• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Anime of the Year Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

Monogatari isn't in top 10 because of this:
tumblr_m5munfBTsi1ryqc1xo1_500.gif

Most people wrote off the series then. The only people left were degenerates like me.

Hey now.

I'm like Araragi now; I need things to be extra lewd or they just aren't worth my time anymore.

That Sekai Seifuku isn't super lewd is the disappointment of the season for me. It's less lewd than Yozakura. What kind of bullshit is that?

Hey now! Leave my Plamya out of your dirty mind.

sonicmj1

EDIT: Rozen Maiden got robbed :(

You guys really should get over the dolls aspect and watch it.

Every time I think about watching it I wind up remembering "DESU DESU DESU DESU" and my enthusiasm flies out the window.

I guess it can't help being related to crappy older material, but it's still a big hurdle for me.

zeroshiki

Every time I think about watching it I wind up remembering "DESU DESU DESU DESU" and my enthusiasm flies out the window.

I guess it can't help being related to crappy older material, but it's still a big hurdle for me.

For what its worth, she shows up really late and isn't really an important character this time around. For all intents and purposes this one has nothing to do with the original series and its a story of how a NEET is able to face himself and force himself to man up and get back into society. The dolls are kind of the mechanism to get him there but it works either way.

Dresden

Fear not, she's barely in the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You want Bakemono and Monogatari S2, not Nise. Unless you have an unhealthy obsession with dental hygiene... in which case you can go nuts.
Without Nisemonogatari, Monogatari S2 doesn't really work. Specifically the final arc.

LOGH is kinda hard to get into for real but I have yet to come across a sci fi series so rich complex with so many great characters since.

Still hearing so much praises for Yamaoto is definitely making me want to try it.
I'm a fan of mil-SF in particular and Yamato is really the best thing since Babylon 5 in terms of television SF. I wanted to like LOGH, but Yamato is just so easy to get into because it hits all those mil-SF buttons so perfectly.

Crayolan

Surprised to see 2 of the 3 anime I watched this year in the top 10. Maybe next year I'll have actually watched enough to convince myself to vote.

Will I go mentally insane by entering this rabbit hole?
You might go insane if you start wondering why SHAFT hasn't made the Kizumonogatari move yet, but otherwise? No
Without Nisemonogatari, Monogatari S2 doesn't really work. Specifically the final arc.
I know

I was just joking a bit. Some people might take me serious, though. You are probably right there.

Neko black->Bake->Nise->Mono S2 for you new guys

Quasar

Do I get the award for having the tastes most out of line with NeoGAF? ;p

Here are where my votes ended up:
1 -> 6
2 -> 61
3 -> 53
4 -> 42
5 -> 90
6 -> 55
7 -> 109
8 -> 31
9 -> 15
10 -> 120

Although I guess there were only 2 things that -no one- else voted for, so that's something!

And I thought I was out of line :)
1->3
2->14
3->22
4->52
5->41
6->15
7->11
8->18
9->16
10->45

Movies
1->3
2->21
3->35

LordCanti

FWIW, Yamato is not a better show than LOGH. Let's not get silly here.

I stand by my "it's an okay remake of a great old space opera" stance. People that loved 2199 should binge old space operas so that they can see where all the tropes came from. Start with OG Gundam. Then Zeta. Then just...watch all the Gundam's. Then shit on Build Fighters for not really being a Gundam show with me. Then get hated like it's the player haters ball 2014.

Then go down the Leiji Matsumoto rabbit hole. I'm talking Maetel, Galaxy Express, Harlock. Don't come back until you've rode the galaxy rails son.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I stand by my "it's an okay remake of a great old space opera" stance. People that loved 2199 should binge old space operas so that they can see where all the tropes came from. Start with OG Gundam. Then Zeta. Then just...watch all the Gundam's. Then shit on Build Fighters for not really being a Gundam show with me. Then get hated like it's the player haters ball 2014.

Then go down the Leiji Matsumoto rabbit hole. I'm talking Maetel, Galaxy Express, Harlock. Don't come back until you've rode the galaxy rails son.
Or you know, just start with Heinlein and Le Guin.

zeroshiki

People who want more space opera should watch Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars.

Its basically the Yamato war from the Garmillan perspective and there's no pesky Yamato or Iskandar around.

LordCanti

Or you know, just start with Heinlein and Le Guin.

That would require reading.

People who want more space opera should watch Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars.

Its basically the Yamato war from the Garmillan perspective and there's no pesky Yamato or Iskandar around.

The Yamato war from the perspective of Dessler's granddaughter and the son of that cowardly second-class knee bending scum that was shelling Earth from Pluto.

(Yamato 2199 end spoilers)
More like Crazy-Space-Bitch's Granddaughter, if CSB had decided to conquer everyone instead of Dessler.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Earthsea needs an anime rereboot.

New World is godlike, Aku no Hana is godlike, Shingeki no Kyojin is godlike, Monogatari is godlike, and I gotta watch Yamato.

Eusis

Director Miyazaki, but not the good one.
Well, it sounds like he IS the good one... with his father as the great one. But at any rate a rookie effort on material that should've been left in a master's hand by all accounts. Ah well.

Nooo don't tell me if he's an ultra con. I don't want to know. Ender's Game hasn't been the same since.
At least Heinlein's dead, though I haven't probed into his views yet. It's a bit more unpleasant to go for Orson Scott Card stuff knowing he's alive AND active, not simply saying crap but not acting in a negative way.

... And I go see what's going on with international versions of Yamato 2199, see it's being called STAR BLAZERS 2199 since they don't want to shake off the old localized name for some crazy reason, and that it looks so far like the only way to see the serie legit here is to pay $35/45 for DVDs and blu-rays respectively. I was hoping I could just stream it off Crunchyroll or something. At least many of the other shows are covered, I'd been wanting to watch some anime again for awhile.

TheRancor

What? A fan wank remake won AOTY? Originality is dead! Otaku are plaguing the industry! They rather draw aliens than real people!

#Miyazakiwasright

Sweet victory

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice work on the thread, thanks.

Felt like GBF should have been higher, really enjoyable.
Sad to see Log Horizon and Kyousogiga so low. Shocked to see Panzer at 20, though a ton of people really liked it.
Pretty nice diverse list for the top 10.
Fuck yeah @ Yamato!

ibpVzpGR9rkQaM.png

Glad my quote got selected ;_;
Go in a corner and watch LoGH now. shameful.
to those who have seen it how does Space Battleship Yamato compare to LOGH after seeing that all other space opera seems like amateur hour (live action included) is it worthy?
It's a real nice show and does exactly what it sets out to do while having sensible characters / motives on both sides with lots of lasers and CHARGE.
I knew nothing about both, and I just couldn't get into LOGH because the battles were a bit ridiculous and I didn't care about any of the characters or the sides that they fought for.

Yamato grabbed me by the balls right from the first episode.
How far did you get in? I'm bit surprised since I ended up liking most of the characters. LoGH is something you need to want to watch (or give it enough time) imo. After I decided to start it (seemed daunting) I didn't put it down. Was a productive week...

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Yamato 2199 is way better than any of the old gundams honestly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How far did you get in? I'm bit surprised since I ended up liking most of the characters. LoGH is something you need to want to watch (or give it enough time) imo. After I decided to start it (seemed daunting) I didn't put it down. Was a productive week...
I watched 3 or 4 episodes. I also watched all of Tytania, so based on what I know, I assume the show is big on political exposition which I don't really find all that interesting unfortunately.
The fact that the opening battle has no real sense of scale (what does it matter when they are talking about hundreds of thousands of ships mashing into each other?) also kind of put me off.

zeroshiki

If you think of LOGH as this massive land war and convert all the space babble into army stuff, everything makes way more sense.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I watched 3 or 4 episodes. I also watched all of Tytania, so based on what I know, I assume the show is big on political exposition which I don't really find all that interesting unfortunately.
The fact that the opening battle has no real sense of scale (what does it matter when they are talking about hundreds of thousands of ships mashing into each other?) also kind of put me off.
I think the movie that sums up the first 3 episodes presents itself far better (I did that).
Scale wise you'll understand the corridor maps of travel when the series brings them up. LoGH does spend a good amount of time on lore building which is also kinda part political exposition, although it's more these characters stuck in these politics(?)

If nothing by the end of episode 7 intrigues you, maybe save it for later. Also skip the episode previews since they spoil stuff!
Just going through the episode list and I forget how fast it moves early on relative to everything that happens.

Akainu

Kill la Kill shows that you don't need to have a good story or interesting plot, just style, flair and fan service is enough to have people raving.
Or be good.

Hunter x Hunter got robbed. Kill la Kill has no business being second. This is how George Bush got elected twice.

edit: ooooh I was Quoted. XD

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you think of LOGH as this massive land war and convert all the space babble into army stuff, everything makes way more sense.
Yeah, it's WW2 in space. But I just wish it was WW2 sea battles and not the Eastern Front. lol

I think the movie that sums up the first 3 episodes presents itself far better (I did that).
Scale wise you'll understand the corridor maps of travel when the series brings them up. LoGH does spend a good amount of time on lore building which is also kinda part political exposition, although it's more these characters stuck in these politics(?)

If nothing by the end of episode 7 intrigues you, maybe save it for later. Also skip the episode previews since they spoil stuff!
Just going through the episode list and I forget how fast it moves early on relative to everything that happens.
In theory, I'd like to go back to it sometime, but I don't know if that'll happen given all the other shows I haven't watched. I am itching for a science fiction show though, but assuming it's anything like Tytania, I'm not sure how far I'd make it.

hat_hair

While I agree that Hunter x Hunter should have been higher than Kill la Kill, I don't think it's a bad show by any means. It's not for everyone and it's not especially smart, but animation is a medium where style can get you a long way. If you look at the top 20, a lot of those shows have a distinctive style.
Yes, the writing is the weakest aspect, but KlK is still great at art, direction, music and voice acting. It's dumb, but it's well crafted.

Tytania sucks, LOTGH doesn't really start until episode 26.

I was once one of those horrible horrible people who gave up on LOTGH after only 3 episodes in, I didn't get back to it until months later where it became my favorite anime ever by quite a large margin.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tytania went "FUCK YOU" to me midway through, and I couldn't care less about what happened afterward. Not that it was particularly impressive to begin with, but at least it was diverting.

LOGH is grand and all, but not particularly tightly plotted as crazy shit just keeps happening for the sake of crazy shit happening until somebody FINALLY turns off the "Chaos" switch on the universe then there's peace and prosperity. In other words, more is not better. I can't pick on it too much otherwise, but that's why I'd shy away from considering it best ever or anything. Oh right, it also had a Wesley Crusher. Fuck him.

Tytania went "FUCK YOU" to me midway through, and I couldn't care less about what happened afterward. Not that it was particularly impressive to begin with, but at least it was diverting.

LOGH is grand and all, but not particularly tightly plotted as crazy shit just keeps happening for the sake of crazy shit happening until somebody FINALLY turns off the "Chaos" switch on the universe then there's peace and prosperity. In other words, more is not better.
So you think Yamato is better? I've put LOGH on the back-burner part way through because someone on GAF spoiled the hell out of it for me. I'm trying to find inspiration to finish it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So you think Yamato is better? I've put LOGH on the back-burner part way through because someone on GAF spoiled the hell out of it for me. I'm trying to find inspiration to finish it.
I actually haven't finished Yamato yet but I've loved what I've seen and it was going to beat out all the current anime I saw anyway.

I wasn't really comparing the two, just talking about LOGH specifically. To be clear, I liked it a lot overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom