• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Neogaf like button

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickwhips

I think this button should be removed. I thought it helped reenforce my views at first but I’m not sure if that is a good thing. I think off topic should be about the discussion and maybe the like button can discourage that. I think sometimes it shuts down the conversation. What does gaf think of the like button?

I can see it discouraging Gaffers actually posting. However it also potentially stops having a thousand “this^” comments.

I have no idea which way I land to be honest. That fence sitting life :messenger_sunglasses:

Papa

Banned
Couldn't disagree more. I think it helps create a positive vibe and contributes to the community cohesion. Now if you were describing a dislike button, I would agree.

quickwhips

Couldn't disagree more. I think it helps create a positive vibe and contributes to the community cohesion. Now if you were describing a dislike button, I would agree.
That’s fair. I just looked back at some post who were challenging the discussion. I think this is a great thing but can seem discouraging with the like button to challenge the conversation

petran79

Banned
Instead of typing "thank you", "I agree", "you are spot on", "sorry my mistake" I just press the "Like" button. Saves the forum hundreds of posts and bandwidth

Papa

Banned
That’s fair. I just looked back at some post who were challenging the discussion. I think this is a great thing but can seem discouraging with the like button to challenge the conversation

I think we need to look at it in terms of incentives. If you someone counters your post and it gets 5 or 6 likes while yours only gets 1, the incentive is for you to improve your arguments to garner more likes in future (assuming you care about them at all). Conversely, if there was a dislike button, it would disincentivise posting altogether and would lead to a negative echo chamber effect like Reddit. There is an argument to be made that the like button in my example enforces groupthink, but I think that's where the underlying culture helps direct its use. It's hard to quantify because it's such a subtle thing. Right now, I think the culture encourages honesty and humour rather than just parroting popular memes for upboats.

quickwhips

I actually never thought about all the “this” post or quotes with a “.”. So I admit I might be wrong. Neogaf has always given such great insight into discussions.

tenor.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think this button should be removed. I thought it helped reenforce my views at first but I’m not sure if that is a good thing. I think off topic should be about the discussion and maybe the like button can discourage that. I think sometimes it shuts down the conversation. What does gaf think of the like button?

Thanks for the feedback. But no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom