• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Open Handheld Thread

I cant wait for my r300 to arrive :)

ZOZFbun.jpg

CamHostage

This isn't about any specific Open Handheld device, more a general note, but...

Anybody who has been interested in PS2 emulation has probably found the offerings out there on Android to be depressing, thanks to some weird conditions of applications (there were only I think two Android PS2 emus, which were for pay and used open-source services improperly and had some murky advertising/spyware concerns and never ran well enough to bother with even after making money...) Things are about to change. At last, there's a group doing a free emulator and doing it right (hopefully).

jROoVr9.jpg

A new emulator called AetherSX2 is in an alpha state and on Github. Performance of PS2 on a mobile device will still be hit-or-miss (PS2 is a mutha to emulate because of how hard to custom-crunched solutions on its peculiar hardware that Xbox and Cube used more modern methods to pull off, even though the software generation is now so far back and the poly count/texturing seems like it'd be easy on even mobile hardware.) However, it is built for Vulkan/OpenGL standards, and it has a number of customizable features to it such as underclocking (which sounds bad but actually could help in ROMs that don't run full-speed have more playability) and framerate unlocking, and should improve as the app evolves and some specific game-by-game settings files are built for use.

Note when you are watching this video: this is NOT a full-speed, all-out showcase of the emulator running great on high-end phones. You will not click on this and go, "WHOA, it's perfect!" This video is intentionally showing PS2 ROM performance on a range of devices and under a variety of settings, so some games look like they're running in milk (and maybe they will on your device) and also the framerate counter is obviously no longer an indicator, but watch the Underclocking section and also take notice of the devices used in each section (towards the end Taki runs some beefy games on a Red Magic 6S Pro... games still aren't perfect, but these are stock conditions, not tuned for the ROM) to understand what you're watching.

My take is, PS2 is still going to hurt sometimes on these mobile devices, but this is a promising, more properly sourced, and hopefully playable release of PS2 emulation on Android.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

The A20 is an improved portrait-style handheld from PowKiddy based on the design of the Retroid Pocket 1. This new device comes with a more powerful processor, extra controls, and better specs.

Specs CPU: Amlogic S905D3
GPU: Mali G31 MP2
RAM: 2GB LPDDR4
Storage: 8GB
Battery: 3,000 mAh
Display: 3.5 inch IPS 640x480
Network: Wi-Fi 5 / BT 5.0

Bullet Club

The all-new AYA Neo Pro Is an absolute Powerhouse, And we now finally have a proper RYZEN 7 4800U powered Handheld Gaming PC! In this video we take a look at the retro power version of the AYA neo-pro, With an eight-core 16 thread CPU back by 16 GB of LPDDR4X Ram this Handheld is Beast and can even handle Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite, And when it comes to ruining emulators on the AYA Neo pro it will do PSP, WiiU, GameCube, PS2 and Even PS3 using RPCS3! Can it compete with the upcoming Steam Deck? We just have to wait for Valve to release to find out!

I ordered a Retroid 2+ today. Was tossing up between this and RG351V.

The Retroid 2+ is obviously more powerful but the RG351V has better build and screen quality so it was a tough choice but ended up going with the more powerful handheld so I can dick around with DC emulation.

Bullet Club

The Odin Pro handheld is the latest Android gaming handheld featuring a Snapdragon 845 processor. In this video, we benchmark PS2, PSP, PS1, Wii, GameCube, N64, 3DS, DS, Dreamcast, and Saturn emulation performance on the Odin Pro.

The Retroid 2+ is the one I'll probably get as well. Good form factor, decent power, nice screen ratio.

I had on of these, not the +, but the normal one. Build quality is shit, screen is bland and the double OS part is a pain....
Yeah I had it running in like 10 minutes, but adding games one by one via some menus was a BIG turnoff for me, along with the above.

Bullet Club

In this video, we take a look at the all-new AMBERNOC RG503 retro handheld gaming console. A beautiful OLED Display right out to the PS Vita clean and load dual stereo speakers Awesome Battery life and an RK3566 CPU is this the handheld we needed in 2022? The unit I have for review did not include and Games so you need to add your own

The RG503 is the latest retro gaming handheld from Anbernic featuring an OLED screen from the PS Vita. In this video, we will do an in-depth review of the new RG503 to decide if it is worth your consideration.

Bullet Club

The All-New AYA NEO 2 Is Coming Powered By The AMD Ryzen 6800U With RDNA2 680M iGPU and 6400MHZ DDR5 Ram! Plus the AYA Neo AIr ANd Aya Neo SLide has officially been revealed! Can with for the new Ryzen 6800U Handheld but while we wait the YA Neo Neo Looks Awesome and should hold us over.

After almost a year of waiting, we finally have an Odin Lite prototype to test. In this video, I take a look at the software, game streaming support, and Android gaming performance of the Odin Lite gaming handheld with the D900 processor.

I have the Anbernic RG351V and RG351P.

Even though it's nice playing retro games on these types of devices, do you think we'll ever see a Chinese manufacturer (or indeed anyone) decide to release their own proprietary handheld the way Panic have released the PlayDate console?

The company in question wouldn't even need to work that hard in terms of R&D. All they'd have to do is "white label" an existing design, slap their logo on it, and then ship it with a "proprietary" OS (including a heavily configured Android). Set up an online shop, and then release low budget indie games (like Panic have done with the PlayDate).

I look at something like the Miyoo Mini V2 (which is about $60), and I can only imagine the possibilities of what can be achieved by a company that decides to release their own "proprietary" handheld format using the same tech. Throw in a free bundled game, and you basically have the GameBoy / Tetris bundle all over again. Worst case scenario, you'll have a glorified Game & Watch.

Rodolink

I have the Anbernic RG351V and RG351P.

Even though it's nice playing retro games on these types of devices, do you think we'll ever see a Chinese manufacturer (or indeed anyone) decide to release their own proprietary handheld the way Panic have released the PlayDate console?

The company in question wouldn't even need to work that hard in terms of R&D. All they'd have to do is "white label" an existing design, slap their logo on it, and then ship it with a "proprietary" OS (including a heavily configured Android). Set up an online shop, and then release low budget indie games (like Panic have done with the PlayDate).

I look at something like the Miyoo Mini V2 (which is about $60), and I can only imagine the possibilities of what can be achieved by a company that decides to release their own "proprietary" handheld format using the same tech. Throw in a free bundled game, and you basically have the GameBoy / Tetris bundle all over again. Worst case scenario, you'll have a glorified Game & Watch.
why do that when they can still sell the consoles like they are, bundled with hundreds of illegal copies of games? I mean why would they spend resources developing games that probably will suck and that probably nobody would want.
Panic is in another level their bet was very risky and they created a very unique business proposition. Hard to see that repeating soon but who knows.
Remember that what drives hardware sales is the software. (unless tou have a very unique gimmick like Panic's)

why do that when they can still sell the consoles like they are, bundled with hundreds of illegal copies of games? I mean why would they spend resources developing games that probably will suck and that probably nobody would want.
Panic is in another level their bet was very risky and they created a very unique business proposition. Hard to see that repeating soon but who knows.
Remember that what drives hardware sales is the software. (unless tou have a very unique gimmick like Panic's)
I think Panic took on needless risk when they tried to make a "designer handheld". All they had to do was "white label" existing tech, and modify it to suit their requirements. That's what Nintendo did with the Switch.

Software production isn't even that expensive (in the grand scheme of things). Just hire a lone coder (from China etc) if you have to, and ask them to make a game in 12 months. That should only set you back about $20,000 (max).

I'm just looking at the Miyoo Mini. That can be had for $41.25 per unit, and can be customised if 500+ are ordered.

Let's just say that you order 1000 units. That's $40,000. Add another $20,000 for the game. That makes it $60,000.

$60,000/1000 = $60 is the break even price.

All you would need to do is set up a "pre-order campaign" that pays for manufacturing etc (like what Panic did with the PlayDate), and sell the handheld for around $80. You'd only need to sell 1000 units, and even if you had the pre-order campaign open for 3 months, you'd still be able to offload 1000 units.

After all... That's kind of what those "limited run" companies do with regards to their own "pre-order campaigns". They first get the pre-order money, and then use that money to fund production / manufacturing.

You make it out as if there's a lot of risk in making a handheld, when the figures pretty much prove that there's hardly any risk involved.

Last edited:

Rodolink

I think Panic took on needless risk when they tried to make a "designer handheld". All they had to do was "white label" existing tech, and modify it to suit their requirements. That's what Nintendo did with the Switch.

Software production isn't even that expensive (in the grand scheme of things). Just hire a lone coder (from China etc) if you have to, and ask them to make a game in 12 months. That should only set you back about $20,000 (max).

I'm just looking at the Miyoo Mini. That can be had for $41.25 per unit, and can be customised if 500+ are ordered.

Let's just say that you order 1000 units. That's $40,000. Add another $20,000 for the game. That makes it $60,000.

$60,000/1000 = $60 is the break even price.

All you would need to do is set up a "pre-order campaign" that pays for manufacturing etc (like what Panic did with the PlayDate), and sell the handheld for around $80. You'd only need to sell 1000 units, and even if you had the pre-order campaign open for 3 months, you'd still be able to offload 1000 units.

After all... That's kind of what those "limited run" companies do with regards to their own "pre-order campaigns". They first get the pre-order money, and then use that money to fund production / manufacturing.

You make it out as if there's a lot of risk in making a handheld, when the figures pretty much prove that there's hardly any risk involved.
You can hire a coder and make just a game yes, but my point is you need a good game to sell the device or make a real cool idea device to make it on its own.

You can hire a coder and make just a game yes, but my point is you need a good game to sell the device or make a real cool idea device to make it on its own.
Game And Watch was successful.

And $80 for a Special Edition of the game isn't even that big of an ask.

LRG do it all the time with their "special edition limited edition games" (which aren't even that good half of the time).

Bullet Club

The makers of the Odin Pro Android Gaming Handheld just announced the AYN LOKI and the specs look amazing! Loki will be available With an AMD Ryzen 7 6800U Or Ryzen 5 6600U chips with RDNA 2 graphics And Intel Alder Lake processor with Intel integrated graphics and priced from $299 up to $799. Looking forward to seeing how these perform for sure!

That $299 one could end up being pretty good if they choose the right chip and it has a good 720p screen.

Bullet Club

AYA just Announced an upcoming handheld powered by AMD's new Mendocino APU and it is priced at $289 and
We’ve got new info like Specs Price and gaming benchmarks for the Aya Neo Air and Aya Neo Air Pro. Is it gonna be able to compete with the Steam Deck?
They also revealed Aya Neo OS and it is based on Linux!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Ayn Loki Mini now comes with a Pentium 8500 or also an AMD Mendocino.

So Aya and Ayn will go head to head with 280/290 buck costing mini handhelds.

An outside contender for these is actually Anbernic with its Win600. Using 2c/2t AMD 3020E or 2c/4t Athlon Silver 3050E, it will have Vega 3 graphics.
So whereas the Mendocino handhelds sacrifice GPU for additional CPU cores, Win600 has more GPU cores (192 on 128).

However, the Mendocino's likely will outperform the Win600 just by linear improvement (different procede, modern GPU) alone.

Having said that, the Win600 should end up being the cheapest due to its specs. Essentially a Athlon 3000G in mobile package (or an Atari VCS, if you will), Win600 should be just okay for 720p gaming on older PS4/XBO grade titles (Doom Eternal 720p 40-45 fps on low) It should do great however on most games from the PS360 generation and F2P eSports games.

If Win600 can be 250 or lower, it would be quite a steal and a good Switch Lite competitor. Vega 3 has shown it has some chops and you could get a better-than-Switch experience with it. Especially indie shooters would run great on this machine.

For me, i am glad this is going to be a thing. I do plan and look for a Steam Deck, but have no interest in paying the premium (Even when a 6800U looks so good). But 200-300 buck range getting this kind of performance for a handheld is pretty staggering.

Lets put it like this: An Atari VCS for a similar price is useless because you can get so much better. But for a handheld, this stuff is pretty amazing. As long as you keep into mind what you use it for, these lower end PC handhelds (Which you can still use as a PC/console anyway by docking!) will bring cheap Steam PC gaming to the masses.

So ill be looking for a Air Plus or Loki Mini with Mendocino or a Win600. Because why not.

Last edited:
Ayn Loki Mini now comes with a Pentium 8500 or also an AMD Mendocino.

So Aya and Ayn will go head to head with 280/290 buck costing mini handhelds.

An outside contender for these is actually Anbernic with its Win600. Using 2c/2t AMD 3020E or 2c/4t Athlon Silver 3050E, it will have Vega 3 graphics.
So whereas the Mendocino handhelds sacrifice GPU for additional CPU cores, Win600 has more GPU cores (192 on 128).

However, the Mendocino's likely will outperform the Win600 just by linear improvement (different procede, modern GPU) alone.

Having said that, the Win600 should end up being the cheapest due to its specs. Essentially a Athlon 3000G in mobile package (or an Atari VCS, if you will), Win600 should be just okay for 720p gaming on older PS4/XBO grade titles (Doom Eternal 720p 40-45 fps on low) It should do great however on most games from the PS360 generation and F2P eSports games.

If Win600 can be 250 or lower, it would be quite a steal and a good Switch Lite competitor. Vega 3 has shown it has some chops and you could get a better-than-Switch experience with it. Especially indie shooters would run great on this machine.

For me, i am glad this is going to be a thing. I do plan and look for a Steam Deck, but have no interest in paying the premium (Even when a 6800U looks so good). But 200-300 buck range getting this kind of performance for a handheld is pretty staggering.

Lets put it like this: An Atari VCS for a similar price is useless because you can get so much better. But for a handheld, this stuff is pretty amazing. As long as you keep into mind what you use it for, these lower end PC handhelds (Which you can still use as a PC/console anyway by docking!) will bring cheap Steam PC gaming to the masses.

So ill be looking for a Air Plus or Loki Mini with Mendocino or a Win600. Because why not.
Don't you think Anbernic are going a bit silly though with their numerous handhelds?

Although saying that, I'm glad that they're verging into the "premium" territory.

Surprised that Anbernic haven't put out a Android handheld. Everything else that they've done has been Linux powered.

Redneckerz

Don't you think Anbernic are going a bit silly though with their numerous handhelds?

Although saying that, I'm glad that they're verging into the "premium" territory.

Surprised that Anbernic haven't put out a Android handheld. Everything else that they've done has been Linux powered.
I think that Anbernic is losing a streak which i hope the Win600 will correct provided it is significantly lower than a Mendocino handheld.

199/219 or something like that. Fits right into Switch territory and the Zen 1 + Vega 3 combination is usually a bit better (and atleast more versatile).

Bullet Club

Well we just got news on a bunch of new X86 Handheld from AYA and Ayn! From low cost Intel alder lake handhelds to higher end Ryzen 6000 even an i3 1215 from AYA and AMD Mendocino! Ayn has the Loki , Loki Mini, Loki Mini pro. AYA Neo has the Aya Neo Air Plus and the Aya Neo Geek 2. 2022 is definitely the year of the Handheld Gaming PCs.

I think that Anbernic is losing a streak which i hope the Win600 will correct provided it is significantly lower than a Mendocino handheld.

199/219 or something like that. Fits right into Switch territory and the Zen 1 + Vega 3 combination is usually a bit better (and atleast more versatile).
I know that Steam Deck is a handheld... And so is the Anbernic.

But do you think we're on the cusp of a new dawn of "Steam Machines"?

I'm just looking at all these cheap X86 SBC that go for about $60-80...

Surely you could just grab one of these SBC, attach them with your own Linux distro... Sell them for about $100.

You won't even need to worry about controllers or screens. Just use your existing bluetooth controllers and normal TV screen.

It could work.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

I know that Steam Deck is a handheld... And so is the Anbernic.

But do you think we're on the cusp of a new dawn of "Steam Machines"?
Perhaps in handheld form, yes. All of these can run Steam OS or Linux.

For dedicated machines, doubt it. Valve could do well with a Steam Deck console using the AMD Aerith, but it all depends on how much they optimize games for it. Optimization is the key difference between the console and the PC.

A Win600 console basically already exists in the shape of an Atari VCS, which also Zen 1 + Vega 3.

I'm just looking at all these cheap X86 SBC that go for about $60-80...

Surely you could just grab one of these SBC, attach them with your own Linux distro... Sell them for about $100.

You won't even need to worry about controllers or screens. Just use your existing bluetooth controllers and normal TV screen.

It could work.
They used to do this with the Atom Z3735, but the other way around. Make a tablet based around that and you have a cheap x86 handheld that (at the time) could run some games.

And yeah, the ultra low end is a lot better these days, to the point where you could run PS360 quality games with quite ease for that price. I find that ''PS360-equivalent'' is a good measurement of performance when picking up entry-level gaming. As PS360-equivalent is basically 720p30 low, that bar nowadays isn't high.

Perhaps in handheld form, yes. All of these can run Steam OS or Linux.

For dedicated machines, doubt it.
I still think that we could see a few "indie companies" release "indie" hardware that incorporates both a SBC and a custom Linux OS.

Obviously, Anbernic and Valve are going down the handheld route. But handhelds are also a tad more expensive, and don't offer as much power.

If Anbernic can release a "PC" handheld. Then it shouldn't be too hard for a small Western company to also release a "PC" under-the-TV console.

In terms of offering equivalent power, handhelds are generally more expensive anyway - if only because the manufacturer needs to take into account the additional screen and controller costs.

You don't need to worry about that if you're thinking of releasing a under-the-TV console.

The consumer can plug in any controller via Bluetooth, and they can also connect to their HDTV.

EDIT: I know that this is a handheld thread. But there could be cheap consoles made out of all these SBC.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

One of the upcoming AYA Neo Air plus handhelds is going to be powered by an Intel Alder Lake i3 1215U and in this video, we see how well this CPU can handle High-End Emulation! Spoiler Alert! It's Awesome! With 6 Cores and 8 Threads, this i3 Alder Lake CPU is an amazing little chip and with the AY Neo Air Plus only costing $269, this is looking like the best budget emulation handheld so far!

Bullet Club

The All-New Ambernic RG353P is here and in this video we see how well it performs and if it's worth buying? The RG353P run android or Linux and is powered by an RK3566 CPU with 2GB Of ram. we test some emulation in android like GBA, N64, PS1, Dreamcast and PSP

Bullet Club

The RG353 is the latest device from Anbernic, and it is a model that I have been waiting to get for a very long time. In this in-depth review, we examine the RG353’s features, build quality, buttons, and software to see if it is worth the asking price.

Bullet Club

A New Ryzen 6800U handheld is almost here and it's by a company known as AOKZOE, Packing a powerful Zen 3+ RDNA2 APU and backed by LPDDR5X ram this handheld should give us some amazing performance on the go! The AOKZOE 6800U also has an 8” 1920x1200 Screen and a 45Wh battery with 100 Watt PD charging, dual stereo speakers, built-in gyro, and RGB lighting! Oh yeah, it runs Windows 11 and Steam OS, Is this what we’ve been waiting for to beat Valves Steam deck?

Bullet Club

In this video, we take alook at the all-new WIN600 from Anbernic. They Finally made an X86 handheld that runs Windows and Steam OS! Powered by an AMD Athlon SIlver 3050e with Radeon Vega 3 Graphics and backed by up to 16GB of ram! This is not my review video of the Win600 this is more of a first look, Unboxing, Benchmarks, Gaming, and emulation test video. More videos are coming soon.

Bullet Club

New budget-friendly x86 handhelds are on the way powered by the Intel i3 1215U from AYN and AYA and I believe these are going to be some of the best for emulation having already tested switch, Wii, WiiU, GameCube, Xbox ps2, and ps3 on this chip but what about PC gaming? Well, in this video, that's precisely what we will look at PC gaming on the Intel alder Lake i3 1215U.

1WD9zQc.jpg

Bullet Club

The Odin Lite looks like it could be the one to get if you want a good emulation system at a decent price.

After almost a year of waiting, the Odin Lite is finally shipping out to backers. In this video, we do an in-depth review of the Odin Lite's thermal performance, emulation ability, and hardware features.

-Odin Lite Specs-
CPU: Dimensity 900
GPU: Mali G68 MC4
RAM: 4GB LPDDR4x
Storage: 64GB UFS 2.1
Battery: 6600 mAh
Display: 5.98 inch IPS 1920x1080
Network: Wi-Fi 6 / 4G Data
Bluetooth: 5.2

DEFDVj9.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone got Miyoo Mini v2 or v3 ?
Seems like a real portable device. I am giving away my steam deck for Christmas as I found myself not using it too much or at all.
Steam Deck is just this huge thing that is incredible but it's too unwieldy for small games and for real games, I got ps5 and pc.
If this runs all consoles up to ps1, then could be interesting. Maybe I would finally play ff7 and snes games as I never had snes.
For 50$ why not. Although it's impossible to buy. I can't find it.

I am also interested in Playdate but 180$ is a stretch...

Rodolink

Anyone got Miyoo Mini v2 or v3 ?
Seems like a real portable device. I am giving away my steam deck for Christmas as I found myself not using it too much or at all.
Steam Deck is just this huge thing that is incredible but it's too unwieldy for small games and for real games, I got ps5 and pc.
If this runs all consoles up to ps1, then could be interesting. Maybe I would finally play ff7 and snes games as I never had snes.
For 50$ why not. Although it's impossible to buy. I can't find it.

I am also interested in Playdate but 180$ is a stretch...
I have one, is a great mini game boy, quality is very good too. auper happy with it.
Just keep in mind is small, like a pack of cigarettes, Idyprefee something bigger for lomger gaming sessions.
Take a look at the retroid pocket 3+, RG351M, RG353 or RG505, those have bigger screens and can play up to dreamcast/psp/n64

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have one, is a great mini game boy, quality is very good too. auper happy with it.
Just keep in mind is small, like a pack of cigarettes, Idyprefee something bigger for lomger gaming sessions.
Take a look at the retroid pocket 3+, RG351M, RG353 or RG505, those have bigger screens and can play up to dreamcast/psp/n64
yeah this is a concern but also a good thing,
The screen is still bigger than original gameboy... I had one shortly as a kid.
I've had my fill of horizontal handhelds with the Deck, so now I would like to try vertical again.
yeah, I see that for n64, anberic is the only option.... also better ps1 support but I think most ps1 games did not required analog dualshock.
Just a curiosity.... I will look around.

I kinda wish steam deck was vertical like this, I think it would be more comfortable. Not sre how I feel about keeping hands this weirdly wide apart

Last edited:
Top Bottom