• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Anime of the Year Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do we know if they'll be content-identical? I don't mind waiting if so, otherwise I'll import! Voyager's website looks like a web-scraped domain-parked "adversite."
If you're worried, just order it from Rightstuf. At least it's close to the free shipping threshold for Americans.

And the US release is missing the Japanese commentaries unfortunately.

If it's the one I'm thinking of its (TYTANIA SPOILERS AHOY)
when Lira gets killed in episode 12. I really didn't watch pass that, but that's the one I'm talking about at least.
And not just that, but in one of the dumbest ways possible. It was just stupid and contrieved.
Oh yes. lol

Mononoke

Banned
The films list matches my own, and even in the same order. That's a bit of a surprise considering I've read more complaints about the later part of Garden of Words than I have praise for the film. That might just be coincidental, but either way I'm glad it made it because obviously I think it deserves to be there.

The TV list is pretty solid as well. There's a good amount of quality on there, even if Rozen Maiden was screwed. I thought more people would have voted Love Lab though. Feels weird having a KLK avatar when I didn't vote for or even mention the show lol

Also, nice job BGBW. The presentation is great and the Akari statue is a nice touch. Try and ignore her now, world.

Garden of Words isn't perfect. But I still think overall it's an absolutely beautiful film. It's rare to find animation that tackles something as simple as a human connection. I know that Anime has always had the "slice of life" stuff, so I'm not saying it's unique in the genre. But I do think the film on a technical level, really executes it better than most. My only gripes with the film I suppose, is the ending, and some of themes being a little too on the nose. But in terms of the animation, the interaction between the two characters and the overall atmosphere of the film, I think it's one of the best animated films I've seen tackling this sort of thing.

But that's just how I feel. Personally, I think it's his best work. My personal favorite film was Wolf Children (for obvious reasons), but I would love to see more film like Garden of Words.

Jawmuncher

Just want to ask was Watamote a 2013 anime?
If so I am saddened that it didn't even make it to the honorable mentions list.

I'm trusting you, NeoGAF. Don't do me dirty...

TU37ddz.png

Eusis

$45 for 4 episodes? Who do they think we are; Japan?
It'd be $60 for 2 then.

They do, however, seem to think it's a decade or decade and a half in the past. With some new fangled blu-ray thing to charge $10 extra for, layering on the times when blu-ray debuted.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone know where I can watch English sub version of battleship yamato 2199?
Legally, you can either buy the Japanese BDs from Amazon.jp or the American BDs from Rightstuf.

It made me oddly nostalgic! But hey, can we really put a price on the AOTY?!

Seriously GAF you better be right.
The only other space based text that was better than Yamato was Gravity!

g23

European pre-madonna
Legally, you can either buy the Japanese BDs from Amazon.jp or the American BDs from Rightstuf.

The only other space based text that was better than Yamato was Gravity!

Oh so there is an actually English dub blue ray that's out?

K so lately I been MAAAAAD binging on animes. This is what I enjoyed most, in no particular order. Naruto (aside from the amounts of filler). Attack on Titan. Hunter x Hunter. Death Note. Sword Art Online. The first 3 there probably being my faves.

So what's another show I'd enjoy? Not sure if there is an official anime thread.

Eusis

K so lately I been MAAAAAD binging on animes. This is what I enjoyed most, in no particular order. Naruto (aside from the amounts of filler). Attack on Titan. Hunter x Hunter. Death Note. Sword Art Online. The first 3 there probably being my faves.

So what's another show I'd enjoy? Not sure if there is an official anime thread.
Community thread. And from what I gather if you liked Sword Art Online you might enjoy Log Horizon, that one actually sounds genuinely interesting to me while Sword Art Online is just "I'd like to see the context of that railing jump gif someday!"

Shounen then. The new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a must. Kill la Kill is also good too.

You could always ask in the seasonal anime thread, which is really just an all-encompassing anime topic and doesn't matter if you discuss new shows or not. If you're willing to dig through older stuff, you could also check out this battle shounen mega list thread I made a while back (though a bunch of it is manga only).

wmlk

Just saw this list after finishing SnK this past week.

Why it is number 4 on this list, I will never understand. Reading from the myriad of impressions it seems like there was this weird bias against it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just saw this list after finishing SnK this past week.

Why it is number 4 on this list, I will never understand. Reading from the myriad of impressions it seems like there was this weird bias against it.

Because it's popular. There are two kinds of shows that make the top 10 lists:

1) Shows that are legitimately good, as determined by the dedicated anime watchers
2) Shows that a shitload of people watched, which is maybe one of two shows they watched the entire year if even that

KanyeEast

Banned
Just finished Battleship Yamato. What a great anime it was. Everthing and even the ending was perfect. The only thing i would like to have seen was earth after everthing.

Tomohawk

I started watching battle ship yamato, but couldn't get past episode 10. Its seems so generic, the protagonist is uninteresting, and why are all the women wearing skin tight space suit while the men where navy uniforms, it clashes. Well i shouldn't be asking why, since it was obviously done to pander to a certain segment of the anime audience, but if your trying to tell a serious story you devalue that story with pandering. At least shows that pander like kill la kill are obvious about it and embrace it, but it irked me more than it should how serious the show took it self and also had blatant pandering.

Haly

I started watching battle ship yamato, but couldn't get past episode 10. Its seems so generic, the protagonist is uninteresting, and why are all the women wearing skin tight space suit while the men where navy uniforms, it clashes.

Yamato is a 70s show bro. Think 70s, and you'll understand.

Tomohawk

Yamato is a 70s show bro. Think 70s, and you'll understand.

You maybe right, for some reason when I heard people describe space ship yamato I thought of something like rendes vous with rama or some arthur c clarke shit. Though just because its from the 70's should one over look its flaws.

Haly

Is Battleship Yamato similar to LOGH in any way? I can't help but compare the two when Yamato is described as "The space opera to end all space operas".
Yamato is way more fantastical and campy. Closer to Star Trek than LOGH.
You maybe right, for some reason when I heard people describe space ship yamato I thought of something like rendes vous with rama or some arthur c clarke shit. Though just because its from the 70's should one over look its flaws.

One man's flaws are another man's aesthetic. Some people enjoy modern retro! Anyway it seems like you wanted something more serious so you should definitely check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes, as mentioned above.

Tomohawk

One man's flaws are another man's aesthetic. Some people enjoy modern retro! Anyway it seems like you wanted something more serious so you should definitely check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes, as mentioned above.

Space ship yamato definitely reminded me of old anime space operas, but i've never been a fan of those so I guess it makes sense.
thanks will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom