• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Anime of the Year Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrophis

Nothing beats 08th MS Team. NOTHING!

Ehhh so much anime to catch up on. My attempt to watch more the last couple of years have failed miserably. Only full series I've finished is Bokurano. This Yamato...need to watch this sucker as soon as possible.

Great thread. I wish there was a gaming version.

My wife and I like watching comedy anime together like Ninja Nonsense and School Rumble but have ran into a lot of duds on Netflix so this would be a great aid in finding the good ones.

Defuser

Monogatari isn't in top 10 because of this:
tumblr_m5munfBTsi1ryqc1xo1_500.gif

Most people wrote off the series then. The only people left were degenerates like me.

Then Kaikimonogatari happens, the clouds parted,the heavens open wide and god himself aka Kaiki descended upon us with his spectacular swag and saved us all.

In other words Nisemonogatari is shit but Monogatari second season manage to redeem itself with Kaiki.

LordCanti

Nise is either redeemed by how much you love the Fire Sisters, or damned by how much you don't.

It's so much more, really. The interactions of Shinobu and Araragi are great for instance. People hate on Hanekawa, but I liked her arc as well. Ararararagi, Gahara-chan and Kaiki were also an interesting pairing that paid off in Monogatari.

Linkhero1

I actually enjoyed Space Battleship Yamato 2199. I finished it after the voting thread closed but it would have been my number 1 for 2013. Not big into Space Operas but it was well rounded.

Tytania is another series that suffered from me watching LOGH It just felt weak after such a masterpiece, you guys have sold me on Yamato though will be trying it once I get from school today.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I watched a few episodes of Tyantia when I was back home, but I watched the handful of them in the middle and not from the start cause I'm a rebel and that's how I roll and at it was part of a VOD thing my parents' cable has. Anyways, it seemed really goofy for a space opera but then I saw the twist that's like half-way through the series.
Man, talk about a FUCK YOU if you had actually stuck through the series from the start.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I gave my 26 episodes to Tytania then, because that's a lot of episodes for something to start. :p
The fact that you actually watched Tytania past that "fuck you" moment means you should be obligated to watch LOGH from start to finish. No excuses.
No.

No no nononononooononononoonononon.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Truth hurts. I love Gundam but Tomino is a fucking terrible writer and director.

LordCanti

Truth hurts. I love Gundam but Tomino is a fucking terrible writer and director.

Yamato 2199 is done well enough but there are still some incredibly groan-worthy moments. It's a shining example of how to modernize a 70's anime, but I'll always prefer the original thing to a remake.

Having said that, Gundam is infinitely more enjoyable to me than Yamato. I await Gundam: The Origin's anime adaptation with bated breath.

lj167

So based on this thread and the voting thread I need to see:

Kyousougiga
Silver Spoon
Flowers of Evil
Gundam Build Fighters
JoJo

Anything else I should check out?

Kyousougiga
Silver Spoon
Flowers of Evil
Gundam Build Fighters
JoJo

I don't know how many of the top 20 you've seen, but Love Lab and Yozakura Quartet are the most deserving of the overlooked, in my opinion.

Interested in SBY2199, how do I check it out without resorting to fansubs? The Voyager blu-rays? Those will be the unedited theatrical presentations? The US release schedule seems a little weird / confusing.

Eusis

Interested in SBY2199, how do I check it out without resorting to fansubs? The Voyager blu-rays? Those will be the unedited theatrical presentations? The US release schedule seems a little weird / confusing.
Only thing I found myself. Maybe Netflix will get the discs like they did the Gurren Lagann movies, but they've gotten sorta bad about reliably stocking DVDs/blu-rays of anime in the last several years I've noticed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Japanese blurays released with English subtitles, so there were never fansubs. That's your only option at the moment, other than the official US release that starts later this month.

I watched a few episodes of Tyantia when I was back home, but I watched the handful of them in the middle and not from the start cause I'm a rebel and that's how I roll and at it was part of a VOD thing my parents' cable has. Anyways, it seemed really goofy for a space opera but then I saw the twist that's like half-way through the series.
Man, talk about a FUCK YOU if you had actually stuck through the series from the start.

The fact that you actually watched Tytania past that "fuck you" moment means you should be obligated to watch LOGH from start to finish. No excuses.
Maybe it's just been too long, but I don't remember this so-called "Fuck You" moment. lol

The Japanese blurays released with English subtitles, so there were never fansubs. That's your only option at the moment, other than the official US release that starts later this month.
Do we know if they'll be content-identical? I don't mind waiting if so, otherwise I'll import! Voyager's website looks like a web-scraped domain-parked "adversite."

Silky

Banned
Nice to see KLK, Flowers of Evil, Log Horizon, and JoJo get represented.

I wonder; is Wolf Children on Blu-Ray in the states?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Maybe it's just been too long, but I don't remember this so-called "Fuck You" moment. lol

If it's the one I'm thinking of its (TYTANIA SPOILERS AHOY)
when Lira gets killed in episode 12. I really didn't watch pass that, but that's the one I'm talking about at least.

Kyousougiga
Silver Spoon
Flowers of Evil

Gundam Build Fighters
JoJo

Love Lab, Non Non Biyori and 90% of Monogatari are all on Crunchyroll along with the series in bold.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If it's the one I'm thinking of its (TYTANIA SPOILERS AHOY)
when Lira gets killed in episode 12. I really didn't watch pass that, but that's the one I'm talking about at least.
And not just that, but in one of the dumbest ways possible. It was just stupid and contrieved.

JoeFu

Banned
Nise is important. It introduces Shinobu and Kaiki, 2 of the most important characters in Monogatari SS

kiryogi

Banned
Nise is important. It introduces Shinobu and Kaiki, 2 of the most important characters in Monogatari SS

This. so much this. Nise despite being a weaker entry, still has a lot of necessarily plot material for the series overall.

faint.

Really happy to see HxH on the list, but I really wish it placed higher. It truly is the best shounen out right now.

lj167

I don't know how many of the top 20 you've seen, but Love Lab and Yozakura Quartet are the most deserving of the overlooked, in my opinion.

Everybody should check out Non Non Biyori.

Thanks, I'll give all these a shot. I watched the first episode of Non Non Biyori and it was pretty solid, so I'll probably hit that first.

Love Lab, Non Non Biyori and 90% of Monogatari are all on Crunchyroll along with the series in bold.

True story: Before I watched anime, I happened to see a screenshot of a show that looked interesting, so I decided to go into it blind. That show was Bakemonogatari. I quickly fell in love with the visual style and it's what got me into the medium. I've watched and enjoyed -monogatari ever since, PSAs on dental hygiene and all.

Kyousougiga
Silver Spoon
Flowers of Evil
Gundam Build Fighters
JoJo

You definitely have to watch From the New World. Just finished it and I wanna rewatch it already lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Kyousougiga
Silver Spoon
Flowers of Evil
Gundam Build Fighters
JoJo

[post=99084368]Everything mentioned in this post.[/post]

Thank you for tallying the results BGBW!

Wow. Kyoukai no Kanata didn't break into the top 20. I normally can't stand romantic stories but Kyoukai pulled it off.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow. Kyoukai no Kanata didn't break into the top 20. I normally can't stand romantic stories but Kyoukai pulled it off.

Is it really that surprising? I mean I have the lowest standards possible (so low it's in the Guinness Book of Records) and even I dropped the show.

Atrophis

So I started watching Yamato last night. When is it supposed to get good? 4 episodes in and it is not living up to the hyperbole in this thread.

Atrophis

Well the first episode was shit. The next three are much better but its still not close to a masterpiece. Its cliche as fuck and the characters are all boring so far. Done a fair amount of eye rolling too. I guess its supposed to be like this as its a remake of a much older anime. I'm hoping it improves though because I really want to like it. This stuff is usually right up my alley.

sonicmj1

Well the first episode was shit. The next three are much better but its still not close to a masterpiece. Its cliche as fuck and the characters are all boring so far. Done a fair amount of eye rolling too. I guess its supposed to be like this as its a remake of a much older anime. I'm hoping it improves though because I really want to like it. This stuff is usually right up my alley.

It improves as it goes. I found 5 and 6 to be a step up from 3 and 4, and 9-11 are even better than those. It doesn't become a fundamentally different show, but it does slowly grow more complex.

Interesting list. Some results I expected, some I didn't.

My own list for AOTY went well, especially when I consider that I switched to watching almost entirely current shows, instead of balancing them with completed shows. It was a fair amount, but it kept growing towards the end of the year.

My list went like this [along with what GAF voted]:

[GAF #5] 1. Aku no Hana (The Flowers of Evil)
[GAF #16] 2. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. (Oregairu)
[GAF #13] 3. Kyousougiga
[GAF #4] 4. Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
[GAF #7] 5. Hataraku Maou-sama!
[GAF #104] 6. Little Busters + Little Busters: Refrain
[GAF #28] 7. Servant x Service
[GAF #17] 8. Love Lab
[GAF #109] 9. Unbreakable Machine-Doll
[GAF #94] 10. Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru (Noucome)

Honorable mentions to Watamote (11) [GAF #26], Kyoukai no Kanata (12) [GAF #51], and Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou (13) [GAF #91].

There were three shows that would've popped up in my list, had they not have been ongoing - Kill la Kill, Golden Time, and Log Horizon. Not sure how I feel with that rule, but it is pretty weird that people are voting KLK so highly, and it's not yet finished. I love it dearly, but I'd rather wait for the end.

I've barely heard of GAF's #1 show, though. Quite surprised.

Exalted

Yet another list that tells me i have completelly diferent taste than most :/
I only watched attack o titan, The Devil is a Part timer , snafu and Gargantia from the the top 20 list. But might check out Yamato out, didn't know it was an actual series and not only some random ova's.

Just wished there would be more realistic animes in the future, which would behave like actual filmed tv series and obey the laws of gravity, which one could immerse into. Seems like 80% of animes these days are semi parodies, high school something , have completely cartoony laws and style, or unrealistic human interactions. Looking at the list and Kill la Kill being at 2, it looks like i'm in the minority on this.

hat_hair

There were three shows that would've popped up in my list, had they not have been ongoing - Kill la Kill, Golden Time, and Log Horizon. Not sure how I feel with that rule, but it is pretty weird that people are voting KLK so highly, and it's not yet finished. I love it dearly, but I'd rather wait for the end.

That's a rule I fully agree with, although I don't think it should be enforced in any way.
For example, I probably wouldn't have voted for Monogatari S2 if I had only seen the first dozen episodes, and I'm sure there are shows I might have voted for had I not seen the endings. I also voted both Hunter x Hunter and Space Brothers highly, and neither is technically finished, but those are really long shows that aired almost every week in 2013.
It does lead to an odd situation where any show airing over Autumn/Winter gets an extra shot at making the list, but I don't think it's such a big deal for what amounts to a forum poll.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
On the flip side because some people choose to vote for a show in the first year it was broadcast and others choose to wait till it is finished the votes are split. When a show performs well both times (JoJo and GuP are two examples this year that appeared in last years vote) it goes to prove that both shows were well received despite the split votes.

bronk

Banned
I only have Crunchyroll and I dont see Yamato and some other animes on it. Where can I watch tjose shows? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom