• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Anime of the Year Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

hmm, I'll have to look into Yamato and Build Fighters at some point. Definitely was not expecting that kind of reception for BF, which I haven't seen at all but reminded me right off the bat of SD Gundam - hence why I've been skipping it. :lol

fertygo

Some people think Gundam is about war and colonization and post-humanism and homosexuality and floating in space without your clothes on

Those people are wrong.

Gundam is about Gundams.

The quote in OP explain it nicely "because fucking robots, that's why"

Necrovex

It's hard to get people to vote for a show for two years in a row, I'm pretty sure it's the first to make the top 10 twice.

That's true. I would have skipped it if the last half wasn't god-tier. I would have felt like a bad person if I didn't rank it as number one on my personal list.

LordCanti

That neatly encapsulates why it's so great. It's only about the Gundam themselves!

Some people think Gundam is about war and colonization and post-humanism and homosexuality and floating in space without your clothes on

Those people are wrong.

Gundam is about Gundams.

You're both wrong.

Gundam is all about "talk shit, get hit"

sdagiBl.gif

DiGiKerot

Meh, so many haters - I unapologetically love Kill la Kill, and it's totally one of the highlights of my week in a way that little other than Build Fighters has been this last year. I'm perfectly fine with it hitting second after Yamato (but then again, I think that's where I dropped it myself)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Meh, so many haters - I unapologetically love Kill la Kill, and it's totally one of the highlights of my week in a way that little other than Build Fighters has been this last year. I'm perfectly fine with it hitting second after Yamato (but then again, I think that's where I dropped it myself)

What haters dude? It finished 2nd, plenty of people loved it. No need to apologize!

I thought Yamato was trash and a really poor space opera but I can at least respect other people liked the show enough to respect the fact that it finished in first.

Jarmel

Banned
Those technically count as different seasons.

By that reasoning though, wouldn't something like Shin Sekai that went for multiple seasons be considered two different seasons? I'm thinking of American television where shows might take a couple or more months off but it's still considered the same season.

ZoddGutts

KLK being that high, what a joke. Series has been a diasppointment, the story and characters have been on the weak side and the animation has been inconsistent too. Kyousogiga not in the top 10 :(

Blades64

Banned
I still wanted it higher, but I'm glad Hunter X Hunter charted. It has been tearing up this year. Definitely the best anime I've watched this year.

Kill la Kill being #2 came out of nowhere. It's a fun show, but it just lacks substance to me. Action is nice though.

2/10 of my top ten were in the Top Ten and 5/10 for the top 20. It seems my tastes in anime don't really match too well with AnimeGaf but then again half the top ten I didn't watch and I'm not too particularly found of mecha anime

Amikami

Banned
I really got to check out Kill la Kill and Yamato. So glad to see Flowers of Evil up there though. Deserved.

I wanted to vote, but I really hadn't checked out enough anime to feel like I should. I've only recently gotten back into anime really good.

Quasar

2/10 of my top ten were in the Top Ten and 5/10 for the top 20. It seems my tastes in anime don't really match too well with AnimeGaf but then again half the top ten I didn't watch and I'm not too particularly found of mecha anime

Certainly for me only one of my top 10 ended up on the overall top 10 (Eccentric Family), though a couple of mine did end up on the 11-20 so I'm not totally disconnected from the results :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Naw, if anything, general fans pushed the poll in a certain direction. 3 shounen shows, for example.

bronk

Banned
I still wanted it higher, but I'm glad Hunter X Hunter charted. It has been tearing up this year. Definitely the best anime I've watched this year.

Kill la Kill being #2 came out of nowhere. It's a fun show, but it just lacks substance to me. Action is nice though.
Agree entirely on both points.

This thread and the Miyazaki thread make me feel like I have a higher tolerance for some things than a lot of the people on here. That or my tastes are just mad fucking different than the majority. Weird.

Then again, I'm so behind on anime due to not watching a show until it's finished that I have trouble remembering what season each was from. Should see my list of anime to remember document, looks like a conspiracy theorist's corkboard.

Would have been number 1 if yamato hadn't come out of nowhere to dominate

Think about it

I don't think it would have won. Had it not been for Yamato, a lot of people might have put some of the other contenders like Eccentric Family, Flowers of Evil or From the New World higher. A bandwagon would have likely built around some other show instead of Yamato.

It's hard to get people to vote for a show for two years in a row, I'm pretty sure it's the first to make the top 10 twice.

Fate/Zero did it between 2011/2012, and Jojo also pulled it off this year.

Branduil

I don't think it would have won. Had it not been for Yamato, a lot of people might have put some of the other contenders like Eccentric Family, Flowers of Evil or From the New World higher. A bandwagon would have likely built around some other show instead of Yamato.

Fate/Zero did it between 2011/2012, and Jojo also pulled it off this year.

Fate/Zero was 2 seasons. JoJo is also first.

I'm glad that almost all of the stuff I voted for placed highly or made it into the top 20. Yamato and Wolf Children's spots were well deserved. Poor Rozen Maiden. :(

to those who have seen it how does Space Battleship Yamato compare to LOGH after seeing that all other space opera seems like amateur hour (live action included) is it worthy?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
to those who have seen it how does Space Battleship Yamato compare to LOGH after seeing that all other space opera seems like amateur hour (live action included) is it worthy?
I knew nothing about both, and I just couldn't get into LOGH because the battles were a bit ridiculous and I didn't care about any of the characters or the sides that they fought for.

Yamato grabbed me by the balls right from the first episode.

Soriku

Kill la Kill at #2? And above Attack on Titan? WTF lol. I swear people here like AoT more.

Kuroko season 2 got robbed mang. Though I imagine that's mainly because no one's watching it. But anyway, Kuroko is excellent. Highly recommended, even if you don't like basketball much (I don't).

Gotta watch From the New World soon.

I knew nothing about both, and I just couldn't get into LOGH because the battles were a bit ridiculous and I didn't care about any of the characters or the sides that they fought for.

Yamato grabbed me by the balls right from the first episode.

LOGH is kinda hard to get into for real but I have yet to come across a sci fi series so rich complex with so many great characters since.

Still hearing so much praises for Yamaoto is definitely making me want to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom