• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Anime of the Year Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilisk

Ohohohohohoho

The ether is coming out from every side!

image.php

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Monogatari isn't in top 10 because of this:
tumblr_m5munfBTsi1ryqc1xo1_500.gif

Most people wrote off the series then. The only people left were degenerates like me.

Thoraxes

Would have been number 1 if yamato hadn't come out of nowhere to dominate

Think about it

Such a strange twist of events, too.

It was a late bloomer as far as the yearly-schedule and our community's awareness goes, so it was a rather pleasant surprise. I think (because of anecdotal evidence) a majority of the people who watched it viewed it in the last quarter of the year.

Most people wrote off the series then. The only people left were degenerates like me.

And me.

LordCanti

The only people left were degenerates like me.

I'm like Araragi now; I need things to be extra lewd or they just aren't worth my time anymore.

That Sekai Seifuku isn't super lewd is the disappointment of the season for me. It's less lewd than Yozakura. What kind of bullshit is that?

Take off Maou-sama and I'd say its a pretty good top 10.

I completely forgot about Maou when voting despite really enjoying it. It truly was the biggest dark horse to make the top 10 cause it feels like no on talked about it or thought much of it until it made the top 10 lol

akaoni

Banned
Does that scene happen in the latter half (I've seen up to 14~ or something) of the series because I can't remember if I have seen it and should know what it is. I'm thinking perhaps incest.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I'm a strange case in that I made it through Nise mostly unscathed, but then my interest faded somewhere into SS after I realized that I felt that most of the character arcs in Bakemonogatari were entirely satisfying left as they were and didn't need dragged back out for further embellishment. I made it to whenever it turned out that Nadeko was possessed by her snake again and at that point I became too scared of SS undoing Bake's resolutions. Nise was bad sometimes, but it didn't threaten to retroactively mess with anything.

I've started to watch Gundam because of you guys, it's good so far.

Episode 8 of that season was glorious, Monogatari season 2 was awesome.

Haly

Like I said, perverts and degenerates.

Gutter filth.

Would have been number 1 if yamato hadn't come out of nowhere to dominate

Think about it

I don't think anyone actually thought about it considering how high KLK was already. Although it would probably be possible for Eccentric Family to take over since votes most likely would've shifted to that one instead.

I don't think anyone actually thought about it considering how high KLK was already. Although it would probably be possible for Eccentric Family to take over since votes most likely would've shifted to that one instead.

I don't think the audience that voted for Yamato would have voted for EF instead, I imagine Yamato and KlK have more cross over then either series and EF

I voted for KLK but number 2? Nah man, thank goodness Yamato came to save the list and redeem last years number 1.

I watched Hyouka because of that and was bored out of my mind, smh.

LordCanti

I'm a strange case in that I made it through Nise mostly unscathed, but then my interest faded somewhere into SS after I realized that I felt that most of the character arcs in Bakemonogatari were entirely satisfying left as they were and didn't need dragged back out for further embellishment. I made it to whenever it turned out that
Nadeko was possessed by her snake again
and at that point I became too scared of SS undoing Bake's resolutions. Nise was bad sometimes, but it didn't threaten to retroactively mess with anything.

It doesn't undo anything that Bake did. It makes you look at a lot of the characters in a new light and it gives closure to a lot of story lines from Bake as well.

I really liked it. I hated the recap episodes with a passion and Shaft clearly wasn't on their A game with the animation in some spots, but it's worth finishing. The last arc in particular is aaaamaaaazingggg.

Like I said, perverts and degenerates.

Gutter filth.

Gomigumi.

JoeFu

Banned
I don't think I'm a pervert or anything and I voted Monogatari SS as my number 1 haha.

I really really like the show and it probably has something to do with me just marathoning the show like crazy. I watched bake-nise-neko- and the latest season in a few days.

Gazoinks

I'm more sad about Rozen Maiden's complete non-showing. It deserved far better but AnimeGAF failed it.

I voted for it! It really didn't have word of mouth power though. It would've completely missed me if I hadn't noticed you talking about it.

Giolon

Seeing Kill La Kill at #2 really makes me happy. I forgot to vote, but it would've been my #1 pick. It's become one of my favorite anime series of all time. I just hope it sticks the landing well enough to stay there. The twist in the most recent episode bodes really well for it doing so.

Attack on Titan probably would've been #2 on my list. I haven't found any other show that had me on the edge of my seat repeatedly for quite some time.

Other shows I really enjoyed last year include Monogatari S2 and Golden Time.

I haven't seen Yamato 2199 yet, but I've been interested in it for a while. Taking the #1 spot really pushes my interest in it even higher.

Also, watching people complain about what other people like: hilarious and depressing.

LordCanti

So basically, Yamato saved this thread from having a KLK victory.

Yeah but on the other hand, Uchouten Kazoku didn't make #1. That's the real tragedy here.

I've seen a hundred space operas but never have I seen a nude woman catch a whale by the tail and then fly it into the air.

Solid list. Surprised at how Love Lab and Maou sama charted. I thought the latter got extremely weak halfway in.

Still a few I havent watched yet from the list so time to catch up.

LowerLevel

Interesting list. I have to admit though, like the byline said, Attack on Titan has me watching an anime series after years of just not finding any that looks entertaining enough. Honestly wouldn't have watched Attack either if it wasn't for the Subaru commercial. And like Giolon said, it had me hooked since episode 3. Damn anime has me not using my spare time to play games...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm a strange case in that I made it through Nise mostly unscathed, but then my interest faded somewhere into SS after I realized that I felt that most of the character arcs in Bakemonogatari were entirely satisfying left as they were and didn't need dragged back out for further embellishment. I made it to whenever it turned out that Nadeko was possessed by her snake again and at that point I became too scared of SS undoing Bake's resolutions. Nise was bad sometimes, but it didn't threaten to retroactively mess with anything.
It doesn't undo anything that Bake did. It makes you look at a lot of the characters in a new light and it gives closure to a lot of story lines from Bake as well.

I really liked it. I hated the recap episodes with a passion and Shaft clearly wasn't on their A game with the animation in some spots, but it's worth finishing. The last arc in particular is aaaamaaaazingggg.

Gomigumi.
If anything, Monogatari SS satisfies a lot of the arcs from the previous seasons and shows a clear design or intent that spans the entire series. It's not just a matter of a callback, it's a matter of actually planning ahead to having the arcs pay off long into the future.

I love that so many people voted for KLK only to complain that it did well.
If only it was KKK?!

The films list matches my own, and even in the same order. That's a bit of a surprise considering I've read more complaints about the later part of Garden of Words than I have praise for the film. That might just be coincidental, but either way I'm glad it made it because obviously I think it deserves to be there.

The TV list is pretty solid as well. There's a good amount of quality on there, even if Rozen Maiden was screwed. I thought more people would have voted Love Lab though. Feels weird having a KLK avatar when I didn't vote for or even mention the show lol

Also, nice job BGBW. The presentation is great and the Akari statue is a nice touch. Try and ignore her now, world.

Evilisk

I didn't vote for KLK.

Actually all of the people dropping in just to vote for KLK only was what made me vote any shows at all, despite the fact I only finished a handful of shows at all last year. Otherwise I would have just gone with Movie/OVA votes.

I voted for KLK and you even quoted me but I don't think it should be that high on the list lol. I only watched three anime that are from 2013 and I put them all on my vote. Oh well, at least I now know what anime to watch. Yamato and Flowers of Evil are on my to watch list.

Jex

Gundam Build Fighters in the top 10? It's a show about kids that make plamo's and then fight them. It's flashy at times but outside of the mobile suits, it has almost none of what makes Gundam Gundam. Unless you're going to tell me that the kid starts actually fighting in a real Gundam at some point during the season.

That neatly encapsulates why it's so great. It's only about the Gundam themselves!

Haly

Some people think Gundam is about war and colonization and post-humanism and homosexuality and floating in space without your clothes on

Those people are wrong.

Gundam is about Gundams.

CDiggity

Ah voting, it makes my inner statistician happy.

Just curious, is it possible to find out the average rank of each show among the people that voted for it? Curious on the whole quantity vs quality idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom