanks to DICKS AHOY for the amazing header images. Fonts by this Wolf's Rain website. Some pics liberally borrowed from Hardcore Gaming 101 and Nintendo’s Virtual Console website.

Q9ZpPwL.png
Q9ZpPwL.png
Q9ZpPwL.png
Q9ZpPwL.png
Q9ZpPwL.png

Azure J

Pumped to play this.

First for more blue haired swordsmen!

Pretty excited to buy this finally.

Takamaru is a black haired swordsman who don't need no hues. Real talk though, the only reason so many people peg him as blue haired is because of the NES sprite which was only made blue to distinguish itself from the rest of things in the game. It's like the early version of Pink Haired Link.

Azure J

Random fun fact: The sound effect for whenever Mario gets the tanooki tail/suit power up in Super Mario Bros. 3 (and thus every Mario game afterward) comes from this game. Pay attention to the sound of things that appear in tufts of smoke.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Any word on whether the Wii U VC will get this eventually? Am I gonna have to pick it up for the 3DS instead?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Special thanks to DICKS AHOY for the amazing header images.

Oh Internets, how you amuse me.

On a serious note, I'm super excited to try this game out finally. I'd also love to pick up a Famicom Disk System and an original copy of this game at some point. It's on my bucket list.

Kouriozan

Great OT!
This game is really great, bring back Takamaru, Nintendo!
Not just for a mini game :)
Oh and loved his mode in Samurai Warriors 3 too.

Vamphuntr

I remember this game being extremely infuriating. I guess with save states you could abuse it but otherwise I would pass on it.

120v

i've been on a retro kick lately.. been wanting something twitchy. seems like this could be right up my alley

Forkball

The game comes out in about an hour if I'm not mistaken. I bought and beat it on my Japanese 3DS earlier this week and really enjoyed it. The action is constant and unpredictable. It will push your limits when it comes to timing and being aware of your situation. It is very difficult though. I wouldn't call the deaths cheap, but the screen can fill with enemies so quickly that you can lose track of what's coming at you. There were many times when I thought a room was impossible, but I managed to pull through each time. This game really does make you feel like an 8-bit badass. You are deflecting shurikens left and right while throwing fireballs and cutting down anyone that comes close to you. One of the coolest enemies in the game are the other samurai. They stand with their swords drawn in front of them, and your projectiles can't hurt them. You have to get in close enough so they will raise their sword to strike you. You have to attack them in the short window right before they drop their blade on you. It feels amazing to beat them to the punch each time.

I think Nintendo could definitely revisit the franchise someday. There are so many interesting enemies and cool mechanics in the game that are still pretty unique.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's now up, 63 blocks. Might need to search for it.

Aww, it's still a NES when you highlight the game on the main menu. Would have been a nice touch to have it be a Famicom.

Azure J

The game comes out in about an hour if I'm not mistaken. I bought and beat it on my Japanese 3DS earlier this week and really enjoyed it. The action is constant and unpredictable. It will push your limits when it comes to timing and being aware of your situation. It is very difficult though. I wouldn't call the deaths cheap, but the screen can fill with enemies so quickly that you can lose track of what's coming at you. There were many times when I thought a room was impossible, but I managed to pull through each time. This game really does make you feel like an 8-bit badass. You are deflecting shurikens left and right while throwing fireballs and cutting down anyone that comes close to you. One of the coolest enemies in the game are the other samurai. They stand with their swords drawn in front of them, and your projectiles can't hurt them. You have to get in close enough so they will raise their sword to strike you. You have to attack them in the short window right before they drop their blade on you. It feels amazing to beat them to the punch each time.

I think Nintendo could definitely revisit the franchise someday. There are so many interesting enemies and cool mechanics in the game that are still pretty unique.

Glad to hear all of this. I was approaching this title with a bit of concern thinking that while I'd be fine with it, others would be put off because of mid 80s "cheapness". I'm currently downloading it and eager to see how it'll be for me.

Tangent: I have the best avatar in this thread. :p

Why isn’t Takamaru a playable character in SSB4?: I don’t know man… I just don’t know.

Where else can I witness the glory of Takamaru?: There was also a board game based on this title, of which I can only find box pictures of. The game disc also appeared in Pikmin 2 as an item. Music from the game and a sticker of Takamaru appeared in SSB Brawl. The Takamaru’s Ninja Castle portion of Nintendoland is based on this game (the ninjas look very similar). Takamaru was even a playable character in a special mode in Samurai Warriors 3. As I mentioned before, he will be a *sigh* assist trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. There was also an episode of Onyako Club in 1986 based on this game. Thankfully, HG101 has a picture of this.
UOOPKA2.jpg

you forgot his Captain Rainbow appearance!

Cranzor

I'm very excited to play this! I've been waiting to play it for a long time. I'm glad Nintendo decided to finally bring it over.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Bought this and played a little last night. I really enjoy it, but I wish it was on the Wii U VC instead, simply because the 3DS dpad is so bad. Way too flat and clicky. The amount of quick turns you have to make ends up making your thumb rotate around like when you play a fighting game, but the dpad just can't handle it.

M-PG71C

Been playing on the 3DS XL, awesome fucking game. Would love to see a modern sequel honestly! Makes me want to find Samurai Warriors 3 and try that mode.

Shauni

Ah man, I think I'm going to end up caving and getting this. Really wanted to wait for it to release on Wii U, but I really want to try it. Now we just need Devil World, Nintendo. You have it English, you bastards.

Peltz

I downloaded it too. Popped on the headphones and was really excited to play this game. But then when I started playing it, I noticed the sound seemed very off in comparison to the original FDS game (which I also own). So I decided to make a comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy-b6w1kw6k

Sorry I could not record a direct feed. If people want, I can do that later and/or also compare the sound of other VC games on Wii, Wii U and 3DS with the originals. I tend to buy digital copies of most of my oldschool carts (or disks in this case) as backups.

The 3DS version sounds a bit flat and tinny. However, I do think the emulator is the main culprit and not so much the system itself. Games like KIU and SMTIV sound pretty great from my 3DS's 3.5 mm jack.

Azure J

That feel when you get Inazuma Lightning and the King/Triple Shot version of Will-o-Wisp Flames

iprY6FB0oGbxw.png

This game has re-awakened some old OCD tendencies I had when it comes to titles that strip you of power ups when leaving an area I swear. It doesn't help that Takamaru has a fucking godlike arsenal of stuff to play with even in such an old and clearly first gen NES/Famicom era game.

Dude needs that Kamiya revival like yesterday.

NeonZ

Just got it and finished the first area and castle afterwards. Pretty fun game, especially thanks to it having a save system, so game over doesn't mean restarting from the start. That was actually pretty unexpected to me, considering how this is basically a level based NES game.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Downloaded today, really impressive game for its time. I will go on record and say that I'm enjoying this far more than the original Zelda that's for sure. It's quite hard though. I'm going roguelike and not using the 3DS save feature so I'll be getting my money's worth.

The critical timing of sword strikes is brilliant and I love the frantic ninja vanish invulnerability technique. The graphics are nice too, I love the japanese aesthetic, which is why I'm assuming it never saw western release. I hope Takamaru rises again!

Koppai

I'm gonna wait for the Wii U version. Love playing old,school games on a big screen and they don't look like shit :)

Top Bottom