• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF 1 year challenge: stop buying games*

Yes Boss!

People actually buy games to not play them immediately? I mean aside from a crazy sell why would anyone buy a brand new game and not play it?

That is just madness to me.

It is also the buffet, always having a catalog to draw from, mentality. It is nice having a large pool and being able to pull something at whim.

Ledsen there's no way you won't fold for Far Cry 3. I remember your FC2 posts (which I agreed on) and how much you loved that game. FC3 will be the end of this experiment for you. It's time to embrace insanity.

NZNova

People actually buy games to not play them immediately? I mean aside from a crazy sell why would anyone buy a brand new game and not play it?

That is just madness to me.

It is madness, but somehow once your Steam library grows beyond a certain size, the game becomes collecting games. You have no hope of catching up with your backlog so you become like a squirrel hoarding nuts for the winter. Adding game after game after game to your library just so you have them there. You know, for when they stop making games or something.

Nobody ever said it was rational...

Ledsen

Ledsen there's no way you won't fold for Far Cry 3. I remember your FC2 posts (which I agreed on) and how much you loved that game. FC3 will be the end of this experiment for you. It's time to embrace insanity.

I already posted on how I pre-ordered FC3, no problem though since I'll be using the escape clause and not fail the challenge :) I'm still sceptical about the intense gamification and incorporation of an intrusive UI, AssCreed-style chores and Pac-Man running-acros-the-map-to-check-boxes-type gameplay, but after the reviews I'm pretty excited. Just from what they did to the game I can tell it won't be nearly as interesting as FC2, but it can still be great fun and an amazing gamey game game(which it seems to be).

Spierek

Nobody ever said it was rational...
The definition of insanity indeed.

I'm holding out pretty well, no game (except for Awesomenauts) that's been on sale for the past two days has managed to tempt me. (but I was on the edge when my countrywide digital games retailer popped Spec Ops: The Line for 5$ on 24h sale)

Oh, and on the other news: my pre-challenge-pre-ordered copy of Virtue's Last Reward left the Amazon warehouse. Should get it by Monday. That's gonna be lovely.

kswiston

This would be impossible for me. Even if I cut out retail games completely, the Humble Indie Bundle 7 or something will come out and offer me 5 awesome games for next to nothing. I would be powerless to resist.

jono51

Banned
RAGE and Max Payne 3 are looking tempting, but I can resist. The true test will be in a months time. This sale is a just a practice run.

I've actually not touched an unfinished game since I've started this. Just been pvping in gw2 and playing csgo.

zkylon

zkylewd
I already posted on how I pre-ordered FC3, no problem though since I'll be using the escape clause and not fail the challenge :) I'm still sceptical about the intense gamification and incorporation of an intrusive UI, AssCreed-style chores and Pac-Man running-acros-the-map-to-check-boxes-type gameplay, but after the reviews I'm pretty excited. Just from what they did to the game I can tell it won't be nearly as interesting as FC2, but it can still be great fun and an amazing gamey game game(which it seems to be).
Yeah, I'll have to agree with the sentiment. There's just something (everything) that rubs me the wrong way about FC3 that makes me distrustful, and I'm pretty disappointed about going back to the tropical island setting, but we'll see.

This should be labeled as learning how to control your impulses and manage your spending.

I used to buy a ton of games each Steam Sale, but then I realized it was just stupid and a complete waste of money.

I should start my own challenge just before January to not buy a single game next year, no clauses and no excuses. For every time I want to buy a game I have to put that amount of money away in savings and find a game in my backlog to complete in place of it. Document all of it and how I slowly slip into insanity.

Izayoi

Banned
If you can't afford it don't buy more but there are new games that are cheap or even free to play (like Planetside 2) that I'm not going to pass up just because I haven't finished the other 200 games I already own. I get more marginal enjoyment sampling different games. If that means I can never finish Starcraft 2 before the expansion comes out then whatever. If you give up on the idea that games need to be finished then the only problem is spending too much money which you can solve by not getting sucked into day 1 (except for multiplayer where it matters) and buying on sales. I like to finish games sometimes but it could be 3 years after I got it. I don't need to force myself to play it now just because I own it.

edit: ok, there is one instance where I do think it's smart to hold back and that's when it starts to resemble hoarding behavior. Like if you buy on sale just because you think you might play it some day. Or feel you need to play just because you bought it. Hoarders also want to believe there is value in the things they are collecting so in a way forcing yourself to play the back log is also reinforcing that behavior unless you are going to throw some of those games out that you really don't want to play but feel like you need to just because you bought it
The problem is that I can afford it. I was starved of games as a kid, and now I've got shitloads of money and can literally say "Fuck it, I'll buy everything I'm interested in."

I just want to play some of my older games, and this is a great way for me to do it.

I've actually not touched an unfinished game since I've started this. Just been pvping in gw2 and playing csgo.
Same here. Hopefully I'll get bored of the time wasters soon and move on to something substantial!

zkylon

zkylewd
Man this is tough as hell. To The Moon for $2.99 is killing me.

Everything is killing me.

This is more depressing than The Walking Dead...

brainpann

Yep, this is tougher than I thought. Mostly because of the time of year though. Stay strong.

Seriously though, too many game sales going on... I am hoping it gets better after the holidays.

Ledsen

All these games will be as cheap or cheaper 2-3 Times' every year. Youre not missing out on anything.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yep, this is tougher than I thought. Mostly because of the time of year though. Stay strong.

Seriously though, too many game sales going on... I am hoping it gets better after the holidays.
I'm sticking to Steam because I simply can't keep track with all of the other sites, but still, it's hard...

All these games will be as cheap or cheaper 2-3 Times' every year. Youre not missing out on anything.
Yeah, I think there's also a healthy thing to it.

I bought Hotline: Miami like two weeks after it came out, after becoming fascinated with it from reviews, trailers and whatever, and I just went for it, full price, and loved it and I'm happy I got to play it the minute I needed it.

I think the day I become similarly pre-addicted to To The Moon I'll buy it, gladly.

Still, hard to convince oneself.

celebi23

I'm in :( I'm staring at the list of games I was going to buy (during the Steam sale) and I'm already over $100 :( My backlog is a mess and I shouldn't be buying any more games right now. I'm just going to ignore Steam completely until the sale is over.

Keikaku

I'm doing well so far. Haven't spent anything on the Autumn Sale and, like I said I would, I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 when I've wanted a gaming fix.

The last time I played the game, I stopped around 35 Stars or so but I'm on the 4th World and at 52 Stars now. I have no idea why I stopped playing it-this game is the bees knees.

RpgN

AgentOtaku said:
I agree

I bought JSR on Vita and already owned on PS3. Basically bought to support dev efforts, not to mention it turned out to be the definitive version of the game!

...A slippery slope this is (^___^)

Good there is someone who agrees! I haven't bought Tomba/Tombi 2 yet but I'll probably do that sooner or later. The game might also be taken off the store for some silly technical reasons (like many ps1 games). That also worries me and makes me want to get these specific games asap.

So far, I've done pretty well on restraining myself after this thread has been made, I've purchased Jet Set Radio only and received Okami HD as a gift :)

Also, I started playing Jet Set Radio straight away and I just love the game even more than when I played it on the dreamcast :3

RpgN

Sigh...that's the reason I snatch ps1 games straight. They took Tomba 2 down already and I haven't bought it :(

Ledsen

Sigh...that's the reason I snatch ps1 games straight. They took Tomba 2 down already and I haven't bought it :(

Why do they do that? Sounds extremely weird. In such a special case, I'd personally allow it as an exception to the rule. Missing out for a year is one thing, missing out potentially forever is another.

Glass Rebel

Mafia 1 was added about 1-2 years ago to Steam and they removed it as well earlier this year. I'm glad I snatched it up for 2.49$ off Amazon.

vall03

Since Im tracking my purchases with the other Backlog thread, Im still doing well so far after buying some games during Steam and played them all. While I haven't extensively played each of them, As long as I go by the Escape Clause, I wouldn't have any problems next year.

RpgN

Why do they do that? Sounds extremely weird. In such a special case, I'd personally allow it as an exception to the rule. Missing out for a year is one thing, missing out potentially forever is another.

They never give an official reason for taking them down, they rather try and not mention it at all. Sometimes they say that in general, PS1 games go through a lot of testing and trying to make them compatible on the ps3/psp. They sometimes discover bugs after the games are released and take them down for that. It varies when they return the games back, sometimes they don't return them, sometimes it takes months, sometimes it takes years. It's very frustrating.

They took Silent Hill 1 down but I managed to buy that one before they did that. I had no problem finishing the game, it took them years to bring it back. Some say the case with SH was just a licence problem. Spyro 2 was first released when ps1 games were introduced (was that in 2007?), they took it down and they still haven't brought it back.

I should have bought it when I had the chance, I own the game as a physical copy anyways but would have liked to play it on the psp. Oh well...I'll just be patient and hopeful that they'll return it.

barugon

Cripes! I'd been watching the Autumn sale from afar over the holiday, but this morning I looked at my wishlist. Nine of the ten games on the list are on sale. Four of them are 75% off.

I... I don't know if I can make it. The Strong Bad Season 1 almost never goes on sale. Even during the regular TellTale sales it tends to sit at $30.

Spierek

Week 3:
Games bought - 1
Games finished - 2
Backlog - still loads.
Now playing - Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy

Managed to finish The Walking Dead (bought a while before the challenge started) and it's been a fairly good game with several gameplay-related issues. Nice story though. I've also bumped Theatrhythm up to 21h 40m and 30753 Rhythmia. With all Basic Courses finished and Chaos defeated, the game is technically speaking completed - now all that's left is character gathering, Chaos Shrine progression and Expert/Ultimate Courses/Challenges. I'm gonna do it slowly.

Oh, and I should probably finish my copies of Gears of War 2 / L.A Noire / Dark Souls that've been laying around for a while. No rush though.

otakuderek

Count me in! I have not purchased anything since Black Friday so I will use that as my start date. I will play by your rules OP. New games must be played asap. Since I don't use my PC for gaming, this might happen. So let's start:

Games bought - 0
Games finished - 1
Backlog - Roughly 100

Currently playing COD:BO2 on console and Pokemon White 2 on portable.

fallagin

I don't think I can do this. I have a large backlog, but there are some games that I havent bought yet that I would want to play immediately upon buying it during a sale.

Edit: Plus Im already rapidly chewing through my backlog.

otakuderek

I don't think I can do this. I have a large backlog, but there are some games that I havent bought yet that I would want to play immediately upon buying it during a sale.

Edit: Plus Im already rapidly chewing through my backlog.

You can still be a part of this as long as you play said games immediately. That's how I'm going to do it with GTA V.

Guys, I am very very close to giving in:
http://www.gog.com/pick_5_pay_10

Help me!!

I have yet to finish Sanitarium, Steel Sky, Alone in the Dark, Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword and Scratches; so I know I probably don't want the adventure games, but the strategy ones are very tempting!!! And I've always wanted to give Introversion strategies a go, they seem so satisfying!

---
Does it count if I at least start playing of the 5 games immediately?

Ledsen

Guys, I am very very close to giving in:
http://www.gog.com/pick_5_pay_10

Help me!!

I have yet to finish Sanitarium, Steel Sky, Alone in the Dark, Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword and Scratches; so I know I probably don't want the adventure games, but the strategy ones are very tempting!!! And I've always wanted to give Introversion strategies a go, they seem so satisfying!

---
Does it count if I at least start playing of the 5 games immediately?

lol... I'd say definitely no :) Bundles are one thing you'll have to resist if you want to stay true to the challenge. My informal rule is NEVER to buy more than 1 game at the time, because if I do, I have to start and finish ALL OF THEM immediately... think about it... starting five games at once and playing them all to completion before touching another game? You won't do it, you'll fail.

lol... I'd say definitely no :) Bundles are one thing you'll have to resist if you want to stay true to the challenge. My informal rule is NEVER to buy more than 1 game at the time, because if I do, I have to start and finish ALL OF THEM immediately... think about it... starting five games at once and playing them all to completion before touching another game? You won't do it, you'll fail.
I hope you burn in hell :( :( [not really]

OK, I passed the first challenge I guess. I think I should prevent GoG from sending me deals from now on

*goes back to finishing SC2 campaign...*

Ledsen

I hope you burn in hell :( :(

OK, I passed the first challenge I guess. I think I should prevent GoG from sending me deals from now on

*goes back to finishing SC2 campaign...*

you can always... give up

*evil laugh*

...but don't! You can do it!

also if you do, I'll cross your name from the list in the OP... you don't want your name there amongst the others, crossed out, now do you?

you can always... give up

*evil laugh*

...but don't! You can do it!

also if you do, I'll cross your name from the list in the OP... you don't want your name there amongst the others, crossed out, now do you?
No, I don't :D

Now that I think about it, if I bought those games, I had to actually stop playing some games from my backlog I am now going through [SC2, Hitman: Contracts, M&M VII]; so it makes sense at least not to buy a game until there's at least no game from the same genre that I want to play from my backlog

Thanks for the thread Ledsen :D

edit: I just checked their website, and they have a Demo version of Defcon which actually offers almost all I wanted to 'try out' from the game! Woot!

Keikaku

I've had no time to play much more of SMG2, so I'm still at around 58 Stars but I've put a bit of time into Dragon Quest IX in the meanwhile.

As I said when I started this challenge, I bought a 3DS and some games before I started the challenge and the first of the games came in the mail on Saturday. Pity the 3DS still isn't here :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, seems I might survive the Steam sales unharmed, except for some DLC.

I may buy Binary Domain if they make it a daily deal but otherwise, I'm fine with just playing LoL.

Ledsen

So I bought Syndicate for $4.99 you guys.

HOWEVER!

I heard that it's really short, and I'm going to finish it before Far Cry 3 on friday. So no worries!

ALSO

I played through Sword & Sworcery and To the Moon this weekend.

Ledsen

Damn it!!

My friend gifted me Orcs Must Die 2 to play co-op with him... why must people be so generous '~_~

Escape clause used
Syndicate
Far Cry 3

Gifts received from other people
Orcs Must Die 2

Polk

Black Friday season passes, the challenge starts.
Next game purchase: January 1st 2014 (not counting those).

Let's all be brave.

I am 100% not on-board with this because I have no self control, and I just got a Wii U.

HOWEVER, I have PS+ all of 2013, so I am going to join in on not buying a single PS3/Vita. There are way too many things that pop-up on PS+ that I never have time for because of a crazy backlog.

I've skimmed through a lot of this thread, and there is a lot of potential for failure, but I wish everyone attempting this a lot of luck. If you're anything like me you're going to need it, LOL.

Top Bottom